PDA

View Full Version : The Hair Thread

Shorty
07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Members of EoFF, how do you wear your hair? I can appreciate that ladies might be more inclined to respond, but don't be shy, guys! But don't be jerks, either :colbert:

I have three styles I stick to pretty much exclusively and don't have much variation. I prefer to wear my hair down and straightened, but if my hair is too greasy then I'll either put it in a ponytail and curl the ends or I'll throw it up in a ballerina bun. I feel like I have a weirdly shaped face and ears so I don't love wearing my hair up but sometimes it's necessary! If I want to look fancy, I'll curl my hair with a large curling iron, but that doesn't happen often. I usually stick to a part down my middle and I always tease/backcomb and use a lot of hairspray and a palmful of mousse to help with volume when blowdrying. Love big hair! I should style with a roundbrush to get maximum volume but it takes so long and I hate it :mad2:

I've always loved the look of braids, especially fishtail braids, but my hair has never really been long enough to braid well. Same for big barrel curls! I figured out how to master beach waves a while ago but have been too lazy to replicate my work.

I also really, really love giant hairbows but I feel like I am too old to wear them :( Although nobody can persuade me to not wear a bow with a bun :colbert:

I dye my hair regularly and have done so since I was thirteen, including various shades ranging from bright rockstar red to dark black cherry purple (it's currently just a couple shades darker than my natural red). I went through a period where I bleach my bangsed and a couple of big sections of hair in my front but did away with that and now I just keep a little blonde peekaboo. I've cut my own bangs over the years and always end up regretting it, but I can trim my own hair just fine.

What about you? :jess: How do you manage your lovely locks? Any crazy hair or particular styles you like or dislike? How have your worn your hair in the past?

Night Fury
07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Eh, honestly I've been thinking about getting a hair cut.

My hair now!

My hair is mid length, and while I like it long and it looks nice... it's just too much maintenance, and I have to thin it out which makes it look like crap. I don't do much to it atm although I'm transitioning to blonde from brown. I like to colour it a lot and I go through about 4 colours a year... I'm hoping the blonde will stick though as what I aim to do with that is lighten my hair enough that I can just put on semi-permanent toners every few months instead of really strong dyes.

Styling wise I just spend about 5 minutes straightening it up a bit, keeping some body in there and just wearing it kinda messy over one shoulder. I have recently started to absolutely HATE straightening my hair - it feels like such a waste of my time but my hair kind of looks like crap without at least a bit of styling.

I'm thinking of getting a long a line bob put in, which is longer on one side. A bit like this picture... just as long as I can keep the natural thickness of it and add a fun shape, I'm happy!

Pheesh
07-09-2014, 05:01 PM
True story

Phil and Tara out shopping on a pooey day in Daylesford, Victoria. We step out of a cafe where we've been eating and it starts belting down with rain (and I mean BELTING). We're under a small alcove on the main street at this point but faced with a fair amount of distance between ourselves and where the car is parked. Being young, reckless and in love we decide to go for it. I take Tara by the hand and we start running down the sidewalk, covering ourselves from the wind and rain, me laughing and urging Tara to run faster, her lagging behind with her tiny legs pumping and all kinds of Geordie obscenities being thrown out against the harsh weather (sounds something like "Ahhh keeman pissin' bloody whey aye noo Phil I DOON' LIKE IT!!").

Finally we make it to the car and I'm fumbling for the keys to unlock it while Tara continues to curse and hop about like a loony. With the doors unlocked we tumble into the safety and shelter of the small Holden that we're borrowing, panting and soaked. "Are you okay, baby?" I say out loud.

Staring at her saturated clothes Tara begins "Yeah I'm okay, that was..." when she is abruptly cut off.

"Wasn't talking to you." Says I, staring at my combover in the rear-vision mirror.

Tara loves that story.

Night Fury
07-09-2014, 05:04 PM
I just read that with him beside me laughing his ass off, and I'm like "you asshole" and he's all like "you love me, give me kiiiiss" and I straight up refused. THAT'S how much I love that story.

