PDA

View Full Version : shion plays Kingdom Hearts

Pumpkin
06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I've put this in the KH section because this won't be a typical Let's Play, which is also why I called it "shion plays". I am playing this on my PS3 and I don't have the necessary things to to take screencaps, so it will just be me playing it and making comments about what I think as I go along.

I'll take a few pictures here and there but they will be low quality and more just for showing game progress and such.

I have played KHII, but I've never gotten past destiny island in this game because the first time I played I was renting and ran out of time and the last time the game won't work past the very point you leave the island. So I am super excited about this!

If you have any tips for me as I go along, feel free to comment :jess:

Pumpkin
06-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Intro

So they start out by asking me to answer a bunch of questions I don't know how to answer. Like beginner or standard. Normally I would say beginner but standard says for first time players. SO CONFUSED

In the end I choose standard and then the camera question throws me off, but I go for manual.

Next, we get the opening music, and Sora sounds different than in KHII. Good opening song. Then I find myself on top of Snow White and I'm told the door is still shut. Then I get a tutorial. This is followed by choice of weapons. I would choose magic, but I figure Donald has magic, at least in the second game, so I'll pick attack. now I have to give up something in exchange, which I wasn't expecting. I choose defense.

Ideally I would have picked magic and sacrificed attack, but what can you do :monster:

Snow white shatters and I fall and find myself on top of Cinderella with a battle tutorial. I've never been a fan of having to go collect your EXP points and run after it, but this isn't the only game to do that. Dark Cloud 2 does it and that's a really good game.

Eventually Cinderella is overcome with darkness that I find myself drowning in and now I appear to be on some pink area with a door that I can't open. A treasure chest and crate and barrel appear. He has a much less impressive way of opening up treasure chest compared to the second game so far. After I do things like lift the crate, which I didn't know I could do, I can finally enter the door.

Or not. Now I find myself on the island and am being told to tell mystery letters more about myself. Who is talking to me? Serious question. Who is telling me all of these things?

First question, asked by Selphie (this is really creepy music for such a happy looking island btw)
What's most important to you?
Being number one
Friendship
My prized possessions

On these I would say friendship

Tidus then asks me
What are you so afraid of?
Getting old
Being different
Being indecisive

I say being different. It is a legit fear of mine

Wakka asks
What do you want outta life?
To see rare sights
To broaden my horizons
To be strong

I would say be strong because I feel like such a weak person mentally and emotionally, but I feel like they are asking more about physically, so I say to broaden my horizons

These guys are acting really weird o.o

So I'm told my adventure will begin midday and I should keep a steady pace and I'll do fine. I don't know what any of this means.

Now I am on sleeping beauty. I fight some more heartless and save my game and a weird stairway appears and I am not on top of Belle from beauty and the beast. My shadow decides to turn against me and becomes this huge awful heartless thing that I have to fight. After the fight, I am surrounded by darkness, but voice tells me not to be afraid because I am the one who will open the door.

Destiny Island

I wake up on the beach and Sora seems totally cool with whatever the heck just happened. Little concerned but I would be in full fit mode. He also has giant feet. Anyways, she asks Kairi about her hometown and Kairi doesn't remember. Sora, Kairi, and Riku are apparently working on a raft. Child shenanigans ensue.

So here I am on Destiny Island, a place I don't like very much. Now I need to do some silly errands. I need to gather
-2 logs
-1 cloth
-1 rope

And there doesn't appear to be a hardware store anywhere in sight. I beat up Wakka who is being significantly less creepy than before. There appears to be no reward for doing so. Selphie has a jump rope weapon which amuses me greatly. After a while (too long of a while) I find everything and bring it to Kairi. The kids talk about other worlds and stuff.

Riku gives me a fruit which supposedly keeps people a part of each others lives.

-------------

We see a scene at the castle with Donald Duck entering to see the King missing and Pluto with a letter. Pluto is the best. Donald reads the letter and freaks out, running out in to the very impressive garden to find Goofy. Donald begins to tell Goofy about something top secret, only to find Minnie and Daisy standing right behind him.

-------------

Back on Destiny Island I am beginning to regret my decision about camera control.

That's all for now :monster:

Fynn
06-14-2014, 05:29 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure the balls the enemies drop here is just health and experience is added automatically. It's only in Chain of Memories where you have to collect XP balls.

Ayen
06-14-2014, 07:35 AM
I don't remember the tutorial part at all. I do remember Destiny Island, though.

