PDA

View Full Version : How many people gave up on this franchise?

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Not to be a debbie-downer but I often hear fans talk about how they loved the early entries and then kind of lost interest when they moved to other platforms or started making too many side games. Who is still hanging in there and who basically cuddles their copy of KH1 wishing for simpler times?

Neptunia
06-28-2014, 10:49 PM
I tried to follow the games on what console's i have. not only is the story needlessly complex but the controls on some of them suck. Birth by sleep, chain of memories, re-coded and 258/2 days would have benefited greatly by being on the PS series.

Fynn
06-30-2014, 07:35 AM
I've played every entry available in the West and I really cannot understand the complaints. Heck, the handheld titles I consider much better than the numbered games. Aside from coded. That one is the weakest. I really do hope the HD Remixes help people come back to this series and experience the awesomeness of the handheld titles.

Formalhaut
06-30-2014, 12:10 PM
I haven't given up on the series, but I have lost some degree of faith in it. I'm sure the handheld game are great, sure, but I can hardly experience it if I can't afford to buy the console in the first place (I haven't bought a console in years due to funds, and I haven't purchased that many games either). The HD remixes would help, but a 'movie' version of a game is like, not even a game. It feels slightly truncated.

metagloria
06-30-2014, 02:53 PM
KH2 and Birth By Sleep were soooo good. But yes, when that wave of handheld spinoffs came out, I started to be like "...seriously?"

DMKA
07-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Have I given up on the series? No, I eagerly await the day I can play KHIII eight years from now.

Have I given up on following the plot? Yep. I gave up on that midway through BBS. Nomura is clearly making it up as he goes. :p

Pumpkin
07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
There's just so many games ;__;

jodymcdougle
07-15-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm a fan of the series. I enjoyed KH I and II very much! I even got a copy of chain of memories. but I don't have every system that they make releases for.

Fynn
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm a fan of the series. I enjoyed KH I and II very much! I even got a copy of chain of memories. but I don't have every system that they make releases for.

Well, the HD remakes are just the thing you need :monster:

Pete for President
07-18-2014, 02:25 PM
The way they spread out their releases across so many different platforms is an insult to the fanbase in my opinion. I gave up after KH2 on PS2. Never will I return to this promising but very much flawed execution of a series.

Christmas
07-18-2014, 02:44 PM
I got no smurfing idea what is going on with the story anymore. :monster:

The keyblade master test and crap reminds me of the Jedis. :gator:

Ayen
07-19-2014, 04:26 AM
I never played any of the other games after the first one. Was just never that interested in playing the others.

Chibi Youkai
02-07-2015, 05:24 AM
I'd given up on it for a long time. Then the HD remixes came out. At least there's BBS on 2.5. Hopefully that will be all the necessary prep for KH3. If not, maybe they'll be flashbacks to explain what's going on.

Jessweeee♪
02-07-2015, 05:59 AM
I love all of the side games that I've played so far, but I just can't buy every damn handheld gaming system out there. If they continue the trend of re-releasing them in bundles for console then I will probably eventually play them all on a several year delay.

Tyson
02-08-2015, 06:06 AM
I played KH1 and 2 when they released. Were some of my favourite games ever and KH3 was probably my most anticipated game ever.

Then the spinoff''s happened, the only one I played was Birth by Sleep on the PSP and I only ever got an hour or so into that. I recently got the HD remaster of KH1 and I only got an hour into that aswell. The cutscenes and voice acting aged really terribly in my opinion.

I'll probably pick up 3 when it comes, Honestly would prefer Nomura to work on the next FF tho.

Mercen-X
02-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Two things make me lose faith in a franchise: Poor writing and weak production. If the product doesn't look pretty or have interesting mechanics, it better have a damned good story. Vice versa. Re:coded had a lame story, but I liked it's mini-game marathon feel. Chain of Memories had a somewhat better story (although still mostly a rehash), but I hated the card system... so much.

McLovin'
02-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I liked Birth By Sleep. But I don't remember it being memorable. Some of the boss fights really ticked me off if I remember.

Cannot wait for an actual fully fledged console release of KH3 tho. If KH1 and 2 were any indication, these games are immersive and fun. I had like 100+ hours in KH1 and 2 each.

escobert
02-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Never got into the series to begin with. It was part of the downfall of Square for me.

Depression Moon
02-12-2015, 05:14 AM
only played 1 & 2 and it looks like that'll be it for a while.

Skyblade
02-12-2015, 09:45 PM
I've given up after Dream Drop Distance. I love exploring the worlds and the core gameplay (especially after how awesome Birth By Sleep's gameplay was).

