PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Xillia

Pumpkin
07-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Just got this today and played about an hour! I'm not very good with the arts and remembering which ability is assigned where. Seems like a fun day so far. I'm looking forward to seeing one of the characters I saw in the opening. Red dress girl at the beginning was kinda random o_O?

Any tips or advice for me? Or any general discussion can also go here!

The only other tales game I've played is Symphonia but not for very long at all.

Vyk
07-05-2014, 03:41 AM
I played Destiny and Symphonia, and never beat either of them. They were really good, but just failed to keep my interest. My girlfriend and I played through Xillia and even after beating it, I couldn't get enough. I'm super glad a sequel is almost here. The fighting is much faster than the other games. And the characters are well made, they make dumb decisions and whatnot, and you get a sense of why they do it. It's more real and fleshed out than most Japanese characters, especially in JRPGs

There's not really a lot to say "Watch out for this", because the game isn't super challenging. I found it to be just right, the whole time. We died maybe twice, on a couple boss battles, but otherwise, we always seemed to have the means to get done what we needed. It helps that there's like 3 healer characters, and the A.I. isn't terrible. And you can switch out on the fly, almost (but not quite) like FFX in case someone is being dumb in a certain battle

Rez09
07-05-2014, 05:33 PM
All I can recommend is that as soon as you can make use of link techs, do so; they are powerful and cannot be interrupted. When I first played I conserved the meter for bosses, but it charges VERY quickly, so just use it whenever you can.

Also, link yourself to beneficial partners whenever possible. Jude heals you when you get knocked down, Millia stuns enemies you stagger, and later members can break enemy guards, automatically block spells for you, steal for you, and drain hp/mp from enemies. These effects are generally valuable, especially the spell shield, since they occur without you needing to do anything.

Shauna
07-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Matt and I are playing Xillia just now. We are having a blast. :D

metagloria
07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
I've played Vesperia and Graces f and loved both. Really looking forward to getting around to Xillia.

Rez09
07-05-2014, 05:49 PM
It's really good. :)

Mirage
07-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Xillia is great. If you think it's too easy, you can always just increase the difficulty.

Dat Matt
07-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Matt and I are playing Xillia just now. We are having a blast. :D

By blast she means She is playing as Millia linked with Leia nuking things from orbit while I sit in the back row as elize healing where is required, and negitive gating anything that moves.

Mirage
07-05-2014, 07:06 PM
NEGATIVE GATE!!!

Many of elize's moves look like they are made of pure evil.

AssassinDX
07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Vesperia is my favourite game of the last console generation, I'm currently playing through Graces f and sadly not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. I'll get Xillia and 2 one day I'm sure, but all the while I'm slogging through Graces I'm happy to wait.

metagloria
07-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Vesperia is my favourite game of the last console generation, I'm currently playing through Graces f and sadly not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. I'll get Xillia and 2 one day I'm sure, but all the while I'm slogging through Graces I'm happy to wait.

Wow, that's wild. I liked them both about equally, but preferred the characters and story of Graces more. Not sure how you could love one and not like the other. Diff'rent strokes...

AssassinDX
07-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Not sure how you could love one and not like the other.

The story of Graces drags (particularly the childhood phase) and I find it generally dull and a chore to play through at times. I dislike nearly all the characters, Asbel's clichéd character in particular irritates me and the rest aren't much better. He's not a strong lead like Yuri is in Vesperia and has a poor voice actor. Most characters do, and the overall sound and music throughout the game is largely uninteresting.

In my opinion the only thing Graces does better than Vesperia is regarding the battle system, but that simply improves on excellent mechanics anyway.

NeoCracker
07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I could never get into Tales. They aren't bad games by any stretch, but asside from Destiny, something about them just refuses to hold my interest.

Pumpkin
07-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Here's a question for Tales fans. If I like Xillia, what other Tales game would you recommend. How about if I don't like it?

Rez09
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
It depends on what you like or dislike about it.

I don't like the CC/AC system the game uses that much, but other notable titles in the series that use it are Tales of Hearts and the Tales of Destiny remake on the PS2. Notable titles that don't use this system are Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Vesperia.

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia are probably good games to look at if you enjoyed Xillia.

fat_moogle
07-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I bought this game a few days ago from PSN as it's on offer for £7.99 until 17th July.

