PDA

View Full Version : Some E3 Statistics - Lets Discuss

Dat Matt
06-14-2014, 03:29 PM
So I've come across some graphs that depict how E3 went down this year. I thought it would be interesting to get some discussion going around them

http://i.imgur.com/E6M7b2U.png

Based on percentages, Microsoft have the most games coming out this year

http://i.imgur.com/YTKD12y.png

Sony had the longest press conference, but spent the least amount of time showing games. Conversely, Nintendo had the shortest conference but had the longest time of showing games

http://i.imgur.com/CXnu8F1.png

Games can now be categorized 2 ways, "Shooter" or "Other". Sony showed 21 shooter games this year whereas Nintendo showed off 2.

http://i.imgur.com/RUZELy5.png

Only 10 of the games Microsoft showed are exclusive, while all 12 of the games Nintendo showed are excusive.

What are your thoughts on the above statistics? Do you think they accurately portray this years E3?

Del Murder
06-14-2014, 03:56 PM
It would be interesting to compare these to last year. I do feel a lot more games to come out next year were discussed than in the past.

krissy
06-14-2014, 04:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/n1Wcq4B.png

Wolf Kanno
06-14-2014, 06:04 PM
You know, I did feel the Sony press conference was weak for me and this graph kind of explains it to me since I don't really like shooters. The Exclusives thing also didn't surprise me very much as I felt Microsoft was still suffering from last year's issue of "every game I want I can get on the PS4 as well, so why should I bother with you?" and Nintendo's graph would be more mind boggling if they did actually have a third party game coming out for it.

Aulayna
06-14-2014, 06:15 PM
and Nintendo's graph would be more mind boggling if they did actually have a third party game coming out for it.

Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Psychotic
06-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Microsoft definitely learned lessons from last year and had a good showing. However, the exclusivity is where they fall down hard as a brand. I think they should invest in a couple of new studios. This "We get exclusive DLC! ...for a year! Maybe!" strategy has not really worked out for them.

NeoCracker
06-14-2014, 06:52 PM
and Nintendo's graph would be more mind boggling if they did actually have a third party game coming out for it.

Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Monolith was bought out by Nintendo and isFirst Party now. :p

Regardless they have third party titles, it's just they weren't announced at the main conference, but they were generally covered as the show went on.

Aulayna
06-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Bayonetta 2?

NeoCracker
06-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Also a First Party now after Nintendo Bought them out. :P

Aulayna
06-15-2014, 03:20 PM
But they're making Scalebound for XBOX One too? Can't find anything about Nintendo buying them out, only that it was on the cards a few times but never officially done.

NeoCracker
06-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Ah, my mistake, Nintendo didn't by them out, it's just in case of Baynonetta 2 Nintendo funded a good portion of the game and published it. However because of that, it's still listed as a first party title from Nintendo.

Kind of like how Hyrule Warriors is first party, even though it's the DW team who are developing it. :p

Bolivar
06-15-2014, 03:31 PM
What are your thoughts on the above statistics? Do you think they accurately portray this years E3?

No, because percentages never speak as loudly as the raw data. For example, you highlighted how at Nintendo's conference they showed a grand total of only 12 games and that told me more than any of those pie charts. All in all, I found it more interesting the pie charts you didn't show: the percentage of new IPs, third party exclusives, and how much gameplay was actually shown.

There's such an enormous gap between the length of the presses and number of games shown, you can't take percentages to understand each conference. Focusing on the three manufacturers is also too small a lens to analyze the bigger picture at E3, unless of course the console wars is something that's important to you.

NeoCracker
06-15-2014, 04:45 PM
What we need is a list of games showed off at the E3 floor, but not the press conference, but I've not found much at all on that listing.

Other then a few titles like Devil's Third, Story of Seasons, Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley, and some camera shenanagins game on WiiU I dont' give to shits about., I'm not really sure what got shown off on the floor.

nirojan
06-16-2014, 02:19 AM
Ah, my mistake, Nintendo didn't by them out, it's just in case of Baynonetta 2 Nintendo funded a good portion of the game and published it. However because of that, it's still listed as a first party title from Nintendo.

It's an interesting deal. SEGA is still the IP owner for Bayonetta. Nintendo did indeed fund and publish the game, but that does not disqualify the game from getting ported. Case in point: Ninja Gaiden 2 was funded and published by Microsoft, but it didn't stop TECMO from porting it to the PS3.

