PDA

View Full Version : Controversial pop-culture opinions

Big D
06-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Many of us have opinions. Some of us have opinions that others don't always like.

For example...

I genuinely enjoy the movie Avatar. I'm well aware that the story is not exactly original or involved, but I can appreciate a straightforward or familiar tale that's well-told. This particular film works for me because of the immersive world-building and the cast of solid archetypes.

I believe Anita Sarkeesian may be the best thing to happen to modern gaming. At the very least, one look at her most common and out-spoken detractors illustrates perfectly everything that is wrong with gaming and gamers today.

Why not share some of your own controversial views on all things popular culture?

Parker
06-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Rap music is great and I kinda dislike a whole lot of rock music and just lmao if you listen to metal above the age of 14

Perducci
06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Michael Keaton is the best movie Batman.

Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan Batman trilogy.

Ayen
06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
I thought Firefly was boring and could barely make it pass the pilot. Doesn't help that the genre mix isn't something I'm all that interested in either or that people hyped it to the moon.

I wasn't aware this was a controversial opinion.

Pumpkin
06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
I like the Star Wars prequels

Wolf Kanno
06-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I really hated Buffy the Vampire Slayer series and felt the cheesy movie was way better cause the series tried to be too serious and never properly did the occult like they should.

I feel that Alien 3 is a better movie than Aliens cause it was closer to what made the first movie better (Sci-Fi horror instead of Cameron's Vietnam War in Space!)

I don't like Tom Hanks acting, in fact I can't really think of a movie he did I really liked. While we're at it, add Sean Penn to that list as well.

I feel the new Spider-Man movies are vastly superior to the original trilogy cause Andrew Garfield truly understands who Peter Parker is while the other guy was hired cause he could cry on cue.

I feel the Tim Burton Batman films, despite their campiness at times, are just as good as the Nolan movies.

I really wish Hollywood would stop trying to put romance into everything.

I don't really like any of the X-Men movies, I kind of feel the whole franchise went off track and I am utterly perplexed why they take liberties when they really don't have to, I'm looking at you The Wolverine.

I think Doctor Who is overrated. The show is charming, if formulaic and heavy on the Deus ex Machina to resolve its plots, but I feel the fanbase has really become obnoxious in the last few years.

I feel One Piece is one of the best written Shonen series ever, it is better written than Naruto, Bleach and even Dragon Ball Z cause it actually has real character drama , balances it's drama an comedy better, has a much tighter world build than the other three and has yet to fall into the "It's OVER 9000" BS that makes all the fight scenes ridiculous.

The Man
06-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Quadrophenia is The Who's best album. In fact, nothing else they recorded even comes close. Also, Tommy isn't that great. Its best moments are excellent but there is way too much filler.

Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn are all better than The Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall. The Final Cut and Meddle are also better than The Wall (but not Dark Side).

John Cale's Paris 1919 and Nico's string of albums from The Marble Index to The End... are as good as anything the Velvet Underground recorded except maybe their first two albums.

Progressive rock is objectively more interesting music than most of the genres that became popular in its wake.

Television is much more interesting than movies right now. It would have been impossible to make a film with the storytelling and character depth of, to name two random examples, The Wire or Orphan Black, and the acting performances given in TV at its best these days are much more nuanced than anything you can find on the silver screen.
That's a fair start I guess.

Ayen
06-18-2014, 07:48 PM
I feel the new Spider-Man movies are vastly superior to the original trilogy cause Andrew Garfield truly understands who Peter Parker is while the other guy was hired cause he could cry on cue.

I feel the Tim Burton Batman films, despite their campiness at times, are just as good as the Nolan movies.

I really wish Hollywood would stop trying to put romance into everything.

(About Doctor Who) I feel the fanbase has really become obnoxious in the last few years.

I feel One Piece is one of the best written Shonen series ever, it is better written than Naruto, Bleach and even Dragon Ball Z cause it actually has real character drama , balances it's drama an comedy better, has a much tighter world build than the other three and has yet to fall into the "It's OVER 9000" BS that makes all the fight scenes ridiculous.

