PDA

View Full Version : Sauerkraut appreciation thread

Dr Unne
06-14-2014, 01:29 AM
In this thread post how much you love sauerkraut. I just had some sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. It was great.

Do you know how many calories are in a cup of sauerkraut? 27! It's freaking miracle food.

Skyblade
06-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Sauerkraut exists to make Reuben Sandwiches. It has no other purpose.

Big D
06-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Sauerkraut is fantastic. I should really eat more, though lately I only seem to have it from the local German-style bratwurst stall, at my in-laws' house, or at the occasional SCA medieval feast.

Pumpkin
06-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Never had it, boyfriend likes it

chionos
06-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I like it, but can only handle it so often. My palate is such that the taste quickly becomes overpowering if I eat too much. Best with Polish Sausage.

Alive-Cat
06-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Can somebody please explain to me what it is? :greenie:

chionos
06-15-2014, 05:05 PM

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sauerkraut
I was just going to link Google, but since you're clearly lazy I thought I'd go one step further for you. If more is needed, just ask. Might I suggest the first listed link (Wikipedia)?

Would you like me to eat some sauerkraut for you and regurgitate it into your mouth like a baby bird?

Literally, the name literally says exactly what it is. Sauer kraut. Sour kraut (kraut being the wonder-vegetable that is cabbage).

Dr Unne
06-15-2014, 10:51 PM

Shredded, fermented (pickled?) cabbage. It's kind of sour, kind of salty, kind of super awesome.

You can eat it cold or cook it. You can put it on things as a condiment, like sausages or hot dogs. It goes well with pork.

Alive-Cat
06-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Considering I don't like cabbage, and usually don't like sour things, I don't think I would like it! Although it sounds like it would be good in a burger or something like that :greenie:

chionos
06-16-2014, 01:12 AM
I don't think I've ever had it on/in a burger. The sourness of it fits better with pork, as Unne mentioned.

Also, I cannot believe that you actually don't like cabbage. I must assume that you've simply never had it made for you properly, which is excusable. I guess.

To be honest, sauerkraut really isn't for everyone, as are most sour dishes.

Colonel Angus
06-16-2014, 01:13 AM
I prefer cole slaw.

chionos
06-16-2014, 01:17 AM
I prefer cole slaw.

Cole Slaw is a good thing also made with cabbage (hi A_M). There's no need to compare or anything. All things made from cabbage are good. That's something we can agree on, I'm sure.

Colonel Angus
06-16-2014, 01:22 AM
I prefer cole slaw.

Cole Slaw is a good thing also made with cabbage (hi A_M). There's no need to compare or anything. All things made from cabbage are good. That's something we can agree on, I'm sure.
My grandmother used to make spareribs & cabbage that was really good.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I enjoy both sauerkraut and kimchi.

I enjoy sauerkraut on reubens, with some type of sausage and mashed potatoes, or by itself.

I like kimchi with steamed rice (big surprise), certain types of fish, or by itself.

I realize they're quite different other than being pickled/fermented cabbage products.

Calliope
06-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Spuuky brought home a jar of it recently. What should I eat it with that is both gluten-free and vegan?

Dr Unne
06-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Spuuky brought home a jar of it recently. What should I eat it with that is both gluten-free and vegan?

http://fieldroast.com/product/sausage-links/ My spouse is veggie and she likes those. I'm not sure they're vegan, it says both vegan and vegetarian on the label. Also given the "grain meat" I doubt they're gluten-free. This is turning out to be a sucky suggestion. :( All I've ever eaten sauerkraut with is fatty/salty proteins, or potatoes. Maybe you know of an equivalent.

You could always eat it plain. I have a small bowl of sauerkraut by itself sometimes. It's good in small doses. A bit overwhelming in large doses though. I've heard of people making fruit smoothies with sauerkraut in it, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go there.

Sephiroth
06-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Do you know how many calories are in a cup of sauerkraut? 27! It's freaking miracle food.

I guarantee it is more than that because we are actually eating and needing kilo calories. Calories are nothing. We need about 2000-3000 kilo calories a day, so 2-3 million calories depending on our own body. This is however a common mistake made by many.

I don't like Sauekraut.

Calliope
06-20-2014, 05:45 AM

http://fieldroast.com/product/sausage-links/ My spouse is veggie and she likes those. I'm not sure they're vegan, it says both vegan and vegetarian on the label. Also given the "grain meat" I doubt they're gluten-free. This is turning out to be a sucky suggestion. :( All I've ever eaten sauerkraut with is fatty/salty proteins, or potatoes. Maybe you know of an equivalent.

You could always eat it plain. I have a small bowl of sauerkraut by itself sometimes. It's good in small doses. A bit overwhelming in large doses though. I've heard of people making fruit smoothies with sauerkraut in it, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go there.

Ah, thanks! I'm not yet strictly gluten-free (because it is delicious enough for me to endure the consequences of it on occasion), so I might just go that route; although I could marinate/bake some tofu and try that, too. There's a concert venue in Seattle I'm very fond of, and next to it is a fish and chip shop. The only thing I would eat from there was a field roast hot dog thing with sauerkraut on it, and it was always very good. On another note, perhaps we should have dinner together someday ._.

Cloudane
06-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Lovely on a hotdog with some mustard.

Hungry now...

Wolf Kanno
06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Sauerkraut exists to make Reuben Sandwiches. It has no other purpose.

chionos
06-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I've heard of people making fruit smoothies with sauerkraut in it, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go there.

I'll try it. I think it's probably one of those things that tastes much better than it sounds. Might take some experimentation to figure out exactly which fruits pair well with it. Will get back when I've figured out the best combo!

sharkythesharkdogg
06-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Pretty sure the magic combo is sauerkraut, turpentine, and durian melon.

Go for it.

chionos
06-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Pretty sure the magic combo is sauerkraut, turpentine, and durian melon.

Go for it.

mmmm, yummy