PDA

View Full Version : Thrift Shop

Pike
06-29-2014, 03:08 PM
How often do you go pop some tags with only $20 in your pocket?

Ever found any really good thrift shop finds?

Araciel
06-29-2014, 03:10 PM
USed to go a lot - used to get some sweet books for like a dollar.

Also good clothes in my size but that takes a lot of work to find.

Formalhaut
06-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I love charity shop stores. I got this hilarious rainbow bow tie for a friend (who is quite gay) at a retro shop for not much at all. You don't always get quality, but you can find some real gems if you look hard enough.

noxious.sunshine
06-29-2014, 04:08 PM
I used to go to Plato's Closet- a consignment shop that only sells "designer" labels.

I snagged a pair of 7 For All Mankind jeans for $20 one time along with what turned out to be a $150 Tiffany necklace for $7.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-29-2014, 04:57 PM
I had a friend that experimented with going to thrift stores to get various items and then try to sell them. He made extremely good money doing that, but he got extremely lucky in the stuff he'd find.

I've gotten some books from thrift stores, but I've never really looked too hard for stuff when I go. The best I've found was a couch for really cheap for my dorm room which my roommates all called Debra for whatever reason.

Christmas
06-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I buy DBZ cards and toys from kids at the playground. Does that counts? :bigsmile:

Shiny
06-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Some thrift shops in New York end up having expensive stuff in there sometimes because rich people like to do spring and summer cleaning. This is really the perfect time to do some thrift shop shopping.

Fuzakeru
06-30-2014, 02:35 AM
ALL. THE. TIME! :D

It is like a treasure hunt! My boyfriend and I have a ritual of going to get chicken and egg biscuits for breakfast and then stop by the thrift store on the way home. My favorite find is this like 3ft x 3ft picture of Versailles that now hangs up in our dining room. Either that or our crazy looking wooden totem pole voodoo mask thing. Also can't beat my candlestick collection either!

blackmage_nuke
06-30-2014, 02:53 AM
I found FF7 for $5 at a second hand store

noxious.sunshine
06-30-2014, 03:00 AM
Some thrift shops in New York end up having expensive stuff in there sometimes because rich people like to do spring and summer cleaning. This is really the perfect time to do some thrift shop shopping.

Where are the best ones??

Arc_Master_14
06-30-2014, 03:46 AM
I've never found anything I've liked. I have been searching for a sport coat and well every time I find one in the color i want it isn't the right size. My gf though is great in thrift store and not only finds stuff she likes, but also re-purposes stuff quite well.

noxious.sunshine
06-30-2014, 04:20 AM
I've looked online at a few places.. I think I'll wind up buying like super cool furniture from a thrift shop - maybe get into some DIY make overs with like wooden stuff that may not be in the best shape..

Since it'll be awhile before we have money to buy pricier brand new stuff anyway..

I found a fabulous turquoise tuxedo sofa on one plane's website that's up for auction.. haha. I'm excited now.

Miss Mae
06-30-2014, 04:33 AM
When I was still in theatre I'd go to op-shops a lot for costume materials. I still do occasionally for the sake of cosplay or art projects, but not that often. Once I found a really cool jacket in an op-shop.

There's one place near my house that I should visit more - they have an entire room full of shoes there, and they're all really good quality. They also sell really nice antique-styled accessories, corsets, cool vests, unique dresses and the like.

Shiny
06-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Where are the best ones??
Buffalo Exchange is one of them. I don't know of many furniture thrift stores though.

noxious.sunshine
06-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Housing Works is what I found online while browsing through. That's where I found the furniture for auction..

P and I are going downtown tomorrow for a picnic lunch & play on the playground. I fully plan on checking out some places while we're out .

Alive-Cat
06-30-2014, 05:17 PM
I used to prefer getting stuff from these kinds of stores, these days much less. I mainly used to go in vintage shops and buy second hand clothes for more money than normal clothes :greenie:

Shorty
06-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Love thrift stores.

Jess
07-02-2014, 07:39 AM
I never do, really. Mostly because I usually have a specific idea of what I want when I go shopping and I don't want to have to rummage around forever to find it! I want to be in and out as quickly as possible. I mostly do my shopping online.

Big D
07-02-2014, 08:52 AM
I've got a lot of sweet threads from op shops and sallies over the years. Business shirts, trousers, winter coats, formal wear, victoriana, waistcoats - if I can look good in it, chances are I've bought at least some of it from an op shop.

But not shoes.

Pike
07-24-2014, 10:39 AM
The other day I went in and got packets of batteries for 99 cents a pop.

Deal of the century.