PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to make eggs

Pike
07-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Eggs are supposed to be a really good deal for the price. I have no idea what to do with them however! What sorts of things can I do with eggs? What do I need? Like, a pan? Explain to me like I have never cooked before.

Christmas
07-05-2014, 02:34 PM
French toasts and scrambled egg are some of the fun things I do with eggs. :bigsmile:

Parker
07-05-2014, 02:37 PM
There are maybe 20000000 preperations involving eggs and 1/2 of those are super easy.

Boil them in a saucepan. Check out a list of times I guess and find out what degree of doneness you like most. Have the yolks soft if you like to dip bread (or if youre smurfing posh like me, asparagus) into them. Or you can hard boil them for a while and then cut them up to put in a sandwich or salad.

Take of thier shells and boil them naked! You got a poached egg, girl. Freshness is important, if the eggs are a little older they won't retain shape very well and you'll get like egg tentacle soup. Gross!!!
Cheater's tip: Wrap a shell-less egg in saran wrap and boil it and you have a poached egg with a perfect shape! Make sure the saran wrap is the microwaveable kind!
Traditional tip: white vinegar will help your eggs retain shape, to a degree. Don't use too much, obvs.
Trad tip 2: if youre not using the saran wrap cheater tip then you can create a little vortex in the saucepan with a spoon, the eggo spins in the middle and cooks. it's like a balerina. beautiful. poetry.

Fry them in butter or oil. Watch your temperature here, it takes a little experimentation to get the level of doneness you want. Don't use a lot of butter or oil, just a little bit. Experiment with the heat a little bit, but don't worry too much, even your fried egg failures won't be that bad. If you cook them on a low heat, you might wanna throw a lid on towards the end to cook the top of the egg (or just flip the egg over if you don't like them sunny-side up). Don't keep the lid on too long, you'll get rubbery eggs, bro. Use a frying pan.

You CAN deep-fry eggs if you want, which is sometimes seen, but it's a waste of oil and what you essentially get is a fried poached egg.

fire_of_avalon
07-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Parker is quite the eggs-pert.

:bigsmile:

Christmas
07-05-2014, 02:46 PM
First you're gonna wanna make a nest...

http://d.wapday.com:8080/animation/ccontennt/15871-f/robin_building_nest.gif?__sid=ggl&lang=en

noxious.sunshine
07-05-2014, 03:42 PM
The best way to hard boil an egg is to fill a pot with cold water with a splash of vinegar, add the eggs- bring to a boil, cover, then turn the stove off and let the eggs sit like that for about 20 minutes. The vinegar helps the shell come off easier and turning off the heat after boiling helps prevent the outside of the yolk from turning that gross grey-ish green color. And helps with nit over cooking so much that the shells crack in the water.

With those hard boiled eggs you can make Deviled Eggs- there's so many variations you can do on it, but the way my mom did them was to mash up the yolks (after slicing the eggs in 1/2 lengthwise) with just mayo and mustard, a pinch of salt & pepper, and some paprika. Super basic. But you can go off of that and do a ton of stuff.. I've seen them made with avocado, jalepeņo, etc. A really awesome trick I learned from Trisha Yearwood's cooking show - the night before you make Deviled eggs, flip the eggs over in their carton. That way when you boil, peel, and slice them the next day, the yolks will have moved and settled more in the middle of the egg instead of being at the bottom (which makes it harder to slice the eggs while keeping the whites intact).

Omelets are really easy to make.. If you're making just 1 for yourself, crack 2 eggs into a bowl, Add a couple of teaspoons of water and beat it all together. Chop up whatever veggies you're using (I like spinach, onion, tomato, mushroom) & sautee them a bit in a small skillet in some butter or olive oil, transfer to a plate, then add a bit more of whatever fat you're using to cook with.. Add the eggs and swirl them around in the skillet to spread them out. Let sit for a little bit so that the bottom starts to set, then take a spatula and run it around the edge of the egg, lifting it up a bit and tilting the pan as you go around to let the uncooked egg run under and get cooked.

Add veggies and cheese to one side of it, then with your spatula lift up the other side and fold over to make the omelet. let sit for a minute on that side, then flip over (lift the omelet from the seam instead of trying to flip it from the folded side) & let cook for another minute or so ... Easy lemon squeezy, even though that sounds complicated... :( .. Cheese wise, almost anything that melts is amazing.. Or you can do goat cheese which is nom. I also do cheddar, pepper jack, white cheddar, parmesan, Swiss.. Just depends on what I have. And you can do tons of filling combos- chicken, steak, sausage, ham, bacon, chorizo, with whatever veggies you want!

You can also do frittata- scrambled eggs thrown into a skillet with veggies, cheese, sometimes a meat of some sort, and cheese- smoked salmon, potato, and asparagus is a popular combo, I believe- then baked in the oven until the top is a light golden brown .

