PDA

View Full Version : Bad Jobs

Wolf Kanno
06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
What was the worst job you ever had? Those who remember the last time we had this topic will know my answer...

Alive-Cat
06-30-2014, 05:11 PM
I once washed up in a theme park restaurant for a summer when I was at college. I'd have to work like 11 - 11ish at night with no break, not even being able to move from the spot, constantly washing up. My nails ended up all black and my skin on my hands was disgusting from being submerged in water for like 12 hours. Gross

Pumpkin
06-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Tim Hortons

5 am, difficult customers, incompetent coworkers (some, not all), bosses who were too involved in their hating each other drama, having to look busy even if there was nothing to do

escobert
06-30-2014, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't say any of my jobs have been particularly bad. I'd have to say working at McDonald's as a teenager in high school was probably the worst I've had. I've had tons of jobs.

I washed dishes at an Italian restaurant and worked my way up to prep cook then doing all of the salads and deserts. I then was a line cook at a seafood place.

I worked in a machine shop making torch tip parts for plasma cutters. I also built the plasma cutter units for a while.

I worked for a construction company doing demolition and then carpentry.

I ran wire and outlets/lights that sort of stuff with my dad who used to be a licensed master electrician. I also built chimneys with him and did some plumbing!

I've also worked on a horse farm and of course my families former dairy cow now beef cow farm.

Oh I've also painted for a company for a summer.

I worked at the local Price Chopper Deli for a couple years.

I worked as a inventory management person for Home Depot for a year until the positions were eliminated :(

And now I make all natural bar shampoo! But, my dad would like me to start working more on the farm to transition to me taking over.

Shorty
06-30-2014, 10:26 PM
I worked at Wendy's when I was 17, and that wasn't great, but it was okay for a teenager, I guess.

My worst worst job was an administrative job I was straight up emotionally and mentally abused by my boss who tested out smurfed up mind games on me, controlled me with fear, and spread lies about me to my coworkers who I was friends with so they would stay away from me. As an impressionable and gullible eighteen year-old out in the world alone for the first time in her life, I was stupidly susceptible to her tyranny.

Perducci
06-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I was a waiter for about two months before I decided that I am never going to be a waiter again.

StarCross1988
06-30-2014, 10:39 PM
I've only ever worked at two places. McDonalds for 7 years and Kmart for 2. Kmart was the worst of the two, I may feel that way a lot because our store is closing on the 6th of July. Retail I don't really think is my thing.

Sephex
06-30-2014, 11:56 PM
I worked as a busboy for my first job when I was 14. I worked one major wedding and dropped a bunch of glasses. My employers didn't really care, but what made me quit right away was that my check for working all night was only 13 dollars. When tips were split, everyone else who knew each other there hogged all the money and gave me a couple of bucks. I had a friend who started at the same time who got shafted, as well.

He was pissed that I quit, but even his father told him that if he stayed there he would be a fool. I have no idea how they had anyone working there as long as they did.

So basically, I had an awkward, bad experience that was humiliating and I made less money then I would have for mowing one lawn. I have no clue how anyone can stand working in the service industry at all. The only positive that came from that experience is that I make sure I treat people in restaurants nice when I go out to eat. It's not like I was mean before, but I had a small taste of what a soul crushing experience that was, and I hated it.

Jessweeee♪
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Being a secretary was the worst thing ever for me. My job duties were not well defined and my boss had unrealistic deadlines. A lot of the work I was supposed to be doing was plain unethical. Luckily I never actually had to do any of this because nobody fell for the stupid scam but I was basically supposed to contact foreign students wanting to study in the US and take thousands of dollars as a "handling fee" to turn their paperwork into the school they wanted to attend. I was never to link them directly to the school's website or provide them with their contact info, or they might figure out they can just send it to the school themselves and not pay us an assload of money. I was to instruct them to never ever mention us at all to the US Embassy and especially don't mention that they paid us money. Also the boss kept trying to bribe me into marrying his son in Israel. To this day he still occasionally emails my grandfather to try to arrange a marriage and my grandpa is like "um no that's not how it works."

:|

The nice thing was that whenever the boss was out of the country I pretty much had nothing to do and I could spend the whole day dicking around on EoFF.

Araciel
07-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Night shift at a factory that made heating elements. I was a bender. My job was to rig machines to bend elements. Once I rigged up the right setup, I would spend hours doing the same motion over and over. 10 hour shifts from 9 pm to 7 am... I was not a happy man.

Colonel Angus
07-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Also the boss kept trying to bribe me into marrying his son in Israel. To this day he still occasionally emails my grandfather to try to arrange a marriage and my grandpa is like "um no that's not how it works."

:|

@ least you have a back-up plan if your current relationship doesn't work out. :p

Scotty_ffgamer
07-01-2014, 05:08 AM
Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft has to be the worst I've had so far. I was miserable everyday I worked. Customers were customers (though not absolutely terrible there surprisingly), but the management made things hell for me a lot of the time.

That being said, I've had very few jobs. My current one at the pretzel place I've worked off and on since Sophomore year of high school. I really like my coworkers and my bosses, so that's why I've stuck with it for so long. It's a crappy job honestly, but I enjoy my time there. Then I did work study stuff in college which was nice. Working front desk at the dorms meant I was getting paid to sit and do homework. Working the concession stand at games got me free food (and I had cool people I worked with).

If an internship thing counts, maybe I should say student teaching was the worst job actually. That was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Miss Mae
07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Working in a noodle shop with three others - one spoke broken English and the other two spoke no English at all. I basically acted as translator. The phone barely worked, the counter was too high for me to hear over properly and the kitchen hygiene was not exactly optimal. The woks were always on and even in the middle of winter I couldn't help feeling unpleasantly hot and sweaty. They paid cash under the table, only ever put me on for two hour shifts (minimum here legally for casual workers is three), paid 2/3 the minimum wage and refused to grant me penalty hours for weekend work.

Christmas
07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Any jobs that don't pay you enough! :mymelbert:

Shiny
07-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Probably the job where I had to work from 8PM - 4AM because it was such an awkward time to go home. None of the trains or buses I needed to take were running so I'd just have to wait till closer to 6AM to go home. I'd go to work and it would be dark outside and I'd come home and it would be light. Absolutely terrible and will never do that again. Luckily it was only for a short-term job as a came on closer to when the project was wrapping. I worked all sorts of jobs with varying shifts and so far the 1PM - 9PM shift was the best time for me.

Pike
07-24-2014, 10:44 AM
It's a tie between being a housekeeper and Sears/K-Mart. For the record Sears/K-Mart is going downhill fast and I'm shocked that they're still in business.

Night Fury
07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Selling charity raffle tickets for 8 hours a day, hating it, and getting paid pennies. Quit after 10 days.

Christmas
09-28-2022, 04:17 AM
Being a recognised member in some FF forum. :(