Television is much more interesting than movies right now. It would have been impossible to make a film with the storytelling and character depth of, to name two random examples, The Wire or Orphan Black, and the acting performances given in TV at its best these days are much more nuanced than anything you can find on the silver screen.

All of this.

Jinx
06-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Game of Thrones is, at best, a mediocre television show. The production value, sets, costumes, and music are all just phenomenal. The writing and the acting leave a lot to be desired.

Having said that, ASoIaF is at best a mediocre series. The story itself is wonderful, but GRRM isn't a great writer in terms of prose.

Lonely Paper Star
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Off the top of my head:

I don't like Steven Moffat for the most part.

I think indie music--at least, what I've been introduced to as indie music--is just as formulaic and repetitive as mainstream pop/rock music.

I don't understand people who don't understand why I like foreign music. There is more to music than lyrics alone, and it's not hard looking up the translations.

I don't care for the Weasleys.

I say this because many of my friends in real life are not nerds in the same ways we are: game music can be legitimate music, too.

I don't care much for classic rock.

Perducci
06-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I thought Firefly was boring and could barely make it pass the pilot. Doesn't help that the genre mix isn't something I'm all that interested in either or that people hyped it to the moon.

Try telling that to all the people that doubt me.

Sephex
06-19-2014, 01:18 AM
I am tried of zombies. I feel they have been played out for a few years. Yes, I know it's more about the people in zombie movies, shows, video games, etc. I don't care. I am tired of it. The idea of a zombie apocalypse is trite and uncool. No, it wouldn't be fun to shoot undead things while you are watching your back for the worst of humanity with survivors. It wouldn't be fun, period. It would be absolutely terrifying and even strong willed people would break down in such a situation.

The Walking Dead sucks. The TV show, I mean. Oh, everyone says that now? I tried watching the first season. The first episode was mildly interesting then the show launched into soap opera mode from that point on. So if people who were die hard fans of the show hate it NOW, I don't even want to waste my time catching up to that point.

This is just a general thing, but can fans calm the f*** down about certain shows? I like Doctor Who. I like Sherlock. I like a great many things. I don't tell most people these things. Why? Because most people assume you are one of this psychotic people who seriously try to make a case that The Doctor wants to bone a piece of paper just because he glanced at one in Episode 4 of season 3 or something.

Music. Why do other people worry what others listen to? Why do other people try to tell other people what they think is better? Music is a very subjective thing, and it varies from person to person. You don't make yourself look like a better person by dissing other genres of music. You look like an asshole. That doesn't mean you have to go listen to every album ever made, but is it too much to ask to let stuff like that slide? OH NOES!!! SOMEONE LIEKS A BAND OR GENRE YOU DON'T LIKE!!! OH NO, BETTER RIP OFF MY PENIS AND FLING IT IN TRAFFIC TO SHOW HOW ANGRY I AM!!! Or some other over reaction like that. It's like being angry with someone because they eat food you don't like. It's their damn body, why do you care?

black orb
06-19-2014, 01:23 AM
>>> I think everyone agrees with that, and Im not even a fan of One Piece..:luca:

Dr Unne
06-19-2014, 01:31 AM
I don't like anything to do with Disney. I went to Disney World when I was little and it was boring. People seem to have all these fond memories of Disney movies from when they were young, but I always found them vaguely creepy and the songs were annoying.

Calliope
06-19-2014, 01:52 AM
This version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NwqN-xj9Xs) of "...baby one more time" is better than the original; at least this arrangement.

I fucking hate Lord of the Rings. It's boring, and I don't care that you love it. Every time an American asks where I'm from and I say "New Zealand", I have to listen to them gush about LoTR and I have to refrain from ranting about how I'm tired of Polynesian actors being deemed good by Hollywood only to act as villains for tired old white man fantasy stories. Imagine if every time you met someone new, they asked where you from, and if you said "America", they replied with "OMG I LOVE DISNEYLAND COCA COLA IS THE BEST OMG OMG I'M SO JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU ARE FROM A LARGE COUNTRY WITH A LOT OF JUNK FOOD WOOHOO JOE CAMEL", etc.