But the character switching has gotten out of hand. I hated it in Birth By Sleep (and refused to keep playing after it wanted me to abandon everything I'd spent a hundred hours building up), and it rendered Dream Drop Distance utterly unplayable. I have no interest in picking up the game again, and I probably wouldn't even have remembered the franchise if I hadn't been glancing over the forums.

Shiny
02-14-2015, 07:23 AM
I played the first one and then watched my friend play through the second one which took her like two hours because the game was that easy. The first I found to be a lot harder. I stopped after that because I just couldn't be assed if it wasn't available on PS2.

This series is the reason for many people who weren't big on RPG's to get in to it because of the draw of playing in Disney worlds and with Disney characters. It was also the reason I got so in to JPOP. So for that reason, I will always have fond memories of the first one at least. If I get a PS4 I will definitely consider playing KH3 whenever it comes out.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-16-2015, 04:52 PM
KHer for life. Never gonna give you up...

Loony BoB
02-16-2015, 05:49 PM
I have yet to really give it a good, solid attempt. I'll hopefully try KH1 and KH2 eventually, when they are ported to a console I actually bother with in these modern times.

Shauna
02-16-2015, 05:55 PM
I have yet to really give it a good, solid attempt. I'll hopefully try KH1 and KH2 eventually, when they are ported to a console I actually bother with in these modern times.

You mean like, I don't know... the PS3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_HD_1.5_Remix)? Or perhaps, the PS3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_HD_2.5_Remix)?

Loony BoB
02-17-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm on PS4 now. Keep up!

Shauna
02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Did you donate your PS3 to science or something? :p

CimminyCricket
02-17-2015, 03:55 PM
The only one I actually enjoyed was Chain of Memories. I never found Alice, but it turns out that's because I was looking in the wrong places. :\

Egami
02-17-2015, 04:18 PM
I've never played a KH game... :erm:

No particular reason for it, really.

Loony BoB
02-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Did you donate your PS3 to science or something? :p
It's in the same flat my PS2 is in. So... my flat. :shifty: It's not been switched on once since I got the PS4 though. xD I shall surely be changing that this weekend when a couple of additional controllers waltz their way over. ;D

Del Murder
02-17-2015, 08:23 PM
I have not given up on KH though it was sad to see an entire generation pass without a new KH game for home console other than remakes.

maybee
02-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Nope ! Some of the magic and wonder has been really lost within the series though. KH 1- KH 2 was just so magical. Strange, but magical.

Madame Adequate
02-18-2015, 02:56 PM
I gave up on the series about two hours into it.

Chibi Youkai
02-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Having a KH game not come out on PS3 was absolutely something to be sad about. It was one of the reasons that I originally wanted a PS3, was because at the time I thought it was inevitable that a new KH would come out for it. Hopefully the new one coming out will be worth the extended wait. That might even move me to purchase a PS4.

Sephex
02-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Somewhere between Kingdom Hearts: Degeneration Driven Drift and Kingdom Hearts: Dreamvengance.

Okay, so I actually only played a few hours of the first one and just couldn't get into it. I'm kind of glad that the series didn't take hold of me because (as others have mentioned), the series became a mess with way too many spin off titles/reimaginings. Plus, even if you only take the first two games the story is pretty convoluted. Yes, I just said I never even beat the first one, but I have watched length, in depth reviews about both games. Even the guy who reviewed it (and like the games) said the story was incredibly hard to divulge.

crono_logical
03-02-2015, 09:37 PM
My first proper KH playthrough attempt is the PS3 KH1 remake, I gave up / got bored / dropped the game at Peter Pan's scenario :D Suppose I should resume and finish it though, now the 2.5 remake arrived in the post the other week, otherwise that one will never get touched :p

Dante WolfWood
03-11-2015, 08:12 AM
I gave up as soon as Nomura's curse got into the mix. The story became so convoluted, I just couldn't take it anymore.

LunarWeaver
03-21-2015, 08:00 PM
I will never give up on this series. It has an entire cast of characters with intellectual disabilities in the spotlight. It's amazing to behold.

Leigh
03-22-2015, 12:48 PM
I never even started this series. ^^;

Euon
03-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Upon initially reading this I thought I hadn't. Then I realised I never finished 1.5HD, 3D and never even bought 2.5HD. I guess somewhere along the line I got tired of waiting for KHIII and threw in the towel on this one.

Shauna
03-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Never. The hype is eternal for KH3.