PDA

View Full Version : did you know that kmart still exists

Pike
06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
When was the last time you went to Kmart? I actually went recently for... I can't remember what for, like travel shampoo I think, because I didn't want to deal with the wal-mart parking lot.

What are some dying stores in your area that SHOCK YOU when you realize they are still around?

Christmas
06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Gotto be this little store near my place that sells expired products. I think there is still market for expired products as people do need to poison one another sometimes. :bigsmile:

noxious.sunshine
06-25-2014, 04:24 PM
K Mart has gone way downhill.. At least in Nashville..

I remember back when I was little, K Mart was way nicer than Wal Mart. My mom actually preferred shopping there (this was back before Super Wal Mart was a thing).. And they had their little food area before Wal Mart did.. My dad would often take me there for lunch & shopping whenever we skipped school together.

Last time I was in a K Mart was with a friend/co-worker to go fill a fake script for Roxies. He'd somehow stolen a dr's rx pad and would write his own rx and get it filled there .. The pharmacists never checked to see if they were valid and that location was frequented by crack heads cuz ghetto part of town. lol

There's still blockbuster? They got bought out by DiSH network and they just use the name for their pay per view movies...

StarCross1988
06-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I work at Kmart and I am actually am losing my job on the 6th of July. Our store is closing and rumors are that they're pulling out of the Flint area entirely in the next year or two, that'd be a total of 4-5 stores (depending on if this other one is considered in this area or not).

Shorty
06-25-2014, 05:52 PM
I had no idea Shopko or Fred Meyer still existed until a couple of years ago.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
I go to Kmart every now and then to check out the video games. Sometimes they'll have good finds in the $20 and below bins, even if only because no one else thinks to look there. Or really enter the store at all.

They're killing me with those music prices, though. I'm not one to pay $17 for a disc with 10 songs on it.

Parker
06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Little chefs are pretty weird to see idk if they still exist i havent looked

Shauna
06-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Little chefs are pretty weird to see idk if they still exist i havent looked

They're called RoadChefs now.

It sort of feels wrong not seeing Little Chefs everywhere.

escobert
06-25-2014, 06:10 PM
There's two like two towns over from me. One of my ex's worked at one for awhile.

Lonely Paper Star
06-25-2014, 11:00 PM
The last time I saw K-Mart was ..... years ago. I think I drove past it. As for actually going inside one, that's too distant in my memory. :lol:

Colonel Angus
06-26-2014, 12:35 AM
I haven't been to a K-Mart in over a decade. I think Sears owns them, which is probably why they suck.

Last weekend one of my cousins brought up Venture for some reason, which hasn't been around in forever. That brought to mind Zayer's, which hasn't been around in about 20 years. Then I thought of Service Merchandise & Woolworth's, the later I greatly miss, because I got many of my old video games there, in particular my Sega Genesis. :cry:

Christmas
06-26-2014, 01:40 AM
the later I greatly miss, because I got many of my old video games there, in particular my Sega Genesis

Did you used to blow the cartridges to get the thing to work? :bigsmile:

ShunNakamura
06-26-2014, 01:45 AM
I haven't been to a K-Mart in over a decade. I think Sears owns them, which is probably why they suck.

According to Wikipedia - "Kmart (sometimes stylized as K-Mart) is an American chain of discount department stores headquartered in Illinois, United States. The chain purchased Sears in 2005, forming a new corporation under the name Sears Holdings Corporation."

So I suppose it is the other way around. Anyways I knew they still existed(*if only in a state of unlife). . . but it has been a long while since I have seen one.

Colonel Angus
06-26-2014, 01:47 AM

According to Wikipedia - "Kmart (sometimes stylized as K-Mart) is an American chain of discount department stores headquartered in Illinois, United States. The chain purchased Sears in 2005, forming a new corporation under the name Sears Holdings Corporation."

So I suppose it is the other way around. Anyways I knew they still existed(*if only in a state of unlife). . . but it has been a long while since I have seen one.
Well, I guess that's why Sears sucks. :p

Miss Mae
06-26-2014, 02:16 AM
We have a lot of Kmarts here, and they are owned by the company I work for so I get discounts when I buy stuff there. :jess:

I'm still surprised whenever I see a video (well, dvd now) rental place still operating. Most of those closed down, but a few managed to make it through. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are other places I've seen and have been shocked.

Shiny
06-26-2014, 02:16 AM
There's a k-mart in penn station New York and I've seen them else where. This is not surprising to me.

Pike
06-26-2014, 02:26 AM
I had no idea Shopko or Fred Meyer still existed until a couple of years ago.

