PDA

View Full Version : [FFX] Would you have preferred no voice acting?

Pike
07-02-2014, 12:54 AM
I've heard a few people (not necessarily on this site) who have said they would have liked this game more without voice acting.

What about you?

Colonel Angus
07-02-2014, 01:00 AM
That's a horrible idea. I actually love the voice acting.

Jessweeee♪
07-02-2014, 01:20 AM
No, but I like how in FFXIII they made English lip animations. A lot of the more awkwardly delivered lines in FFX were from trying to match the English voices to Japanese lip movements :p

Mirage
07-02-2014, 08:12 AM
I would not. I think it was for the most part all right, considering the sync issues they had to work within.

fat_moogle
07-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Voice acting was one of the reasons I was looking forward to FFX. To finally hear your characters speak was amazing. Without voice acting FFX would have been...odd.

leader of mortals
07-02-2014, 08:48 AM
To put myself back into my 10-ish year old self, and for the first time hearing the characters that I'm playing speak, I just have to say it was amazing. I always had my own voice for each character in my head, but to hear them, really hear them, as a kid, just owning a PS2, being a fan of Final Fantasy since 7, it was special. Sure, now the voice acting is cheesy and dated, but back then? Back then it was beautiful.

Big D
07-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Without voice acting, we wouldn't have got to listen to Lulu and Auron.
And the world would've been a poorer place for it.

Pike
07-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I am with you guys - I liked having the voice acting!

Alive-Cat
07-02-2014, 05:10 PM
I think the best thing would have been if actor Paul Reubens, (most notably portrayed Pee-wee Herman,) had voiced Tidus :greenie:

Shorty
07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
If there had been no voice acting, I might have enjoyed this game more.

Psychotic
07-02-2014, 05:17 PM
I think it added a lot, and it was actually jarring to me when I saw Shauna and Mr Shauna talking to NPCs who did not have voice acting.

metagloria
07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I forgot what a big deal this was, but you guys are right...at the time it was like "OMG THE CHARACTERS ARE GOING TO HAVE VOICES". No way would I ever want to go back from that.

And that was 2001. In 2014, there is no excuse for a game - any game - not to have a certain level of voice acting. Looking at you, Zelda series.

Pumpkin
07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
I liked the voice acting

magemasher
07-02-2014, 06:45 PM
With hindsight maybe I would of preferred it. FF having voice acting ruined quite a few RPG's for me, especially ps3 games that had no VA.

Sephex
07-03-2014, 05:08 AM
Years ago I might have said yes, but Square would be stupid not to incorporate voice acting at the point FFX came out. Plus, most of the voice acting was fine.

Mirage
07-03-2014, 10:42 AM
The only problems I have with voice acting is that it sometimes prevents you from naming important characters, and that development costs may rise and make it financially hard to justify sub quests and optional characters because you might spend money on something a significant portion of the players aren't going to experience. However, with the progress there has been in voice synthesising over the past years, this might not be an issue anymore after the current or next gen.

Important characters might get real voice actors, while minor characters all get synthesised voices to cut costs.

Aelitalily
07-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I liked all the voice acting except for Tidus.... I liked him a lot better with the sound off xD

Christmas
07-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Without voice acting, we can never listen to the sexy voices of the hypellos!! :bigsmile:

Mirage
07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Let mee shing yoo the shong of myy people?

Christmas
07-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Let mee shing yoo the shong of myy people?

It will be awesome if they give the Auron's look and say "This is my story" with their accent. ::bigsmile:

MJN SEIFER
07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure why, but I just feel that RPGs in general work better (and are strangely more alive to me) when they are not voiced. It just seems right to me, even though I most likely wouldn't have the same opinion for other games.

I would have at least liked an option to replace the voices with text so those who prefer it could have a choice (and no, turning the TV's sound off does not count) though I'm not saying I had a problem with the voices (though Yuna's Americanese accent was hard to take seriously at times).

Ergroilnin
07-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Nope I totally loved the voice acting and I never really understood people's problem with it (but I also never heard original japanese voices for long enough to compare...).