Skyblade
06-16-2014, 02:32 AM

It's an interesting deal. SEGA is still the IP owner for Bayonetta. Nintendo did indeed fund and publish the game, but that does not disqualify the game from getting ported. Case in point: Ninja Gaiden 2 was funded and published by Microsoft, but it didn't stop TECMO from porting it to the PS3.

Nintendo also funded and published the English localization of Bravely Default. Yet it is still a Square title.

Also, as to "number of games", while Bolivar is correct that Nintendo had far fewer than the others, I would like to point out that I can name and describe almost all of Nintendo's, while I can name maybe three of each of the other companies, despite having seen all of their presentations, and being really interested in Sony's to see what the PS4 had (since I'll be getting one for Persona 5 anyway).

BTW, were all of Sony and Microsoft's showcased games first party?

nirojan
06-16-2014, 03:23 AM

Nintendo also funded and published the English localization of Bravely Default. Yet it is still a Square title.

Also, as to "number of games", while Bolivar is correct that Nintendo had far fewer than the others, I would like to point out that I can name and describe almost all of Nintendo's, while I can name maybe three of each of the other companies, despite having seen all of their presentations, and being really interested in Sony's to see what the PS4 had (since I'll be getting one for Persona 5 anyway).

BTW, were all of Sony and Microsoft's showcased games first party?

Bravely Default would still exists without Nintendo. Square still would have made that game. Bayonetta 2 & Ninja Gaiden 2 would not exist without Nintendo and Microsoft, but because those companies don't control the IP, they really don't have any control over future ports (unless there are specific contract stipulations; which companies can get around like how TECMO changed just enough from NG2 and renamed it Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2).

Just a heads up, Persona 5 is coming to PS3.

MS and Sony showed a tonne of 3rd party titles. They DO NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS NINTENDO. Nintendo little to no 3rd party support. So even "multi-platform" games, probably won't come out for the Wii U (with the rare WB/ubi game being the exceptions). Sony and MS can rest on the laurels of the 3rd party publishers to fill-in gaps of their release schedules. NINTENDO CAN'T! The Wii U has had some major game droughts (5 months in the 2012-2013 period was the longest I think). Nitty needs to step it up big time.

Skyblade
06-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Bravely Default would still exists without Nintendo. Square still would have made that game. Bayonetta 2 & Ninja Gaiden 2 would not exist without Nintendo and Microsoft, but because those companies don't control the IP, they really don't have any control over future ports (unless there are specific contract stipulations; which companies can get around like how TECMO changed just enough from NG2 and renamed it Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2).

That's true, but the point that funding and publishing doesn't make it yours is still valid for all the games.

Just a heads up, Persona 5 is coming to PS3.

Well, there goes my reason to buy a PS4. Four hundred dollars saved, I guess.

MS and Sony showed a tonne of 3rd party titles. They DO NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS NINTENDO. Nintendo little to no 3rd party support. So even "multi-platform" games, probably won't come out for the Wii U (with the rare WB/ubi game being the exceptions). Sony and MS can rest on the laurels of the 3rd party publishers to fill-in gaps of their release schedules. NINTENDO CAN'T! The Wii U has had some major game droughts (5 months in the 2012-2013 period was the longest I think). Nitty needs to step it up big time.

Ok, that part was not intended as a defense of Nintendo. We all know that they're having third-party support problems.

My question remains: How many of Sony and Microsoft's products were first-party? I have no idea, to be honest.

nirojan
06-16-2014, 03:39 AM
My question remains: How many of Sony and Microsoft's products were first-party? I have no idea, to be honest.

Wait...what?

You sure this isn't what you're looking for:

At the bottom where it shows the total number of games showcased.

Exclusives:
10 for MS, 15 for Sony & 12 for Nintendo!

EDIT: Okay I think I know what you're talking about. Do you mean 1st party-titles vs 2nd party exclusives?

2nd-party exclusives being IP owned by the big 3 that's contracted out to a studio they do not own.

Then the lists will shrink dramatically.

Some 2nd party games:

"Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U" is being developed by Sora (independently owned) and Bandai Namco.

"Little big Planet 3" is being developed by Sumo Digital (independent studio).

"The Order: 1886" is being developed by Ready at Dawn (independent).

"Forza Horizon 2" is kinda 2nd party. Sumo Digital (see above), and Turn 10 (owned by Microsoft Studios) are co-developing the game, but Playground Games (Independent) is the main developer.

"Bloodborne" also falls into this category, where FROM Software (Independant) is the main developer, but it's also being co-developed by SCE Japan Studio (Obviously Sony's)

There are too many to list, but I think you get the picture. ACTUAL 1st party games are not as dominant as people think they are.