PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to explore the whole world?

metagloria
06-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Some games, including most Final Fantasies, eventually open up with a complete world map that comprises the entire surface of the planet. When you think about this realistically, especially when you start flying your airship around the entire planet in a matter of seconds, you realize how ridiculously tiny this planet must be. In response to that, some games retain realism by not pretending to give you a full world, but only a few regions on what is presumably a vastly larger world map that you never get to see (FF12, Chrono Cross, etc.)

Which way would you rather have it? Do you like having the freedom to see the whole world, even if that world is unrealistically small in scope, or would you rather be constrained to a small area and never get to see the full enormous world?

escobert
06-26-2014, 03:18 PM
I wanna see it all!

chionos
06-26-2014, 03:43 PM
It depends on the game, I think. I know I loved the old JRPGs with full overhead map-worlds and all that. It didn't matter to me that they were tiny planets: I wasn't playing for the "realism." I can live with the way some games try to give some feeling of freedom and exploration while keeping a realistic vision of the game-world (FFXII is a good example), but what I can't stand is linearity in a game that feels like it should be expansive. Games like FFXIII end up not expressing at all the real extent of the world while trying to force on the play a sense of grandeur and epicness, which in the end just feels disingenuous.

I also really like games that are huge in scale, fully explorable, with huge overhead maps that are just pieces of a grander overall world. TES is clearly the best example of this.

VeloZer0
06-26-2014, 03:50 PM
The whole thing. It really gives you a sense of scale and a feeling that what you are doing is important to the whole world rather than just some regional issue.

Wolf Kanno
06-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Depends on the plot. Games like Suikoden and Persona have shown that you can have a really epic story with lots of high stakes without having to see the whole world. In fact I am honestly kind of over the whole "save the world" thing cause it just feels overused and often feels like a cheap way to scale up the conflict without ever needing to really show the big picture. You just say the bad guy has the power to cause some serious damage, darken the sky in the world map and somehow that is going to make me feel like the fate of the world is in my hands? The other issue is that most writers are too lazy to write out a good motive for the villains to cause that kind of global problem.

Sephex
06-27-2014, 05:05 AM
I don't mind either way. As long as the story, world, characters, and many other aspects remain interesting, the game can take place on a tiny island for all I care.

Miss Mae
06-27-2014, 05:43 AM
I'm not really fussed. I do like it when things loop, but I'd rather see more effort put into a smaller space than not enough effort put into a larger space. I'm not really bothered so long as there are wonderful settings for me to run around in; I'm a big fan of exploration!

Christmas
06-27-2014, 06:26 AM
I would if there are things to look forward too. :bigsmile:

Then again, most RPGs I have played do not. :(

So that is when the mods come in. I remembered I installed a brothel mod in Skyrim or Oblivion. I spent forever to look for it and when I have finally find it, I could feel that my life is completed. :bigsmile:

Pete for President
06-27-2014, 09:47 AM
There's nothing wrong with small planets :cool:

It really depends on what's in there really. I'd choose a tight package (i.e. Dark Souls' Lordran) over a bloated land (i.e. FF12's Ivalice) any day.

Psychotic
06-27-2014, 11:04 AM
EVERY. LAST. INCH!

Shorty
06-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Yes, I feel compelled to explore every single part of the map.

Pumpkin
06-27-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't mind either way. As long as the story, world, characters, and many other aspects remain interesting, the game can take place on a tiny island for all I care.

Bolivar
06-30-2014, 03:28 AM
In JRPGs, sure, you always want to have that "complete" playthrough.

In The Elder Scrolls, no way. 1) it's unreasonable and 2) the world is so big, in part, so that you can have completely different playthroughs and stories for everytime you create a new character.

chionos
06-30-2014, 06:40 PM

In The Elder Scrolls, no way. 1) it's unreasonable and 2) the world is so big, in part, so that you can have completely different playthroughs and stories for everytime you create a new character.

:erm: Guess I've been playing TES wrong.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
"No Stone Unturned" achievement unlocked.

metagloria
07-01-2014, 02:26 PM

Exactly. What the heck are you talking about, Bolivar? The world is so big so you can spend 150-200 hours combing every inch of it in a single playthrough.