:colbert:

Bubba
07-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I get a number three on the back and sides and a choppy trim on top.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-09-2014, 06:16 PM
I generally keep it short. Having bangs annoys me. However, I'll let the beard grow for months at a time.

I dyed my hair black in high school cause I was one of those guys who let their music tastes reflect on their appearance.

Jess
07-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I used to dye my hair all the time. Brown to blonde and vice versa. I got sick of blonde because the bleach was causing too much damage to my hair causing me to have it cut all the time. I prefer it long, so I decided to quit going back blonde. I've been growing my hair and haven't dyed it in over a year. It's unintentional ombré, due to the brown dye lightening on the bleached hair, but I like it.

I wear my hair all kinds of ways. Down, straight. Down, wavy. Down, curly. Braided pigtails. Side ponytail or side braid. Those are the most common.

I wish my hair would hurry up and grow. I want it really long but I don't want extensions!

Shauna
07-09-2014, 06:35 PM
I used to have my hair really long, but these days I try to keep my hair shoulder length because hassle. I usually tie it back also because hassle, my hair is terribly kinky and if I dare look at it wrong it tends to just knot itself. People have asked me why I even keep as much length in my hair as I do particularly because I tie it back all the time, but it's really just because I like having the option to do something with it if I want to, for any special occasions or whatever. I just tend not to do anything exciting with it because I don't do anything exciting full stop. xD I have never dyed my hair and I don't plan on doing so.

Bubba
07-09-2014, 06:58 PM
my hair is terribly kinky

escobert
07-09-2014, 07:01 PM
I shave my head and beard every couple months. Not always the beard though.

Ayen
07-09-2014, 07:01 PM
I used to spike it with some hair gel and comb it back, but nowadays I just comb it back neatly to where you can see my forehead and don't mess with it much beyond that. The longest it has ever been for years is down the back of my neck. I will never bother with bangs again, so annoying.

Yellow_Magic
07-09-2014, 07:11 PM
This is not the best thread for a balding person to see. :(

I'm just keeping it short and manageable until it finally all disappears.

Shauna
07-09-2014, 07:17 PM
my hair is terribly kinky

:jokey:

Pike
07-09-2014, 07:19 PM
I just don't bother with my hair whatsoever. I pay the hairdresser the bare minimum to trim it every six months or so, and I spend about ten seconds combing it when I get out of the shower. Otherwise I pretty much never touch it. 90% of the time I roll out of bed and head straight to work without even touching a brush because I just don't care. :shobon:

noxious.sunshine
07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
I color my hair every so often- I use Garnier (I think) "Sangria" shade (Medium Auburn Brown), & I only leave it in for 5- 8 minutes. I have to use 2 boxes of it to adequately coat my hair. It's already a lighter auburn color, but it just looks really dull to me, so I go with that to liven it up a bit. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting highlights or going full blond, but nah. My hair looks too pretty the way it is.

As far as styling goes, I just blow dry it straight then tie it up in a knot .. My hair is literally almost down to my butt now, so I can tie it without using Bobby pins or other clips- it'll stay on its own and I'll still have a little shoulder length ponytail. I leave it up like that while I'm doing my makeup and getting dressed then when I pull it back down, there's a nice subtle wave to my hair.

For some reason, big barrel curls won't hold for me. I have no idea why.

I do a big sloppy side fish tail braid sometimes with a headband, but that's rare. And sometimes I'll do a mini French braid on the thinner side of my part and pin it like that.

Mostly I've been leaving it in a knot though. It's been so smurfing hot and humid here that I'm drenched in sweat as soon as I step outside and then my hair is messed up.

I have an oily scalp and really dry hair. It drives me insane.

EDIT: I want to get long layers cut in... Like Kim Kardashian or something, but I'm forbidden to do anything to it lol.. My dad and Jay would kill me.

Aulayna
07-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Ponytail pretty much all day everyday... well apart from at weekends when I have it down.