But as much as I love VA in FFX, I wouldn't add VA in older FFs like 9 etc. even if I could. I simply feel that games always work the best the way they are released and if it was simply a thing of switching VA on/off it would be weird.

jodymcdougle
07-23-2014, 07:36 PM
I liked the voice acting! I thought that tidus whined just a bit, and Wakka's island accent shouldn't have been nearly as thick, but other than that I really enjoyed it! it was the first time that I had played a game where the characters actually spoke for the majority of the game!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-24-2014, 09:42 AM
If I recall correctly, FFX came out at a time in gaming where voice acting was becoming more prevalent in new releases. If this game had no conversation between people, it might have been seen as "behind the times" in a way.

Dat Matt
07-24-2014, 08:59 PM
In our lets play, Kimarhi's voice acting is stealing the show.

(ps Kimarhi has not said a single word so far).

Ayen
07-25-2014, 08:25 AM
I can see the merit in it. Not having voices at all allows for you to imagine the voices in your head. They can never be bad because your imagination would go with something pleasing with you; this is why people were turned off by some of the voices in Advent Children since their imaginations would have filled the blanks already. I don't think it would have been a smart idea for Square to can voice acting given its relevance at the time. The voice acting never bothered me.

Loony BoB
07-25-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't think getting rid of the voice acting would have made me like it more. I think changing the voice actors or getting a better director for them would have made me like it more. I didn't like Yuna, Tidus or Seymour's voices at all, and they are probably the three most important voices in the game.

Kalevala
07-25-2014, 10:54 PM
I think BoB raises a good point. Even if you consider this game's particular voice acting detrimental, eliminating it altogether would not have been the proper solution. Let's not forget that voice acting in video games was still somewhat of a fresh feature in 2001. The voice acting in most games was pretty bad. Only by enduring the "master of unlocking"s and awkward laugh scenes could we get to the point we're at today. I can't fault Square for fumbling something they and the rest of the industry had little familiarity with. What I'd like to know is if it would have upset any of you had they changed the voice acting for the HD remake (a la Silent Hill).

Formalhaut
07-25-2014, 10:59 PM
The game would be weird without voice acting, personally. I do admit, Yuna's voice could be changed, or at least made stronger - it sounds like she's speaking air.

Ayen
07-25-2014, 11:14 PM
I never had a problem with any of their voices. They sound just fine. Yuna's problem was due to trying to sync with the lips or something involving the original Japanese voice actress. Either way she cleared that up by X-2.

RE was more a script issue than a voice acting issue, really.

Ergroilnin
07-25-2014, 11:33 PM
What I'd like to know is if it would have upset any of you had they changed the voice acting for the HD remake (a la Silent Hill).

While I don't have any problem with original VA, I also wouldn't mind few actors changed but only if they really tried.

ATM I'm playing Persona 4 Golden and I totally don't mind new voices of Chie and Teddie and to be honest I woudn't be even able to realize that they changed the acters uness I had the same part of game voiced by first and then again by second one.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Changing the voice acting would bother me, just because these are the voices I've gotten to know. Despite the crap the voice acting can get sometimes, I feel like it could have a backlash if the voices changed kind of like how they changed the music. I think the remastered music is fantastic, but a lot of people had the thought "But.... it was good how it was. Why did you do this?" Even if they kept all the same voice actors (like the 3DS remake of Star Fox 64), I'd still find myself irked about lines I remember being delivered differently.

As for if the game would be better with out voice acting.... no. Come the PS2, games without voice acting just feel out of place to me. I can't imagine the scenes without voices. However, you wouldn't have to deal with bad voice directing, and perhaps the script would have been improved without them worrying about the voices matching the mouths and whatnot.

Sefie1999AD
07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm totally fine with the concept of voice acting. It's just that the English dubbing could have been carried out in a much better way. The voices for Tidus, Yuna and Seymour sounded awful to me, while the voices for Auron and Rikku were a lot better, IMHO. For Square's first dubbing, the English version of FFX was a hit-and-miss. They improved the voice acting a lot in Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X-2, though.

Rin Heartilly
10-07-2014, 06:56 AM
I think Lulu, Rikku, Auron, Wakka and Kimahri's VA were great, Yuna's was alright and I didn't Tidus's voice either, I thought it actually suited him with the whineyness and all.

Taiga
10-07-2014, 11:50 AM
A game without voice acting? I can't even imagine anymore.
However, I can understand why people might not be too fond of the English voice acting of X - the Japanese one is better in my opinion. I think the English voice acting for Final Fantasy games is quite decent though, and that of X wasn't too bad.

Shiva95
10-07-2014, 01:34 PM
I really like this voice acting. It brings something really cool to the game.