PDA

View Full Version : Which FF is the best for newcomers to the series?

Pike
06-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Let's say you have a friend who has never played Final Fantasy before but would like to start. Let's also say that they have played some RPGs before, but not many. Which FF game do you recommend for them to play?

Pumpkin
06-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Probably depends on personal interest. I'd say VII, IX, or X. They're all fairly easy and straightforward and they represent the series well

Colonel Angus
06-29-2014, 04:12 PM
A lot of people got into it through VII, but X might be a great choice due to all the tutorials early on. V is simple enough to pick up & the job system is easy to learn. I'd have them try XII if they're already familiar w/ MMORPG style games, but for the most part wouldn't introduce anyone right to that.

If you're talking about a kid, you might have them try Mystic Quest.

Perducci
06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd probably say FFX. There's a lot to do, but it's all relatively straight forward and easy to follow. The sphere grid can be a little confusing to start out with, but it doesn't take long to get used to. I wouldn't say that it's the best Final Fantasy game, but it's a good introduction to the series...

After X, probably VII, IX and IV.

Formalhaut
06-29-2014, 05:28 PM
I would agree with Final Fantasy X as a very good introduction to the series. It also depends on how willing they are to put up with aged graphics - while Final Fantasy VII is an obvious choice, people may be put off with the dated graphics. This also makes Final Fantasy X a good choice (particularly the remaster).

Rez09
06-29-2014, 05:49 PM
I'd have to know the person beforehand and have a feel of what they were looking for, but just as a blind shot I'd recommend FF4. It's very straightforward and generally solid, with a decent story and battle mechanics.

The Man
06-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Depends what they were looking for. If they're into 16-bit gaming I'd probably say FFVI. If they like whimsical 32-bit games, FFIX sounds right. If they want something a bit grittier, FFVII. If they want something more modern, the FFX remake or the inevitable FFXII remake (we all know it's coming) maybe. My first game in the series was FFIV and on the whole I don't have any regrets for it but I don't think it would come off so well for a modern gamer. If they have to start with that I'd recommend the DS version.

Psychotic
06-29-2014, 09:21 PM
I'd probably go with X.

Christmas
06-30-2014, 02:33 AM
Final fantasy ii or vi if the person is a star wars fan. :bigsmile:

Final fantasy VII or VIII if the person is emotional or shy :bigsmile:

FF X and FF X2 if the person is into dancing or soccer. :bigsmile:

jodymcdougle
07-14-2014, 01:38 AM
I'd have to go with X. Cloud and the rest of the characters, along with the story, in FFVII were awesome! But for me, I picked up X and completed it. I simply couldn't put it down! at the time, I wasn't really into RPGs either! something about the cut scene animations and the feeling of hearing an actual voice come out of the television for the characters to talk was pretty cool! it's been years and I haven't looked back. ;) I was so new to RPGs that I had to purchase a guide. Thing was the size of an encyclopedia volume!

the characters in IX are more "fantasy" though. so if they were into the fantasy aspects of things, I'd probably recommend IX.

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2014, 02:15 AM
FFVII, IX, or XII depending on personality :p

Ergroilnin
07-16-2014, 09:50 PM
FFIX is what I would give newcomer as first FF game. Since it's pretty much homage to all classic FF themes nicely coated in the best (or close to best) FFIX graphics.

Fynn
07-16-2014, 10:22 PM
IV or VII. Both are solid games, easy, straightforward and can easily hook you on the series.

escobert
07-16-2014, 10:43 PM
VII is just the best :p

If I persinally had played X first, I wouldn't be a member of this site and would never have played another FF. I absolutely cannot stand that damn game. Nobody should enjoy hearing that whiny ass Tidus bitch and moan all day long.

metagloria
07-16-2014, 11:31 PM
VII is the best, but it's not the best introductory game for non-experienced RPG-ers. There are a lot of "flaws" that we fans often overlook that are obvious, even deal-breaking, for newcomers. (Speaking from experience with my wife here.) I agree that X is a solid one, because it combines solid graphics (even more so if you go the remake route), engaging story, and complex but tractable combat mechanics. VI and IX are pretty good beginner FF too. I would never start someone with IV (too hard), V (too complex), VIII (too far removed from the rest of the series), XII (awesome, but also pretty far out) or XIII (too modern and linear).

Yellow_Magic
07-16-2014, 11:55 PM
If a newcomer to jRPGs in general, I'd think FFX would be a bit too difficult to start off with. Otherwise, yeah, it'd be a great choice.

escobert
07-17-2014, 01:30 AM
VII is the best, but it's not the best introductory game for non-experienced RPG-ers. There are a lot of "flaws" that we fans often overlook that are obvious, even deal-breaking, for newcomers.