Pumpkin
07-09-2014, 08:57 PM
I hate my hair and I wear it however the heck it decides it wants to look that day (e.g. bad)

Shiny
07-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Just got my hair did today in the same asymmetrical bob I've been getting lately. I found a new hair stylist that's awesome and can do my hair and make it shiny and bouncy without burning it to a crisp. My hair style was inspired by the lovely Sarah Barthel of Phantogram:

But I don't like a lot of hair on my forehead because then it breaks out, so I opted out on the bangs. I also don't like my hair up in buns or what not, unless it's a loose bun. My hair must be free flowing.

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2014, 07:28 AM
bob in the front, pixie in the back

Looks weird on the sides, but in a way that I actually really like.

Araciel
07-10-2014, 07:32 AM
straight up buzz it every three weeks or so. keep a bit of sideburns cause 2000s.

Night Fury
07-10-2014, 07:33 AM
That's a cute hairdo Shiny. Pics of it on you?

I have also opted out of having a full fringe lately. I like it as it covers my eyebrows which I can never be bothered to pluck but I had to cut it like every two weeks.

Vasher
07-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Disheveled, forward (medium length). I use KMS hair paste to keep it under control, natural look.

Had a chinstrap/mustache, but wife said the mustache and lower lip hair was "buggin". Still have the chinstrap, but mustache/hair above chin is gone.

My hair is "dirty blonde". Getting lighter in the summer sun and all the time in the pool (chlorine). Good thing too, hides the grey in my "sideburns".

Christmas
07-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I water it daily and some flowers just bloomed this morning. :bigsmile:

Bubba
07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
bob in the front, pixie in the back

metagloria
07-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm working on growing my hair out long (shoulder-length, maybe a bit past?) for the third time ever. It's currently just getting past the awkward medium length stage where's in all swoopy and untameable. My wife is so jealous of my hair because hers is straight. :p

Shiny
07-11-2014, 01:23 AM
That's a cute hairdo Shiny. Pics of it on you?

I have also opted out of having a full fringe lately. I like it as it covers my eyebrows which I can never be bothered to pluck but I had to cut it like every two weeks.
Okay... it's quite hard to take a selfie and take a photo showing off the style simultaneously.

Colonel Angus
07-11-2014, 02:47 AM
#1 blade w/ the razor. Real short.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-11-2014, 04:45 AM
90% of the time I roll out of bed and head straight to work

You're speaking my language.

Sephex
07-11-2014, 05:34 AM
*beat starts*

Look, if you had only one spot, with male pattern baldness...
And lose a bunch of hair in the shower, big clumps...
Would you shave it, or just let it thin?

Yo

His dome is shiny, comb over, follicles tiny
looks middle aged in his twenties, mom's genetics
He's nervous, but in public he wears hats to avoid split spaghetti

But he keeps on forgetting his Rogaine
Whole crowd laughs at his pain
Covers his head, feels nothing but dread
Turning red now, everybody's laughing now
The jig is up, they know, baldy, blahow!

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Right now I'm wearing it with a messy upwards thing on top and front, and short on the back and sides. I don't really know how to describe it better than that. :/

The afro is dead. Long live the afro.

Except not really, because the afro is dead.

Night Fury
07-11-2014, 04:05 PM
I usually hate 2nd day hair because for me it feels so oily and yucky, but last night I wore it in waves and I've been able to bare it today without washing! it looks really nice and natural :D

Shorty
07-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Second day hair works well for me. I use a lot of mousse and hairspray and it totally absorbs any oils that might leave my hair looking crappy.

Night Fury
07-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah I actually found a really great dry shampoo that works for me lately, it also adds volume so.... double bonus! :D

Flying Mullet
07-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Ohmygodthispostis chockfullofspoilers!Howcool isthat? Andyouthoughttoday wasgoing tobe aboringday? Hah!Youwerewrong!I hopeyouenjoyed thissuperextendedSpoilerinspoiler? Thisissometa!fest!

Sounds like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to hair.

Freya
07-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I wash and condition my hair with a special shampoo and then spray it with a keratin spray, a protein spray, and a curly hair spray. Then I either let it air dry or put it in a ponytail.

Occasionally i'll curl it for big beach curls/waves. If I do I use an Argan Hairspray. Sometimes I straighten it too. Occasionally I'll dye it.

