PDA

View Full Version : What led you to this website?

Fonzie
07-02-2014, 04:21 AM
I very vaguely recall searching for FF8 info and stumbling upon this site for walkthrough help.

Pumpkin
07-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Bored waiting for a ride, had laptop, looked up Vivi stuff, found site, joined a few months later

Sephex
07-02-2014, 04:50 AM
edczxcvbnm was going around trolling various FF forums in 2000. He got banned from all of them for creating such riveting topics as "What do you think it is like to masturbate in outer space?" Anyway, I guess no one banned him her after I created a dumb topic and kept on posting and conversing with people over the (then) new Chrono Cross.

He used to email me threads and I read through them at work. I was heavy into Marilyn Manson back then and posted on the official Marilyn Manson BBS, which I had been doing for a couple of years by that point. I got bored of that place, so I decided to give this place a shot in early 2001. I had a couple of awkward first days because I was used to the more lax rules on the Manson forum (a mod closed a thread of mine for some reason and I made a thread addressing the mod, which was allowed on the Manson forum, for example).

I also joined under the name Sephex018 because I guess I felt I had to have numbers in my name. It makes a screen name seem more cool and authentic in those days. You were a serious internet person if you used numbers. Yeah.

Since then I posted here for months at a time with my biggest absences being around 2006-2010. Then since the beginning of 2012, I been sticking around ever since.

Sorry for those of you who seen me tell this story already.

Araciel
07-02-2014, 04:51 AM
Wanted to find out what mag-elem-null did in FF9.

Miss Mae
07-02-2014, 05:34 AM
Jiro did it. Blame him.

Shorty
07-02-2014, 05:46 AM
I had been frequenting #ffo for a couple of weeks or so and joined one night like I had been doing but I was immediately kick-banned for reasons that still escape me. I was all huffy and offended because I hadn't done anything to warrant a ban, so I searched for a new FF chat room to join. #eoff had the most users beside #ffo, so I figured why not.

Spending a night in #eoff until the wee hours of the morn' with the chat crew from 2001 (on September 11th before the attacks, that was weird) made me join this site. You nerds have been stuck with me in one way or another since.

Big D
07-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Around the end of 2002 - my first year with internet access, thanks to university - I was looking up my favourite games online, and found my way to the FFVIII forum. I learned a lot, and laughed even more, by reading through page after page of topics. Thus began several months of lurking, until I finally joined in early '03.

I've been a lot less regular since the mid-00s, but I still think of this place as my first online 'home'.

Pike
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I joined because Huxley joined and I had a wee crush on him so I wanted to follow him everywhere. :shobon: I recall him posting about it in his LJ or something so I hopped over and joined too!

At first I was kind of intimidated because even though I'd been on forums before this one was certainly the biggest so I lurked a lot and also spent many months where I didn't post but hung out in the chatroom instead. Eventually I started to post more, though :monster:

Bubba
07-02-2014, 11:38 AM
I very vaguely recall searching for FF8 info and stumbling upon this site for walkthrough help.

Pretty much this. I was looking for a few tips on sections of FFVIII. I mentioned in my introductory thread I had trouble defeating GF Cactuar. Carl the Llama (legend) made a huge post explaining how to do it and I was hooked.

I've only had a small hiatus but I've stuck around because you are all bat trout insane and I love it.

Christmas
07-02-2014, 03:11 PM
The bread crumbs on the ground. :bigsmile:

StarCross1988
07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
I was reminiscing about an old forum I used to be a part of that is now very dead, and I searched on google to see if there was any forums communities around. I first searched for video game forums, but didn't like the results. It was mostly like big sites like Gamespot and IGN, and I was never interested in neoGAF. Just the format of how everything is there doesn't appeal to me. So I searched for final fantasy forums, and out of the top results for it this one is the one that looked the most active.

blackmage_nuke
07-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Probably found it during a Yahoo search for FF info. This one had the funniest forum of all the sites I visited.

Alive-Cat
07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
To this day, I actually have no idea. I remember nothing :(

Shauna
07-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I... don't remember. I signed up for a lot of fora when I was in my early teens. The allure of the internet.

Stuck around here though. Aren't you all so lucky?

KentaRawr!
07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
An intense desire to share my thoughts on every stupid little thing that came to my mind. :jess:

Honestly though, probably FF info. I remember referencing the FF1 teams guide a few times.

Formalhaut
07-02-2014, 06:34 PM
I feel bad for saying but I haven't the foggiest. Really I don't. Still, I'm here now though, right!

The Man
07-02-2014, 07:52 PM
I did a search for something and found the place. I couldn't tell you what I was searching for now because it was more than twelve years ago. I also lurked for a few weeks before joining because I had never been a member of a message board before.

