PDA

View Full Version : Recommend classic RPGs (PS1 and back)

Fatal Rose
06-20-2014, 06:17 PM
I love me some classic RPGs specially JRPGs.

My first recommendation is Dual Orb 2 for SNES. Such an awesome and beautiful game. A few of its characters resemble in appearance and job class FFIV characters, namely Cecil and Kain. It has an interesting story for its time. Kept me interested.

A link to a shrine dedicated to it. I hope someone plays it and let's me know what they think of it.

http://fantasyanime.com/legacy2/dualorb2.htm

chionos
06-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Bahamut Lagoon.

A fantastic game that was never released in the U.S. There's a fan-translated rom version available that I played. I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to find. But it's worth it.

There's more to it than this, but need I say more:
Raise your own dragons to use in battle.

That's it, that's all you need to know to determine whether or not you should play this game.

I would love to see BL get a full treatment/official translation and release, even if just for iOS or something, but alas, it will probably never be.

Great game if you do the rom thing.

Yellow_Magic
06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Massive kudos for that Bahamut Lagoon suggestion. I've played through it like 5 times and still haven't grown tired of it :3

Colonel Angus
06-22-2014, 05:49 AM
BoF IV PSX

Fynn
06-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Vagrant Story. I started playing it quite recently. Everyone and their mother needs to play it.

chionos
06-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Vagrant Story. I started playing it quite recently. Everyone and their mother needs to play it.

Tell that to my mom! She stopped playing video games 25 years ago when she left the room in the middle of some California Games skateboarding to take a call and came back to have wrecked which she blamed on me claiming I had made her character do that when I would never do such a thing especially at a game as insignificant as California Games but she wouldn't believe me and from that day forward never would she play a never video game not that she would enjoy Vagrant Story in fact I think Vagrant Story is a game that very few mothers indeed would enjoy but lots of sons and some fathers and uncles a few cousins a daughter or two maybe a sister but few mothers because mothers are not fans of effeminate dragon killers an effeminate dragon rider maybe but not a killer no not a killer never that.

Fynn
06-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey, Ashley is anything but effeminate :colbert:

It's just that his buttcheeks don't lie, what can I say.

chionos
06-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Ashley is effeminate. Everything about Vagrant Story is effeminate. And we're okay with that.

Fynn
06-22-2014, 12:41 PM
No, no. Everything about Vagrant Story may be homoerotic or BDSM inspired, but not effeminate. Have you seen Ashley's jawline and build? Not exactly womanly, is it.

chionos
06-22-2014, 12:52 PM
But...but...his name is Ashley, for fuck's sake.

I guess it take a rare kind of manliness to wear assless chaps into battle.

On a side note, but being more relevant to this thread:
See, what other game gets people talking about homo-eroticism, assless chaps, and bdsm?

Vagrant Story is a MUST-PLAY.

Fynn
06-22-2014, 12:56 PM
But...but...his name is Ashley, for smurf's sake.

See, what other game gets people talking about homo-eroticism, assless chaps, and bdsm?

You know, up until the sixties, Ashley was a perfectly acceptable name for boys. Hell, in the UK it's still a valid name for boys, from what I heard. Sydney is a similar case. Coincidence? I think not.

chionos
06-22-2014, 01:24 PM

You know, up until the sixties, Ashley was a perfectly acceptable name for boys. Hell, in the UK it's still a valid name for boys, from what I heard. Sydney is a similar case. Coincidence? I think not.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that Yasumi Matsuno started making this game before the 1960s, before video games even existed, and it was originally made as a first-gen prototype for the Magnavox Odyssey, which tanked and so Matsuno went through remake after remake before it finally got produced for the Playstation and by that time the names Ashley and Sydney were no longer boy's names?

Pssshh, you're crazy.

Pete for President
06-23-2014, 04:58 AM

Vagrant Story all the way indeed.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that Yasumi Matsuno started making this game before the 1960s, before video games even existed, and it was originally made as a first-gen prototype for the Magnavox Odyssey, which tanked and so Matsuno went through remake after remake before it finally got produced for the Playstation and by that time the names Ashley and Sydney were no longer boy's names?

Pssshh, you're crazy.

I think this discussion is irrelevant imo. If people don't like 'different' names or outfits off they go admiring Nathan Drake or one of his 1000 white middle-aged generic focus-grouped clones we call main characters these days.

I'd take originality over standard any day, no matter what is depicted by so-called social standards and focus groups. Give me the weird one, and immerse me in a world where this can work. It's the great thing about videogames; it doesn't have to be our world.

Fynn
06-23-2014, 07:40 AM

Pssshh, you're crazy.

I think this discussion is irrelevant imo. If people don't like 'different' names or outfits off they go admiring Nathan Drake or one of his 1000 white middle-aged generic focus-grouped clones we call main characters these days.

I'd take originality over standard any day, no matter what is depicted by so-called social standards and focus groups. Give me the weird one, and immerse me in a world where this can work. It's the great thing about videogames; it doesn't have to be our world.

I agree. I was just arguing that Ashley is anything but effeminite. He's a manly man who's not afraid to show off what mama gave him.

chionos
06-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Pssshh, you're crazy.

I agree. I was just arguing that Ashley is anything but effeminite. He's a manly man who's not afraid to show off what mama gave him.

And I wasn't arguing anything, I was just being silly. ;P
I favor originality as well, which is why Vagrant Story has stuck with me, and probably a large part of why it sticks with other people as well. It wasn't a perfect game, but it was different, unique.

To make a very serious point about the character, though:

Some aspects of the way Ashley dresses are effeminate. Whether or not either of us thinks it should be considered effeminate is irrelevant. That's kind of the point. He's a good strong character with a (typically) female name and assless chaps. He's a good character because he defies the archetype of what makes a character "strong" or "manly."

Wolf Kanno
06-23-2014, 11:15 PM
SNES:
Secret of Mana
Seiken Denetsu 3
Live A Live
Bahamut Dragoon
SaGa franchise
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
RoboTrek
Breath of Fire 2
Front Mission
Chrono Trigger

PlayStation:
Persona 2: Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment
Suikoden I and II
Wild ARMS and Wild ARMS: 2nd Ignition
Jade Cocoon
Front Mission 3
Vagrant Story
Xenogears
Breath of Fire III and IV
Arc the Lad 2
Dragon Quest VII
Brave Fencer Musashi
Threads of Fate
Parasite Eve
Grandia
Legend of Mana
Legend of Dragoon
Star Ocean the 2nd Story

Vyk
06-24-2014, 05:56 AM
I love that fantasyanime site. It turned me on to the emulation scene with such a high quality selection of roms, especially the ones for games not available in America. I used to go there every couple years to try something new, but haven't been there in nigh on 5 years now. Good to see it still exists. And I'm not sure when this game was added to the list, but somehow I missed it. And Dual Orb 2 looks really interesting. So I helped myself to it and will probably play it on my Wii sometime tomorrow just to check it outAs for my suggestion on classic 16/32-bit RPGs. Shining Force. Probably Shining Force 2. The first one is my favorite. But the second one is better refined, and generally more well regarded and liked by fans, and not quite as quirky as the first one. An easier jumping on point for the series without any requirement to have any knowledge of the previous games

Ayen
07-19-2014, 12:48 PM
NES/Famicom
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II

SNES/Super Famicom
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Sailor Moon: Another Story
Super Mario RPG

PS One
Breath of Fire IV