Fred Meyer does not surprise me but Shopko does

Also re: Kmart and Sears, I have worked at both and both are terrible places to work.

Jiro
06-26-2014, 07:58 AM
I don't think K Mart is suffering here as much as it is apparently suffering everywhere else. See them everywhere. They're kind of meh tier though. I think Big W and Target are probably outranking them in most stuff.

Sephex
06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
My work is literally next door to where a Kmart used to be. It's nothing but rubble now. They are, however, going to build something else in that spot.

There is another one not too far from my work that is simply closed down. I actually snagged a super cheap copy of the PSP version of Final Fantasy when everything was on clearance. I'd say this was probably three or four years ago now.

Miss Mae
06-26-2014, 10:36 AM
I don't think K Mart is suffering here as much as it is apparently suffering everywhere else. See them everywhere. They're kind of meh tier though. I think Big W and Target are probably outranking them in most stuff.
Which is probably fine with them, since Coles owns Kmart and Target. Stupid corporations owning everything.

Mirage
06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Gotto be this little store near my place that sells expired products. I think there is still market for expired products as people do need to poison one another sometimes. :bigsmile:

Most expired products are perfectly fine.

blackmage_nuke
06-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Kmart is doing pretty well here. I find it has approximately the same range as BigW but that might be because theres more space. But the main advantage of Kmart is that it's open 24/7

We have no WalMart but I wish we did because I heard someone call it Wallyworld once and would also like to call it that during casual conversations that might come up about where I bought something.

There is a Blockbuster next to my local Kmart

Pike
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Apparently the Aussie Kmart and Aussie Target have absolutely nothing to do with ours besides the name. So that would probably explain why your Kmart is doing better. Because the Sears/Kmart CEO here read Atlas Shrugged and tried to turn it into an actual business by making all of the individual departments "compete" with each other and to no one's great surprise it just resulted in ruin!

Shlup
06-26-2014, 01:00 PM
I went in a Kmart a few years ago... Probably like 2007. We were out of town visiting a friend and he showed us his Kmart. For some reason that place never made sense to me--I don't know if it's the layout of their merchandise or what, but even as a kid when it was the only superstore in town I remember feeling mildly discombobulated every time I went there.

I'm surprised Sears is still around. I shop at the one near my house but every time I do the place is both ginormous and dead.

Aelitalily
06-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I do payroll support and work for HewlettPackard (which omg - if you want to talk about "corporations" I could tell you some stories about this enterprise that has employees working for 7 years and have never gotten a pay rise! *shudders*)

Anyway we are external to Coles group in Aus but I am a bit proud to say that I know Aussie Coles group owns Target, Kmart, Liquorland, Vintage Cellars and some similar Liquor groups and Officeworks. Coles group is actually owned by Wesfarmers, which I know nothing about :3

There, that is my 2c, that is all you get, since I need to save all the money I can get to prepare for the lack of pay rises coming my way xD

Jiro
06-26-2014, 01:22 PM
My work is literally next door to where a Kmart used to be. It's nothing but rubble now.

A fair few years ago, a store (Bunnings, I think...?) was burnt to the ground. It was (suspected) arson so shit got held up in legal proceedings or whatever but it just sat there, this burnt shell of a building, for ages. The places I've been and lived in Australia don't really have a run-down part of town; everything is either being built or is built and decently maintained. I mean, you see a couple shitty houses from time to time, but not on the main street. So to drive past this building that looked out of a dystopian future was really trippy. I don't know if you had that impression with the Kmart being rubble or not but it just reminded me of that.

escobert
06-26-2014, 03:10 PM
I went in a Kmart a few years ago... Probably like 2007. We were out of town visiting a friend and he showed us his Kmart. For some reason that place never made sense to me--I don't know if it's the layout of their merchandise or what, but even as a kid when it was the only superstore in town I remember feeling mildly discombobulated every time I went there.

I'm surprised Sears is still around. I shop at the one near my house but every time I do the place is both ginormous and dead.

I read somewhere that Target and Wal-Mart spend like $2.00 per square foot updating their stores and kmart spends like $.75 lol

Pike
06-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Kmart is awesome. It's so much better than Walmart. Target's probably the best, but they're stupidly expensive.

Feels good to have employee discount + Target Red Card discount + Cartwheel smartphone app discount :love:

Alive-Cat
06-26-2014, 05:26 PM
I see less and less Wimpys these days. Beats all the other fast food places. I am afraid the legend of the Wimpy will fade away forever :(