Colonel Angus
06-19-2014, 02:01 AM
I totally agree w/ Sephex on zombies.

Big Bang Theory isn't that funny. Shelton is obnoxious.

I'm sick of Firefly fans. Shows get cancelled. Get over it.

Dragonball is vastly superior to DBZ. It has more humor, charm, & wit. Plus, there isn't a battle that last more than 5 episodes (I don't think).

Stephen Colbert on his worse day is funnier than the Jon Daily Show on his best day, & I'm saying this as a Stewart fan. :doublecolbert:

On a side note: Wolf Canoe, IDK how old you are, but if you're over 18 you need to see Bachelor Party w/ Tom Hanks. It may not change your opinion of him, but it's his best movie.

Ayen
06-19-2014, 02:43 AM
I'm sick of Firefly fans. Shows get cancelled. Get over it.

This so freaking much.

Jessweeee♪
06-19-2014, 02:52 AM
Journey's Don't Stop Believing is not the best song ever ok

Colonel Angus
06-19-2014, 02:54 AM
+1,000,000

God, I hate that smurfin' song.

Sephex
06-19-2014, 03:02 AM

*finishes Coors Light*

"Bro, I'm gonna go karaoke tonight, man. I'm feelin' it! You'll never guess what I'm gonna sing, bro!"

"What are you going to sing, Troy?"

"Don't Stop Believing!"

"Wicked!"

*Troy goes up to sing, song starts*

"JuuUUUUSTAT T A SMALL TOWN GIRJKL LIVING IN A LONNNNNELEYE WURLD!!"

*all of the panties drop in the bar*

*the weight of the vagina juice in said panties destroys the ground*

*in turn the foundation of bar is compromised*

*bar collapses*

*leaves hole that goes deep underground*

*Cthulu is unleashed*

"Thanks a lot, Troy. We'll never go to that kegger next week now!"

Jinx
06-19-2014, 03:51 AM

It's not even the best Journey song.

Wolf Kanno
06-19-2014, 06:37 AM
On a side note: Wolf Canoe, IDK how old you are, but if you're over 18 you need to see Bachelor Party w/ Tom Hanks. It may not change your opinion of him, but it's his best movie.

It was amusing, his comedies are not bad but not th type of stuff where I'm thinking to myself, "Damn, why don't I have the Blu Ray of this yet?!" Even in his comedies, he's basically a second rate Bill Murray. I just don't really like the films he does, and yes that includes his VA work.

Which reminds me...

Toy Story is not the best Pixar film, it is not even that original, Jim Henson did the concept a decade before it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Toy) and it was more dramatic and touching.

I Took the Red Pill
06-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Firefly never rose above mediocrity.

Community tries way too hard and is almost unwatchable because of it.

Batman Begins is the better than The Dark Knight.

metagloria
06-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Star Wars is not good.

Perducci
06-19-2014, 11:31 PM

This. Shouldn't have lasted three seasons. Let alone seven (or however many seasons there are, now.)

Shorty
06-20-2014, 12:58 AM
I also think LotR is overrated. I still love watching them, and I love wasting entire weekends marathoning both the films themselves and The Appendices, but still overrated.

Marilyn Monroe is not worth a damn and she should have been forgotten along with all of the other actresses of her era. If she were alive today, she'd be seated right along Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Miley Cyrus and Lindsay Lohan.

Katharine Hepburn is the better Hepburn. Audrey is great, but overrated.

James Dean is also overrated.

The Exorcist is not the scariest movie of all time. I don't know what number it is, but it's not in the top twenty.

Colonel Angus
06-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Shorty showing her age! :p

Lou Costello is a poor man's Curly Howard. In fact, he stole his whole gimmick.

The Dark Knight Rises is the best Batman movie.

Bewitched starring Will Ferrell & Nicole Kidman wasn't a bad movie.

Shorty
06-20-2014, 02:11 AM
My age is 25. :confused:

Colonel Angus
06-20-2014, 02:24 AM
My age is 25. :confused:
:lol: Do you not understand ":p"?

