PDA

View Full Version : Chat

Dr Unne
06-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I joined this website in 1999. In that time, I've never gone into the EoFF chatroom. Convince me that it's worth being in there.

Christmas
06-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Me neither. I'm pretty sure i signed up for the forums only. I will not commit to anything else that is not the forums because I am a 21st century modern woman firm in her beliefs and principles. :mymelbert:

My decision stands strong and I will not bow down to oppression even if you threaten to ban me. Hear me brothers and sisters , we will not be binded by the chains called the chat room. Freedom is a choice. You just need to reach out to get it! Stand with me and we will create a much more stronger and united front against the replusive chatroom. :mad2:

Come, sisters and brothers. the promised land awaits us in the forums. Come, and you shall witness the truth. :bigsmile:

Alive-Cat
06-19-2014, 08:42 PM
I especially go into chat about once every two weeks or so to share early 2000's pop hits with Parker and generally spread a little love as much as I can to all who'll have it :greenie:

escobert
06-19-2014, 11:33 PM
I have spurts of going to it. but they have been few and far between recently.

Denmark
06-19-2014, 11:41 PM
chat is the only good part of this website

Shauna
06-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Chat is pretty fun. :)

sharkythesharkdogg
06-19-2014, 11:47 PM
I occasionally hop into chat and annoy people with some midnight metal.

It's a nice little option for the forum to have.

Yamaneko
06-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Convince me that it's worth being in there.

Go or I'll punch you in the face, old man.

Colonel Angus
06-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Chat can be really fun or often it can be a lot of nothing. I mean literally, there's people signed in, but nobody's chatting.

Shauna
06-20-2014, 12:07 AM
There are quiet times. Just like right now.

Shorty
06-20-2014, 12:09 AM
You want to walk into, let's say, a party going on with acquaintances who you kindof have seen around but have never really spoken to. They all kindof know eachother pretty well already and are trading jokes and laughing about things you may not know or understand. Seems intimidating, right? Well, what about when one of them says hello to you, and then another, and then another and another?

Some of them are still continuing on their own conversations, some people are asking you how you are and commenting on the fact that they don't see you much around these kinds of functions. You're quiet at first for a bit, but then you overhear someone else's conversation or ask what they're talking about, so someone explains the discussion to you and it's something you have an interest in a little bit, so you gab with them. There might be a sports game on that people are watching, or some of them might be recounting a particular cool goal or play made in a recent game. In the kitchen you can hear a bunch of people (likely drunk) being loud and going on about something you maybe don't really care about, but they're not hurting anyone, just being a little obnoxious. Then someone says something rude, and a bunch of people tell them that what they said wasn't cool and it's a bit uncomfortable for a second, but the party's vibe gets right back to its groove in no time. And then it starts to peter out and people kindof leave and you're thinking, "man, it's dead in here," but all of a sudden, some super fun and enthusiastic people show up at the door! By this time, you've already been at the party for a little while so you say "hey what's up" as if you're one of them. And just like that, you are!

At that point, you either stick around, think maybe you'll come back next Friday night to get to know these people a little better at the next party, or you decide that maybe you don't want to try to get to know any of them as you're just too different from the group.

Chat folks are no different than forums folks, but the environments are. It's a bit more relaxed and chill (though the forums are chill enough). Sometimes it's dead, sometimes it's buzzing and there are five conversations going on at once. How do you decide if you'll fit in? You just have to start talking to someone.

Colonel Angus
06-20-2014, 12:16 AM
I hope BoB payed you by the word.

Shorty
06-20-2014, 12:18 AM
He can't afford me. I do it out of the kindness of my heart.

And I jot that kindness down into a meticulously detailed invoice, the likes of which I plan to send him once the site has surplus of funds.

Parker
06-20-2014, 12:32 AM
it's not very good don't bother

Lonely Paper Star
06-20-2014, 12:39 AM
Thanks to chat, I feel like I can actually call some of you my friends. :lol:

Madonna
06-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Convince me that it's worth being in there.
No; shinde kudasai. Either something is worth your time or it is not. That is for you to decide, not others. Please do not ask people post reasons when this is your responsibility.

Nicolas
06-20-2014, 04:05 AM
chat is the only good part of this website

That is how I feel as well, but I aim to make it not worth other's time. :D

Mirage
06-20-2014, 04:08 AM
i don't want any of you forumonliers there

Miss Mae
06-20-2014, 04:40 AM
This one time I went on chat and it sucked me in until 4am. Then my soul was taken from me and I was not allowed to leave. I don't know if this is supposed to convince you to join us or to run; take it as you will.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-20-2014, 05:02 AM
You want to walk into, let's say, a party going on with... oh, never mind.

I still remember the first time I tried to get on chat. I think it was pretty close to when I joined in 2011 or so. I had only posted a couple of times in the forums, and I believe I only posted maybe once a month for a couple years. Anyways, I hopped into chat, and there were a bunch of people talking at once. I had no idea who anyone was and they were talking about something weird. Normal chat stuff. I got scared and didn't get back on chat for a long time.

Now I get on there relatively frequently because the people in there are pretty cool.