I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f (my first game I've played in the Tales of series) which I also bought from PSN in April, but just got around to playing it as I needed to complete Child of Light. I'm really enjoying it.

I look forward to getting around to Xillla once I'm done with Graces f, but I'm only around 10 hours in so might be a while before I play Xillia!

metagloria
07-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Not sure how you could love one and not like the other.

The story of Graces drags (particularly the childhood phase) and I find it generally dull and a chore to play through at times. I dislike nearly all the characters, Asbel's clichéd character in particular irritates me and the rest aren't much better. He's not a strong lead like Yuri is in Vesperia and has a poor voice actor. Most characters do, and the overall sound and music throughout the game is largely uninteresting.

In my opinion the only thing Graces does better than Vesperia is regarding the battle system, but that simply improves on excellent mechanics anyway.

Yeah I didn't really favor one battle system over the other. I agreed that Yuri was lightyears better than Asbel - one of the better protagonists I've played, really - but I could do without Karol, Flynn, Raven, and Repede, and Judith and Estelle weren't much to write home about either. In contrast, I loved Sophie and Pascal, liked Cheria and Malik, and even Hubert was interesting.

Mirage
07-07-2014, 11:59 PM
i actually don't like pascal but then i also like her. it seems like they tried to make a character type that they didn't actually know how to make.

I think graces has a better balanced combat system than xillia, but i like xillia better overall.

Pumpkin
07-17-2014, 05:19 AM
I just got Elize and she is the most precious thing :omgomg:

When we left the village and she waved by and they just ignored her, I cried. I seriously cried ;__;

Why can't I use her in battle :nonono:

Rez09
07-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Go, Teepo!

She'll be playable shortly.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Tales of Xillia is fantastic. I played through it earlier this year and was hooked with the characters and the story. I can't wait for the release of Xillia 2 next month. I won't be able to put it down.

The collector's editions of these games always cost a pretty penny but there's so much great content inside. I bought the collectors edition for Symphonia HD on the PS3 and it came with things like an alternative game case, a multi-disc soundtrack, chibi figurines, a novel, artwork and dlc. From what I know of the Xillia collector's edition it comes with a Milla statue. Very cool.

Shion, you should play Tales of Graces f. That's probably my favorite Tales game.

Pumpkin
07-18-2014, 04:38 PM
So far my favourite character is Elize, but in battle my favourite is Leia. I'm really not the greatest with the battle system and she's easier to use and quick, which I like

Dat Matt
07-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Xillia is different from the other games, as are most of them.

I've just taken to linking Rowen to Elise. I'm controlling his arts while using elise as my main player with her arts. Negitive gate/Tidal wave keeps everything in place while shauna controls Milia/Leia to nuke things from orbit.

It's pretty swell. All this time i've been linking with characters and they just sit motionless while I'm on the backlines. Not anymore.

Vyk
07-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Sit motionless? Did you turn off their a.i.? Everyone was very active in my game, and only too happy to chain moves together and whatnot without me having to force anything. Not the greatest a.i. by any means, but certainly more than competent in most regards

Shauna
07-21-2014, 10:36 AM
With Elize standing on the backlines spamming magic, they don't do very much when they're linked. I play as Milla and when I'm linked with someone they do a lot, but I imagine that's because I'm in the midsts of battle hackin' and slashin'.

Mirage
07-21-2014, 10:54 AM
I can't be sure because it's been a while since i played, but that sounds like some AI settings that are a bit dumb. I don't remember the game doing that to me. I guess you could also just turn off automatic linking for her. You can also break her link manually during combat by stealing her link partner and then switching back to your normal partner right away.

Pumpkin
07-22-2014, 02:08 AM
I just got to Kanbalar. Anyone know how far along in the game I am?

Mirage
07-22-2014, 02:18 AM
that's the china place, right? right after tibet?

You're somewhere around halfway maybe, can't remember if you're a bit before he halfway point or a bit past it.

Pumpkin
07-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Umm its the snowy place after the place with the doctor and the coliseum

Mirage
07-22-2014, 02:26 AM
yeah thats china

Vyk
07-22-2014, 04:01 AM
I'd say you're on the downward slope, unless you were saving a lot of side quests for late-game. But it's still a long way to go. I will say things are about to get crazy, so maybe it just seemed quick

And I mained as Milla myself, so maybe that had something to do with how I perceived the AI settings. Things were always really frenetic

Pumpkin
07-22-2014, 04:02 AM
I use Leia mostly teamed with Elize and the A.I. has been good. Jude and Rowen usually link together and send some huge earth fist up at the enemies so no complaints there

Milla and Alvin both fussed at me for not using them :(

Mirage
07-22-2014, 04:07 AM
they all do that if you don't use them :p

amusing isn't it?

