PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid of heights?

Pike
06-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I am not, although oddly I am uneasy around certain things pertaining to heights like really long ladders or certain amusement park rides. But heights themselves don't bother me - I always get the window seat in a plane and I love peering out from tall bridges or whatnot.

How about you guys?

Christmas
06-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Ever since, I have fear of heights. I’ve been struggling to overcome it and since high school, I thought joy rides in amusement parks could at least lessen it. Though I was able to control my emotion I realized that it was only psychologically manipulated by myself.

Let’s talk about phobias. I did research about it and I learn that it is a persistent irrational fear of a specific object, activity or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it. The term phobia is encompassing and usually discussed in terms of specific phobias and social phobias. Specific phobias like arachnophobia or acrophobia and social phobias are phobias within social situations such as public speaking and crowded areas. Phobias vary in severity among individuals. Some individuals can simply avoid the subject of their fear and suffer relatively mild anxiety over fear. Others suffer full-pledged panic attacks with all the associated disabling symptoms. Most individuals understand that they are suffering from an irrational fear, but are powerless to override their panic reaction. (source:Wikipedia)

The biggest danger that most phobias present is the risk of limiting one’s life and activities to avoid the feared situation. Research shows that a certain amount of reluctance around heights is normal, not only for humans but for all visual animals. Nonetheless, it represents an extreme variation on a normal caution, and can become quite life-limiting for sufferers.

Pumpkin
06-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Oh my gosh yes. When we stayed in the hotel, we were on the 11th floor and I woke up a few times feeling like I was falling. If I'm on the second floor of a mall, I can't look down. Balconies from anything above the 2nd floor are my worst nightmare. No roller coasters for me or any other ride that goes up high. I am terrified of heights.

Elevators that you can see through are the bane of my existance

noxious.sunshine
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM
I always think I'm afraid of heights, but then I get somewhere up high, and I'm surprisingly okay.

Like The Statue of Liberty.. We got pedestal access which is still pretty really high up, and I actually enjoyed it.

Though for some reason, whenever I have Lightning jump off of a really tall something to the ground, my stomach does a small flip flop it something. IDK how to describe that feeling.

I still hate flying, though, and I would never go sky diving or up n a hot air balloon.

chionos
06-26-2014, 04:25 PM
YES I DON'T EVEN LIKE BEING IN THIS THREAD.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-26-2014, 04:51 PM
I am not. The only time I was up high and was afraid was when I was in a van on a mountain when it was snowing, and the driver was very clear that he didn't really have control of the van. No guard rail or anything, so I was pretty certain we were going off the mountain. We didn't though! I really don't mind heights though.

Alive-Cat
06-26-2014, 05:08 PM
I guess not? Because I love them!

They make me a little scared, but I like the scaredness and it just excites me more :greenie:

chionos
06-26-2014, 05:16 PM

They make me a little scared, but I like the scaredness and it just excites me more :greenie:

Loving them doesn't mean you're automatically not afraid of them. I am afraid of heights and also love them. For instance, I love roller-coasters and cliff-jumping. The fear is actually what makes it as fun as it is.

Alive-Cat
06-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Loving them doesn't mean you're automatically not afraid of them. I am afraid of heights and also love them. For instance, I love roller-coasters and cliff-jumping. The fear is actually what makes it as fun as it is.

We are as one :greenie:

Araciel
06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Never was..

But in the past couple of years I've noticed I have vertigo - planes, the grand canyon, etc. All have made me super dizzy and as such I become pretty anxious around heights.

Mirage
06-26-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm not afraid of heights, but I am worried about getting my brains splattered all over a rock or pavement, so I avoid situations where a single mistake can lead to that.

Agent Proto
06-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Same as Mirage. In fact I enjoy the height, but I do try to avoid falling from such heights.

escobert
06-26-2014, 09:32 PM
No, not really. I enjoy them to an extent but they do get my tummy going sometimes.

Sephex
06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
If I am in a plane or roller coaster or some sort of controlled environment, I am fine. If I am in a natural environment that isn't regulated by some sort of safeguard I do get nervous. I don't freak out, but I am certain I look pretty tense.

Jiro
06-28-2014, 04:20 AM
I like the window seat too, but heights do have an effect on me. It's mostly the visualisation of the splat that comes from falling. Heights that I probably won't die or become horrifically maimed in are fine. I have leapt off the roof of my (old) house before, but falling from a few metres up onto concrete and shattering my legs is not something I want to do. Already fell in a concrete pit of death once.

Miss Mae
06-28-2014, 04:38 AM
I love window seats on planes (I'm sorry Jiro - I didn't realise you like the window seat too, or else I would not have taken it both to and from Adelaide. Although you did sleep on the way anyway, so I am not too sorry). I'm not very good with heights otherwise though. I tend to get vertigo if I'm too close to the edge of a balcony or whatever, and I have an irrational fear of losing things. For example, I cannot put my hand over the side of a bridge or something if I'm wearing jewellery because I won't be able to stop thinking about the jewellery falling off. It gives me great anxiety to see people leaving over a balcony with their phone to take a photo.

Alive-Cat
06-28-2014, 12:38 PM
When I first went to Denmark it was my first ever time on a plane, I was like 21, there was barely anyone on the plane and I got not only the window seat but the whole row of seats next to me was empty. I loved it. I wanted so much more turbulance than there was.

fire_of_avalon
06-28-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't like heights + precarious footing, but I like stable heights a whole bunch! No fear or vertigo or anything. And I am ok to climb tall ladders to complete a task.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-28-2014, 08:29 PM
No.

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2014, 08:45 PM
No, in fact the opposite, I actually like being in tall places looking down *insert arrogant snob joke* but in college it was usually easy to find me hanging out on the roof of the buildings.

Rez09
06-29-2014, 12:02 PM
The ultimate answer is yes, but the relative answer is that it depends on how high up I am. I'm fine at three stories up, but beyond that it begins to affect me, and it can get quite severe, with extreme vertigo setting in and me feeling like I'm slipping or being drug towards and over whatever edge I'm near. It's actually so bad that I cannot stare into a clear, open sky without the same feelings of dread and instability setting in. I force myself to sometimes, because I know how irrational it is, but it is extremely uncomfortable and never gets any easier. :(

blackmage_nuke
06-29-2014, 01:19 PM
My body starts shaking no matter how much I try to calm myself when Im at the top of a high ladder but I dont really feel "fear". I'll still finish what Im doing go down the ladder, go to the next job, climb up and resume termoring. I dont understand why I cant control my nerves.

Im perfectly OK with tall buildings and non-windy cliff edges.