PDA

View Full Version : White Noise

Pike
06-25-2014, 03:54 PM
When you go to bed at night, do you need to have some sort of background noise going on in order to sleep? Or do you prefer pure silence?

I usually wear earplugs so I don't mind either way!

Christmas
06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Sounds made by my hamsters. On occasions those might be sounds they made while they mate though. But then again, who cares. :bigsmile:

Scotty_ffgamer
06-25-2014, 04:43 PM
I usually have Futurama or Adventure Time or something on Netflix going when I sleep. I can sleep with silence, but I usually prefer having some sort of background noise.

Madame Adequate
06-25-2014, 05:23 PM
I can't sleep if it's quiet, it drives me insane to hear nothing. I can't do anything with silence actually, I need to have the extractor fan on if I'm in the bath for instance.

Shorty
06-25-2014, 05:53 PM
I sleep with the tv or computer on with something playing very quietly. I don't sleep as well when there's just music or sounds, so I guess white noise itself would do nothing for me.

Parker
06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
it's p good but underground is probably the better delillo

escobert
06-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I have my fish tank in my room so I hear that. but, usually I'll have my computer playing a show or the radio on when I go to bed

Mirage
06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
I prefer it to be quiet. Really quiet. I can deal with traffic noise or computer fans though.

Jess
06-25-2014, 08:26 PM
I can't sleep with a TV or music on. If the sound is a continuous drone that doesn't change, I like it. I prefer to sleep with a fan on so the house noises don't wake me up during the night. :jess:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
I can sleep pretty much anywhere in any situation. A habit steadily developed over my years in the military. Sometimes you never know when you are going to not get to sleep.

But if I get the choice, I prefer some noise, because like Jinx, I have tinnitus, courtesy of 130+ decible turbine jet engines that I work on/around on a regular basis for the last five years. Trains, thunder, rain, wind, tv in the other room (I prefer total darkness), whatever it is. Just something to drown out the constant whine in my head.
Usually the sound of my AC at night is enough, barely.

Araciel
06-26-2014, 01:43 AM
The screams of my enemies.

Mirage
06-26-2014, 02:09 AM
I have a weak tinnitus too but it doesn't prevent me from sleeping. It just sounds like an old CRT TV is turned on when it's entirely quiet. Almost any noise or sound is enough to drown it. Not sure if this even counts as tinnitus, but I didn't have it until after a certain very loud event, and it's gotten worse since then.

Miss Mae
06-26-2014, 02:14 AM
I used to sleep in silence, but ever since an analog clock was put in my bedroom I don't think I could sleep without the ticking. It's nice to have some background noise to focus on rather than getting trapped in my thoughts, because that either makes me think of something I have to get up and do (or at least write down), or just makes me anxious...

Sephex
06-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Can't sleep without a fan on.

Pumpkin
06-26-2014, 02:50 AM
I'll try to sleep with nothing but if I have a headache or am sick, I put on that rainymood website and it helps immensely

Jiro
06-26-2014, 07:57 AM
I can sleep without noise but it is very nice to have something there for my brain to focus on.

Alive-Cat
06-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I find it really soothing to watch nature documentaries narrated by David Attenborough while I am going to sleep!