PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Eating

Freya
07-11-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm trying to change my eating habits. I eat way too many breads, starches, and sugars. So i've been trying to eat better.

This morning for breakfast, instead of having a bagel, I had egg salad and ham wrapped in lettuce. For lunch I had a Salad and Cauliflower and Onion Soup I made last night.

What steps are you taking to eat healthier? And do you have any healthier eating tips? Any tasty but healthy recipes?

Shorty
07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Now that my no sugar month is over, I'm still keeping my sugar count low. No soda, no snacking. Fresh or frozen vegetables, fruits, chicken or seafood, cheese and water is pretty much all I consume.

I have started eating a little bit more carbs, though, I just love tortillas so damn much ;-; Last night I had a garden spinach tortilla with chicken, jalapeno and Mexican cheese, avocado, pico de gallo, sautéed mushrooms, and then a spinach salad with sweet onion dressing, feta, and chunky sliced tomato pieces. It was so good!

Freya
07-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Oooo. That sounds delicious. I just discovered that Avocados aren't going to kill me. So I'm trying to figure out ways to eat them. So that sounds delicious!

escobert
07-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Avocados are really good for you! I just try and buy better products. I still eat lots of breads meats and dairy but I try to buy local. I haven't been a big soda drinker in years and have never had much of a sweet tooth so I've never had issues with sugar. I'd say probably my 2 cups of coffee every morning are by biggest sugar things since I can't stand black coffee! Veggies are a bit harder since I'm picky and living in the climate I do things vary a lot from season to season for whats available locally.

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2014, 02:35 AM
corn tortillas are like 1/4 the carbs and calories for 1 serving... which= 2 tortillas. around 100 cals and 10 or less grams of carbs.

I just gorged on a chicken salad panini and steamed veggies. Come Monday, I'm really cracking down on stuff. .. Really following strict Paleo , etc.

Cloudane
07-12-2014, 03:17 AM
A balance of protein, carbs, fat, fruit and veg :)
Fruit and veg are the hardest, but I have found that once you get into a habit of eating them, eventually you acquire the taste. It's like if you only try beer once you may end up hating it, but let it "grow on you" and it becomes an "organic" beereventually you may love it.

Night Fury
07-12-2014, 05:17 AM
I think just making a conscious effort to add more green things to your plate is a good start! Eating healthy doesn't mean having to deprive yourself of delicious things! Just have them as a treat instead of a constant snack! You'll like them more when they're a treat too!

My favourite healthy dish is some baked salmon, cooked with some fennel, sea salt, and maybe chilli and just baked for about 10 minutes, served with some roasted or grilled asparagus and spinach salad!

Did you know that adding fruit like pomegranate or apple to salad can be totally tasty? throw in some pine nuts too and you have a cracking salad! I also love snacking on boiled eggs.... Yumm!!! :)

Cloudane
07-12-2014, 11:42 AM
I accidentally 2 bags of nuts and a few too many beers last night - alcohol gives the munchies :p

But I automatically know to get a ton of exercise today to make up. And nuts aren't too bad as they're healthy fats.

escobert
07-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Ya'll seafood lovers should be watchful of where your seafood comes from. I personally wouldn't eat anything from the pacific right now with Fukashima spewing radiation into there like it's nobodies business.

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
I have to cut out carbs as much as possible. 30 is literally right around the corner and I've got to figure out what is going to work for me what with my metabolism having slowed down down a lot.. I'm not 21 anymore. I can't eat whatever and a drink a case of beer and still maintain 135 lbs.

I'm already a huge veggie person and eat tons of them and I avoid bread for the most part, but I really need to buckle down, get on a decent sleep schedule again, and start eating regularly instead of once or twice in the afternoon/evening and bingeing on stuff late at night.

Araciel
07-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Nope.

When I was, it was mostly about the amount of things I ate. Also lots of veg and shit. I dropped about 30 lbs in two months that way.

Shiny
07-15-2014, 02:00 AM
My diet consists of little to no dairy. Absolutely no cheese. Sometimes I had cheese with my salad, but that hasn't been for months now. Only dairy I have is yogurt and the occasional dairy I have with my tea, but no whole milk. I eat a high protein meal because if I don't I will be rail thin and frail. It consists of egg whites, lots of meats, but no red meat. I stopped eating pork and I will only rarely have beef now. When I tried to have pork bacon I threw up. Even the smell of it cooking made me throw up once.

So I substituted pork and beef entrees for turkey. Also I eat a lot of seafood -- at least two times a week, because the Omega fats have good properties for my bones which helps since I have arthritic pains. I do have sugar, but not a disproportional amount usually or else my face will break out. I don't drink soda. I only have juice, water, tea, or a light coffee.

I've found that extracting soda out of my diet, eating less pasta, drinking more water, and having more seafood has helped the most. I typically only get my seafood organically, or I get it in the middle of the week otherwise I know it's been sitting out all weekend. More so for the ladies, but I make it mandatory to drink non-cocktail sugarless, cranberry juice every week as it helps with my lady bits. I already ate a lot of veggies so I feel like that's not really a huge change for me. I love almost every vegetable, even beets and I can tolerate squash if it's in a soup. Lastly I rarely drink, and this is probably the biggest thing and why I am able to maintain my weight. If I drink it's a once or twice and then not again until like months later occurrence.

Ayen
07-25-2014, 03:04 AM
I have a woefully small intake of fiber in my diet that I want to get up to the recommended average of 20 - 35 grams as soon as possible, in a house that has less and less of it everywhere I look. I can't help but get the feeling that eating healthier is going to cost more than we can afford, but hopefully I'm wrong about that. If all else fails I may have to copy my dad's diet. He has a lot of vegetables and fruits he eats all the time.

And I'm gonna have to cut back on... *sniff* I'm gonna have to *sniff* *sniff* cut back on soda. *cries*

Aulayna
07-26-2014, 12:24 PM
I stopped drinking Soda, it was surprisingly easy really. The first couple of weeks I had to mentally stop myself reaching for it.

Occasionally I might get really bad cravings for one, particularly on hot days, but with Coca Cola especially I actually find that I don't even like the taste of it anymore.

Cutting Soda out did wonders for my... number 2 regularity too.

Edit: This was my dinner I cooked last night:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/p526x296/1964856_10152617830874708_5973335888863148901_n.jpg

noxious.sunshine
07-26-2014, 04:03 PM
What is that?

Freya
07-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I used to add sugar to every cup of coffee, now i just need creamer and I can't take sugar!

Shorty
07-26-2014, 06:30 PM
When I'm going soda-free, the only time I really really crave it is when I'm dehydrated. If you make a point of chugging water often, you might be able to avoid cravings!

Aulayna
07-26-2014, 08:44 PM
What is that?

Tomato, Basil and Paprika coated chicken. Roasted red and yellow peppers with roasted onions. On top of a bed of gem lettuce, with a tomato on the side.

Jess
07-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Switch out simple carbs for complex carbs. I've switched out white bread for brown bread, and now only have bread on weekends. I have wraps for lunch instead of sandwiches, or salad.

I've switched out white rice for brown rice and I don't see what all the fuss is about. It pretty much tastes the same.

Potatoes with skins on, baked in the oven.

Water water water. Drinking at least 1.5litres a day.

Making sure to have breakfast. Eating more veggies and fruit. Less sweeties and chocolate - only having these at the weekend.