LocoColt04
06-20-2014, 05:10 AM
I couldn't live in there. I'd never get anything done. It's nice on occasion when I'm not feeling like playing anything in particular, though.

Alive-Cat
06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Also chat is a lot better if you have alcohol, in fact, I will probably get a couple (a few) bottles of wine later tonight and I will log onto chat and chat to my heart's content! My friends see me less and they don't know why; they know not I am a member of a large online community of people that are infinitely greater than them. When I tell them they are like 'really, i would not think that of you, sean' and I say 'you do not know me like the eyes on final fantasy forums experience does'

Yes, EoFFFE, come into chat around 8ish/9 tonight for Alive-Man conversation. For you people not in England I don't know what time that is, around 13 hours from now.

Pumpkin
06-20-2014, 06:20 AM
I was greatly intimidated by chat the first few times but now its my favorite part of the forum. I wouldn't be where I am today if not for chat because it lead me to having more personal discussions with my boyfriend (and other members) and a lot of the strong friendships I've made on this site I have made through chat.

At this point it feels like somewhere I "belong" and never have to worry about fitting in to. I just fit. People know me and I know them and I know who is usually on when I am and who they are and I feel comfortable talking to them.

I can also be myself a lot more in chat because of how it works. On the forums I'm sometimes uncomfortable joking around because it could be easy for things to be misinterpreted, especially if someone is reading the forum and having a bad day or something. In chat, its much easier to feel out the "mood" so you know when you can joke around and with whom. I can just be myself a lot more without fretting all night that I'll offend someone with a post I made or something.

Aelitalily
06-20-2014, 07:00 AM
The only way to find out is to give it a chance and see for yourself if you think it is worth your time :3

Parker
06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
if you do go into chat follow these rules:

dont listen to anything i say

dont use .mangle

dont have a daughter with the same name as me and set off my highlight talking about her

Christmas
06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I think the chat crap is broken like Psy's brain. I press "connect" and it softa connected me to another dimension with a bunch of words all over the screen. :mymelbert:

Luckily I found this particular sentence amongst the words that says "Type #help for help" :bigsmile:

I typed #help and it says

"You may not use the command" :mymelbert:

I threw some hamster poo at that screen of words and never return. :mad2:

Parker
06-20-2014, 09:45 AM
i said hello to you but you immediately left :(

Christmas
06-20-2014, 09:47 AM
What? I am pretty sure you are not amongst the sea of words that I saw on my screen. Think I saw something along the line like "Adminstrators: Rubah, Roogle...blah blah blah" :blahblah:

Parker
06-20-2014, 09:49 AM
i just tried webchat and it worked. i think you are broken christmas i am sorry : :trout:

Christmas
06-20-2014, 09:57 AM
It's Psychotic messing up my account and this will be my final conclusion. :quina:

When it doubt, blame Psychotic.

Shauna
06-20-2014, 10:30 AM
When I first ventured into chat, it was 2005 and I was just some dumb kid. I did however meet some awesome people and many of them became good friends (who all subsequently left EoFF forever and now do real life things on Facebook). I was never intimidated by the thought of chat, but I can see why people would be, particularly if it's a busy period. I think it's a great subset of the EoFF community, and it would be excellent to see some new (or would it be old?) faces coming in from time to time. :D

If you want to see if chat is your thing, just have a go. What is the worst that could happen?

Nicolas
06-20-2014, 03:16 PM
If you want to see if chat is your thing, just have a go. What is the worst that could happen?

You could have a conversation with me.

Shauna
06-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Chatting to nico isn't that bad. :erm:

Alive-Cat
06-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Actually, chat is where me and DK originally fell in love so you should go on chat for that reason alone!

Christmas
06-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Et tu, Alive-man!?

Alive-Cat
06-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Et tu, Alive-man!?

Shhhh we are a secret to him!!

Dr Unne
06-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Some of your arguments are compelling. Mostly Yams.

Lonely Paper Star
06-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Nicolas thinks he's cool with this 'tude, but he's not.

chionos
06-20-2014, 07:55 PM
I get a hankerin' for some chat every once in a while, and go on one of them there chattin' spurs. They's some good people and some bad people. They's some ups and downs. For those specialuns who are part of the inner circle it looks like a LOT of fun. But there's some secret to gettin' inna that and heaven knows what it is. There a magic word like littluns with their treehouse forts? Must be. Wish I knew what it were.

CIDISLORDANDMASTER
CRAMITPROTO
LOONYBOBISMYLOVER

It's gotta be somethin'. Wish they gave a person a clue or somethin'.

But you're smart, Mr. Unne, you'll figure it out in no time I'm sure and then you'll be part of the inner circle and you'll be happy. Like a cuddly bunny rabbit in a ring of pudgy-handed toddlers in the party room at a Pet Smart. Everybody's gonna wanna pet you SO HARD.

Jess
06-20-2014, 07:59 PM
I used to go in chat, years ago. I went in once about a month ago; but it was really quiet so I ended up leaving. Perhaps I'll try again soon! :jess:

Rantz
06-20-2014, 10:43 PM

He is pretty terrible to converse with, though. If you go into chat, avoid the guy like the plague.