Pumpkin
07-22-2014, 04:08 AM
No :nonono:

Don't need mah game characters guilt trippin me :colbert:

Shauna
07-22-2014, 03:43 PM
And I mained as Milla myself, so maybe that had something to do with how I perceived the AI settings. Things were always really frenetic

Mr Shauna and I are playing together so we both tend to take an AI to link with - with him on the back lines as Elize his AI link doesn't do much, while I also main as Milla so things are all sorts of hectic in my corner of the battlefield.

Dat Matt
07-24-2014, 08:38 PM

Mr Shauna and I are playing together so we both tend to take an AI to link with - with him on the back lines as Elize his AI link doesn't do much, while I also main as Milla so things are all sorts of hectic in my corner of the battlefield.

I would link with jude whenever I needed to heal, and then unlink because I sit at the oposite end of the battlefield from the enemies spamming magic. All the AI partners are there to join in the fight with nearby enemies or protect you as the main character. This means all the AI did while standing back there is nothing except linked artes. Rowen counters this as I can spam magic from two characters while linking control from both the white and black mage of this game. Next level tales of gameplay here.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-25-2014, 08:00 AM
I love the character interaction that's based on your choices.

"I'm so hungry!"

"Didn't we just eat?"

It reminds me of Rogue Galaxy where the characters would call me out for playing the game too long. lol.

Pumpkin
07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Just reached a point in the game where I have no friggin clue what's going on

Noire
07-28-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm replaying this again at the moment, from Milla's perspective...with some wonderful GRADE shop bonuses that mean I can just sit back and refresh my memory ready for the sequel at the end of next month. I'll probably go for the Platinum whilst I'm at it, too...it'll just look nice.

I can't say I'm too keen on Milla though, to be honest...although I do quite like Jude. He's a lot more mellow and mature than most Tales protagonists, and he's not your typical sword-wielding stereotypical-knight-type muscle-bound moron either. Plus he isn't voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch or Yuri Lowenthal. Bonus!

Dat Matt
07-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Just reached a point in the game where I have no friggin clue what's going on

That happens often. What just happened?

Pumpkin
07-28-2014, 10:20 PM
We went to destroy the lance of kreznik after killing king whoever and then handmaid loser put the key in and these things came down from the sky and OHMIGOSH I AM IN LOVE WITH CELSIUS :omgomg: and then jiao died and now we're in a cave

Mirage
07-28-2014, 11:39 PM
oh yeah you just started crazymode

Dat Matt
07-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Lol, that part gets insane. At that part in the game the story differs depending on what character you choose. We had Jude so that part had us with Jude/Rowen/Elize. The Milia story has Leia/Rowen/Milia in this section. It's pretty cool.

Pumpkin
07-31-2014, 09:11 PM
OHMYGOSH THIS GAME

I have even less clue what's going on now than I did before. I thought I knew. Things were going normal. And then a whole mess of stuff happened and now the game is just like tralala taxes and doctors~

Shauna
08-15-2014, 09:12 AM
So Matt and I finished this last night. I enjoyed the main plot and the characters, but damn, we finished this bad boy up in 48 hours. The final dungeon was a bit lacklustre, the optional dungeon I definitely felt similarly about and the colisseum was not as challenging as it had been in other games. In Graces we clocked in over 100 hours and that was just finishing one playthrough.

Ah well. It was fun, looking forward to smashing Milla's story in future.

Pumpkin
08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
I played Millia's story so I'm looking forward to replaying as Jude!

Vyk
08-15-2014, 08:49 PM
And the sequel is joining us soon~!

Pumpkin
08-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Got Tales of Xillia 2 :excited:

Vyk
08-24-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm with ya. We got it on release. Even though we could barely afford it, but was totally worth scrounging up the change. The beginning's a little wonky, but it takes off well enough. It's a little different, but still fun as hell~ Especially once you get a full team (of course)

Pumpkin
08-24-2014, 04:26 AM
I'm still on the train. I'm a bit confused by the Allium orb, but I'm guessing I'll get the hang of it soon. I love the new dialogue options!

