PDA

View Full Version : Approaching strangers

Pumpkin
07-11-2014, 01:36 PM
So sometime this year I'm supposed to approach someone at a book store and ask what they're reading. I'm also supposed to just hi-five some random person on the street. I chose these things to do to help me step out of my comfort zone, but I am of course terrified to do these things!

Are you good at approaching strangers? Do you do it often? Would you consider hi-fiving or even hugging a random person for funsies one day?

Mo-Nercy
07-11-2014, 02:10 PM
I've done the bookstore one before. A girl looked like she was really into a particular manga (to the point of audibly going "woah!" and omgeeing) so to satisfy my curiousity, I asked her what she was reading. It was Chobits. Which was a bit anticlimactic.

I've high-fived and hugged random people at the football. That moment of euphoria when someone scores or just after a big win does away with the awkwardness.

I could also imagine myself asking for a high-five on the streets and getting it rather easily. Probably a hug too. I'm pretty cuddly looking.

Shauna
07-11-2014, 03:19 PM
>Approaching anyone I am not 100% comfortable around

haha okay

Night Fury
07-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I used to be weird about it, but then I started a job where I HAD to do it, and once you do it like 8 hours a day 4 days a week it becomes pretty easy.

Pumpkin
07-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm much better at it when there's a purpose for it. If I don't have a specific purpose, I'm just super awkward.

Like we had an event in the town I lived in a few years back where people wore a 'Free Hugs" sign because one guy did it and it caught on and they made it a Free Hug Day. So that day I had no problem with it. It was like yay, free hugs! But just doing it our nowhere would feel kinda... weird

Araciel
07-11-2014, 04:01 PM
A stranger's just a friend you haven't met.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
I talk to strangers if I need help with directions.Or if they have a really cute dog. Or ... yeah.

It's so odd.. 9x out of 10, when I'm flying, I wind up talking to someone in my row for almost the length of the flight. If I'm not passed out in my seat, that is.

And sometimes I'll chat with the cashiers at Wal-Mart and Target for a bit.

I guess I'm really turning into my parents.. My dad chit chats with practically everyone when he's out and about.

But also, I've been working in restaurants for the better part of 6 years, so there's that.

metagloria
07-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Mama told me not to talk to strangers.

Seriously though I don't do this. I hate small talk and I'm socially awkward and I don't want to go meet people.

If I'm in a crowded place with very few people I know, I'll just end up standing off in the corner by myself waiting for someone to come talk to me. (Which, oddly enough, is how I met my wife.)

Shorty
07-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I think I get approached more than I actually approach, but I will approach people. I think that "approach" is maybe even too strong of a word - engaging in quick, casual conversation with a stranger is more like it. When I lived in California, I met a guy in my neighborhood getting out of a car that had Utah license plates on it. I commented on the fact that I'm from Utah, too, and we had a quick little chat and would always wave to eachother when we'd see eachother. It was a nice little stranger/acquaintance kind of friendship.

I often tell people at concerts and shows that I like their hair/outfit/shoes/think they look great. If I saw someone in a bookstore or movie store carrying something I liked, I would tell them. I usually chat to people at registers when checking out for coffee or something. Girls have forever been stopping me in restrooms (and even at a gas station once) to tell me that they like my hair. I've had comments on shoes and outfits from strangers. It's nice.

I do deal with social anxiety, but it doesn't bother me when it's just in passing with strangers, I guess. Locked into a specific social situation, though, like a gathering or party or bar or something where you're expected to be social is where it gets me. Unexpected social encounters or little passing engagements with strangers are usually pleasant.

escobert
07-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I really don't enjoy interacting with my friends let alone people I don't know.

Christmas
07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/yimcatholic/files/2013/06/Spock_performing_Vulcan_salute.jpg
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Zachary-Quinto-gives-Vulcan-salute-615x345.png

http://i.imgur.com/x5Jr8pD.jpg
http://www.whale.to/b/vulcan24.jpg
http://pmcmovieline.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/sthayden.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Leonard_Nimoy_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/090427/GAL-09Apr27-1939/media/PHO-09Apr27-160231.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xIsPQP-33_s/UgfZ96ZCX8I/AAAAAAAACk8/2Peh8_jZJK4/s1600/karlUrbanVulcanSalute.jpg

Alive-Cat
07-12-2014, 01:00 AM
I approach strangers and do nice/weird things when out a lot especially if everybody is drinking. On a normal day like say I'm walking to the shop to buy sweeties then no way! :nonono:

Formalhaut
07-12-2014, 01:21 AM
There's like this odd times where I get a sudden rush of bravery and manage to do it, but pretty much all other times I'm quite timid. Heck, I get my boyfriend to purchase the bus ticket from the bus driver because I don't want to ask him (same with ordering food as well).

I wish I could be more brave and ask strangers things and so on, but I'm quite scared of rejection and having the stranger go "um, who are you? Go away you weirdo" to me or something.

Shiny
07-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Almost hi-fived someone today for wearing a Power Rangers shirt and being over the age of twelve.

Ayen
07-12-2014, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty shy and reserved, so no. I don't do this. I'll talk if someone strike up a conversation with me, but I'll rarely be the one to start the conversation.

