PDA

View Full Version : Watching/Reading games

Pumpkin
07-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Does anyone else do this? If I absolutely hate the gameplay for a certain game, or suck at it, I'll either read the script or I'll watch someone else play it on the youtubes. The problem with the watching is that people talk and I don't want them to, but I can just mute it if I need to.

Anyone else do this or do you just tough it out? Do you watch or read games if you don't own them and can't afford/find them?

chionos
07-03-2014, 07:57 PM
I'll usually tough it out if the game's gameplay doesn't quite stack up with its story. I'm usually just there for the story anyway.

The Man
07-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I watch even games whose gameplay I enjoy sometimes. A lot of this has to do with simply not having time to play through them myself all the time, but some of it has to do with the fact that other people's gameplay can be a lot more entertaining than mine, especially if they're doing something like a tool-assisted speedrun.

Rez09
07-04-2014, 10:25 AM
I watch a LOT of adventure games being run. They are effectively interactive books and when I play them I never use guides so they take me forever, which makes watching people that know what they are doing is really enjoyable because I get the story in a timely manner. It's also nice when the people playing have knowledgeable commentary about the games and understand the nods made to other titles by the developers.

I also watch RPGs and Strategy games being run, but usually it's for a different reason. Instead of wanting to see the story of the game, I have often completed the game already and am curious to see what I may have missed or alternate ways of doing things. This is why speedruns of RPGs end up interesting to me, as runners are often low level and lean heavily on certain powerful strategies I never knew about. Really, who the hell uses a poison rod with the 'throw' command? >: o

Psychotic
07-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I love to watch people play games and I think their commentary is usually a great addition. Well, it depends who the commentator is.

Depression Moon
07-04-2014, 05:10 PM
The only time I watch gameplay of a game is a preview or I'll go look up a walkthrough on Youtube if I'm stuck at a particular place.

Ah, I forgot I used to watch tournaments too. Never read a game though.

Christmas
07-04-2014, 05:15 PM
I just read everything about FF XIII and World of Warcraft from wikia. I am interested but do not want to dedicate the effort or the money to play them. So reading is pretty well an alternative for my lazy style of life. :bigsmile:

escobert
07-04-2014, 11:12 PM
I've been watching Mr. Moon Atlis life videos latley. I can't wait to get arma 3 :p

Big D
07-04-2014, 11:30 PM
My wife plays a lot fewer games than I do, but she'll watch me playing the story-heavy ones for enjoyment. All the drama and entertainment, with none of the button-mashing. Plus it means she can craft or knit or do basically anything while still following what I'm doing on-screen.

Also, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 get that much more entertaining when you're treated to an OTT rendition of 'My Heart Will Go On' everytime Rose and Jack are being whiny and melodramatic at each other.

Pike
07-04-2014, 11:44 PM
I do greatly enjoy watching games (especially speedruns) and reading Let's Plays; overall I prefer to play them though! :jess:

Madame Adequate
07-05-2014, 04:51 PM
I like watching and love reading LPs, especially ones with an interesting gimmick or for games I've still got a lot to learn about.

Jess
07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I actually got into games because I used to spend hours watching my Dad playing games as a kid and it used to be fun! I often watch my boyfriend play, too. I probably watch him play more than I play myself. :jess:

Ayen
07-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Not really. I have a hard time sitting down for long periods of time to watch a video online that isn't Game of Thrones or Doctor Who related. If I hate the gameplay I'm not likely to watch a video about it anyway.

Mirage
07-06-2014, 09:33 PM
No, I do not. If the story is good but the gameplay is bad, i just forget about the game and move on to something else. Usually, if the gameplay is bad enough to make me not want to finish it, I won't play it play for long enough to get very involved in the story anyway.

Karifean
07-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Well I read a lot of visual novels, if that counts.

Other than that, I mostly just watch Let's Plays of games I've already played, or do not plan on playing. I haven't yet watched a Let's Play with the purpose of replacing the actual playing.

Mo-Nercy
07-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I enjoy watching speedruns and challenges, but otherwise I won't usually give up the opportunity to actively play a game myself, even if I suck at it. I'd rather turn the difficultly down and cruise through it rather than not have the experience of playing it.
A ex-girlfriend of mine used to watch me play the Fatal Frame series because whenever she played it herself, she'd freak out and die whenever something popped out. So I guess I kind of made it a film-like experience for her. She also watched me play Catherine, but I think that was more to guide me into make the 'right' choices.

Quindiana Jones
07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
If I don't like something, I just don't engage with it. But I really enjoy some LPs and reading about games. Dark Souls has some amazing LPs that I never tire of; ObtuseLolcat in particular.

Pumpkin
07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I get really invested in story and characters but I just suck at some games, even when they're set on easy. If I just can't get through it, but I want to know what happens, I'll watch or read it.

Or games like Xenogears that has an excellent story but the gameplay just kinda makes me eehhhheheh