PDA

View Full Version : For Shovelry!

Nicolas
06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
It's time, Decadent Dandies! Shovel Knight is here! The glorious homage to NES platforming is finally out, and I, for one, am absolutely in love with it. The game's quirky characters and design match so well with the spectacular soundtrack.

For those of you who are unaware, Shovel Knight is a callback to older NES games such as Mega Man and Castlevania in terms of gameplay, villages are straight out of Legend of Zelda II, and the map is very much Super Mario Bros. 3. Another plus is that you can attack with Scrooge's drop down cane attack from Ducktales. The game is made by Yacht Club Games (http://yachtclubgames.com/). They brought it to Kickstarter over a year ago to help fund the game. Thanks to an incredibly successful campaign, the game is available today for PC, 3DS, and the Wii U.

Have any of you heard of it? Played it? Are any of you planning on getting it?

*just wants more people to talk about this*

Scotty_ffgamer
06-26-2014, 05:12 PM
I thought about making a thread last night, but I was too sleepy. I watched Nico stream this game last night, and it is everything I could ever want in my life right now. Great music, great humor, great level design, etc. Everyone that loves the NES era of gaming should buy it.

Dr Unne
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
When will people start getting sick of Mega Man clones and indie platformers? The answer is NEVAR. This game is everything I want out of life.

I'm planning to stream my first playthrough of this game tonight at around 6PM PST. http://twitch.tv/cdaddr

Scotty_ffgamer
06-26-2014, 08:10 PM
I bought it. I'm playing it. I love it. I demand we change our forums to Eyes on Shovel Knight.

Rez09
06-28-2014, 12:06 PM
I greatly enjoyed the game, and have only very minor complaints -- the boss difficulty will have me playing without health upgrades next time around, and I wish some of the trinkets had more use in the levels -- but everything else is quite excellent.

Specter Knight will be a playable character in some upcoming DLC I've heard as well, which I am looking forward to. :D

Del Murder
08-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Got this for DS yesteday. It is awesome. A cross between Mega Man and Duck Tales, with a classic Castlevania vibe in there as well. What could be better? Well worth my $15.

I bought it. I'm playing it. I love it. I demand we change our forums to Eyes on Shovel Knight.
You're in power now, scott. Make it happen.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-11-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't have access to the game for an unforseen amount of time. If I were to make it happen, I would just be sad that I can't play the game every time I see Eyes on Shovel Knight. Maybe after I get to play the game again. :shifty:

Del Murder
08-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I hope the success of this game inspires more people to try similar things. I'm sure there are plenty of indie 8-bit platforming homages out there, but the level of polish and detail that went into this one is far and above.