PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Games

Wolf Kanno
06-30-2014, 08:43 AM
This use to be one of my favorite genres and I still enjoy an occasional bout here and there. Who else loves this genre/ What are your favorite series?

Rez09
06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
This is, without a doubt, my favorite genre, though I can be quite picky about my fighting games at times.

As for my favorite series, it's probably The Last Blade or Samurai Shodown. I find the overall aesthetics of the games pleasing, mechanics and pacing beyond agreeable, and the casts are a LOT of fun, especially the wackier members like Tam-Tam and Genbu.

Pumpkin
06-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Tekken :jess:

Depression Moon
06-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'm a Tekken man too, but I've been playing since the first and I'm getting tired of it which is why I skipped out on Tag 2. I used to play in tournaments from 2010 to 2012, but I haven't been able to do it at all in the past two years due to being at a real college now. I want to get back into the scene and if I did I'd be competing in Persona 4 Arena, Skullgirls, and maybe Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Pumpkin
06-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I love Tekken Tag 2! Tekken 3 was probably my favourite.

I enjoy Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat also but I don't like them all and I don't play them often

Wolf Kanno
06-30-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm mostly an old school Street Fighter man though the Alpha series is probably my favorite SF series. Guilty Gear is fun too but for reasons I can't quite explain myself, I really don't care for BlazBlue, I find it clunky for some reason.

Mirage
06-30-2014, 07:29 PM
I play tekken from time to time, but I never got super good at it. I prefer the soul calibur series, but that series is kind of not very popular anymore so it's hard to find people to play against.

For some reason, 2D fighters never worked well for me.

fat_moogle
06-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Tekken is the only fighting game that I ever buy. I've tried to play Soul Calibur and Street Fighter but I just can't get in to them at all. I didn't bother getting Tag 2 though as I'm hoping that Tekken 7 will get announced soon!

Mirage
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Tag 2 is actually a really good tekken game. Lots of cool music, *every* character, tons of customisation.

Depression Moon
06-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Tekken is the only fighting game that I ever buy. I've tried to play Soul Calibur and Street Fighter but I just can't get in to them at all. I didn't bother getting Tag 2 though as I'm hoping that Tekken 7 will get announced soon!

Tekken x Street Fighter might still come out as well.

Mirage
06-30-2014, 09:48 PM
SFxT didnt' fit me because it's a SF game with tekken characters. I am sure a tekken game with SF characters will be much more up my alley.

Perducci
06-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Street Fighter II, Tekken, and any of the Marvel Vs. Capcom games.

I'm terrible at them, but they're pretty fun.

Skyblade
06-30-2014, 11:48 PM
SFxT didnt' fit me because it's a SF game with tekken characters. I am sure a tekken game with SF characters will be much more up my alley.

Supposedly, they were making one. SFXT was Street Fighter with Tekken characters. TXSF was supposed to be the other way around.

Rez09
07-01-2014, 03:15 AM
I'm mostly an old school Street Fighter man though the Alpha series is probably my favorite SF series. Guilty Gear is fun too but for reasons I can't quite explain myself, I really don't care for BlazBlue, I find it clunky for some reason.

I had a similar problem with BB at first, and I found it due to the unique command button that characters in BB have; it didn't jibe with the gatling combos I was expecting and threw my flow way off.

I LOVE me some Street Fighter Alpha. :D I try to avoid V-Ism, because those on-demand invincible startup frames and 80% combos are silly, and I dislike how useless they made Alpha Counters in the third game, but I love the overall mechanics and feel of the series, and, tiers be damned, Birdie is one of the most satisfying characters to play as. When you have meter and see that fireball coming from across the screen. . . :plotting:

Colonel Angus
07-01-2014, 05:18 AM
Street Fighter is my favorite of them all. As mentioned, the Alpha Series was the best. I loved the World Tournament mode in SFA3 on the PSX. Mortal Kombat & Soul Caliber are a good 2nd & 3rd.

Mirage
07-01-2014, 07:34 AM

Supposedly, they were making one. SFXT was Street Fighter with Tekken characters. TXSF was supposed to be the other way around.
Are you saying they cancelled it?

Sephex
07-01-2014, 07:45 AM
TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER! TIGER UPPERCUT!

Rez09
07-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Sephex
07-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Nice.

But this is my favorite character from Street Fighter:

http://www.nndb.com/people/453/000025378/bsaget2-sm.jpg

Lonely Paper Star
07-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, and Guilty Gear. XD

Skyblade
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Are you saying they cancelled it?

It was announced in 2010 (the same time as SFXT, I believe). There was a poll in 2012 to help determine which characters fans wanted to see in the lineup.

