PDA

View Full Version : Ability to see the first post of a thread without clicking on it.

Rirse
03-13-2002, 05:07 PM
I'm talking about a feature that allows you to see the first post in a thread without entering it. Because over at the Home Theater Forum, their VBB has a feature that allows you to see the first post in a thread by hoving the mouse cursor over the link to the thread. So in case if the thread is interesting to you then you could enter it. I bet it would be nice idea for members to use, incase it a good sounding thread, but inside the first post seems a little messy you can avoid back clicking and loading up the board again, or a thread title isn't to good, but want to see if the first post made more sense, then use this and check it out. Incase you need to see this, go to www.hometheaterforum.com (not a plug, just the only place I know that has this).

I doubt adding this would make anymore lags, and it loads up fast there so it would help out the site here better. Just incase you like to know that. ^^

crono_logical
03-13-2002, 07:16 PM
That sounds like an interesting idea, and I wouldn't mind it whilst I'm at uni. anyway. But when I'm at home, I certainly don't want that feature, seeing as some of these pages weigh in at close to 100k (and that's just the HTML for starters, no images :p ), and take ages to load on a 56k modem, I wouldn't want any more lags than I have to on a modem :p If it get's implemented, I think we should get the choice of whether it's enabled on our account or not in the options somewhere, and it should be disabled if you're not logged in. :)

Rirse
03-13-2002, 08:22 PM
That would be good, CL. If your not log in, then it disable, but have opition to turn it off incase of lag. So how about it, Britt or the other still active adminstors?

Endless
03-13-2002, 09:24 PM
Rirse, I went there, and it didn't work for me. Is it a member only thing?

Also I checked vbb's admin panel (v 2.2.3) and it's not a basic feature. It requires a hack, I'm pretty sure.

Rirse
03-14-2002, 11:16 AM
I think it does work for register members only, since it wouldn't work at the school computer(never logged in there), so it probably applys to that. I will talk to Ron on how he did this hack, because it would be pretty useful.

Lady Luck
03-26-2002, 09:45 AM
That sounds like a great idea. We should try and get that.