PDA

View Full Version : Inbox Zero

Pike
06-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Do you feel the need to have your email inbox clean and empty?

...because I don't.

According to Thunderbird I have 35912 emails in my inbox. They're all read, mind you. But I don't bother to delete them. :gator:

Pumpkin
06-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I had too many so I got a new email. I try to keep this one neat and orderly~

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-30-2014, 05:53 PM
I have dozens of unread pages. My e-mails never seem to be for me.

15% off your next flight to the Bahamas!

Jess
06-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Unread emails make me stressed. Everything must be organised. At work I have like 50 different folders so I can file them once read.

Aulayna
06-30-2014, 07:51 PM
On my Yahoo account, I have every mail dating back to 2001 when I first opened it!

Shorty
06-30-2014, 08:32 PM
I have a little over 200 in my personal inbox that I need to sort into folders. I do this once or twice a year.

I obsessively keep my work inbox cleared because that is how I know I'm finished with whatever tasks comes with the email. I'm down to twelve sitting in there now, which is the lowest it's been since I started eight months ago.

Shauna
06-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I keep all my inboxes nice and tidy.

Parker
06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
i have 0 organisation of emails. there's a search function for a reason.

Sephex
07-01-2014, 07:12 AM
I let it get out of hand for a couple of months and then I sort/delete stuff when I am bored.

Miss Mae
07-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Basically if I don't delete it as soon as I receive it (ie. some newsletters), then it will be in my inbox forever. I keep a lot of emails so I can keep track of communication and use the search function to find them later. I have a small handful of folders for some sorting (mostly to keep my Twitter stats separate from my work emails or whatever) but mostly I just let my inbox fill up. It might be nice to start again at 0 some day but I'd rather waste my time doing other things that I actually care about.

Alive-Cat
07-01-2014, 04:21 PM
I think I have about 3000 or more unread emails. They are all things I don't need to open like notifications from websites! Plus I rarely use emails to communicate anyway so I just neglect them a lot.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm like Mae in that if I don't delete it, I keep it forever. Most of what I delete is spam. My college email I kept literally ever email that I got though. This was able to save me a few times as I needed proof of things professors said, etc. I'd also send different projects or pieces of writing to myself with my college email, and that's still useful to me now when I need to try to find some piece of writing that's somehow gone missing.

Christmas
07-03-2014, 01:52 AM
I have a few thousands unread emails. If I read them, most likely I will die from some voodoo curse. :(

Ayen
07-07-2014, 05:18 AM
No. I have no desire to sort my email. It'd take too much time to sort through now anyway.

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I don't delete any of my email. I recall back in the day when email storage space was limited and deleting was actually a thing you had to do, but now we live in a glorious age of near unlimited storage capacity.

Mo-Nercy
07-24-2014, 11:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/monercy/ohdear.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/monercy/media/ohdear.jpg.html)

But hey, no junk.

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 12:12 PM
I clear out my inbox once or twice a year.

As for what there is right now, here's the unread stats...

Inbox: 1,893
Spam: 125
Facebook: 964
Google News: 3,390
LJ Comments: 16
Reported Posts: 7,881
Twitter: 348
vBulletin: 39

I think it's time I finally sorted out Outlook on my home PC. I still like Y!Mail in general but I'm way more organised when using Outlook.

Rantz
07-24-2014, 12:35 PM
I used to keep my inbox clean by sorting/archiving everything and deleting what I figured I wouldn't need, but I don't care about that anymore. The search function in Gmail is all the organisation I need. Except... I hate hate hate having a lot of unread mails. I don't know how you lot do it. If I'm not actually interested in reading something, I'll still either open it or just mark it as read manually, just to get rid of the unread marking - but overall, I unsubscribe to everything I don't care about, so I mostly only get emails that I do care to read. You people with so many unread mails, how do you keep track of what's new or what you wanna read? Do you just check your email now and then and skim through the list each time?

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
I used to keep my inbox clean by sorting/archiving everything and deleting what I figured I wouldn't need, but I don't care about that anymore. The search function in Gmail is all the organisation I need. Except... I hate hate hate having a lot of unread mails. I don't know how you lot do it. If I'm not actually interested in reading something, I'll still either open it or just mark it as read manually, just to get rid of the unread marking - but overall, I unsubscribe to everything I don't care about, so I mostly only get emails that I do care to read. You people with so many unread mails, how do you keep track of what's new or what you wanna read? Do you just check your email now and then and skim through the list each time?
I check my emails daily and the quantity never throws anything into the depths. I get about 5-10 emails per day from various companies for whatever reason. If anything I should set up more filters and unsubscribe from some of them...

Christmas
07-24-2014, 04:52 PM
You people with so many unread mails, how do you keep track of what's new or what you wanna read? Do you just check your email now and then and skim through the list each time?

That question never comes to my mind, and there will never be an answer for it. :bigsmile:

escobert
07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
I mark as read unless it's in spam. So I keep all of my emails but it's not yelling at me saying I have 4000 unread messages.

~*~Celes~*~
07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
I let it get over 2,000 before and that stressed me the smurf out, so I now go through it a couple of times a day and if it isn't important, I delete it instantly. If it's something interesting like a Biggby coffee BOGOF or $1 off one coupon, i hang on to it if I think I'll be getting a coffee soon (the ones i get in my inbox usually only last a couple of days, but I get them in those Valpacks too and those last for up to a month!). I currently have an email in my inbox regarding DBZ Battle of the Gods that I'm hanging onto in case I decide to go see it (it's going to be playing where my husband works!) and forget the time and date.

jodymcdougle
07-24-2014, 10:31 PM
I try to keep mine pretty organized.

Shiny
07-25-2014, 12:59 AM
The funniest thing is going in to your old AOL account email and seeing on the stuff on there that's like before 2005.

fire_of_avalon
07-25-2014, 02:49 AM
My work email is junky because that's my primary communication with most people since we are away from the main campus of the hospital. It bothers me but there's like 1300 jumbled messages in my inbox and probably the same amount in my archive.

Personal emails stay neat, though.

Slothy
07-25-2014, 02:59 AM
In a world where gmail exists I can't imagine why I'd ever need to delete anything.

Loony BoB
07-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Because of this thread, I have decided to clear out my inbox. I decided to make this easier by adding my Yahoo! Mail to Outlook and doing it there. Oh, man. I've left it doing send/receive for hours and it's probably not even half done. This is crazy. Either way, I've made progress and have chipped away at some things, unsubscribed from others, etc. This will keep me busy 'til Saturday...