As far as I can tell, that is all that we have gotten on the subject officially. So not technically cancelled, but no other news either.

Mirage
07-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Harada seems to have confirmed that the game is still in development sometime around August 2013. They're probably shifting the development over to ps4 and x1.

The two games were always on completely different schedules, and TXSF wasn't even started on when they showed the teaser for SFxT back in whenever.

Mercen-X
07-07-2014, 12:22 AM
I've played mostly Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken... and DOA and Soul Calibur. I've sampled others like Darkstalkers, Deadly Arts, Killer Instinct, ClayFighter, Guilty Gear (I sucked at this game, my first play through, I was constantly wiped out by I-No), BioFREAKS, Super Smash Bros, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja, Primal Rage, Masters of Teras Kasi, Tournament of Legends (which I own but haven't played since I put my Wii away), Yu Yu Hakusho: the Dark Tournament, Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals, Bushido Blade, WWF Attitude, Simpsons Wrestling...

Ayen
07-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Bloody Roar
Bushido Blade
Evil Zone
Mortal Kombat
Soul Calibur
Street Fighter
Super Smash Bros
Tekken

I suck at the genre in general but that never stopped me before. Evil Zone is the game I'm the best at.

Mo-Nercy
07-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I love all fighting games, but the only ones I've ever gotten good at are Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Unfortunately I peaked some time ago. I blew a lot of money in the arcades playing Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur 2, but subsequent sequels have just added more and more (and in SC5's case - killed off my favourite character) and it's been tough to keep at it. Tag 2 feels quite foreign to me because I was kind of slow to take up T6.

Mirage
07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
who was your favourite, cassandra?

Ultima Shadow
07-07-2014, 05:20 PM
The only two fighting games I play somewhat seriously are Super Smash Bros Melee and Touhou 12.3: Hisoutensoku. Most other fighting games kinda bore me after a while, though I like making silly and awesome custom characters in the later Soul Calibur games. :greenie:

Mercen-X
07-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Also, I can do fairly admirably at fighting games. Losing streaks are pretty rare for me and I have to present brownie points to whomever is responsible for my thrashing. I remember my uncle would spam fireballs as Liu Kang on MK and the only way I could match him was to play as Scorpion and spam hook-to-uppercut which he always said was a cheap move. My ex-girlfriend was awesome as Kasumi on Dead Or Alive. One of my cousin's friends totally thrashed me in Marvel/Capcom and, while part of me wanted to strangle him, I forced myself to admit defeat.

My favorite moment was using Raphael on Soulcalibur to trash someone who was totally dissing him. Raphael is one of my favorite characters and I can use him pretty well.

Ayen
07-08-2014, 02:26 AM
I used to button mash the hell out of my older brother on most fighting games we played, namely Street Fighter. But then he went and learned all the moves and started kicking my ass every which way.

Another fighting game I neglected to mention before was Marvel Superheroes. That game was fun.

Mo-Nercy
07-08-2014, 04:42 AM
Yup. Though Pyrrha Omega bears the most resemblance in her fighting style, she's more similar to Sophitia than Cassandra.

escobert
07-08-2014, 05:14 AM
I've never been a big fan of fighters. But I do love me some Soul Caliber 2 on GameCube.

Mirage
07-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Yup. Though Pyrrha Omega bears the most resemblance in her fighting style, she's more similar to Sophitia than Cassandra.

I really miss cassie too :(
and kilik
and even zassy
and mina
and basically everyone

Christmas
07-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I play a bit of street fighters and king of fighters. :bigsmile:

Let's just say I am not very good at it. :(

Mo-Nercy
07-08-2014, 04:25 PM

I really miss cassie too :(
and kilik
and even zassy
and mina
and basically everyone
I've always been a fan of pressure characters in fighting games, and Cassie suited me perfectly. Her oki and Ring Out game was amazing. I don't often get into characters who need a lot of mix-ups or stances (Voldo, Ivy etc.). Siegfried provides a nice balance, and I can still play a good pressure game with Talim, but it's not the same.

I can only hope that SC5 is like what Tekken 4 was to the Tekken series and that the next installment just brings everyone back.

Mirage
07-08-2014, 07:30 PM
I don't think they will make another proper soul calibur

Mercen-X
07-15-2014, 06:53 AM
My all time favorites have been Tekken, DOA, and Soulcalibur.

Rocket Edge
07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
The only one I ever got truly involved in is Tekken. I love the series.

