PDA

View Full Version : Cover or Provoke?

Rez09
07-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Which do you think is the more useful skill?

Colonel Angus
07-01-2014, 05:34 AM
In X, both are very useful. Auron becomes even more important once he gets into Tidus' area of the Grid & learns Provoke.

In XII the decoy spell (which is the equivalent of Provoke) is critical in quite a few battles. Decoy + Basch = Victory

Both abilities allow your tank to draw enemy fire & allow the others free reign for the offense.

VeloZer0
07-01-2014, 07:34 AM
It really depends on the individual game mechanics in question.

Rez09
07-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Can you think of an instance where cover is almost always better than provoke or vice versa?

Pumpkin
07-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Cover. Just because I never use Provoke

VeloZer0
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Sometimes having all the damage coming into one character is too much for them to handle, and you just want to save it for when people are in critical HP. Or often times cover is passive and provoke is an active ability you have to take time to use.

Karifean
07-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Having played X HD recently, I noticed that Provoke is actually a pretty dang useful skill sometimes, especially late- to endgame. Enemies won't use their powerful group attacks and especially if your provoker has an Evade & Counter weapon, that can completely trivialize enemies right there.

I do love the Cover + Counter Attack combo though. Loved it in FF VII, loved it in FF X. And Sentinel is great as well.

Skyblade
07-05-2014, 05:14 AM
Yeah, Provoke's utility is not in forcing attacks, but rather in preventing enemies from using spells and abilities. It's basically Berserk, and serves the same purpose. When you have a spellcaster enemy who's vulnerable to it, it's awesome.

MJN SEIFER
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I really enjoy hearing different versions of my favorite songs (even if I like one better than the others) so in my mind, Cover is the better skill.