PDA

View Full Version : The Big Fat Aeris Spoiler

Pike
07-02-2014, 05:25 PM
So the first time you played the game, what was your reaction upon Aeris' death? Had you been spoiled beforehand? Were you shocked? Did you not care much?

Pumpkin
07-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I saw it happen when my mom played. My reaction when I played? "Oh my gosh I hope I get that materia back that I had equipped on her"

VeloZer0
07-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I already knew it was coming, and I didn't like her character all that much so it didn't really have that much of an effect on me. As I got older I have gained a greater appreciation for the scene.

Psychotic
07-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I think I knew it was going to happen? I didn't really care if I'm honest.

The Man
07-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I had been spoiled, so my reaction was a bit muted.

StarCross1988
07-02-2014, 11:11 PM
A friend of the family knew I liked video games and bought me the strategy guide for it not knowing I didn't own the game. I just read it like a book normally, why not? I was only like 10 lol. So yeah, I knew it was going to happen, and I didn't care much for her character in that game anyways.

Christmas
07-03-2014, 12:09 AM
I was devastated. How I wish we could just eat her and gains her limit breaks. :(

Mirage
07-03-2014, 12:13 AM
I saw the scene on the PS1 the first time I tried the game at a friend's place. He was stuck on a boss and I killed it for him and then bam.

Coincidencially, the next time I visited him he was stuck at the turks in midgar and I cut those dicks up too without really knowing the game. I must be a RPG natural.

Sephex
07-03-2014, 03:09 AM
I didn't go crazy emotional or anything, but I definitely was shocked that they had the balls to kill off the cute character. It did make me want to pay back Sephiroth for sure, as well.

Rez09
07-03-2014, 05:47 AM
I don't remember my reaction now, but Aeris is a party staple for me (dat hyper+cover+fury brand abuse), so I imagine I was less than pleased.

leader of mortals
07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
At the time, I never really liked Aeris, just because she did the least damage. I never put time into using her, so I didn't care that she died. It really wasn't until I played Crisis Core that I gained an appreciation for Aeris as a character.

Loony BoB
07-04-2014, 01:49 PM
I did not have it spoiled for me, but I was happy it happened because I really didn't like her character. I liked her much more in Crisis Core.

Parker
07-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I am pretty sure I was spoiled, I don't remember my reaction really.

MJN SEIFER
07-05-2014, 02:20 AM
I didn't know she was going to die, and I was saddened by it. I tend to get very emotional if I am attached to the character, which I was. I know I seem to be the only one here who did, but that's just who I am. I genuinely cried during that scene.

It's actually strange I didn't realize she'd die though, as the second walkthrough I read actually described the scene, pretty much in full detail (though it didn't say "she dies" so it didn't click I guess).

Shiva95
07-05-2014, 03:48 AM
I was spoiled some days before her death happened and I was a little bit sad. But I think she's a better character in Crisis Core.

Big D
07-05-2014, 06:37 AM
It was spoiled for me, by a friend who claimed "don't bother levelling up 'Aries' because she dies." This guy hadn't got that far himself yet, but had been told by another friend.

I took it onboard, but figured the game would give me the potential to affect the outcome in some way.

When the scene finally came, it wasn't a huge surprise but it still hit me really hard, emotionally. I was quite attached to her as a character, and I was heavily invested in the game as a whole. I was 16, and it was the first big plot-driven RPG I'd every played - it was hard not to feel for this fictional heroine whose story I had shared for well over 30 hours.

Ayen
07-19-2014, 06:09 AM
I was spoiled so it didn't hit me as hard as it may have otherwise. I liked the character too and it still didn't hit me that hard, but to be fair it's hard for games to get sad emotions out of me. Only a few have managed to do it in the 20 years I've been playing video games.

MissH
07-27-2014, 11:00 PM
What the hell,man?!!! I just played this part this morning. I know I'm 17 years late to the party, but Aeris was my favourite :-( I really liked her! After she died and I had to do that stupid boss fight- which I had to use 2 Phoenix downs on because life had become not worth living, I promptly threw the vita across the bed to Bubba in utter disgust.

I mean what the hell?! :cry:

Jessweeee♪
07-28-2014, 12:44 AM
I was spoiled. I was late to the party and people on EoFF spoiled it for me you jerks :nonono:

Formalhaut
07-28-2014, 12:51 AM
What the hell,man?!!! I just played this part this morning. I know I'm 17 years late to the party, but Aeris was my favourite :-( I really liked her! After she died and I had to do that stupid boss fight- which I had to use 2 Phoenix downs on because life had become not worth living, I promptly threw the vita across the bed to Bubba in utter disgust.