I'm trying to grow mine out a lot. It's taking a while with all my health blah. I didn't realize how much health affects your hair.

Alive-Cat
07-12-2014, 12:55 AM
I've had so many hairstyles it's crazy, I never really liked any of them that much. My hair is far too short for my taste at the moment so I've ordered a wig! I plan to order more wigs. Don't hate on the wig. To be honest, even when my own hair is grown I may be partial to wearing a wig still every now and again! Instant new hairstyle/colour. Sounds good to me!

noxious.sunshine
07-14-2014, 10:26 PM
I colored my hair hoping to fix some of the extreme dryness issues I've been having, but it didn't really help.

So NOW, I'm making a hair mask.

I'm doing avocado, coconut oil, evoo.. Should I add mayo and beer? I mean.. Cuz it's all moisturizing, right?

Aulayna
07-15-2014, 01:00 AM
2nd hair day is the best hair day for me. My hair is naturally thick, wavy and curly. Which by it's nature means it also dries out *ridiculously* quickly. The day of washing it usually doesn't want to co-operate or do anything, the day after is when it wants to play and is also far more receptive to being straightened etc.

I know most girls are always like "oh I wish I had thick curly hair." Believe me, you don't. It is an absolute pain the backside to manage, constantly gets tangled up, goes bone dry incredibly quickly and the slightest hint of humidity - *phwoomph* affroooooo hair that would make the 60-80s look tame.

Sort of dip-dyeing the ends blonde and having the rest brunette. Pic is from a YouTube vid so a bit whaff quality wise... but ya

Depression Moon
07-15-2014, 01:44 AM
I just have my afro right now. I might go back to twists again, but the plan is to start growing out dreads.

Pumpkin
07-15-2014, 03:39 AM
2nd hair day is the best hair day for me. My hair is naturally thick, wavy and curly. Which by it's nature means it also dries out *ridiculously* quickly. The day of washing it usually doesn't want to co-operate or do anything, the day after is when it wants to play and is also far more receptive to being straightened etc.

I know most girls are always like "oh I wish I had thick curly hair." Believe me, you don't. It is an absolute pain the backside to manage, constantly gets tangled up, goes bone dry incredibly quickly and the slightest hint of humidity - *phwoomph* affroooooo hair that would make the 60-80s look tame.

Sort of dip-dyeing the ends blonde and having the rest brunette. Pic is from a YouTube vid so a bit whaff quality wise... but ya

That looks really pretty!

I have wavy/curly hair and I just wish mine was straight :(

Freya
07-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Speaking of how we want our hair, I'm kinda like the reverse ombre

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/55/d2/9a/55d29a7d834a2a45b329b867e08614bc.jpg

Mo-Nercy
07-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Sort of spiked up and to the side. I use Schwarzkopf Osis+ dust to do it and a bit of spray to lock it in. There's no one set way that I do it each day, I just sort of push it up to get my glorious forehead out there for all to see.

MissH
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
I've changed my hair so many times it's ridiculous. My hair dresser has has now refused to dye my hair dark because I've done it so many times and hated it! I'm just a blonde girl at heart! I think I prefer my hair curly. I curly with conicals and then brush it through so it's a loose curl/wave.

Iceglow
07-16-2014, 01:22 AM
I love how Sephex nailed our very own Sir Bobby Charlton (AKA Psychotic) with the rap.

I have a faux but it's not soft like most of these failed attempts I see. Essentially my hair is a mohawk with longer sides. I also have sideburns and a beard going on. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow after work.

fire_of_avalon
07-16-2014, 01:34 AM
It's long, it's curly, it's bronde (I learned that the other day) and until September it will probably stay in a ponytail.

I have thoughts about getting it cut, then I hug it like a cape around myself.

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm so glad my hair isn't curly or wavy or anything. Like seriously I am grateful for this every day. As is I never have to touch it ever, and that's how it should be.

Night Fury
07-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Kate Hudson and Jennifer Anniston are my hair crushes. Urgh, omg.

http://niftyhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Kate-Hudson-Natural-Curls.jpg