Vyk
07-16-2014, 04:46 AM
I don't think they will make another proper soul calibur
Yeah, last time I looked up news on SC I read that one of the creators was kinda disgusted with his team and that half the staff was only still around because they loved making Ivy's boobs bigger and bigger in every installment

In the same article, it was hinted that they made SC5 so far in the future to get away from that mindset, but such a large portion of the team was so in love with Ivy they had to bring back some characters. Though she's effectively immortal, so it makes sense. But I find it sad that they've basically become the DOA team, too obsessed with boobage to focus on making a decent game

On topic, in both regards actually, most of my favorite franchises seem to have fallen off the horse. I didn't really care for SC4, and 5 was almost too different for me to enjoy at all. All my characters were gone. As pervy as it is, I always enjoyed how fluid and fast DoA games were, but didn't really enjoy DoA 5 either. Street Fighter is really fun, but they've been rehashing 4 a bit too much. Which I know was the game plan the entire time, but I'm tired of it now. Guilty Gear and Blaze Blu sadly seem a little too slow for me

I will say I loved the new Mortal Kombat. Best fighting game for a single player ever. I'm also one of the few people who truly enjoyed everything about Soul Calibur 3. Probably my favorite fighting game. So many characters and combinations, great customization, and my favorite single-player fighting game mode: Chronicles of the Sword. Honestly I super duper wish they would have expanded on that mode in more recent games. A strategy RPG with fighting game encounters is awesome. It's sadly so basic in that game. But I still enjoy it way more than I probably should

Mo-Nercy
07-16-2014, 07:19 AM
I'm right with you for Soulcalibur 3. It offered the best console experience of any fighter I've played. I still put it behind SC2 because it wasn't in arcades.

It was also very nice of Namco to give Cassandra a few more stunning moves and two low grabs to make her so so broken and God-tier. XD

Mirage
07-16-2014, 07:27 AM
I was a bit bummed that they rereleased SC2 for PS3, and not 3. Also, no japanese voices :(

I also actually like DoA5 ultimate. It even has an option to reduce the perviness, by making breasts jiggle in a more realistic manner, or just turn that stuff off entirely.

Vyk
07-16-2014, 08:45 PM
I was a bit bummed that they rereleased SC2 for PS3, and not 3. Also, no japanese voices :(

I also actually like DoA5 ultimate. It even has an option to reduce the perviness, by making breasts jiggle in a more realistic manner, or just turn that stuff off entirely.

Yeah, I hope they eventually put SC3 on PSN, or come out with a re-mastered version of it

And I was not aware DoA 5 Ultimate had grown up. Either that option wasn't available in the Vanilla 5, or I never noticed it. But that's pretty cool. Maybe my girlfriend would take the franchise more seriously with that option...

sharkythesharkdogg
07-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Tekken, and I'm a long time King user. Using King nowadays is a tough road.

I also like Soul Caliber, and I use Seung Mina and Lizardman.

I really enjoy a variety of 2D fighters. I always liked Spider-Man from MvC.

Rocket Edge
07-16-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm a big fan of Tekken, and I'm a long time King user. Using King nowadays is a tough road.
Giant swing ftw )

Yellow_Magic
07-17-2014, 12:04 AM
I don't play fighters as much as I'd like to, mostly because I'm bad at them. I was pretty decent at Tekken back in the day though, especially in school where I was one of the best players and would regularly come out on top in lunch break tournaments. I'm worried that my reflexes might already be getting worse as a result of my age (I'm 22, not THAT old but I think the peak for competitive fighting games is, like 24?), so I'm probably never going to be as good as the top top players.

Lately Persona 4 Arena's caught my interest, and as such I'm pretty psyched for Persona 4 Ultimax.

jodymcdougle
07-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Definitely the Clay Fighter series! anyone else remember those games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClayFighter

Mirage
07-17-2014, 01:37 AM

Yeah, I hope they eventually put SC3 on PSN, or come out with a re-mastered version of it

And I was not aware DoA 5 Ultimate had grown up. Either that option wasn't available in the Vanilla 5, or I never noticed it. But that's pretty cool. Maybe my girlfriend would take the franchise more seriously with that option...

DOA5 vanilla was "supposed" to grow up, but the fans got angry and demanded that tits would move in ridiculous ways so they caved in and put in the classic DoA physics instead. DOA5U added the different options. You now have "off/natural/doa/extreme" :|. Extreme makes it look like they're ballons filled with foam or something.

Of course, the ridiculous breast sizes never changed. While it might seem cool to just put it to "off", it actually looks really strange when a double D tit is as rigid as a piece of plastic while the characters change directions at 500 mph.

