PDA

View Full Version : Library

Pike
06-30-2014, 05:17 PM
When was the last time you went to the library? Do you go frequently?

I actually haven't been in a long while. I used to go a lot when I was younger, partially because I didn't take dance lessons after school like my sisters did (I saw that as much too ~~~girly~~~ and thus I wanted nothing to do with it) so I went and hung out at the library after school instead. I also recall using ancient IBM computers to look up books that I wanted when I was like five. The librarians always tried to kick me off because they thought I was playing around but I was legitimately using the computers! :colbert:

Alive-Cat
06-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Not in many many years! I like owning books.

KentaRawr!
06-30-2014, 05:20 PM
I go to my University's library so often that my old roommate thought that all of my books on our shared book shelf weren't actually part of my collection, but were actually just library books. :lol:

I rarely finish them, though, sadly. When I do read a book I tend to finish it that day, but that's with novels. Anything non-fiction will almost certainly take me days to finish, and I'm always finding new books on topics that I think are really neat, but never have the time to finish. :(

Pumpkin
06-30-2014, 05:24 PM
I should go soon. It's one of my challenges! I used to go all the time but if I can't walk there then I don't go because I hate driving

Shauna
06-30-2014, 06:44 PM
I go from time to time. I used to pass time before work and such things by sitting in the library. I stopped doing that when I couldn't take the kids song time which drove me batty which was on every day at the times I was trying to chill.

Jess
06-30-2014, 07:36 PM
I haven't been to the library since I left college. I buy all my books (and now e-books), so I don't have need of the library.

chionos
06-30-2014, 11:13 PM
I go often. I too like to own my books, but I don't have all the money in the world to buy literally every book, so I have to trial-run them first. I've found several books/series in the library that I probably never would have read otherwise. The library is how I found N.K. Jemisin.

Araciel
07-01-2014, 01:39 AM
My reading habits aren't compatible with the library. I sometimes burn through many books in a week.. Then other times I'll buy a stack and not touch them for months.

Calliope
07-01-2014, 01:58 AM
For those of you who don't frequent libraries because you "don't read", I'd like to point out that many of them also have current DVDs, CDs, video games, magazines, puzzles, language learning kits and audiobooks in their collections. They can also provide you with free wifi, computer/printer/copier/laptop use, study space, help with doing taxes/finding employment/learning languages/learning crafts/learning instruments; and host regular programmes including how to eat healthily, cosplay competitions, author events or programmes to encourage your child (of any age) to learn and engage with the world. You don't even have to step into a library to use one - most have databases you can access from home, and also have a range of music/ebooks/other materials you can download to your device, legally and for free. I don't really understand why people seem to stop visiting their library once they are done with school, but then again I average a library visit once every single day.

Pike
07-01-2014, 02:02 AM
My reason for not going to the library in a while is that it's on the side of town I never go to, and I am a terrible lazy loser.

Also they are never open when I need to go there! :mad2:

Calliope
07-01-2014, 02:08 AM
Now I want to know what library it is so that I can make it work for you :mad2:

Do you have a mobile library? They will come to you! Ugh, plus it's not uncommon for libraries to have drop-off points at other high traffic places (schools, grocery stores, public transit centres), so you don't even have to return what you get out to the library if it's that far out of the way!!! Plus if you're an old person, the library will probably come to your old folks home!!!!!

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread.

Pike
07-01-2014, 02:15 AM
Now I want to know what library it is so that I can make it work for you :mad2:

http://www.bozemanlibrary.org/

I wish they opened at 8am. Because my schedule is weird.

Calliope
07-01-2014, 02:23 AM
Hah, they are actually open for many more hours than my library! I guess if there is no way for you to get there anytime between 10am and 8pm Monday - Thursday, or that middle chunk Friday - Sunday, then...yeah.

But, as a resident of Montana, you can probably go here instead! (http://www.lib.montana.edu/borrow/resident.php) They open at 7am, and Google says it's close to the other one :D

Scotty_ffgamer
07-01-2014, 05:00 AM
I used to go to the library a lot all through high school. I went sometimes in college when I needed a ton of books for one of my Education classes, but that was a pretty infrequent thing. My main reason for that in college was the fact that I didn't have a driver's license and had to walk everywhere, and the closest public library was still too far of a walk for me. My college's library literally had nothing good going for it. ALL of the worthwhile literature was hidden away deep in the underground, and it was a ridiculous process to order any of it. It also felt kind of mean to me to make the older ladies that worked in our library to have to walk that far to get any books I may need. There were some resources and such in the "library" the student's could go to, but most people just went as a place to study and print out papers since the place was pretty worthless for getting books.

That being said, I snuck into the room in the underground where all the books were kept. There were TONS of great books that I would have checked out had the process to check them out not been stupid.

Now, I just don't go because I'm working on my own backlog of stuff. Once I get tired of what I have, I'll probably start looking at our local library more often.

chionos
07-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Plus if you're an old person, the library will probably come to your old folks home!!!!!

I didn't know Pike was that old. Good on ya, Miss Pike. The last of life for which the first was made.

That being said, I snuck into the room in the underground where all the books were kept. There were TONS of great books that I would have checked out had the process to check them out not been stupid.

I think a secret underground room full of books sounds awesome. If I ever run a library again, I'M DOING THIS.

Miss Mae
07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I haven't been to the local library in a while - probably since I moved out of my parents' place, when the library was a short walk away. I frequent the uni library though, but generally just to use the powerpoints or print things. I will start going to the library again once I run out of unread books on my own shelf.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-01-2014, 04:36 PM

I think a secret underground room full of books sounds awesome. If I ever run a library again, I'M DOING THIS.

It was awesome to explore, though I definitely was not allowed in that room. A nearby business in the caves was under construction or something, and you could sneak into the book room from there. That being said, the actual "library" didn't have any books actually inside it that you could physically check out, so that was pretty dumb.

KentaRawr!
07-01-2014, 05:09 PM
It's not a library, but for anyone who can't make it to one who'd like to read more there are a few sites with free e-books that've been made a part of the public domain. The one I frequent most often is Project Gutenberg.

Christmas
07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I think I've been to more libraries in video games than in real life. :bigsmile:

Pike
07-24-2014, 10:43 AM
It's not a library, but for anyone who can't make it to one who'd like to read more there are a few sites with free e-books that've been made a part of the public domain. The one I frequent most often is Project Gutenberg.

There are quite a few free e-books on Amazon as well!

Here's a handy list I bookmarked a while back - 100 Legal Sites to Download eBooks (http://www.truth-code.com/2014/04/free-books-100-legal-sites-to-download.html)