Pumpkin
06-14-2014, 08:11 PM
More update~

Okay so on Destiny Island, I am sent to collect some fish, water, coconuts, probably some other stuff I forgot. I also raced against Riku and won(?) despite not really trying. He said the winner got to share the special fruit with Kairi and when he lost he said j/k lololol [paraphrase]

I go looking for the stuff and meet a mysterious man who tells me some rude things. I bring Kairi the stuff and we have a talk about ditching Riku and going out to see the other worlds together. Then Kairi pretends she was kidding.

At some point we see a scene where we find out King Mickey left and he wants Donald and Goofy to find "they key".

Then we head to bed, ready to set out on to the world tomorrow. I find myself at Sora's house with a woman's voice calling him for dinner or bed or something, can't remember. I assume it was his mom who is never heard from again. I wonder if she knows about his plan to go out on a child made raft for who knows how long tomorrow.

Anyways, Sora sees a big storm over the island and worries about the raft, so off he goes! When he gets there he notices Riku and Kairi's boats are there, which I didn't see the significants of until later on.

I see a mysterious door which they tell me I can't go through until I find Riku. So I go see Riku who is talking all weird and saying he isn't afraid of the darkness and he becomes all dark and so does Sora and they can't grab each others hands. Eventually I have to fight this big heartless thing, looks like the one from the tutorial. I think I do this before I find Kairi but I did this last night and my memory is fuzzy.

So then I can go through the mysterious door and I find Kairi who seems quite exhausted. Suddenly some dark wind blows her away and she passes right through Sora. Eventually Sora also gets blown away.

Traverse Town

Sora finds himself waking up in a place called Traverse Town, where Donald and Goofy are looking for Leon to find the key. After Sora wakes up, talks to Cid and Donal's nephews and I realize I'm poor, I then begin to explore the town in some mildly annoying scenario where Donald and Goofy keep JUST missing me. Eventually I head back to the Cid shop and save and stop playing for the night.

---------------

Today I left the Cid shop, a bit frustrated figuring I would be stuck wandering around again, but an event is triggered immediately after I leave the shop! I find Leon who I end up fighting and losing against.

Then I wake up and Yuffie and Leon are there and in the next room Donald and Goofy have met up with Aeris. We talk about the heartless and how the key attracts them. Eventually there is another crisis and I have to go to the 3rd district, where I FINALLY run in to Donald and Goofy and we fight a big heartless thing, which I was concerned about because I had no items.

Afterwards, they talk about how the key can open the gate and I can go to other worlds. Donald and Goofy offer to have him join them on their ship. Sora asks if he can find his friends that way and they say yes and LIE TO HIM BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW.

I also go to the dog house and find out I need to rescue 99 puppies

So eventually we get to leave and I finally get to visit other worlds!!! The world choosing area is pretty different from II, and the Gummi ship battles are a bit less fun. But yay other worlds!!!! Where do I go first?

Alice in Wonderland

Yay first world!!!!

I go through the rabbit hole and see the rabbit hurrying off somewhere. Then I head through a door where the next door is tiny and tells me I'm too big. A chair and table magically appear and there are the size potions on it. So I shrink down, get attacked by fireballs, and the stupid door fell asleep :nonono:

Eventually I figure out that I have to get big again, push the bed, shrink back down, and go through the hole behind the bed. Once through there, I see Alice on trial for attempting to steal the Queen of Hearts heart, which she didn't. Sora attempts to intervene, and the Queen demands proof of her innocence.

And that's my stopping point for today!

Ayen
06-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Believe it or not, you actually can defeat Leon. Kind of. In that scenario Sora just passes out and you get some different dialog, so not really worth it in the end. But I was oh so proud when I lasted.

Pumpkin
06-16-2014, 04:26 AM
So I go try to find proof of Alice's innocence, and am beginning to regret my camera decision. I also am sad at the lack of unique command windows like in II :(

The Cheshire Cat tells me there are 4 pieces of evidence to find, 3 are necessary, 4 will give me a special prize. The evidence conveniently comes in nifty handy dandy boxes! So I find 3 and decide that's enough and I head back. The queen is a cow and adds 2 pieces of her own evidence and I only get to pick one box :| The box supposedly contains who the real culprit is

The first one I pick is Goofy :nonono:

So I try again. This time I pick Donald and Goofy :nonono:

So I try again. This time I pick Goofy :nonono:

By now I am fed-up and just go ahead and fight the Queen and her lackeys for like 20 minutes because I don't know how to progress the fight. I at this point rage quit.

------------------

A few hours later, my boyfriend pick up the game and finds the fourth clue, which leads to the cat giving me the Blizzard spell. Then he presents the evidence and picks the box with the heartless in it. The queen is still a cow and decides this also isn't good enough. Then he does the fight and accidentally stumbles upon what needs to be done to end the fight.

