PDA

View Full Version : "Man, that's hilarious! Too bad I can't say anything!"

Sephex
07-09-2014, 06:06 AM
What do you do when you think of something funny, but can't say anything because you know the comment is way too inappropriate?

I recently thought of a racially insensitive joke that made a couple of my friends laugh. No way am I telling it here, work, or...anywhere, really. It's just too much.

So what do you do when faced with that situation? Doesn't matter if you thought of a joke (or something inappropriately funny) or just heard it and want to pass it along. Tell it anyway? Stay quiet? What?

Close friends or relatives don't count since you'd probably say something anyway. Think of people semi close to you in any kind of relationship.

Miss Mae
07-09-2014, 08:00 AM
This is a very decent percentage of why I am so pleased to have the particular boyfriend that I have. I have told him way too many of the inappropriate and offensive thoughts that pop into my head and he still doesn't hate me! :3:

Sephex
07-09-2014, 08:01 AM
That's cause Jiro is a hero.

Night Fury
07-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Probably wouldn't risk it but chuckle to myself anyway until someone gets it out of me, by which point it's no longer funny and is just inappropriate.

Pheesh
07-09-2014, 08:25 AM
There are some times when I'm in a public situation and I know a fart would just be hilarious, but usually I won't do it.

...Usually :shifty:

Christmas
07-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Only to someone really close like my boyfriend. He knows all my crazy jokes and the keeper of my darkest secrets. :bigsmile:

Loony BoB
07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I know too many people who enjoy inappropriate jokes. I hear them constantly. Mine are fairly tame by comparison. I think dark humour has it's place in this world.

Psychotic
07-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Yes! I was going to do a LP of my EoFF RPG BAoTW Forever, which was sort of going to be a director's commentary too. For those of you who don't know, it was a game I made many years ago (took me five years to do!) and released in 2009. I figured people would like it as most regular EoFFers today are in it, plus it'd be nostalgic to see members long gone.

NOPE.

I think the LP lasted three minutes and was mostly me apologising. The least offensive joke was Del Murder speaking like "Mama mia! Eyyyy is nice pasta, si! It's-a me, Murdio!". Yeah, that's least offensive. For a sample of some of the more delightful content, please enjoy this rape joke. I will spoiler it as it may upset/offend people. Read at your own peril.

I say rape joke, I mean I literally had an EoFFer brutally rape another. Then Cid's Knight eestlinc chases The Captain into an alley, announces "I'm gonna beat you down then beat you off!" (a homage to what the cops in GTA: SA say) and the screen fades to back as a series of comedy sound effects play, interspersed with eest saying things like "Oh yeah, call me repo man (eestlinc's second account) bitch!"

My favourite bit of this is the Captain, despite this horrible assault, still managing to end the scene with his trademark cheerful "Take care all!" which still makes me laugh.

Now, the point of this scene aside from a few cheap laughs as to show the Cid's Knights were both abusing their powers and smurfing weirdos. It certainly did that.

I should point out I started work on this when I was 17ish and, well, yeah. Not only are my standards of decency different, society and indeed the internet's have moved on too. This was written in 2004ish before the days of tumblr, trigger warnings, and so on. And that sort of content was not problematic then. Nobody said a peep and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I don't want to sound like an old man looking back fondly of the old times when you could own a black person and make them sit at the back of the bus and whatnot, because I do think things are better, don't get me wrong. Just trying to add context.

I wouldn't smurfing dare release an LP now, partially out of embarrassment at my teenage self thinking that's cool, partially out of a worry of causing offence to some decent people and partially out of not wanting to deal with the ensuing troutstorm from self-righteous drama llamas (moreso in the context of the wider internet than EoFF, but once it's up on YouTube it's fair game for anyone). I know it was stupid looking back on it but that's all it ever really was anyway, a silly bit of fun I made for my friends on a website as a teenager. Also a lot of the jokes are cringeworthy and not as funny to me now as I was as a kid too (note to past self: brevity is the soul of wit, SHUT UP) so there's that as well.

KentaRawr!
07-09-2014, 01:25 PM
The few times I've thought of inappropriate jokes, the only people I've had to share them with then have an army of inappropriate jokes to tell me, and then it gets uncomfortable because all the jokes are either racist, sexist or some combination. :erm: So I tend to just not share them if they ever come to mind, and tell myself "Okay Kenta that's bad. Stop thinking that."

Pumpkin
07-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I usually tell them and I have a pretty offbeat sense of humour. I think the exception now is that I can't tell rape jokes (not that I've wanted to or can think of any) because, you know, I work for a rape trauma center.

Kind of a funny story, the center did a rape culture awareness presentation to one of the colleges near here. Apparently the dean was absent, but it also involved how rape jokes are not okay. Supposedly the dean came back the next day and said something like "I've been trying to get raped, but it hasn't happened yet" and they were like we JUST talked about this

The one thing I have a problem with is dead baby jokes. I can handle any other kind but I absolutely hate dead baby jokes, they make me so very angry. It doesn't help when you tell people this and they keep making them :stare:

Delorean
07-09-2014, 09:33 PM
There's a time and place for everything, but I'd say in most circumstances that I wouldn't care; I'd rather be hated for who I am than to be liked for who I'm not.

Though, it's not to say I'm some kind of hatemonger. There are actually few things that irritate me more than being likened to one. I've no love for political correctness, it's an abomination. Take it with you to and leave it at work imo.

Colonel Angus
07-10-2014, 05:49 AM
I'm all for a good joke, no matter how rude it may be. The list of things I don't care for is very small. Even then, if the joke is just right, I may still find it funny. :joker:

Quindiana Jones
07-10-2014, 05:53 AM
I enjoy inappropriate jokes that may me go "that is a very clever play on the thing that happened, but holy shit I can't believe you actually said it". My RE teacher told me a couple about the Holocaust, which included that ashtray one everybody knows.

My religious education teacher. xD

Vasher
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Whitey, honky, cracker, spik, choont, chink, nigger, "FOB", flip, etc. Most of the time, when spoken, these words aren't intended to be derogatory. If they are spat out as a derogative, then it is the individual who said it that is ignorant, not the entire race they are associated with and there is no reason for the "afflicted" race to create an uproar. The inflammatory reaction empowers the negative connotations as well as the ignorant. Brush it off like "it ain't no thang" and guess what, it ain't no thang.

Fair enough, but you don't have to list the offensive words please. -shiny

Colonel Angus
07-11-2014, 12:00 AM

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Depends on whether or not I'm talking to Huxley.

As an aside we recently played an online Cards Against Humanity for a few hours and "White people like white people" was the best play.