Alive-Cat
07-02-2014, 07:59 PM
I have been racking my brain really loads and it is 99% likely the FFVII walkthrough is how I found this website! Why I joined, well, I don't know! Maybe I knew even then I would grow to love you all like brothers and sisters forever xxxxxxxx

Scotty_ffgamer
07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
This site would pop up every once in a while when I'd search FF stuff on days that I was bored. The only time I remember was when I was looking up various theories like Squall is Dead or Rinoa = Ultimecia and I ended up reading a discussion on here about one or both of those. The only member I really remember from reading that stuff was Future Esthar. The posts were pretty outlandish but interesting. I ended up lurking on the forums a bit after that time for a little bit, and then joined. I hardly ever posted for like 2 years or something. I'm not really sure what got me posting more. I think it's just everyone seemed so nice and pretty funny.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-02-2014, 10:36 PM
I used to poke around websites for Final Fantasy and whatnot.

There was an old FF8 fan page that I think was called "Loving FF", and I think it may have been the one to lead me here way back when. I know I joined on some old version of this site, my membership died or something along those lines, and then I rejoined whenever my join date says I did.

Alive-Cat
07-02-2014, 11:03 PM
In fact, when I joined I didn't really know what a forum was, so I don't think I was even completely sure what I was signing up for at first :greenie:

o_O
07-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Sakura Yume and Jewels forced me to join back in 2001. I also didn't really understand what a forum was at that time, and when I tried to sign up it turned out I'd signed up for an eyesonff.com email address and not the forums at all. Since then, Loony BoB has used varying degrees of force/blackmail/bribery to forbid me from leaving.

Fonzie
07-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Sakura Yume and Jewels forced me to join back in 2001. I also didn't really understand what a forum was at that time, and when I tried to sign up it turned out I'd signed up for an eyesonff.com email address and not the forums at all. Since then, Loony BoB has used varying degrees of force/blackmail/bribery to forbid me from leaving.

War is hell, my friend.

Freya
07-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I bought IX and wanted some help with chocographs. And look where we are now!

escobert
07-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Pretty sure it was ff8 info. which is why I protest to 2001 being my join date. I got FF8 when it first came out. I was looking up info during my first playthorugh. That would have been 1999 not 2001. I got in trouble at home and was not allowed to use the computer until my grades were better so, I was gone when the site switched off ezboard and was not able to get back on until later on thus giving me this damn 2001 join date.

Christmas
07-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Are your grades better now? :bigsmile:

Or else no EoFF for you. :mymelbert:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Well, I had been going to the front site for help for years whenever I got stuck in a FF game or needed help with chocobos or something. And then I started playing Chrono Cross. And I went to that section.

And then I realized there were forums. And I was like, hey, I should join those.

And here I am.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-06-2014, 08:36 AM
I found EoFF through a website created by a person named Kara Cat. Or Kara Kat, I can't remember. A really old site, hosted by the now ancient Angelfire domain (I think). I think I was looking for quizzes like "which character are you like?" and I stumbled across her site. She had a variety of interests, from The Slayers anime, to Samurai Pizza Cats, to...EoFF? What's this? It was love from there on out. I clicked on the link and was fascinated by all the info on the front site. The only other site I'd really looked to for FF info at the time was FFOnline, but I guess this is the site that ended up sticking out to me.

I lurked the front site for a year or two before I decided to join the forums, reading up on FF8 Character bios and stuff like that. I wish I remembered the URL to Kara's site. She had a huge paragraph talking about EoFF, I don't know if she was a member here. But it'd be nice to see that old page and it frustrates me that I can't seem to find it. I'm not sure what actually led me to join the forums, but I'm glad I did.

Parker
07-06-2014, 10:25 AM
I don't remember but I know around that time I joined a load of forums related to my various interests so I imagine I just searched for Final Fantasy Forum or something

Alive-Cat
07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I wish Loony BoB had come to my house when I was a child like in Harry Potter or X-Men and told me that I'd been chosen to join EoFF :(

escobert
07-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Are your grades better now? :bigsmile:

Or else no EoFF for you. :mymelbert:

yes much better :bigsmile:!

Venom65437
07-06-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't remember exactly. I know I found it well before I ever made a name here. It was some random Final Fantasy search back in the days of the internet where a site like this would come up right away as opposed to a million wikis, reviews, shop links, etc.

Colonel Angus
07-06-2014, 06:41 PM
I had this site bookmarked for a few years. I don't remember what I was searching for when I found it, probably something for Tactics.

This year I decided to join, as I was in the mood for some FF chatter.

Mahad
07-06-2014, 08:29 PM
When I think online forums, I think final fantasy. So I looked online for FF forums, and this one of the ones that showed up. The community looked friendly and the place is active. So here I am.

Ayen
07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
I googled Final Fantasy forums and found it third in the listings.

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I wish Loony BoB had come to my house when I was a child like in Harry Potter or X-Men and told me that I'd been chosen to join EoFF :(

Instead of getting an owl with a letter, you get a moogle with a Mognet message!

Pheesh
07-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Needed a full synthesis guide for KH I believe, I just used to use the frontsite and then I just joined the forum for some reason. Can't remember if it was to ask a question or just on a whim. I never made a newbie thread though, and didn't post in the general forums for quite a while.

Vyk
08-24-2014, 04:06 PM
I guess I've had this thread open in my tabs for a month or so and finally get around to replying in it. Resurrection time!

