PDA

View Full Version : What did this game do better than any other FF?

Pumpkin
06-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Character, summons, job classes, towns, music, weapons, NPC's... could be anything!

What do you think this game did better than any other Final Fantasy?

Sephex
06-27-2014, 02:01 AM
As far as the original goes, I think it did a good job fixing minor annoyances that plagued the first two installments. The two major fixes are auto targeting another enemy if the one that was targeted is defeated and how the flow of battle moves much faster. Unfortunately, the inventory management is a pain when you switch jobs (yes, I know I harp on that a lot). That being said, this game was a huge step up for a NES game on a technical level.

Wolf Kanno
06-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Honestly the inventory management is nowhere near as obnoxious as FFIIs. I mean yes lugging around extra gear with limited space in case you decide to switch jobs on the fly is annoying at times but not as bad as an inventory system that gets smaller as the game progresses because because the designers decided to let Key Items count as space in your main inventory and they can't be removed even after they have served their purpose. Considering how selling dropped scrolls is easy money it gets annoying having to waste possible income cause your inventory screen is plugged up with a dozen useless items you can't do anything about. At least FFIII had the decency to introduce the Fat Chocobo.

Yes, Auto-Targeting is probably the biggest addition to the series that really set this game apart from other RPGs of its time as well as its imaginative use of the Job Class system and sheer amount of different jobs it introduced with better variety and more nuanced roles which games like DQIII really can't compete with.

I feel the thing FFIII does the best is really the flow of giving the player freedom to explore. I really feel they nailed it with this game whereas other entries tend place you on tighter rails for longer periods of time or like much later titles (FFIX and onward) leave opening up the whole game until near the end. It also had tons of out-of-the-way towns to find which made it more fun to have that freedom. I honestly feel it is just an overall well designed game.

Rez09
06-27-2014, 07:34 AM
I feel the thing FFIII does the best is really the flow of giving the player freedom to explore. I really feel they nailed it with this game whereas other entries tend place you on tighter rails for longer periods of time or like much later titles (FFIX and onward) leave opening up the whole game until near the end. It also had tons of out-of-the-way towns to find which made it more fun to have that freedom. I honestly feel it is just an overall well designed game.

This ultimately sums up what I feel the game did best.

If I were to add anything, it is that the game made me feel like an adventurer like no other entry in the series has. While other Final Fantasy titles attempted to tie me down and direct me with characters and plots, FFIII felt like it gave me broad tasks and let me have at them however I pleased. The game didn't need ten minutes of dialogue and cutscenes to get me over that next mountain, instead it opted to give me an airship and an idea; I did the rest. When it let me jump mountains, I spent the next three hours hunting down every mountain range in the game looking for secret areas. When it gave me a sub, I scoured the oceans looking for caves and ruins. When it put odd, unexplained statue pairs on the world map that I could walk up to, I . . . learned my lesson, about faced, and headed elsewhere. And that's what I mean when I said it made me feel like an adventurer: there was no demanding princess trapped in her internal conflict driving me along, only my ability to go where I wanted with what I had, a general idea of what needed to be done (and not even that sometimes), and a world to explore along the way.