PDA

View Full Version : Camping Food

noxious.sunshine
06-26-2014, 01:30 PM
So we're planning on going camping tomorrow.

And obvs, we'll have the good ole hot dogs, s'mores, and sandwiches, and fruit and shit like that, but what else is there?

I need ideas for new things. I'll probably do whole wheat turkey wraps with hummus, but I want other ideas too!

We haven't found where we're going yet, so idk if there will be grills- just fire pits .. I mean. I know there mist likely will be, but I'm not gonna wanna grill really. Too hot.

Pumpkin
06-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Besides hot dogs and marshmallows and sandwiches, chips, tortilla chips and a salsa/cheese mix

Araciel
06-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Bacon, potatoes, and eggs for the camp fire breakfast - usually we would forage for wild berries, go clam digging in the shore and maybe fish as well.

noxious.sunshine
06-26-2014, 08:44 PM
ooooo clam digging sounds amazing.. I want to do this.

I was angling more for like stuff that could be cooked over an open flame without use of pots & pans.. Like kebabs .

And no cook lunch stuff besides sandwiches and chips..

Shorty
06-26-2014, 09:50 PM
TINFOIL DINNERS AAAAAAH

Tinfoil dinners are the best. Make them before you go - chop up chicken, beef, pork, whatever you like, chop up a bunch of vegetables or buy frozen vegetables at the store (potatoes are a must!). Throw them all together with some spices and seasonings and roll them up into a big piece of tinfoil, then pack the tinfoils so you don't have to lug a bunch of extra food there. Leave them in the fire coals for an hour or so and eat! They are amazing, and I love tinfoil dinners while camping.

You can also do it with breakfast foods - let your seasoned potatoes/hash browns and sausage/bacon cook for 45 minutes/an hour, and then crack a couple of eggs in there and let it cook for a little bit longer. For desserts, chop up either some apples or pears (or both) and dump a bunch of cinnamon and sugar in there and let them bake. So yummy!

Double-wrap your tinfoil, though. Don't forget.

30 Delicious Tin Foil Dinners (http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/07/30-delicious-tin-foil-dinners.html)

blackmage_nuke
06-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Unless you are confident your grill has sufficient heat/size dont bring long bacon on a camping trip. It's more trouble than it's worth cooking 20 pieces of bacon on a portable stove in a frying pan that can only fit 2-3 slices at a time or trying to cook it on a campfire grill that wont be hot enough without making a massive fire.

I like to take Sausages (especially honey flavoured sausages), burgers (raw patties, egg, cheese, bread) as well as a bunch of canned stews. I also take Museli Bars for driving snacks and breakfast.

Cloudane
06-27-2014, 11:03 AM
I can never be bothered with cooking stuff.

1 loaf of bread
1 packet of wafer thin turkey ham
1 packet of salami or pepperoni
1 packet of light cheese slices
1 squirty thing of brown or bbq sauce
I just assemble a sandwich out of that lot as and when I feel like it.

Couple of bits of fruit as well
Breakfast biscuits for the morning
Beer.

noxious.sunshine
06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
omg that tinfoil business sounds amazing.

Shorty
06-27-2014, 04:24 PM
omg that tinfoil business sounds amazing.

Seriously, soooo good. Get a massive bottle of Johnny's Season Salt and just shake shake shake it in there before you close it up.

fire_of_avalon
06-28-2014, 07:19 PM
I CAME HERE SPECIFICALLY TO TALK ABOUT TINFOIL SUPPER

I will honestly make this on the grill at home sometimes because it is just so wonderful.

My favorite ever is a tender cut of beef, tomatoes, carrots, new potatoes, zucchini, crookneck squash, bell peppers, salt, pepper, and lemon juice yum yum yum yummmmmmmmmmmm yum.

Let's all go camping right now.

noxious.sunshine
06-28-2014, 09:03 PM
YE LETTUCE DO THIS!