PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Dish suggestions please

Pumpkin
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
One of my challenges this year is: Make a dish from a different culture

Meaning something I haven't tried and something that isn't like... chesseburgers or other "classic" American dishes. It doesn't have to be stereotypical either, obviously like "Oh, make sushi because Japanese" but just something unique and original.

But first:
-I don't like fish
-I don't like onions if I can taste onion. If its a stew or a sauce or something that it blends in to, that's perfectly fine
-I won't eat duck or lamb

So if anyone has any suggestions for dishes that you've tried that are really yummy that I should make, please suggest them! If you want to give me a recipe, great, if not I can look it up.

Thanks for the help guys :jess:

Shorty
07-01-2014, 05:59 PM
I made chicken tikka masala for the first time the other day and it was wonderful and so super easy. I just bought a spice packet from a section in the grocery store and swapped out the heavy cream for coconut milk. It also requires tomato sauce and onions, but you can probably forgo the onions. It's super easy!

Pumpkin
07-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks Shorty, I'll look that up! I like chicken!

noxious.sunshine
07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
You could attempt pork or chicken tamales with spicy salsa verde or mole sauce.. The individual components are relatively easy to make, it's the assembly that gets tedious and time consuming. And it takes practice to get it just right. But I've made them a couple of times before and they turned out pretty good for a non-Mexican n00b.

Also chicken mole verde. You just make a pot of really thin salsa verde (meaning extra water/chicken broth) , & pretty much just simmer chicken parts in it- typically drumsticks & thighs (or you could get a whole chicken and cut it up) until the salsa reduces back down to a salsa-ish consistency. After that, you can either serve it as is - ladled onto a plate with extra sauce on top, or you can pull the meat from the bones, shred it up,and add it back in and let it cook a bit longer.

Anywho, heat up some corn tortillas (since you like hard shell, you could just heat the corn tortillas over med/med low heat and let the tortilla get pretty crispy that way without using oil), and make tacos. Top em with chopped cilantro, queso fresco (no shredded cheese business, sorry), and squeeze a bit of lime on top.. You're golden.

Alternatively, you could use flour tortillas or get burrito sized ones and make delishious burritos.

http://mexicoinmykitchen.com is one of my fav blogs for excellent Mexican recipes. It's where I got the mole verde recipe from.

also

http://homesicktexan.com is another brilliant site, but it's focused more on Tex Mex fare with a sprinkling of authentic Mexican. The lady who runs it is transplanted in NYC from the South like me!

magemasher
07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Pork Belly is really good. Season it with Fennel seed, Cumin Seed (25% compared to fennel) salt and pepper. It cost £4 for the meat to feed 3 people it's so cheap but it tastes amazing. You can have it with anything which is the beauty of it. Parmentier potatoes would be my first choice. I've had it on a bed of lentils or mashed potato which were also great. If you want nice crackling then cook very high for the first 20 minutes.

This Ragu is amazing http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/italian/an-authentic-ragu-bolognese.html You won't taste the onion.