So I start playing again and this time I have to go find Alice, who was kidnapped during the fight. I go around and do more fights and stuff and then light up some lights, do some more fights, go to different areas and such before I have a BOSS FIGHT

I lose once and Donald keeps dying while Goofy is pretty much undefeatable. Then I try again and this time I win. The Cheshire Cat informs me that Alice is gone

That stupid door finally wakes up and it has a keyhole in it, which Sora uses his keyblade on and all is well! We decide to leave to go see if Alice is in another world. I also found some puppies at some point.

Now I am back in Traverse Town trying to collect funds for weapons. That's all for today!

Freya
06-16-2014, 06:05 AM
What are your opinions on it so far?

Pumpkin
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Honestly so far I prefer the second one, but I don't think this is a bad game by any means. The beginning of this was better because I absolutely detest the beginning with Roxas in II. It seems like I'll enjoy the story in this, its really nice to see how things got started off and from what sharky has told me, there are a number of worlds I didn't get to visit in II that I'll get to here which really makes me happy.

From a purely gameplay standpoint, so far I prefer II. I can tell where they've made improvements and I'm just more used to it also, I guess. Like I said, just simple things like the command menu being unique in every level was one of my favorite things about the game.

Something I do like is how I can already see the character development of Sora from the first game to the second. Not just in cinematic scenes, but the way he holds himself just opening treasure chests or in battles and stuff like that. I think that's a really great touch.

Fynn
06-16-2014, 04:53 PM
The beginning of this was better because I absolutely detest the beginning with Roxas in II.

:G

Pumpkin
06-16-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry Fynn, I just....

It's so dragged out. I don't care about the stupid sea salt ice cream and delivering mail by skateboard 20 times in a row because it was the only mini game job I could tolerate :colbert:

And this last time I had sharky fussing at me the whole time because Sora was going to wake up and he thinks Roxas was basically killed by Sora no matter how much I try to explain otherwise :colbert:

The mystery part was fun for the most part though.

Also, on a fun sidenote, sharky has played I, I have played II, and so now that I'm playing I, he is going to play II :jess:

Fynn
06-16-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm sorry Fynn, I just....

It's so dragged out. I don't care about the stupid sea salt ice cream and delivering mail by skateboard 20 times in a row because it was the only mini game job I could tolerate :colbert:

And this last time I had sharky fussing at me the whole time because Sora was going to wake up and he thinks Roxas was basically killed by Sora no matter how much I try to explain otherwise :colbert:

The mystery part was fun for the most part though.

Also, on a fun sidenote, sharky has played I, I have played II, and so now that I'm playing I, he is going to play II :jess:

I just love its bizarre tone, nostalgic atmosphere, bittersweet ending, nods to Chain of Memories, and just general quality writing. Hell, I personally think it's the best thing about KHII.

About the killing Rocas thing... Yeah, you guys need to play all the games :exdee:

Pumpkin
06-16-2014, 05:10 PM
I haven't played them all, but I'm talking about when Sora wakes up and Roxas is gone and sharky is all like "MURDERER :onoes:!!!!!!!!!"

It seems to me that Roxas is Sora's nobody, which means he is a part of Sora, but sharky just takes that to further mean that Sora killed Roxas. Any explanation I give just leads him to referencing some Star Trek episode and I just... ugh

We also started watching the 358/2 days video because it has Roxas in it and now he's stuck on the "If Roxas and Xion are the only ones who can use the keyblades and collect hearts then WHAT WERE THE OTHER 12 DOING BEFORE THEY CAME ALONG" (which of course is interrupted occasionally for the "SORA KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED ROXAS")

He is a very difficult man :colbert:

Freya
06-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Just finish this one and roxas makes a little bit more sense. Then play chain and 358/2 and even more sense is made. Then you play BBS and omg it all makes sense!

Ayen
06-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I remember the beginning part of KH II on a demo I played.

Not a fan.

Pumpkin
06-17-2014, 05:33 AM
Okay I do some grinding, collect some Munny, buy some weapons, and before you know it, it's off to the new world! Where am I going next?

Hercules Olympus Coliseum

That's right, the Coliseum also featured in II. I head inside and find Phil, who instructs me to move a boulder. I try and fail because the thing weighs a ton. I have a feeling this is one of those zany mistaken identity cases because Phil never bothered to look at me.