Quiche is another popular baked egg dish, but that involves a crust and flour, so you'd have to find a gluten free recipe if you're CD ) ...

Also souflee, but I've never made one of those and it involves flour, so again, GF version if you're CD

I tend to do a lot of Mexican-y breakfasts..

Chilaquiles are nom as fuck. Take some corn tortillas and cut them into triangles (like a pizza) & let them sit out overnight to get stale. The next morning, heat up some oil and lightly fry the chips in batches until they're crispy.

Wipe the pan clean, then add a bit more oil and add a couple of cups of salsa - red or green- and let cook/reduce a little bit. Then add the tortillas and sautee them for a couple of minutes to let the salsa soak in., stirring carefully to avoid breaking them.

Scoop onto plates and top with refried beans and either scrambled eggs or eggs over medium, sour cream, and queso fresco ..
(easiest method of making salsa is just boil Roma tomatoes or tomatillos with the husks removed with a couple of jalepeņos or Serrano peppers, a halved onion, and a couple cloves of garlic. Spoon the ingredients with a slotted spoon into a blender and squeeze in some lime juice and add cilantro and blend away. You could also roast everything under the broiler, but you'd have to really watch the garlic and then peel off the blackened skins after it's all cooled down, then blend with lime and cilantro).

Huevos con chorizo y frijol - nab some chorizo and split the case open. Dump chorizo into a skillet, chop up & add onion, garlic, and cilantro and cook that bitch up all together.. No need for oil or butter cuz the chorizo has fat in it already. Chorizo is done when it's all crumbly and kind of dry-ish looking. Anywho. Then add some beaten eggs and a can of partially drained black beans. The eggs will cook in the bean liquid, and any extra liquid will evaporate, but if you wanna be safe, you can let the eggs cook just a bit first. Serve them up with corn tortillas that you heated up in a dry skillet, salsa, & queso fresco.

You can omit the beans and just make huevos con chorizo, too. Just as good.

okay. I'm done. lmao ...

Psychotic
07-05-2014, 04:20 PM
If you're really lazy you can just make them in the microwave.

Smash egg into microwave proof container, pour a drop of milk and add a pinch of salt. You can also sprinkle cheese in if you want, but it's not important. Then just go mental and whisk it with a fork for a couple of minutes, until the mixture is a pale yellow colour. You can then bung it in the microwave for a minute, maybe a minute thirty and you're good to go. Add more salt if you want or ketchup or anything else afterwards.

I don't really notice much of a difference between that and eggs done on the stove. There's a little bit, but really not much of one.

Alive-Cat
07-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Crack them into a cup, pour in milk, drink :greenie:

Bubba
07-05-2014, 04:46 PM

It's shame these days he's merely a broken shell of a man.

Madame Adequate
07-05-2014, 04:49 PM

A PROMOTION, YOU SAY?

kotora
07-05-2014, 06:04 PM
When frying an egg, the trick is to put the lid on the pan. I learned that from a video game.

Parker
07-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Honestly tho how bad was Sunny if she managed to blacken fried eggs. like you dont do that accidentally you have to really try. dont be a sunny, pike

Jessweeee♪
07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
The easiest thing is scrambled eggs. Heat a pan to medium, melt a small chunk of butter all over the pan, crack however many eggs you want to eat into a bowl, beat them until it's one solid yellow mass, and pour them into the pan. Then you just kind of poke them around with the spatula until they look like something you want to eat.

I like to mix scrambled eggs into my rice c:

Colonel Angus
07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Nobody can "teach" you to make eggs. Your body just does it on it's own when you hit puberty.

ScottNUMBERS
07-05-2014, 09:50 PM
hi5 to that

It's shame these days he's merely a broken shell of a man.
Some cracking puns there guys.

Sorry. I'm so sorry.

KentaRawr!
07-06-2014, 08:23 AM
When frying an egg, the trick is to put the lid on the pan. I learned that from a video game.

Thank you, Naomi!

Edit: Also, Psy's crazy microwave shenanigans work. I just tried it.

blackmage_nuke
07-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I use one of these bad boys
http://lakelandcamel.scene7.com/is/image/LakelandCamel/14327_1?$380$
I spray it with olive oil set a fire under it, and when the oil starts steaming I crack the egg on. When the bottom is solid enough to hold the uncooked part I flip the egg.

Rantz
07-06-2014, 09:18 AM
The easiest thing is scrambled eggs. Heat a pan to medium, melt a small chunk of butter all over the pan, crack however many eggs you want to eat into a bowl, beat them until it's one solid yellow mass, and pour them into the pan. Then you just kind of poke them around with the spatula until they look like something you want to eat.