Just wondering what they would be? I actually had never played a RPG before playing FFVII. The closest I had ever been to an RPG was Zelda. I immediately went on a rampage for almost 8 years of buying anything square made based on how much I loved FFVII. I'd say now, there are 6 games square made that I can really say "I really like that game" FFVII, FFVIII, FFTactics, FFIII(DS) and Saga Frontier 1&2

While I couldn't ever get into IX ( I tried many times) I could see that being a good first FF for someone. It's got a lot of the classic FF elements and the better PS1 graphics. My roommates love the game. I just couldn't do it :(

metagloria
07-17-2014, 02:43 AM
VII is the best, but it's not the best introductory game for non-experienced RPG-ers. There are a lot of "flaws" that we fans often overlook that are obvious, even deal-breaking, for newcomers.

Just wondering what they would be? I actually had never played a RPG before playing FFVII. The closest I had ever been to an RPG was Zelda. I immediately went on a rampage for almost 8 years of buying anything square made based on how much I loved FFVII. I'd say now, there are 6 games square made that I can really say "I really like that game" FFVII, FFVIII, FFTactics, FFIII(DS) and Saga Frontier 1&2

While I couldn't ever get into IX ( I tried many times) I could see that being a good first FF for someone. It's got a lot of the classic FF elements and the better PS1 graphics. My roommates love the game. I just couldn't do it :(
My wife had a really hard time appreciating the graphics. There were also several points early in the game where it wasn't abundantly clear where to go or what to do, and that frustrated her at the time (she might be able to get over that now, having played more FFX/Skyrim). The at-times-goofy dialogue that we as fans love might be off-putting to a newcomer too, although I don't think it was that so much for her. With X, the voice acting and well-done story are more immediately engaging, and there's rarely confusion on where to go and what to do.

escobert
07-17-2014, 02:54 AM
The voice acting is what I dislike most about x. And isn't having to figure out where to go half the fun!?

Formalhaut
07-17-2014, 10:36 AM
I think the first play session is incredibly important to get someone roped in to the RPG. When I introduced Final Fantasy to Sam, I picked X, primarily for the reasons above. If someone doesn't really 'get into' the game after the first part at least, then they may not bother to play it again. The good thing with X is that it doesn't have a slow start, besides perhaps the bit before the Sin attack in Zanarkand. If I showed FFXII to him instead, a good chunk of the beginning is build-up, which as a fan I can understand, but Sam may find it slow.

Having said that, now that he's used to Final Fantasy somewhat, he may find the slow start less taxing.

Loony BoB
07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Honestly, all the games have their differences. Some gamers can't get by without top-of-the-line graphics, and if that's what makes or breaks a game for them then the obvious choice is FFXIII. However, if they want more gameplay or a better story, there are obvious alternatives that better represent the broader gameplay amongst the series in general. FFVII for me is the best mix of story + gameplay, although I can see how VIII might top it. If they like more old-school fantasy, though, then FFIX is the way to go. If they want graphics better than the PSX quality but don't want to get bogged down with political storylines or too much (XII) or too little (XIII) gameplay, then FFX is pretty much the only option.

Into online gaming? FFXIV, obviously.

If they are happy to take on the older 2D games then FFV would be my foremost reccomendation because it's a light hearted game with awesome gameplay, and people tend to like that kind of thing. It's very easy to get caught up in. Another worthwhile if non-main-series mention is Crisis Core.

metagloria
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Another worthwhile if non-main-series mention is Crisis Core.
Duuuude you can't have someone start with Crisis Core...they've got to play VII first. Mainly just because of the ending.

Sephiroth
07-17-2014, 01:10 PM
There is a good chance that the first Final Fantasy one trys out and finishes is their favourite later so its best to just show them a bit of some Final Fantasy and let them decide which one to try out. Not that I didn't give them just one Final Fantasy ever. That also happened.

And Crisis Core is okay to begin with. It starts the story of Final Fantasy VII and the plot twist of Final Fantasy VII with Cloud's confabulation and Zack ism still confusing for someone who begins.

Loony BoB
07-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Duuuude you can't have someone start with Crisis Core...they've got to play VII first. Mainly just because of the ending.
In all honesty I wonder if it would be even better if you didn't know what was going to happen...

metagloria
07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
In all honesty I wonder if it would be even better if you didn't know what was going to happen...

It's sort of a catch-22 because you can't play one without spoiling the other. But whereas Crisis Core's ending remains awesome after you play VII, if you really get the ending it makes two-thirds of the story of VII irrelevant. I'd be curious to see how someone would react though.