Madame Adequate
06-20-2014, 02:43 AM
Very little of The Beatles' ouvre is particularly noteworthy or worthwhile and there is no good reason they were lauded in their day, let alone 50 years later.

Doctor Who is a pretty bad show, but it has had some very good lead actors that have saved it. That said, David Tennant was a middling Doctor, far inferior to those on either side of him.

Harry Potter, whilst a fun series, is nothing to get tremendously excited about.

Space Empires V was better than Space Empires IV.

80 to 90% of Signs is legitimately brilliant moviemaking.

fire_of_avalon
06-20-2014, 04:33 AM
I can tell you why I have the most unpopular opinions. Because I disagree with a lot of you. :bigsmile:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I don't understand why people want the autographs of cosplayers.

I understand it takes time and dedication to make a costume. There's definitely a craft to it, but you're essentially just a well dressed fan among fans.

Nothing against it, though. If someone can explain to me the joy they get from it I can probably be swayed.

chionos
06-21-2014, 01:46 AM

Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan Batman trilogy.

That's not controversy, that's just true.

I like the Star Wars prequels

I used to like you.

Sense of humor is largely subjective, but in this case...that's the point...

Stephen Colbert on his worse day is funnier than the Jon Daily Show on his best day, & I'm saying this as a Stewart fan. :doublecolbert:

I thought that was a widely accepted fact?

This. Shouldn't have lasted three seasons. Let alone seven (or however many seasons there are, now.)
And got picked up for three more and you are wrong, there are several million people who are quite happy it has lasted this long. When it first came out, I didn't think it would last.

As far as my own opinions...I don't know that I have any off the top of my head...hmmm

Barney was the best Godzilla?
Books are better than movies?

*Devore*
06-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Ron Weasley is a cowardly idiot and it made no sense that Hermione liked him over Harry.

I'm not a fan of the Inbetweeners, not really a fan of shows which is just a series of awkward moments. Same reason why I never really enjoyed the office either.

I do not care for reality tv. I liked them at first but now I wish they would die.

DarkBahamut
06-22-2014, 04:02 AM
I'm 16, turning 17 on the eighteenth of July, but I had a full (thick I must add) beard at the age of 14.

It's pretty controversial.

chionos
06-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Harry didn't deserve Hermione or anyone else. Harry Potter was a twat. He lucked into his life and didn't earn a damn thing. Typical case of one guy getting the praise while everyone around him does all the real work.

Mirage
06-22-2014, 01:45 PM
I totally agree w/ Sephex on zombies.

This is controversial?

BBT is a show about what non-nerds think being a nerd is about. I guess I can see why it succeeded. Regular people love to laugh at those fucking nerds.

Madame Adequate
06-26-2014, 04:19 AM
Wow so here's one, and if you'd told me I would be posting this a couple of hours ago I would have punched you in the face:

The 1998 version of American Godzilla was better than the 2014 movie. The new Godzilla movie is pretty bad and after the halfway mark when the kaiju are revealed it just becomes boring. I honestly did not know that a kaiju movie could be boring but here we are. As bad as the '98 one was it at least had focus and sustained themes instead of not knowing whether it's a kaiju movie or a story about a guy in a disaster (and failing at both) and whether it wants to be about father-son relationships (and aside from Joe and Ford failing utterly at it, and that success is solely down to Cranston's acting strength) or insipid troute where we're simultaneously at nature's mercy but how very very dare we try to use any of the tools that might save us.

Sorry new Godzilla movie team, but just the fact of seeing Godzilla's existence and appealing to nostalgia isn't enough to make a movie actually good.

chionos
06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Wow so here's one, and if you'd told me I would be posting this a couple of hours ago I would have punched you in the face:

The 1998 version of American Godzilla was better than the 2014 movie. The new Godzilla movie is pretty bad and after the halfway mark when the kaiju are revealed it just becomes boring. I honestly did not know that a kaiju movie could be boring but here we are. As bad as the '98 one was it at least had focus and sustained themes instead of not knowing whether it's a kaiju movie or a story about a guy in a disaster (and failing at both) and whether it wants to be about father-son relationships (and aside from Joe and Ford failing utterly at it, and that success is solely down to Cranston's acting strength) or insipid troute where we're simultaneously at nature's mercy but how very very dare we try to use any of the tools that might save us.