Scrambled eggs are my favourite along with fried. So easy to make and so delicious. You gotta put some salt in them before you put em in the pan though! Some pepper too if you like. I also like to add a tablespoon or two (depending on how many eggs I'm making) of cream into the eggs before cooking.

In general for eggs I think it's very important not to overcook them, which is almost always easy. You can do the lid thing for fried/scrambled and maybe something like what noxy described for boiled, although I tend to just go on careful timing instead. Works pretty well once you've learned it.

Night Fury
07-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I loooove baked eggs. So yummy, and quite different!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1649636/baked-eggs-with-spinach-and-tomato

Mirage
07-06-2014, 04:11 PM
i just fry my eggs and put them on a slice of bread. Sometimes I put a slice or two of cheese on top of the eggs as i fry them and let it melt all over them. Add seasoning as needed. I just use some herb salt or whatever.

Colonel Angus
07-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Anyone other than me eat their fried eggs well done/not runny?

noxious.sunshine
07-06-2014, 05:17 PM
My ex liked his over well.

I like over easy with initiated bread.

I have no idea why, but my mom could/would only do 1 at a time in the skillet. My dad's mind was blown when he saw me doing 3 at the same time lol.

If you're doing microwaved eggs, for the love of Jesus spray the bowl down with non stick cooking spray or rub it down with olive oil. The bowl can be a bitch to clean afterwards.

Mirage
07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Anyone other than me eat their fried eggs well done/not runny?

Sometimes, sometimes not. I like them soft and sort of thick flowing in the middle but not completely solid. If it was a steak I'd call it medium.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
This place will tell you everything you need to know. The Incredible Egg. (https://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes)

Jess
07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I was going to post that website, it's great. You can make so much with eggs!

My personal favourites are omelettes, scrambled eggs on toast and dippy eggs and soldiers.

I'm going to try some things from incredible egg, though. :jess:

E: oh oh oh I forgot eggs benedict. That is delicious.

Shiny
07-09-2014, 01:12 AM
I usually boil them and then make deviled eggs or I just cook the egg whites in a sauce pan. I just spray with the pan with PAM and then sprinkle a little sea salt and black pepper on it. It's good to good in just a few minutes. Deviled eggs are the best way to eat eggs though imo and the only time I will eat the yoke, but even then I sometimes take the yellow out of the deviled eggs. And yeah there's french toast, but I honestly hate when people use too much egg for the toast. I want it to be more cinnamon-y and less egg-y.

Colonel Angus
07-09-2014, 03:12 AM
And yeah there's french toast, but I honestly hate when people use too much egg for the toast. I want it to be more cinnamon-y and less egg-y.
Do you add the cinnamon to the egg mixture, so then you cook the cinnamon into the toast, or do you sprinkle the cinnamon on after you cooked it?

Freya
07-10-2014, 09:41 PM
There are some great recipes on I breathe... I'm hungry (http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/) specifically heavily using eggs right now. They are gluten/lowcarb so it may help a lot, pike. I want to try fettuccine Alfredo

Shorty
07-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Pikey have you done any experimenting yet?

My favorite way to have eggs is in huevos rancheros. Tortilla, over-easy egg, skillet potatoes, avocado, cheese, salsa. The most beautiful breakfast ever.

One-eyed chickens are also super easy to make.

If I'm making simple scrambled eggs, I usually always atleast chop up some onion to put in there. I've kindof overdone myself on peppers in my eggs lately, getting sick of it :(

Rantz
07-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Huevos rancheros are great!

Araciel
07-12-2014, 08:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgHgbn_sVUw

Watched this once. Cooked three omelettes. Now I'm a wiz.

Iceglow
07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
for a complete newb, start with poaching, two poached eggs on some a slice of wholegrain toast is great, throw some salt and pepper on it. If you happen to have a small pan or the grill on to do your toast, when you're starting up your eggs, chuck a tomato halved under the grill, grilled or baked/roast tomato is fantastic and healthy

~*~Celes~*~
08-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Nobody can "teach" you to make eggs. Your body just does it on it's own when you hit puberty.
false. all females are born with their eggs already intact!

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but egg sammiches are the best!

I make an egg sunny-side-up (yolk has not been broken but white is fried) and put it on bread with mayo. AWESOME. I love yolk with bread!

noxious.sunshine
08-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Sunny Side Up eggs are a little hard to do, imo.

Egg sammies -are- yummy. Scrambled with bacon and mayo. Nom!

I like over easy eggs, but they can be hard to do as well.

Add a couple of tablespoons of butter into the pan, crack the eggs in and let them cook until the bottoms set, then scoop up with a spatula and flip them over (careful not to break the yolk), and let cook for a little while longer until that side is set.