Other than that, I think the gameplay is pretty fun, and Ein is back. That was my main back in DoA2.

black orb
07-17-2014, 05:05 AM
>>> I like 2D fighting games...:luca:

sharkythesharkdogg
07-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Other than that, I think the gameplay is pretty fun, and Ein is back. That was my main back in DoA2.

I always enjoyed the "rock, paper, scissors" counter system in DoA and DoA2:Ultimate was my favorite. I really, really enjoyed it. The gameplay was fast and fluid, but you still had characters with some depth and layers.

I usually wound up using Bass, Tina, or Leon because I enjoy grapplers, but a lot of the cast were fun. Jan Lee is a lot of fun, even if his move set is pretty simple.

Who here enjoys Virtua Fighter? I like Jacky, and the first version of Vanessa. I didn't like how they felt the need to soften up her voice and her looks. I thought it was a neat idea to have this cold, harsh, completely ripped woman who used a very hard fighting style.

Mirage
07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
DoA5 changed the counter system which made it a bit more competitive minded. Previously, you could counter any attack with just three different inputs, high, mid and low. Because you had such a high chance of just wildly guessing the right counter to use, it was hard to get so called "guaranteed damage" out of combos, as you could be randomly countered at nearly all times.

Now, the game also splits the system into kick/punch as well as high/mid/low, so random guessing on a counter to use drops to 1/6th instead. Also, there are more stuns that you can't get out of with countering.

It's still pretty intuitive though, you just need to know if the next attack is a kick or a punch, in addition to its height. It's -> + block to counter mid kicks, and <- + block to counter mid punches. Iirc.

Vyk
07-17-2014, 02:21 PM
I actually enjoyed the counter system. It was less likely to get stuck in a ridiculous combo. Made fights seem more "realistic", rather than "fighting game" mechanics. If that makes any sense, given the subject matter lol

Like you have to be ridiculously fast to know/guess the type of attack and also input the move to counter in games like Soul Calibur. I'm not a super high level fighting game master. I'm merely above average. I don't count frames or worry much about hit-boxes. I just now how to do moves and strategies to use. But dissecting the system is beyond me. And DoA made it possible to play with the big dogs. Getting hit with a 30 hit combo just feels cheap otherwise. If someone knows those moves, once you take the first hit you're done for. I imagine that's what a lot of people liked about Killer Instinct. The later games thrived on combo breakers

Mirage
07-17-2014, 03:56 PM
As I understand it, blocking/countering on reaction is unusual even in high level play. What people do is make educated guesses on which move the opponent will perform after the one that is currently being displayed on screen, either based on which combo would deal the most damage, or which combo the opponent has used in a similar situation before. If you know that the enemy knows that a certain combo would completely decimate you, you can predict his move ahead of time. Of course, if the enemy knows that you know, he might switch from the combo that would defeat you, to one that wouldn't defeat you to avoid your counterattack.

Wolf Kanno
07-17-2014, 11:17 PM

I had a similar problem with BB at first, and I found it due to the unique command button that characters in BB have; it didn't jibe with the gatling combos I was expecting and threw my flow way off.

I LOVE me some Street Fighter Alpha. :D I try to avoid V-Ism, because those on-demand invincible startup frames and 80% combos are silly, and I dislike how useless they made Alpha Counters in the third game, but I love the overall mechanics and feel of the series, and, tiers be damned, Birdie is one of the most satisfying characters to play as. When you have meter and see that fireball coming from across the screen. . . :plotting:

Yeah, I think it's the unique command button that throws me off as well. That, and I just find it slow for some reason but I know it is not. It is just that it often feels like every character plays like Nightmare from SC, slow to begin but once you start chaining attacks suddenly it's really hard to fight it off.

Spooniest
07-18-2014, 03:12 AM
I've played my fair share of Street Fighter...

The thing about fighting games is that they're basically bullies that beat kids up and take their lunch money. :) I've often thought this when recently re-playing some of the old arcade favorites like Street Fighter 2: Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo was especially guilty of this. It doesn't even pretend to want you to win, not even on the easiest setting.

HADOKEN!

Depression Moon
07-18-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm eager to try out the expansion to Persona 4 Arena whenever that comes out. It has my boy Junpei in it.

The Space Pope
07-19-2014, 04:29 AM
Not really huge into fighting games, but I use to be pretty good at Tekken. 2D fighters have never really done it for me, though I've played a few (SF, MK, Fatal Fury, Primal Rage etc.)

Single player modes tend to be a letdown for me, especially in games where the game can read your button inputs and react accordingly before you're even physically capable of reacting. DOA is especially guilty of this, as is Soul Calibur to a lesser degree, though I give the SC series credit for having some halfway decent single player modes and a good sized range of customization options.