I imagine this is the reaction the developers wanted out of people! :D

I played FFVII late due to my age, so I knew that she'd die. Having said that, it still affected me somewhat, and made me pretty sad.

arenzi
07-28-2014, 03:12 PM
I didn't feel like she was around long enough for me to care so I was kind of indifferent about her. So my reaction was kind of like "Oh...okay then."

Dat Matt
07-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I played the game about 10 years after it was released. So I knew pretty much everything about the game before I started.

Levon
07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
I think it's comparable to what was the big Darth Vader reveal long ago. It has just lost impact over time and is not even considered a spoiler today, due to mainstream popularity.
Everyone knows Darth Vader is Lukes father, and virtually every gamer knows "Aeris dies".

Kinda sucks, but that's the cost of mainstream popularity I guess...

botnslave
08-01-2014, 02:13 AM
I didn't know, that first play through was a odyssey. I remember being quite surprised, and a renewed hatred of Sephiroth.

Spooniest
08-01-2014, 02:25 AM
I didn't know. I remember distinctly feeling my eyes burn when Cloud says his eyes are burning.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Unfortunately, I knew. I wish I didn't, because I feel that it would have been utterly amazing to witness for the first time.

DMKA
08-02-2014, 04:59 AM
Aww, I thought this was going to be about some secret fat version of Aeris someone found in one of the games.

Yeah, I had a friend at school who watched his cousin play though FFVII before I ever got it, and when I got it and was playing through it I talked to him about it at school. He asked what part I was at and I was like "I just got that girl in the pink dress with the staff" and he was like "Oh the flower girl in the church? YEAH SHE DIES!"

I think the scene still did it's job adequately and the story wasn't diminished for me in the slightest. That FMV was the most freaking awesome cgi 13 year old me had ever seen and it had Sephiroth and it was totally awesome. :p

Edge7
08-02-2014, 07:07 AM
I remember seeing a flash parody that spoiled Aerith's death (I had only played X, but watched parodies of the series online to see what the other games were like). I didn't believe it at first, but when I looked it up, I was stunned.

Anyway, when I actually got my hands on the game, I knew she was going to die, but when it actually happened, I could tell the game was going to take a dark turn.

Uchu
08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
I had already seen the death scene at a friends house and so when it came to my play through it didn't really have much of an impact, which is a shame cause it would have been nice to have one of the most important/memorable scenes of the game be a surprise.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2014, 10:31 PM
The commercials for the game made it seem obvious she got killed so I wasn't exactly shocked or devastated by her death, it wasn't helped that there has been a death of a player character in every FF since FFII so its not like I wasn't waiting for it either.

With that said, despite the creative license with physics and the bad attempt at keeping the scene PG, I still found the scene to be well done. It is easily my favorite CGI scene from the game.

Carl the Llama
08-05-2014, 08:00 AM

She is also my favourite character in VII (which is also my favourite game lol) I still use here at every chance I get.

I don't like to take her on the date though, I normally go for Tifa due to the extra scene near the end, but in my most recent playthrough I got the Barret date. Anyways I challenge anyone to prove to me that she is weak in battle, I can come up with an answer to all of your battle related statements. :p

Bubba
08-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Anyways I challenge anyone to prove to me that she is weak in battle, I can come up with an answer to all of your battle related statements. :p

She is ace in battle. Once you steal the Striking Staff from Eligor she becomes bad ass. I also loved using her as my dedicated healer. Her limit breaks were awesome.

My last play through I got her Great Gospel and the first time she had chance to use it was in her last fight against Demon Wall. It was perfect.

Carl the Llama
08-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Anyways I challenge anyone to prove to me that she is weak in battle, I can come up with an answer to all of your battle related statements. :p

She is ace in battle. Once you steal the Striking Staff from Eligor she becomes bad ass. I also loved using her as my dedicated healer. Her limit breaks were awesome.

My last play through I got her Great Gospel and the first time she had chance to use it was in her last fight against Demon Wall. It was perfect.

Hey hey hey! You gotta give them a chance to argue before we prove them wrong, now you've said this I doubt anyone will bother to argue :/

SILLY BUBBA!