It sure was! Phil, Donal, and Sora (and Goofy I guess) argue about whether or not our trio are heroes. So Phil decides to test me with an annoying barrel destroying mini-game. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be once I got the hang of it. Also feels like kind of a waste of barrels.

Next i am apparently supposed to compete in something but I haven't yet because I limited my TV time tonight. So that's all for now~!

Fynn
06-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Just finish this one and roxas makes a little bit more sense. Then play chain and 358/2 and even more sense is made. Then you play BBS and omg it all makes sense!

Indeed it does! And then 3D comes along and turns all that on its head :monster:

Pumpkin
06-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Okay so after I complete the training a second time and Phil still won't let me in the tournament, I go to leave. Hades shows up and gives me a ticket to enter. I also see a scene with Cloud having a "contract" with Hades.

Phil finally lets me in the tournament but I can only get up to about fight 7. Then I try again and don't even get that far. Starting to regret my difficulty setting. So instead I head back to Traverse Town to replenish my items. Oh I also found some dalmatian pups.

When that's done, I head to the next world! It's been annoying having to do that stupid Gummi thing everytime I go somewhere.

Tarzan's Deep Jungle

After arguing with Donald over whether we should land or not, we kind of crash on this world. I find myself instantly attacked by a very fast jaguar. Afterwards, Tarzan shows up and Sora tries to communicate with him about his "friends" and also sees a vision of Kairi.

Donald and Goofy meanwhile are found by someone else whose name I can't remember. They also find a cube thing on the ground.

So Tarzan brings me to a tent in the woods and the tree surfing to get there has probably been the most fun thing about the game so far. At the tent, we meet Jane who can communicate much better than Tarzan. The guy who found Donald and Goofy also arrives with them and Donald and Sora feud a little bit. I'm also informed that the cube thing they found is for the Gummi Ship.

Sora tries to talk to Jane about Kairi and Riku, saying that Tarzan said they were here, so Jane wants to show him some slides to help see if something clicks. Sadly, the slides are missing!

And that is as far as I got tonight. I'll go back to the Coliseum eventually >.>

Party
Sora
Donald
Tarzan

Fynn
06-19-2014, 05:30 AM
I think the Coliseum is meant to be visited last anyway.

Have you been checking the "battle level" of the worlds? To me, that was always a good indicator of where to go first.

Ayen
06-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Phil, Donal, and Sora (and Goofy I guess) argue about whether or not our trio are heroes. So Phil decides to test me with an annoying barrel destroying mini-game.

Because nothing proves your heroism better than the destruction of private property.

Pumpkin
06-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Fynn, the Coliseum had 2 stars and the Deep Jungle has 3

Fynn
06-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Fynn, the Coliseum had 2 stars and the Deep Jungle has 3

Wat

Pumpkin
06-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Yeah :-/

Sephiroth
06-19-2014, 04:50 PM
If you go for trophies, I have written a Trophy Guide.

Pumpkin
06-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Thank you, Sephiroth, but I don't think I'll be working on trophies since this is my first time playing. I appreciate the offer though!

Neptunia
06-21-2014, 04:58 AM
I always thought that coliseum is labeled wrong on the difficulty thingy they give you. deep jungle is far easier than coliseum. you don't even have to do the coliseum to beat the story line. you can skip little mermaid as well, cause the controls suck there.

Sephiroth
06-21-2014, 06:08 AM
I always thought that coliseum is labeled wrong on the difficulty thingy they give you. deep jungle is far easier than coliseum. you don't even have to do the coliseum to beat the story line. you can skip little mermaid as well, cause the controls suck there.

How is the Deep Jungle easier? It has that Sneaky Bastard as boss. And Cerberus cannot even wound you while you stand on his shoulders while Cloud does not need to be beaten to experience the Coliseum story part.

Neptunia
06-21-2014, 07:00 AM
I always found deep jungles boss to be fairly easy, while Cerberus has always been much harder. sure you could just camp out on the guys back and let donald and goofy beat it up but where is the fun in that? It's not like you can hurt Cerberus while on its back. Deep Jungles boss turns visible once hits hp goes down enough and Clayton sits on its back while its invisible so can still hurt it.

Sephiroth
06-21-2014, 12:57 PM
It's not like you can hurt Cerberus while on its back.

You can.

Neptunia
06-21-2014, 03:33 PM
alright I was wrong you can hit it while there, thunder spam which if you have you could probably beat it to death with the blunt keyblade. or you could try and hit it with the keyblade and get hit. hell the attack pattern stops you from staying on its back the whole time. give me deep jungle's boss first anytime.

Sephiroth
06-21-2014, 07:39 PM
How does it stop you? If he stands up you jump. I spend the whole battle on his back if I want. And I did. The chameleon has devastating laser beams.

