PDA

View Full Version : Persona 4 Golden

Ergroilnin
07-10-2014, 04:13 PM
So,

I wanna ask you guys if I should play this instead of vanilla P4. Is there enough new content?

Though I would have to buy PS Vita as well since I don't have the console. Or is there PS Vita emulator? Like PS2 emulator?

Skyblade
07-10-2014, 04:43 PM
There isn't an emulator yet, and the system is kind of crashing and burning from a market standpoint. Extra Credits has a great video on that, if you're interested.

REaUzHef9h4

But, as they also point out in their video "I will play Persona on a handheld all day long". I got my Vita solely for Persona 4 Golden (and half the games I have on it are ATLUS titles), and I haven't really regretted it. I love the new content, I love most of the tweaks (like the inheritance changes), and I love the portability. But it is basically a 240 dollar game, so consider carefully.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I've never played vanilla P4, but Golden played extremely well on the Vita. I read up at one point what the extra content was. I can't remember for sure, but there were some pretty significant additions that would make Golden worth playing over the original, I think.

If all you are going to want from the Vita is P4 Golden, I don't know that it's worth it though. $220ish bucks is a lot to spend to play just one game. I personally love the Vita and think it has enough good games to justify the cost. I also like playing PS1 games on the go.

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Persona 4 Golden has tons of extra content in it. I could play it forever! I bought my Vita with P4 Golden in mind and FFX/X-2 HD. Those games give me enough entertainment for me to feel justified with my purchase, but that's just me. Downloadable PSP games are also compatible on the Vita (but not the physical discs unfortunately).

But if you go with the original game I'm sure you'll be happy with that as well.

Ergroilnin
07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
PS1 games can be played on the vita by default or does it require getting emulator on it?

I am actually kinda thinking about getting the Vita, I never really had any handheld console and PSVita has nice RPGs for it.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-10-2014, 07:48 PM
You just buy ps1 games from the psn store on your vita. You don't download an extra emulator or have to hack it if that's what you are asking.

Mirage
07-11-2014, 12:07 AM
You could say that the PSV (and PSP) comes with an official built-in PS1 emulator. It just won't play pirated PS1 games like most unofficial emulators do, so you need to buy them from Sony.

As for the PSV failing though, I don't get why devs just couldn't develop cheaper titles for it. I mean sure, the PSV is really powerful, but you don't need to make games that always push the PSV to its limit, especially when considering that a more advanced game also drains battery much faster (which I actually think is one of the reasons why P3P is in 2D everywhere except in combat areas, to conserve battery life).

Skyblade
07-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Cheaper titles are the best option. There's a reason why ATLUS (who has always preferred aesthetics over graphics, and has generally lagged behind most developers in the graphical fidelity department) practically owns the system. And what are the largest titles for the Vita? Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X HD. Notice anything similar? They're both remakes, requiring substantially less development (especially since X HD was also being developed for console, making it basically a port).

The problem is, you're looking at a lot of hardware go to waste, and most companies are loathe to let that happen, especially since it goes against what the console was sold as: "a portable PS3". You can't bill a console like that and then under-deliver, especially early on. So in the early lifespan, there were very few companies who would develop, and by the time Sony realized that mistake (if they ever did), it was pretty much too late.

The best thing they did for the console was allow a ton of indie devs to get games onto PSN for it, as that does give a ton of content, even if the overall quality is much lower than what you might expect from the system specs. But it doesn't appear to be enough to save it.

On the other hand, it is a machine that runs some fantastic ATLUS games, and that's enough for me. :D

Ergroilnin
07-11-2014, 06:41 AM
So guys, would you suggest getting the older, fatter and die-sooner Vita with better OLED screen or just get the newer one with a bit worse LCD screen? Honestly I am aiming towards the Slim version as it seems much better aesthetically, has longer lifespan on a charge, is obviously lighter and honestly from what I saw on the web, the LCD screen is still great, just looks a bit flushed when compared next to the OLED.

Jessweeee♪
07-11-2014, 07:04 AM
I didn't think it was worth the higher price because I don't play much away from my house anyway, but a longer battery life might make it worthwhile if you do play a lot on the go.

Mirage
07-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Cheaper titles are the best option. There's a reason why ATLUS (who has always preferred aesthetics over graphics, and has generally lagged behind most developers in the graphical fidelity department) practically owns the system. And what are the largest titles for the Vita? Persona 4 Golden and Final Fantasy X HD. Notice anything similar? They're both remakes, requiring substantially less development (especially since X HD was also being developed for console, making it basically a port).