Anyway. I had just become disenchanted with my previous internet "home". Not that I was ever really enchanted in the first place. I had just migrated there out of desperation when my first real internet home on Napster died. It was a Shining Force forum. Favored JRPG series at the time. But they were extremely strict and ridiculous. Every newbie was required to make a newbie thread and introduce themselves. They were far from welcoming to newbies, otherwise. They had their clique, and everyone else felt left out. The turn-over rate was ridiculous. And above all, you could get banned for mentioning Final Fantasy too many times. It was "The Series That Shall Not Be Named". So ridiculous

So I was honestly on the prowl for a new home most of the time, and I probably joined out of spite. How I actually found the place, I really have no idea anymore. I'm thinking I found it through the front site. I wasn't pro-actively looking for other forums. I think I was researching weird things regarding FFVI or VII. Either Gogo's identity, or if anyone ever managed to resurrect Aeris, stuff like that. I knew they were all bull, but it was interesting to read theories and whatnot

I remember when I joined I immediately jumped into a topic about Terra or something. I never made a newbie thread here either. Can't get in trouble for that here. And I can mention any game I damn well please. Not to mention, this place is hugely welcoming to newbies. So much so that I never felt like a newbie. I just flowed in and became one with the site no problem

chionos
08-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Well, since it's already zombied...

I don't really remember. I lurked for a while early in 2000. I don't remember if I got into chat right away then, but once I did, that's what sucked me in. Convos with BoB and Wishing Star and Bossker and Chickencha and Scottie et multis al. Good times. I didn't get active in the forums until late 2000 probably. I've been off and on over the years, but never again!:cool:

Forsaken Lover
08-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I have absolutely no idea. My best bet is I just searched "Final Fantasy Forums" in Google and found it. I did that for several other forums back in the day. I posted on a ton of different FF boards.

arenzi
08-25-2014, 12:42 AM
I think I searched for either FF8 or just FF in general found this forum.

LocoColt04
08-25-2014, 01:51 AM
What "led" me here like over a decade ago was when our sites were affiliated.

What forced me to join against my will was Freya and Shorty badger badger badgering me until I caved. And then they didn't return the favor because they are mean people.

Nate
08-25-2014, 02:27 AM
I searched for FF8 and Final Fantasy. I led me here. I think I used Yahoo to search.

chionos
08-25-2014, 02:58 AM
So many people came here because of FF8. That's very interesting.

Shorty
08-25-2014, 03:05 AM
Oh, I'm here because of FFVIII as well.

noxious.sunshine
08-25-2014, 03:10 AM
TFF was really slow back then and got kinda boring, so I searched for other FF forums to poast on.

The Man
08-25-2014, 03:26 AM
So many people came here because of FF8. That's very interesting.I think FFVIII may have brought so many people here because the forum is named after an FFVIII track. It doesn't really surprise me.

Vyk
08-25-2014, 03:32 AM
It may also speak to how battrout the plot to VIII was in that so many people had to do research on it and wound up finding this battrout place instead xD Yes, I'm being facetious

~*~Celes~*~
08-25-2014, 04:26 AM
I can't remember specifically, but it might have been final fantasy info. I've been here 9 years though, isn't that shocking? :o

Shiny
08-27-2014, 08:25 AM
An evil, sexy gnome.

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/sexy-gnome_o_425969.jpg

deepdoop
08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Trying to find a good forum... couldn't.

Typed in "Final Fantasy forum" or something because I know there are a bunch of them, joined like 4, only post on this one.

AssassinDX
08-27-2014, 06:47 PM
ToriJ invited me here, we've both posted on a variety of forums over the past few years together so as a fellow Final Fantasy fan he figured I'd like it here, which of course I do.

escobert
08-27-2014, 10:54 PM
I had never used a forum when I came here. I was a wee lad of 13 with America Online :)

fat_moogle
08-28-2014, 12:50 AM
http://home.eyesonff.com/member.php/36506-JinxJinx introduced me to the forums :)

Ayen
08-28-2014, 01:44 AM
ToriJ invited me here, we've both posted on a variety of forums over the past few years together so as a fellow Final Fantasy fan he figured I'd like it here, which of course I do.

He's the only friend I haven't misplaced. I don't know where the others went :shifty:

DMKA
08-28-2014, 04:13 AM
I had just discovered what "emulation" was and was looking for a rom file of Final Fantasy III(VI) and it led me to the front page. Then I lurked around the forums and saw funny people posting funny things and decided I wanted to get in on their wacky game. Then I fell in love with ff babe.

edczxcvbnm
08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
I have absolutely no idea. While what Justin said is partially true (I did that to a couple of boards), this place was different. I discovered this place in my book marks when I clicked on said book mark, I was logged in. I have no idea why I joined or why I didn't do whatever I did to get banned in those days (although I rode the edge here forever). My only guess is that I was searching for someplace to talk about some Chrono Cross as I am a huge fan.

I was fairly active from 2000-2008. Now I kind of pop back up every now and then for a bit. This place is still awesome.