Skyblade
07-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Exactly. What the heck are you talking about, Bolivar? The world is so big so you can spend 150-200 hours combing every inch of it in a single playthrough.

Only 200? I spend 300 per play through (game time, so not including resets) on most RPGs I get heavily invested in.

metagloria
07-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Only 200? I spend 300 per play through (game time, so not including resets) on most RPGs I get heavily invested in.

I don't understand this. I did literally everything that can be done on Skyrim in 150 hours, and it's the biggest game I've ever played. What on earth do you do for 300 hours?

Skyblade
07-01-2014, 04:14 PM

I don't understand this. I did literally everything that can be done on Skyrim in 150 hours, and it's the biggest game I've ever played. What on earth do you do for 300 hours?

I only played about an hour of Skyrim. I actually kind of hated it. I was talking most games in general. Currently I'm playing through Fire Emblem Awakening on Lunatic mode, and I have spent well over 200 hours just grinding stats, skills, Support conversations, etcetera. In a game that basically consists of 35 battles each about an hour long, tops (and Chrom has not yet married in my current play through). In FFVII I grind out a Master Materia set for each character, and acquire all Limits, etcetera. In Persona 3 I nabbed an Omnipotent Orb for each party member, including Shinjiro (which was probably a hundred hours of resets right there), and fused a "perfect" version of every Persona in the Compendium.

In RPGs, I do everything. 200 hours would be one like FFXII that I got bored with and never finished.

metagloria
07-01-2014, 04:22 PM

I only played about an hour of Skyrim. I actually kind of hated it. I was talking most games in general. Currently I'm playing through Fire Emblem Awakening on Lunatic mode, and I have spent well over 200 hours just grinding stats, skills, Support conversations, etcetera. In a game that basically consists of 35 battles each about an hour long, tops (and Chrom has not yet married in my current play through). In FFVII I grind out a Master Materia set for each character, and acquire all Limits, etcetera. In Persona 3 I nabbed an Omnipotent Orb for each party member, including Shinjiro (which was probably a hundred hours of resets right there), and fused a "perfect" version of every Persona in the Compendium.

In RPGs, I do everything. 200 hours would be one like FFXII that I got bored with and never finished.

I grind stats in the Gelnika and get three sets of Master Materia in VII and I've never topped 96 hours. Similarly, I've Order of Ambrosia'd XII twice and never topped ~120 hours.

But, nonetheless, I respect your dedication to grinding, because I play the same way. I must just do so more efficiently and/or less dedicatedly than you. :)

Mirage
07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I never thought of the world maps as being to scale, so flying around them in a matter of seconds never bothered me. Also, I never expect the game to have realtime-time either.

Spuuky
07-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Final Fantasy VIII's final disk was the death knell of the World Map, and I hate it for that every day.

Skyblade
07-01-2014, 05:36 PM

I grind stats in the Gelnika and get three sets of Master Materia in VII and I've never topped 96 hours. Similarly, I've Order of Ambrosia'd XII twice and never topped ~120 hours.

But, nonetheless, I respect your dedication to grinding, because I play the same way. I must just do so more efficiently and/or less dedicatedly than you. :)

Three sets is not enough.

Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie, Cid, Nanaki, Reeve, Barret, Vincent. I'll even get one for Aeris sometimes.

I also talk to literally every NPC until I'm sure I've heard all that they have to say.

Jibril
07-02-2014, 10:54 AM
I don't understand this. I did literally everything that can be done on Skyrim in 150 hours, and it's the biggest game I've ever played.CHALLENGE: see how long this takes in daggerfall

Ayen
07-19-2014, 12:25 PM
I prefer seeing the whole world, but I'm not bothered with the alternative if the story is good. I prefer smaller worlds to the more vast open-worlds we get in RPGs like Skyrim, to tell you the truth. I enjoy a lot of the overhead maps from various Final Fantasy games and were never bothered by their size. I'm sure some planets in the galaxy would be small too. Dwarf planets!