The problem is, you're looking at a lot of hardware go to waste, and most companies are loathe to let that happen, especially since it goes against what the console was sold as: "a portable PS3". You can't bill a console like that and then under-deliver, especially early on. So in the early lifespan, there were very few companies who would develop, and by the time Sony realized that mistake (if they ever did), it was pretty much too late.

The best thing they did for the console was allow a ton of indie devs to get games onto PSN for it, as that does give a ton of content, even if the overall quality is much lower than what you might expect from the system specs. But it doesn't appear to be enough to save it.

On the other hand, it is a machine that runs some fantastic ATLUS games, and that's enough for me. :D

On the other hand, having a lot power but not making graphically advanced games also means that more inexperienced coders can make their games run fluidly even if they're not extremely good at optimizing their code. I get that companies want to look their best, but that's a problem with their pride as a company, not customers, because they (as shown by the video) don't actually care all that much about graphics anyway, and certainly not on a portable device.

Skyblade
07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
On the other hand, having a lot power but not making graphically advanced games also means that more inexperienced coders can make their games run fluidly even if they're not extremely good at optimizing their code. I get that companies want to look their best, but that's a problem with their pride as a company, not customers, because they (as shown by the video) don't actually care all that much about graphics anyway, and certainly not on a portable device.

True, but Sony had to come to that realization early on for it to do a lot of good.

Also worth pointing out, Nintendo is still putting forth massive financial support for the 3DS. They're supporting and pushing games, and even funding translations to help increase consumer confidence.

Sony, on the other hand, isn't even pushing for a Final Fantasy Type-0 HD release on the Vita, despite the massive fan demand and the ability it would have to highlight the Vita's strengths.

The one mention the system got at E3 was that Sony was attempting to refocus the device more towards kids. Including games like The LEGO Movie as a recent bundle title, and announcing things like Disney Infinity 2.0 for the Vita. They also again stressed that they're encouraging indie devs to publish for it.

Kid-friendly would likely cut development costs and get more people publishing, but it's still showing a huge lack of direct support by Sony. There's also the fact that developers already have a system to support that's doing well on the kid front in the main competition.

However, the real downside is that the announcement seems to be pretty much giving up on the Vita as a major game platform.

“Well, the first market that I would point to is Japan, where the dedicated portable market has always been very strong. We’re really encouraged to see the start of a very positive spiral in the Japanese market around Vita. Weekly sales are getting to that point where we can really see that this is a platform that has got some legs. That, definitely, is having an effect on the Japanese publishing and development community. Overseas is more challenging. That said, we’ve taken a more holistic view with our platforms. With Remote Play, Vita has now essentially become an extender or an enhancer for the main platform for other rooms in the house, or when someone else wants to use the main screen. As the lifecycle of the platform progresses, there’s an opportunity to position Vita for a younger audience as well with the appropriate franchises. And it’s becoming a very accessible and easy on-ramp for independent developers, those who have had some success in the mobile space and now want to work on games that are that little bit richer, that have a more dedicated gaming interface. And we’re certainly seeing Vita being embraced by that community very strongly.”

They're wondering why the Vita isn't selling well Overseas. Their response is because they think players want more than a game system out of their handhelds in the West. Hence the "holistic view" that refocuses on Remote Play and Playstation TV. Here's a hint, Sony. Gamers want more games. Stop merely asking others to publish for it, and actually give the device the support you said you would when it was first released.

But, I have to point out, there are still some great games on it, especially for anyone who likes JRPGs. As one sage gentleman pointed out on Twitter: "Vita is my favorite system to play female anime face on."

Ergroilnin
07-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Well I am pretty much sold on the PS Vita Slim already. I guess I just never was really that much into the series that DS has and neither I am really into quantity. All I need is few titles that I love that can offer me hundreds of hours of play and I am all good.

Already bought FFX/X-2 HD remaster since it's on sale for half till 17.7. and I will get the console next week along with Persona 4: Golden. Those three games alone can easily score over 500 hours with all the super bosses and sidequests.

Skyblade
07-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Well I am pretty much sold on the PS Vita Slim already. I guess I just never was really that much into the series that DS has and neither I am really into quantity. All I need is few titles that I love that can offer me hundreds of hours of play and I am all good.

Already bought FFX/X-2 HD remaster since it's on sale for half till 17.7. and I will get the console next week along with Persona 4: Golden. Those three games alone can easily score over 500 hours with all the super bosses and sidequests.

Cool. Sorry if I seemed as though I was hating on the system, I just thought it was important to know what you're getting. As I said Persona 4 Golden was enough for me, but I'm hardly normal. Also check out Mind Zero. It's a Persona rip off homage, but a pretty good one that uses several of the same voice actors. I've also heard really good things about Gravity Rush and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Ergroilnin
07-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Tbh if i had enough money, I would probably just straight out buy everything JRPG for Vita instantly but I'll be getting them once at a time. For now the three games + the bundle I'll be getting with the console will do just fine.