MissH
07-12-2014, 06:26 PM
My Mum wasn't wearing her glasses one day and thought she recognised an old man. She ran up to him and gave him several kisses on the cheek and it was only when she stepped back did she realise she didn't have a clue who he was! She carried on the pretence just to save face! Safe to say, the little old man played along too and was happy with his kisses! :blush:

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2014, 06:30 PM
^ I did something similar when air was in the hospital having my baby.. I was all jacked up on demerol and like epidural and leftover ambien fuzzies.. I looked at one of the nurses and asked her if she'd gone to one of my old high schools lol

Araciel
07-12-2014, 06:33 PM
So much drugz

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2014, 07:25 PM
All dem drugz and I still felt the horrible horrible pain that is labor.

Anywho.

Vyk
07-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Strangers give you candy

Also, if you're going to a book store wanting to inter-act with strangers, I say go with what Mo-Nercy mentioned. The manga and graphic novel sections typically have friendly nerd folk more than happy to educate anyone willing to listen, about all the love they have in literature and fiction and stuff

Pumpkin
07-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I almost did the hi-five today. Almost. But I chickened out

fire_of_avalon
07-13-2014, 03:25 AM
I work with people and always have, so I'm pretty good with strangers for about five minutes. And then I sink into this horrible conversational lull and can't dig back out and neither can they so we just stand and look at our feet or drinks or off in the distance until we think of an excuse to get away.

Shaibana
07-14-2014, 02:04 PM
i guess i am like you in that way. i would not feel comfortable doing stuff like that and i would feel awkward to talk to strangers without a purpose.
in would love to take up your challenge of high-fiving a random stranger but i dont have the guts yet

Cloudane
07-14-2014, 02:42 PM
I wish. Well, it takes time to build up the courage, anyway.

I am in another fandom in addition to FF (doesn't take much guessing, I'm just trying not to rub it in faces :p) and to use it as an example, it's a fandom that is HUGE on the internet but in the grand, real world scheme of things is just small enough that the chances of spotting another fan in the real world (particularly one keen enough to want to be spotted) are rather slim... but just large and enthusiastic enough that you might. The chance is like a locked achievement in the mind, and we end up on the eternal search for a wild, form of fist bump, where someone random recognises your shared obsessioninterest (probably via some t-shirt or cap or whatever) and approaches you.

And you know what, it's amazing, I live in a small English town, pop. ~70,000, never thought I'd see another fan here in a million years.
I've seen two. I saw them in the space of two weeks. (omgoshomgoshomgoshomgoshomgoshetc)
What did I do on each occasion? Go over and say "Well well, aren't you 20% cooler! Nice to meet you!" and unlock the achievement I'm after, and perhaps make a friend? Hahaha, no. It played out more like
"Whoa, is that.. nah can't be.. no it is! Maybe I should.. oh I don't know, it'd be silly really and they seem to be busy going somewhere. But then... maybe... oh, they've gone. Oh well."

I think approaching people requires a level of courage that is gained quickly, as having to build it often requires a greater reaction time than the potential encounter allows for.

blackmage_nuke
07-14-2014, 03:16 PM
I only hifive strangers if were wearing a jersey for the same team

Shiny
07-15-2014, 01:34 AM
This reminds me...the free hugs people are the worse. Seriously, get away! I would absolutely never hug a random person. Never. Even if they're crying and I feel bad for them. Not even then. Even if it would some how save their life. Not even then. I have such a phobia of b.o. and sweat I will only hug people I know have good hygiene and of course I would have to know that they have a good track record of that. Also Mexican Elmo tried to hug me once, but I literally ran away. Hells no. Not even if you're in a furry suit. No, just no. Actually, especially if you're in a furry suit.

Mirage
07-15-2014, 04:03 AM
So sometime this year I'm supposed to approach someone at a book store and ask what they're reading. I'm also supposed to just hi-five some random person on the street. I chose these things to do to help me step out of my comfort zone, but I am of course terrified to do these things!

Are you good at approaching strangers? Do you do it often? Would you consider hi-fiving or even hugging a random person for funsies one day?

I'm good at doing those things you describe

when I am drunk

Cloudane
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Thinking about it, pretty sure I have things correct. Chasing after someone to greet them for some shared interest is most likely going into weirdo territory, and inhibitions are sometimes there for the good of mankind. I'm well aware that I tread the line between obsessive about a thing (it's always been something over the years) and annoying about it, and try not to be that weird guy that crosses it :)

I'd have a hard time with free hugs as well, simply because it'd either happen here in this small town and be indicative of either a drunk person or the village idiot, or it'd happen in a city and I'd be suspicious that they're trying to distract me while they or an accomplice picks my pocket. I'm far from a negative/cynical person, and I like the concept, but far far too nervous for something like that.

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:48 AM

No, no, no and no.

I just want to be left alone! :cry:

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Busy escalators are what you need for high fives with strangers. Make sure they're close enough, packed (I hear subways are good for this in some cities) and then just hold your hand up and wait for the high fives. You can get loads if you get a really busy period! To some people you will look kind of silly but for everyone who was involved in said high five session, you all share that knowledge that you are superior to those people who probably wouldn't know fun if it hit them in the face.

Pumpkin
07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion BoB :jess:

If only I wasn't afraid of escalators ;_;

Christmas
07-24-2014, 05:32 PM

No, no, no and no.

I just want to be left alone! :cry:

http://www.funhappyquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/happy-quotes-1363.jpg