PDA

View Full Version : Recommended PSP RPGs

Depression Moon
06-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Yo can anyone here help me out and recommend me some PSP RPGs? I already know of Tactics of course and I'm trying to play Jeanne D'arc currently, but the game is sort of messed up. I like JRPGs more than WRPGs, but i might take a chance with a WRPG.

Dr Unne
06-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Crisis Core is good if you like the world of FF7 and want to explore the backstory, in an action RPG.

Disgaea is great if you like tile-based turn-based strategy RPGs with goofy/dark humor.

Persona 2 and 3 are on PSP, and P3P at least is quite good.

FF1 and FF2 were remade for PSP, and FF1 at least is a fantastic port. They went all-out on the graphics and music to make it feel more like a modern game.

I've only played the first Valkyria Chronicles for PS3, but if Valkyria Chronicles II is anything like it, it's probably a cool game.

Not sure what issues you're having with Jeanne D'Arc, but it was one of my favorite PSP games by far. The FFT port for PSP has some technical problems, in particular spell/summon animation lag.

Here's a good list of PSP RPGs: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464557

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Tactics Ogre I hear is pretty good as my copy stares at me longingly on my desk.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin is all sorts of awesome.

Persona 3 Portable is alright but I still feel the console versions are better cause the UI is kind of lifeless in this port.

The original Persona 1 isn't half bad if you don't mind a B-Movie plot and some interesting if oddball gameplay

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep might be the best entry in the series.

They also ported the first two Star Ocean games onto it and while I can't say much for SO1, I know SO2 is pretty awesome.

When in doubt, you can always just download some old PS1 classics onto your PSP as well which is what I mainly use mine for.

Depression Moon
06-25-2014, 01:50 AM
Oh I just remembered about Valkyrie Profile Lenneth. Is the PSP version good or should I stick with the PS1 version?

Mirage
06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
It has some minor fps slowdowns here and there, but I don't think they break the game. Other than that, the game is pretty much the same as on PS1, except in widescreen, and with some CG cutscenes added.

Skyblade
06-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Pick up the fan translation of Type-0. It's well worth it.

Bolivar
06-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Valkyria Chronicles 2 might be my favorite, takes the original concept and breaks each battle into separate smaller battlefields going on at the same time. It also has a great system for fleshing out the supporting cast. Might wanna hold off if you're allergic to spoilers and you haven't played the first, as it kinda hints at who lived and who died.

Tactics Ogre is arguably the best SRPG of all time. It's unique as remakes go, as it's almost like they took the original design document and made it like it's a brand new PSP game. A lot of members here like it and if you liked Final Fantasy Tactics, this is pretty much FFT2.

Depression Moon
06-30-2014, 03:30 AM
Alright I actually got into Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, but i gave up on that game. I'm stuck on a boss and the gamefaq walkthroughs don't help at all. I might drop this even though I hate too and move to Tactics Ogre or FF Tactics.

Mirage
06-30-2014, 03:52 AM
Which boss is it?

Rez09
06-30-2014, 03:55 AM
What boss is it? Depending on where you are in the game, you may have a character who is good for generating xp gems and can help you level for the boss.

For something a little different, Yggdra Union and Riviera: The Promised Land could be interesting to look into.

Ultima Shadow
07-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Mana Khemia and Ys Seven are two of my absolute favs, and I've played pretty much every game mentioned above except for Tactics Ogre.

Ys Seven is all about the gameplay though, and the story/characters are pretty average.

Mirage
07-06-2014, 05:01 PM
but you also have a swedish weaaboo taste in games

NeoCracker
07-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I also like Mana Khemia, it's rated among my favorite RPG's of all time.

Though I played it on PS2, and remember hearing load times on PSP could get horrid with it.

Ultima Shadow
07-07-2014, 05:17 PM
but you also have a swedish weaaboo taste in games
I have no idea what you're talking about. :shifty:

Though I played it on PS2, and remember hearing load times on PSP could get horrid with it.
They might be worse compared to the PS2 version, but I don't recall them ever being all that bad.

KentaRawr!
07-14-2014, 03:41 AM
If you like FFT at all, then I can't recommend Tactics Ogre highly enough. A few key developers worked on both, including Yasumi Matsuno, the director/story writer.

Motdrafin
07-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Definitely the Persona 2 duology (Innocent Sin and PS1 classic Eternal Punishment) and Persona 3: Portable. They both have an excellent story, characters, music, and gameplay. They are the best games the PSP has to offer in my opinion.

Del Murder
07-14-2014, 06:12 PM
The Tactics Ogre and FFT remakes for the PSP are quite excellent.

Also Kingdom Hearts BBS is my favorite KH game.

Finally, Crisis Core has some simplistic battle mechanics and a forced storyline but overall it's pretty fun and the last hour of the game makes everything worth it.

Depression Moon
07-15-2014, 04:19 AM
Just finished Valkyrie Profile Lenneth today. I think I might get started on FF Tactics next, once I get through with Yoshi's Island.

Rez09
07-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Just finished Valkyrie Profile Lenneth today. I think I might get started on FF Tactics next, once I get through with Yoshi's Island.

Did you go for the good ending or normal? :o