Ergroilnin
07-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Really kind of funny though. Just one mega ultra awesome game made me buy the PS Vita in two days when I never even considered it before. Going for it first thing in tomorrow morning and I hope people won't start calling police that they haven't seen me for weeks because I am gonna hop right into that sexy golden P4!

What difficulty do you think I should start playing? I only played the vanilla P4 on normal and though it wasn't hard, it wasn't a walk in a park as well.

Anyway I guess this topic and it's content are now kinda off but whatever, I wanna ask you guys, if you think I should get PS Plus subscription. Mind I don't have PS3 nor PS4 and am not going to get them anytime soon since I just broke my purse with the PSV.

Jessweeee♪
07-12-2014, 02:27 AM
The difficulty is about the same in P4 Golden as it was in the original. Atlus games in general tend to be much harder than your average JRPG, so if you go up a difficulty you're gonna see a major difference. If you felt like normal was just right then stick with that, if you like to be really stumped every now and then go up one harder. Have fun c:

Dr Unne
07-12-2014, 03:24 AM
I'm yet another person who got a Vita for P4G. Kind of also for Ys: Memories of Celceta. If don't mind Vita being a JRPG + indie console, it's worth it.

Anyway I guess this topic and it's content are now kinda off but whatever, I wanna ask you guys, if you think I should get PS Plus subscription. Mind I don't have PS3 nor PS4 and am not going to get them anytime soon since I just broke my purse with the PSV.

If the free games you get are worth more than the cost you pay for the subscription, it's worth it, otherwise not. So think about how many of those free games you'll be playing. If the answer is 2 or 3 over the course of a year, it's probably worth it. I find the PS+ sales discounts to be not very thrilling, but the free games are nice. There are some good ones available.

This month has Muramasa Rebirth, which is honestly pretty awesome. I want to sit and look at the cherry blossoms in the backgrounds instead of play it. Gravity Rush was also surprisingly good. I feel like I already almost got my money's worth in a couple of months.

Sadly you just missed out, Gravity Rush and Uncharted were removed from PS+ last month after being free for a really long time.

Mirage
07-12-2014, 03:48 AM
I've actually seen like almost no interesting additions to free PSN+ games the last few months, at least not for PS3.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-12-2014, 05:17 AM
I don't know that PS+ would be worth it for just the vita. I would have said it was when it still had Gravity Rush and Uncharted available, but I don't think I've really seen anything compelling for Vita on Plus since then until now with Muramasa. I could be remembering wrong though.

Ergroilnin
07-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Okay got both the console and the game and I am loving both BIG time!

One last question though. Is there restricted number of times I can redownload my bought games as long as I only download it on the vita only?

Skyblade
07-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Okay got both the console and the game and I am loving both BIG time!

One last question though. Is there restricted number of times I can redownload my bought games as long as I only download it on the vita only?

Not as far as I know. It has to be on the system you registered with your PSN account, but after that, you should be able to download them indefinitely.

Ergroilnin
07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Oh good, I misunderstood the stuff about restriction so that's only activated consoles. I was a bit worried about deleting/redownloading would mean eventually having to rebuy the game which would be incredibly stupid but since Sony is all about getting our money, I wouldn't be surprised.

Ergroilnin
07-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Damn I said before "last question".

Well D'oh there is one more question on my mind. What do you guys prefer on your Vitas? Physical cartriges or digital copies? I myself am really running towards digitals.

They don't take any physical space, can't lose them, can't destroy them and most importantly if I ever decide to get ps3/4 I can actually play them there as well which is great. Not to mention I can have them all easily on the go and if you like some PSP/PSone classics, you have to go partially digital anyway.

The only cons I see is that they can be sometimes pricier and I need to get bigger card but since 64GBs can now be bought at around 100 dollars from Asia it doesn't seem THAT bad since 64GB is really a lot. And that the games can't be resold but really I never got much money out of reselling my games and since I choose carefully what titles I buy, I don't even want to sell them most of the time.

So just curious, your opinion on the matter?

Mirage
07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
You're wrong, you can't play PSV games on PS3 or PS4 just because you've bought them on PSN. That's only if a particular game has two versions, and only if you buy the game as a cross-platform package. Also just go buy the damn game already.

Also, cheap and big noname brand memory cards are usually slow, so your games might get longer loading times.

Ergroilnin
07-13-2014, 12:48 PM
But PSClassics should be at least playable there or not? Also I already have the P4G lol.

And I actually meant the official card: http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-vita-memory-card-64gb-paOS-13-49-en-70-7279.html

Mirage
07-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes.