Vyk
08-24-2014, 05:26 AM
I kinda envision it as the same as an illium orb, just that you can't see the progress on the big picture, and that you can advance in one direction rather than be forced to do whole circles or sections. But of course you would still want to vary things up so you end up more well rounded. With the Allium it shows you a few things you'll learn, then once those are done, it gives you a few more you can learn, or you can switch to another element if you've acquired it and learn those. Its not so bad

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Picked up Xillia 2 the other day and I'm loving it so far. So far I've only ran into Jude from the first game but I can't wait to see everybody else :excited:

That 15 million debt though :colbert:

The Allium Orb looked intimidating at first but it's actually quite simple. All you do is leave one equipped until you learn a few abilities, then if you like, just switch an orb with someone else so you can learn more abilities.

On the PlayStation store there's a cheap all-elemental orb that you can buy. If you equip that on someone, you don't need to mess with their orb at all.

Mirage
08-30-2014, 09:02 PM
15 million? I got 20.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-30-2014, 09:20 PM
15 million? I got 20.

Ah, you're right.

Forgot about that "veterinary fee".

Mirage
08-31-2014, 09:41 PM
I can understand them though. Doing surgery on that huge lump of fat was probably pretty hard.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Is there a way to check your affinity with Julius and Bisley? I can only find affinity with player characters.

Vyk
09-04-2014, 08:53 PM
What the.. I wasn't aware their affinity even mattered. I never see their faces pop up in options. Just like I never see Elle's face pop up. I assumed her affinity wasn't a thing either. Its not like you get extra outfits for her or anything. Are you sure there IS affinity set up for them? Maybe I'm missing out..

But to answer your question, obviously I don't know lol

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-04-2014, 10:01 PM
What the.. I wasn't aware their affinity even mattered. I never see their faces pop up in options. Just like I never see Elle's face pop up. I assumed her affinity wasn't a thing either. Its not like you get extra outfits for her or anything. Are you sure there IS affinity set up for them? Maybe I'm missing out...

Julius, Bisley and Elle all have hidden affinity. If your affinity is high enough with them by the end of the game you'll get three different weapons as a result. Dual swords, hammer, guns. From what I've read, the affinity with Elle can only be raised to what you need in new game+.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Double post because people wouldn't look at the thread otherwise and this is exciting.

I beat the game a few days ago!

Now that I've finished some of the post-game stuff of Tales of Xillia 2, I'm officially shelving it until a future playthrough. I love this game! A couple thoughts:

-I put in roughly 100 hours and I got my characters to at least level 111 or more.

-I got updwards of 8 hearts worth of affinity with every character, and got all the hearts with 4 or 5 people. Successfully raised the hidden affinity with Bisley and Julius.

-I opened every treasure chest to the best of my knowledge, including those in the fractured dimensions.

-The best part of the post-game dungeon was being able to purchase alternate skins for your characters. Seeing Ludger running around as Elle or Jude running around as Julius was a total blast.

-Whenever I play poker the gold and silver dice appear to make no difference whatsoever. By luck of having a pretty good run at double or nothing, I've been able to rack up over 100,000+ chips.

-I really like the DLC costumes from old games. Having Muzet floating around as Sheena was a cool throwback, especially because the battle music changed as well.

-I paid off the entire debt. The cutscene that follows is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in a Tales game! Google it for a laugh.

-I unlocked some of the sealed weapons based on previous games I've played. Namely Sealed Graces, Symphonia and Legendia.

-I did a decent amount of the extreme mode in the coliseum and a decent amount of the post-game dungeon. I'm saving most of that for a future new game + because it was really hard. Same goes for the ex enemy hunts. They totally wiped me.

-I watched the normal and true endings, and I've gotta say the true ending is really touching. I'm glad they went that route.

fat_moogle
11-18-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm playing through this at the moment (Jude's story). The only other Tales game I've played (but didn't complete) is Graces f, but I'm enjoying this one much more. The story is more interesting (no Richard, HOORAY!) and the combat feels more fluid. My party is currently at Level 40 and I've maxed out everyone's first Lilium orb, so I'll be starting to make my way through the second orb now. About to head in to Fennmont.