Nicolas
06-20-2014, 11:21 PM

He is pretty terrible to converse with, though. If you go into chat, avoid the guy like the plague.

Loverboy knows the score.

Loony BoB
06-21-2014, 03:28 AM
Christmas, click on the #eoff button at the top of the page. Somehow you must have moved to the Status tab.

Unne, if you don't go into chat you will be doing all these people a massive disservice: http://www.eyesonff.net/chat/stats/eoff/eoff.html

I think of the finalists for Best Newbie, only one was not a person who was going to #eoff at the time they joined or shortly afterwards. I think #eoff plays a massive part in making new people want to stick around, and if you feel our newbies are generally pretty good (I do!) then you should check out the chatroom to see what it is that is making them stick around. WARNING: The answers may chill you to the bone and leave you feeling ill, but at least you'll know, right?

But seriously just pop in, see if people are talking and if they are, see if it's a topic you have something to say about. If not, just say hi, tell people what's been on your mind or how you feel, etc. It's just like chatting with one person, only there are a lot of people. So, as an example, you could enter the chatroom and say "Hi guys. Man, I am feeling balls right now. Has anyone here ever met a ladyboy?" and then everyone can welcome, sympathise, advise, laugh or ignore you to their heart's content.

Fonzie
06-21-2014, 03:35 AM
Chat is just like a place where people go to talk, man.

It's provocative; it gets the people going.

Christmas
06-21-2014, 03:37 AM
Christmas, click on the #eoff button at the top of the page. Somehow you must have moved to the Status tab.

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY THAT I AM DUMB AND BROKEN!? I GOT A DOCTOR CERTIFCATION THAT SAY I AM COMPLETELY FINE!! I ONLY TEND TO EAT BRANCHES AND TALKS TO CLOUDS ON OCCASSIONAL BASIS!

escobert
06-21-2014, 04:28 AM

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY THAT I AM DUMB AND BROKEN!? I GOT A DOCTOR CERTIFCATION THAT SAY I AM COMPLETELY FINE!! I ONLY TEND TO EAT BRANCHES AND TALKS TO CLOUDS ON OCCASSIONAL BASIS!
no, he's saying you're smarter than the chat is!

Alive-Cat
06-21-2014, 03:09 PM
I ended up not on chat last night! See, that's my whole chat vibe, you never know where I will be, when I will be, I will just sometimes be and you have to like it or lump it :greenie:

Madame Adequate
06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
But Doctor, chat isn't worth going into!

chionos
06-21-2014, 07:11 PM
I said that, and it was a joke.

Alive-Cat
06-21-2014, 10:21 PM
I always go into chat with the fear that as soon as I enter the chat dies and no one says anything and I'm just like 'guys...guys...please respond' and they are all having private chats like 'aliveman is here what i'm freaked out, he is silly'

But it always turns out okay in the end :greenie:

Spooniest
06-21-2014, 11:26 PM
It would be fun if we could get more people involved in chat who post on the forums...you never really know what someone's manners are like until real time is involved and you can be interrupted. :)

Also, starlet keeps saying 'Spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon' every time she sees me in chat. I don't know how to feel about it, I just roll with it.

StarCross1988
06-22-2014, 02:46 AM
I was in there a little bit earlier being all kinda stalkerish just chilling. I'm a bit shy to start conversation usually though.

Christmas
06-22-2014, 02:47 AM
You can chat with me inside there!! :bigsmile:

Colonel Angus
06-22-2014, 06:21 AM
It would be fun if we could get more people involved in chat who post on the forums...you never really know what someone's manners are like until real time is involved and you can be interrupted. :)

Also, starlet keeps saying 'Spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon' every time she sees me in chat. I don't know how to feel about it, I just roll with it.
You should be honored.

Jiro
06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
If you need to be convinced to talk with fellow members in real time then you are probably not the type of person that other members wish to talk with in real time. I don't make a habit of bribing people to be my friend and neither should anyone else. It seems like a straightforward experience that takes little explaining or convincing. You're either interested or you are not.

chionos
06-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Don't let Jiro's attempt to scare everyone away fool you. He's a gentle and attentive lover.

Alive-Cat
06-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Yes, Jiro is incredibly gentle :greenie:

Miss Mae
06-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Except when he's throwing things at me.

chionos
06-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Yes, Jiro is incredibly gentle :greenie:

I hope you were nice enough to ask Miss Mae's permission.

Christmas
06-22-2014, 12:54 PM
This chat thingy, I can only connect to it via my forum user name? Not other random username that I create out of the blue? :mymelbert:

NeoCracker
06-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Chat is a cesspool of Violence, anger and dick jokes.

There is no form, there is no cohesion, and many things have been said there that would likely scar an innocent mind.

I, for one, approve of this.

(Also, type /nick 'instert name here' and you can change your name to whatever. :p)

chionos
06-22-2014, 01:10 PM
This chat thingy, I can only connect to it via my forum user name? Not other random username that I create out of the blue? :mymelbert:

Go without of blue. Your wish is EoFF command.