Ok.

Skyblade
07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Normally, I prefer carts. I prefer having a physical copy, and there are definitely advantages with speed and install optimization. Plus, with the number of games I get, I can avoid worrying about space on the memory card, which can fill up quite fast otherwise.

Then there's the downside. The Vita decided that the PSP's major problem was that it was too easy to change out physical games. So they secured the port behind an annoying door, and made the carts tiny, hard to maneuver, and impossible to ever remember which way needed to be inserted. So on the Vita, I tend to leave a single cart in for a long time because it is such a pain to change carts. This doesn't hurt me much, because I only have like three games for the Vita that I actually play anyway.

That said, most of the PSClassics games like FFVII and such are only going to be available via download, so if that's what you're asking about, there really isn't much of a choice.

Ergroilnin
07-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the answers.

So now actually back to the actual topis of P4G.

I decided to start on Hard so the only difficulty left for New Game+ is Very Hard. So far I just got Chie in team and it's well... Actually Hard! Got one shotted so many times already (and only around half time was mine fault!). Is it getting easier later on? Original Persona 4 definitely did get easier later on and here with choosing the passing skills and skill cards it probably gets even easier right? Or is there actually some rebalance of the difficulty toward the end?

Don't take me wrong, I am used to mental self beating thanks to years playing Ragnarok Online. Just wanna know what's ahead of me.

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Enemies will get a lot tougher and they'll pull more nasty tricks on you, but with more Personas and skills opening up you'll have a lot of options as to how you'll be able to adapt.

Ergroilnin
07-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Well just done Yukiko's shadow and it was pretty brutal battle. According to wikia they upped her health from 1050 to 2500. No surprise it took almost half my items.

Ergroilnin
07-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Oh man I just reached the retro dungeon with Mitsuo. I forgot how awesome that one is, even the music is old school.

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Damn you're really powering through!

I loaded my new game plus file just yesterday. I'm gonna fight Bird Yukiko soon :v

Mirage
07-22-2014, 02:31 AM
birdiko
birdo?

Ergroilnin
07-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Oh wow I just saw the new scene in P4G with scooters and trip to the sea. Absolutely fantastic, I laughed really hard on that one. Totally looking forward to skiing later.

Jessweeee♪
07-23-2014, 05:04 AM
I just went online and watched what happens when Adachi's social link maxes on Jester for the first time. It would be cool if Persona 5 had more social links like that.

Ergroilnin
07-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Oh god these new scenes in Golden are really golden! Just saw the Junes concert one and it was also incredible. I must say I am so far really impressed with the enhancements of P4G over vanilla P4, I'm very satisfied with my purchase of Vita.

Skyblade
07-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Oh god these new scenes in Golden are really golden! Just saw the Junes concert one and it was also incredible. I must say I am so far really impressed with the enhancements of P4G over vanilla P4, I'm very satisfied with my purchase of Vita.

Yep, this was pretty much my reaction as well. P4G is just a really refined version of P4, with some awesome extra content added. The only thing they could have done better would be to bring back 3 types of physical attacks. This was the game that I got my Vita for, and I don't regret it.

Ergroilnin
07-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Eh as much as I love this game I got kind of burned out now at around 50 hours of gameplay, I am in the dungeon with Nanako.

I got some FF cravings now so I had to delete the P4G (backed up saves of course), so I could install FFIX and FFX. Damn you 8GB Vita Card! I seriously need to save up for the 64GB ASAP so i can actually switch between more than two games.

Mirage
07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Weakling

Ergroilnin
07-29-2014, 05:56 PM
:(

Mirage
07-29-2014, 05:58 PM
it's not too late, you can still redeem yourself

Ergroilnin
07-29-2014, 06:09 PM
No-can-do's-ville, baby doll.

Jessweeee♪
07-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Ooooh but then you won't get to the new dungeon :<

Ergroilnin
07-30-2014, 07:21 AM
I totally will, just later when I fulfill my FF craving.

Ergroilnin
12-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Well a kind of resurrection for the thread but I finished the game and I really loved every single expansion of the story and gameplay. Really satisfied with the game. When compared, the old Vanilla seems so much more empty without Adachi Link, Maria Link, all the events between Christmas and True ending and lastly the comeback during the summer holiday.

I immediately started NG+, tho this time I am going for all social links, quests, social links etc. Soloing with MC and Izanagi as well. Since I am skipping over all the text this time around, I decided to watch anime thorough the playthrough to even it out and I must say I am impressed.

Starting with the first P4 the animation I must say that objectively it's a bad anime for anyone who didn't play the game but god watching it while playing the game adds so much more depth and lulz to the story... I love it! Can't wait to catching up with P4G anime.