Neptunia
06-21-2014, 07:57 PM
the chameleon has devastating laser beams, that you can block or deflect with the keyblade. Cerberus jumps, tries to eat you, has great balls of fire and a strange black mist thing that tries to impale you. regardless of the fact you can camp on his back I still don't think he is a easy boss. I'm sorry I just don't see where you're coming from. my point of view is that cerby is by far the harder of the two bosses.

Sephiroth
06-21-2014, 08:04 PM
the chameleon has devastating laser beams, that you can block or deflect with the keyblade. Cerberus jumps, tries to eat you, has great balls of fire and a strange black mist thing that tries to impale you. regardless of the fact you can camp on his back I still don't think he is a easy boss. I'm sorry I just don't see where you're coming from. my point of view is that cerby is by far the harder of the two bosses.

Deflecting and blocking is impossible if you stand before him and try to take him down quickly so he cannot attack you long enough. Nothing of Cerberus' attacks can wound you easily. The Sneaker has his laser beams, including the laser wave, it has Clayton with some hard shots and Potions - they can be interrupted of course but almost everything in Kingdom Hearts can be dodged or interrupted so that should not be the counter argument. Even Dark Riku's final phase is easy if you use a special move to lower his HP fast and easy while he does not use Dark Aura. In fact I never had so much problems with Cerberus as I had with the other guy.

Neptunia
06-21-2014, 08:23 PM
I had the opposite normally took till after doing agrabah before i could deal with cerby. always found the deep jungle boss to easy. I guess it just depends on how we go about attacking them rather than what they can do. I tend to skip the little mermaid as well, cause I have no idea where I'm going without a guide and Ursula 1 is a pain in the arse.

Fynn
06-22-2014, 06:15 AM
There's one reason going to Deep Jungle first makes much more sense - you get cure for beating that world.

Sephiroth
06-22-2014, 02:55 PM
There's one reason going to Deep Jungle first makes much more sense - you get cure for beating that world.

Cure is the best spell in Kingdom Hearts but I think I have never made use of Potions so good in any other RPG.

chionos
06-22-2014, 03:38 PM
True that.

Pumpkin
06-22-2014, 08:45 PM
I played a bit more of this Friday night but nothing of note because honestly this game kind of feels like a chore

*ducks*

Fynn
06-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes, at first it's like that. But once you get out of the first Disney world triad, it gets much more enjoyable.

Pumpkin
06-22-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm looking for slides and I found a few but then I went around the jungle like 3 times and found nothing and went UGGHHHHHHHRRRHHHUUUHHH

Neptunia
06-22-2014, 09:36 PM
all the slides are in the camp.

Pumpkin
06-23-2014, 12:11 AM
WELL THEN

Sephiroth
06-23-2014, 12:14 AM
Have you climbed the tent yet?

Pumpkin
06-23-2014, 12:16 AM
I thought so? I'll do another sweep when I put it in again and look harder

Neptunia
06-23-2014, 12:52 AM
I think there's one in a box, one on top of a table full of scincey stuff, one on top of the luggage pile, one on top of the tent and another one on a canvas cover that can be jumped to from the tent and one near clayton.. i think. never was very good at giving directions.

chionos
06-23-2014, 08:21 PM
I thought so? I'll do another sweep when I put it in again and look harder

Shion, Innuendo Day was Friday, sorry you missed it.

Pumpkin
06-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Okay so I found all of the slides which took forever because Jane or whatever her name is kept telling me there were 2 more to find. AND THERE WERE NOT. So I finally looked at them and then we looked at Tarzan and then something about the gorillas.

So then we went vine swinging which I hated and Tarzan asked the gorilla for help and the gorilla walked away. Then we followed them back to the treehouse and the hunter guy tried to shoot one while lying and saying he was trying to shoot a snake. So the gorillas leave again and we head back to the camp and the girl yells at the hunter guy who leaves and once he is out of the tent he starts talking about hunting all of the gorillas. They're right there in that tent, they can hear you. Its not a sound proof booth. Then he hears something and then we hear a gunshot.

And that's what I did today!

Pumpkin
06-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Okay so I went out and fought some cute monkey heartless in several areas and the big gorilla gave me some items. I went to the bamboo areas, the hippo ponds, the vines, the treetops, the tree house, back down the tree branches and to the camp area and I'm not sure what to do next.

At one of the treetop areas there are these flowers that I use blizzard on and they say they will bloom when heartless are near, but there were heartless and nothing happened?

And that was my progress for today!