PDA

View Full Version : Pulled a muscle

Pumpkin
06-26-2014, 05:12 AM
from moving furniture today. It hurts to move and also to not move

What are your solutions for pulled muscles? Is this a problem you encounter frequently?

Sephex
06-26-2014, 05:57 AM
As a matter of fact I had a nasty leg cramp happen in the middle of my sleep and it is sore right now. This occasionally happens. I heard its nature's way of saying I need more calcium or something.

Pumpkin
06-26-2014, 06:00 AM
I get bad leg cramps that wake me up or when I stretch. Vitamin D and/or bananas seem to help for me

Quindiana Jones
06-26-2014, 06:48 AM
I do yoga to keep muscle cack-ups at bay. It's been working very well so far. :)

Jiro
06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
As a matter of fact I had a nasty leg cramp happen in the middle of my sleep and it is sore right now. This occasionally happens. I heard its nature's way of saying I need more calcium or something.

magnesium helps with cramps. Don't, uh, overdose on it though; it has the same effect as a lack of it, apparently. :confused:

pulled muscles are a thing, sure. better than tearing them though. Just massage it a bit and get as much rest as you can.

Parker
06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
haha do i know about pulling muscles?!

oh boy do i ever!

Bubba
06-26-2014, 02:58 PM
haha do i know about pulling Parker's muscles?!

oh boy do i ever!

Christmas
06-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Step 1 Discontinue any activity that puts stress on the injured muscle. Stop your round of golf, cease lifting heavy boxes or carrying heavy objects. Pain indicates an injury that requires immediate rest. Continued use of a pulled muscle only furthers the injury and delays recovery.

Step 2 Evaluate the severity of the pulled muscle by assessing your range of motion. Inability to move in any direction without pain requires a visit to a doctor to determine the extent of the pulled muscle. If you can move your leg, arm, shoulder or back somewhat, typical home remedies should help quickly alleviate discomfort.

Step 3 Apply an ice pack to the injured muscle for 20 minutes every two hours. Place a towel or cloth between your skin and the ice pack. Ice helps reduce swelling but should never be used for longer than 20 minutes at a time due to danger of frostbite. Switch to alternating ice packs and heat packs after three days. Heat might soothe any pain you're feeling after these early days.

Step 4 Elevate the injured area. Keep the pulled muscle raised above your heart level to reduce swelling and encourage the body to release and absorb fluid buildup. Some suggestions include tucking a pillow under an injured leg or arm, propping a foot on the sofa arm rest or resting your leg along the back of the sofa.

Step 5 Apply a compression bandage to the muscle to reduce swelling. Elastic bandages work well on most pulled muscle injuries as long as you wrap your injury correctly. Never pull the bandage too tightly to constrict circulation. Compression and elevation work in conjunction to help with muscle recovery by limiting swelling and range of motion to promote healing.

Step 6 Massage the injured muscle gently to stimulate circulation and promote healing. According to the National Institute for Massotherapy, massage can reduce stress and tension involved with pulled muscle injuries and can release tension and stiffness. Don't press too hard into the injured muscle to prevent increasing pain.

Step 7 Pour two cups of Epsom salts into a warm bath and soak for a 15 minutes. Epsom salts will help relax the larger muscles of your back, hamstrings and quadriceps. Use one-quarter to one-half cup of Epsom salts in a small basin to soak ankle or wrist injuries.

Step 8 Begin light stretches when you can apply pressure to the muscle without pain. If you've chosen to take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication, make sure the pills aren't masking the pain. Start with regular light stretching and graduate to strengthening activities before returning to a scaled down-version of your regular exercise routine or sport.

Slothy
06-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Heating pad and ibuprofen.

A heating pad at this point would be counter-productive. It would promote blood flow to the injured area which will increase inflammation rather than decreasing it. Immediately after the injury you want ice to reduce the blood flow and bring the inflammation down.

Basically, just do what Christmas said.

Alive-Cat
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I rarely pull muscles! But different muscles on my body are constantly aching and kind of uncomfortable to move in certain ways from the gym when I am getting my body used to lifting heavier weights. I tend to massage my body a lot, when I am massaging my chest it looks like I am caressing my nipples so I have to be careful nobody sees me :greenie:

escobert
06-26-2014, 05:20 PM
I stretch everyday before and during work.

Christmas
06-26-2014, 05:22 PM
I tend to massage my body a lot, when I am massaging my chest it looks like I am caressing my nipples so I have to be careful nobody sees me :greenie:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/Unknowns2/comic/RantzSmu.png

Alive-Cat
06-26-2014, 05:31 PM
I tend to massage my body a lot, when I am massaging my chest it looks like I am caressing my nipples so I have to be careful nobody sees me :greenie:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/Unknowns2/comic/RantzSmu.png

But you of course can see me whenever you want :greenie: