PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dragon Quest game

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2014, 09:33 AM
What it says on the tin, which Dragon Quest game is your absolute favorite?

metagloria
06-16-2014, 03:32 PM
I've only played VI, VIII, and IX, but I keep my eyes peeled for IV and V whenever I'm in a Gamestop. Of those, my favorite is probably VIII...even though I was very addicted to IX when I played it.

Motdrafin
06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
My favorite Dragon Quest game is V. I really like it because of its interesting story, spanning three generations. I also like the monster catching aspect, and its amazing soundtrack. In my opinion, it blows away every FF game.

The Man
06-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Gotta agree with Dragon Quest V, though I don't agree with it beating every Final Fantasy game.

Pumpkin
06-16-2014, 09:19 PM
So far I have played V and so I am going to go with V

I do looove this game though :omgomg:

Ayen
06-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Alas you know my terrible secret #276.

I have never played a single Dragon Quest game :(

Colonel Angus
06-17-2014, 02:34 AM
Alas you know my terrible secret #276.

I have never played a single Dragon Quest game :(
You must rectify that before you post again. I shan't read another word until you've completed every one @ 100%. Now GO!

Bolivar
06-17-2014, 05:53 PM
It's a tossup between V and VIII.

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2014, 10:30 PM
In terms of being really ahead of its time, I think DQIII is one of my favorites, in fact it might be my favorite 8-bit RPG overall though FFIII gives it a run for its money. The GBA version is nearly perfect finally updating the interface and adding a bunch of side content and adding a new addition to character building creating a deeper overall experience.

DQV I felt was the most well rounded entry and probably has the best story even if I felt it was a little forced in some parts and lacking in other places but I really enjoy Mon-Games so the combat was really fun. This all helped by the DS version which fixes most of the problems with the original version (interface, graphics, sounds, rate of monster joining you) so it has moved into being one my favorites.

DQVII I feel is the last DQ game I truly loved overall though I haven't given IX as much of a fair shot as I should. What the plot lacks in drama or compelling characters it makes up for in being clever with an overarching plot and series of events that are really interconnected but not very apparent to you until after the fact. It also has a really cool Job class system and the monster system and town building are pretty epic in this game and the most well thought out in the series. If only the pacing was better...

Del Murder
06-18-2014, 06:43 AM
DQVIII is my favorite. It took the very traditional formula from DQ and modernized it. It was great.

Sephex
06-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Either DQV or DQVIII.

I tend to like them since they are more based around the story rather than a battle system, like VI and VII were.

In terms of DQV, I am a sucker for time travel stuff (though it's light on that front), and the concept of getting monsters, having children, and taking your whole family to kick some ass was very well done.

DQVIII was simply a fun game that knew how to be goofy or dark when needed. I remember some of the boss battles made me feel tension I didn't feel since I was a child. I also loved how the developers stepped up and made the game visually appealing instead of keeping a simple look. Traditionalists freak out that it might compromise the integrity of the series, but I definitely felt like I was playing an old school RPG with a fresh coat of paint on it.

Still can't decide though. So I'll say a tie between V and VIII for now.

Bolivar
06-20-2014, 08:04 PM
I also loved how the developers stepped up and made the game visually appealing instead of keeping a simple look. Traditionalists freak out that it might compromise the integrity of the series, but I definitely felt like I was playing an old school RPG with a fresh coat of paint on it.

It was a surreal experience for me, I always liken it to an NES game built to scale and rendered with gorgeous graphics.

Sephex
06-26-2014, 09:43 AM
I also loved how the developers stepped up and made the game visually appealing instead of keeping a simple look. Traditionalists freak out that it might compromise the integrity of the series, but I definitely felt like I was playing an old school RPG with a fresh coat of paint on it.

It was a surreal experience for me, I always liken it to an NES game built to scale and rendered with gorgeous graphics.

Exactly, that's what I loved about it so much. I will never get why the most rabid fans of the game think that better graphics will suddenly make the series bad or something.

McLovin'
06-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Definitely DQVII and I'd buy a DS to play the remake for it that came out in Japan already if they bring it to NA.

Masamunemaster
07-01-2014, 06:14 AM
I just finished vi about an hour ago. It was amazing up until you beat murdaw.... I agreewith everyone else....viii

Rez09
07-01-2014, 07:03 AM
My experience with the series is fairly limited, but 3 and 9 are my favorites from what I've played.