PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Antagonist?

Wolf Kanno
06-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Time to vote on your favorite antagonist in this game!

Neptunia
06-30-2014, 08:11 AM
I'd say Shin-ra as they are a more active antagonist than sephiroth is. hell you don't see the real one till northern crater.

Rez09
06-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Honestly, ancient Jenova, from the little you learn about her, is my favorite antagonist in the game; she's like a more terrifying version of the monster from The Thing, supplanting and corrupting people as she slowly spread out among the world.

That said, Sephiroth, up until the Temple of the Ancients, is my favorite from the list. He is probably one of the most intimidating villains in the franchise with how he is communicated to the player early on -- that sword in President Shinra's back, burned Nibelheim, and impaled Zolom leave quite the impression -- and he worked well from the shadows as a fairly mysterious, looming threat. Unfortunately, explanation and interaction blunted that edge by the time the party goes for The Black Materia, and even before the end of Disc 1 I felt a lot of his magic as a villain had worn off.

Shiva95
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Surely Sephiroth. He is cruel, and I like antagonist like him. Every time he's there, it is really interesting.

Sephiroth
06-30-2014, 12:53 PM
I'd say Shin-ra as they are a more active antagonist than sephiroth is. hell you don't see the real one till northern crater.

Except it is him. A shell is nothing. We are the consciousness/soul. And Sephiroth's is projected in whichever body he uses.

... ancient Jenova ...

JENOVA is not a Cetra. It is an alien with destructive nature, instinct-driven and uses its abilities to fool others, a chameleon you could say. Except you really meant "ancient" like "ancient" and not "The Ancient", so not the Cetra.

My answer to the thread is Sephiroth. Of course. He has a very spectre-like appearance while you chase him and that alone is ominous.

Pumpkin
07-01-2014, 02:14 AM
Turks :colbert:

Sephex
07-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Sephiroth I like the most. I know that the anti FFVII train hates him because overzealous FFVII fans usually like him for shallow reasons, but I felt he did a good job playing the villain.

NeoCracker
07-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Sephiroth wasn't so much a bad villain (The death of Shinra and the Midgar Zoram at the games beginning did a good job to set him up as threatening, for example), it's just he wasn't a great one, and is pretty outclassed in terms of awesome villainy by Shin-ra and Hojo. Not entirely sure they should be separate entities, but I can understand the distinction.

Hojo takes it for me, even though his going away at games end just came out of left field and felt completely out of character for the guy we'd scene up until now.

Shinra also has a strong presence everywhere you go in the game. No matter where you are, Shinra has it's slimy little hands there. Messing with stuff. And not even because you are there. It's just what they do.

Now, in this regard they don't' do quite as well as, say, Breath of Fire II did, but still it was handled well enough. :p

Clo
07-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Why is JENOVA not an option?! She's a catalyst!

The Man
07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Shinra is a much more interesting antagonist than the other two. Mad scientists and people who want to kill everyone are a dime a dozen in RPGs, but you don't see many evil corporations driven by greed. I sort of felt like a lot more could have done with the Shinra plot.

Ayen
07-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Shinra is a much more interesting antagonist than the other two. Mad scientists and people who want to kill everyone are a dime a dozen in RPGs, but you don't see many evil corporations driven by greed. I sort of felt like a lot more could have done with the Shinra plot.

This. I like Sephiroth's character better before he became a villain and I'm indifferent towards Hojo. Shinra was responsible for pretty much all the major trout that happened in the game and their entire setup was well executed.

Rostum
07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Definitely Shinra.

Bubba
07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Don Corneo

Mo-Nercy
07-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I liked Rufus, but not anyone else amongst the Shinra higher-ups.

The Turks were good fun.

Forsaken Lover
08-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Hojo was the man. It's why you NEED Vincent in your party. Having him there reveals the real evil in the game is Hojo. Sephiroth is just an extension of Hojo's madness.

Carl the Llama
08-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Turks :colbert:

The Turks worked for the Shinra. :p

Don Corneo

Finally someone bringing some sanity in this thread, how on earth isn't he on the list?!?

Crop
08-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Firstly...

she's like a more terrifying version of the monster from The Thing

Nothing is more terrifying than the monster from The Thing,

Secondly, Shinra are the superior villains, for most of the reasons stated above....and also their cool theme.

Uchu
08-18-2014, 02:19 AM
Hojo is a frigging crazy SOB and a sicko at the same time. He gets over shadowed by Shinra's wrong doings and Sephiroth, but left to his own devices he definitely had the ability to mess up peoples lives. Perhaps on a smaller scale, but what he did to Lucrecia is pretty damn awful.

Sephiroth is also cruel. Manipulating Cloud and seemingly enjoying his struggling and pain, at times even laughing at him. But originally, he was actually a pretty 'okay' guy... maybe.

However, I think Shinra would take my pick. Mainly because all the problems stemmed from them. The fact that President Shinra would just watch an entire sector collapse and kill hundreds, if not thousands of people. Forces his ideas on other nations/towns/places. Puts people in danger for the benefit of his own wallet, and if they survive, kills 'em anyway. Would definitely be on Santa's naughty list.
But great, he dies. Oh, crap, he has a son... who is even more of a lunatic. At least according to his introduction. Yay, for family!

So yeah, Shinra get's my vote.