Sorry new Godzilla movie team, but just the fact of seeing Godzilla's existence and appealing to nostalgia isn't enough to make a movie actually good.

You're not being controversial, you're just being wrong. :P
The problem with this is that the new movie got the one thing right it had to get right. Godzilla was badass, the fighting was badass, and though he didn't get much screen time, what time he did get was exciting and worth even a boring 90 minute wait. 1994 Godzilla failed at the one thing a Godzilla movie has to get right, which is Godzilla himself. Take Godzilla out of both movies and yes the 1994 movie had a better underlying story (which is only testament to how bad the 2014 movie was).

Colonel Angus
06-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Speaking of ginormous monsters, Peter Jackson's King Kong was the best one. (Forgive me if I mentioned this.)

Shorty
06-26-2014, 11:30 PM
WHAT

escobert
06-26-2014, 11:51 PM
I hate most technology. I don't own a cell phone anymore or phone of any type. LoTR fucking sucked. I loved the movies and The Hobbit is a fantastic book. But, the LoTR books were horrible. Movies suck. Most TV sucks. Most new music is atrocious. I can keep going forever :p

Shiny
06-28-2014, 02:02 AM

Me either. This version is my fav.

Here is my unpopular opinion: professorial gaming is lame. I know that will be very unpopular to a lot of you gamers.

Also all of these shows are terrible:
Firefly
Falicity
Lost
True Blood
Walking Dead (though I watch it because I love horror and there isn't enough horror representation in television that isn't smurfing werewolfs or vampires)
Anything on the WB or whatever they're calling themselves now
Gossip Girl
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Pretty much all television
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
This list goes on

I have tried and watched many episodes from several of these. smurf most television. I dislike other well liked shows but I don't feel their necessarily bad just not of my taste e.g. Seinfeld.

Colonel Angus
06-28-2014, 02:17 AM
WHAT
That's right. Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) is the best King Kong movie. In fact, it's probably one of my favoUrite movies of all time. I even loved the novelization.

Jessweeee♪
06-28-2014, 02:21 AM
Yeah I mean was the original King Kong movie really anything great?

Colonel Angus
06-28-2014, 02:24 AM
Yeah I mean was the original King Kong movie really anything great?
It's good in a corny sense. It's always fun seeing the clay ape, but I agree, it isn't great.

krissy
06-28-2014, 07:05 AM
I don't care for game of thrones
Or walking dead
Or big bang theory

Steven moffat sucks

I like gundam unicorn

Lotrs too long

blackmage_nuke
06-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Community tries way too hard and is almost unwatchable because of it.

Community actually makes an effort to be unique and intelligent and is unwatchable for the masses because it requires acutal thought to appreciate it. :colbert: (unless you're talking about season 4)

Green Hornet was a great movie
Miss Congeniality 2 was just as good as Miss Congeniality 1.
The Office(US) was actually better after Steve Carrell left

Shiny
06-29-2014, 04:05 AM
Green Hornet was terrible and while it's okay that you enjoy a terrible movie and there are probably others out there who did as well, that doesn't make it not terrible and it certainly doesn't make it great. Oh lemme, add to this list:

Bioshiock - not that great imo
Woody Allen is a good director/writer
Mad Men is boring a hell and I don't understand why people enjoy it -- maybe because it's a period piece of 1960s?
The Daily Show > The Colbert Report (Although I like Colbert more)
Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Stark Trek not a fan but I'll sit through the films unless it's 3+ hours long like that one LOTR film
Sega Saturn was better than the Playstation One
Nathan Drake is a boring ass character

blackmage_nuke
06-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Great might have been an exageration but it was definitely not a terrible movie, It had a well paced, funny script and well imagined action that flowed with it. The only thing holding it back was that it was a comedy based on something some people take seriously and people went in hating it because it had Seth Rogen. At least 7/10