PDA

View Full Version : Attention: EoFF Facebook Users

Jinx
07-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I've just made a new Facebook, so if you get a friend request from Vivienne SanDiego with a buddy Jesus avatar, don't be surprised.

(Best way to still use FB and not have family drama).

How has Facebook affected your offline relationships?

Shauna
07-11-2014, 09:02 PM
It hasn't. :3

I am glad you posted this somewhere because I was like "Who the heck"

Freya
07-11-2014, 09:07 PM
It's never affected my offline relationships until recently with that one family :stare:

Shorty
07-11-2014, 09:10 PM
It hasn't really affected my offline relationships. My conservative family is bothered by my rampant liberalism, but I don't care. :jess:

Pumpkin
07-11-2014, 09:22 PM
It used to because my ex was a jerk but now it really has no effect

Shauna
07-11-2014, 09:33 PM
What is your deal, woman.

Cloudane
07-11-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't post my real name on forums because googleable spelling (my natural SEO skillz are a curse), but I follow the EoFF page and utilise Dragonborn Fluttershy as a pic. Same with Twitter :P

FB hasn't particularly been a negative for me (apart from them collecting and selling all my personal data and habits (http://action.sumofus.org/a/Facebook-selling-user-data/5/2/?sub=fb)) it's enabled me as a combination of shy, introverted and antisocial (not sure of the ratio) to have a bit of a social connection with people from work, a few old classmates, and a relative. It can get a little weird sometimes as I think we tend to normally show different facets of our personalities and interests to different people as is relevant - and with FB end up geeking out on Final Fantasy and MLP and whatever in front of aunts and colleagues and sharing some work crap with internet buddies :P It's also sort of liberating, though, as you eventually stop worrying about all that and just be yourself and if things are irrelevant to certain people, tough.

It can be a pain sometimes in that it has IM now (which accepts messages even when you have it turned off, creating the same expectations with the sender) and I'm not good with IM. I don't like being tied down for hours at a time talking to one person (there's my antisocial side), but am too polite to easily take my leave without making up an excuse and then having to follow the 'story' through..

Shorty
07-11-2014, 09:46 PM
What is your deal, woman.

Crazy family and the need to not be on Facebook with them, but then there are so many people I want on Facebook. :(

Did you delete them? Why go back to your old account? xD

Pike
07-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Good lord MySpace and LiveJournal didn't even exist when I was 15 you guys make me feel old

Facebook has not affected my offline relationships; the only issues are that sometimes internet/EoFF people like to say lewd things in my comments and then I have to quickly go edit the status to a filtered one so my grandparents and little sisters don't see them THANKS GUYS*, but other than that I'm good. I don't even post much and 90% of what I post are quizzes anyway.

* first person to rush over and do this as a joke is getting unfriended

escobert
07-12-2014, 12:42 AM
I've had girlfriends be really jealous and cause drama. I'll like a picture or a post from one of my old calls mates and they'd get all pissy and accuse me of cheating or something.

Alive-Cat
07-12-2014, 12:44 AM
I deleted my Facebook like 3/4 months ago, mainly I was just really unhappy, and it actually annoyed me seeing people being happy and living their lives. Not that I didn't want them to! It just made me jealous and sit there feeling sorry for myself. I'm looking forward to making a new one at some point when my new life can publicly begin :greenie:

Ayen
07-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Where in the world is Vivienne SanDiego?

Facebook hasn't affected my offline relationships. Then again, the family members I have on there aren't as crazy as some of the others I know. Thankfully, the craziest ones don't use Facebook.

Formalhaut
07-12-2014, 12:53 AM
I make it a rule never to have family on Facebook. Many of them do, I just ignore them. I think one of them was blocked at one point in time.

So Jinx, what was the inspiration behind the name?

Christmas
07-12-2014, 02:34 AM
What happened online stays online. :shifty:

Sephex
07-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Oh, that was you earlier? Sorry I didn't accept, though the point is moot now. I wasn't sure who you were and was planning to ask Sarah since she was a mutual friend at the time, but I got sidetracked and forgot.

Cloudane
07-12-2014, 03:11 AM
I will admit, if anyone's tried to add me and I've not known who they are, there's every chance I'd have declined. Too many spammer adds ><

Good lord MySpace and LiveJournal didn't even exist when I was 15 you guys make me feel old

When I was 15, the internet was just a wee babby! It definitely didn't have Myspace yet. Give that another 5-10 years.. #old

Shorty
07-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Oh, that was you earlier? Sorry I didn't accept, though the point is moot now. I wasn't sure who you were and was planning to ask Sarah since she was a mutual friend at the time, but I got sidetracked and forgot.

Everyone comes to me to ask who everyone else is on facebook xD

Pheesh
07-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Facebook is fine. So long as you never post, send messages or share links. It works for me.

Colonel Angus
07-12-2014, 04:24 AM

Your an expert on these things.

I never have any issues on facebook, because I just let people post stupid shit & say nothing about it. Oh, how I wish I could just tear them a new mudhole! Alas, I'm too kind.

Christmas
07-12-2014, 04:33 AM
親切な人

Aelitalily
07-12-2014, 06:12 AM
I created a new facebook when I left my ex for personal reasons. I tried really hard with my new account to be more selective with the people I add... but one by one people send my friend requests (mostly work colleagues) and I don't want to be rude and not add them when I have added another.... LOL

I don't like having "friends" on facebook I don't really consider friends.

What I do these days is set up "custom" posts for sharing things with peoples I actually care about, and pretty much ignore the rest (hopefully they will never know!) :3

Sephex
07-12-2014, 06:15 AM

You were literally the only mutual friend.

SO STOP FEELING SPECIAL!!!!! > : (

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2014, 06:22 AM
I've just made a new Facebook, so if you get a friend request from Vivienne SanDiego with a buddy Jesus avatar, don't be surprised.

(Best way to still use FB and not have family drama).

How has Facebook affected your offline relationships?

Now you know why I don't have my real last name or birth date on my profile and it's completely private except for friends. I didn't wanna be found.

.... I have a second account though 'cuz my dad guilt tripped me into "making one" (*dies*) .. That fool never even posts anything anymore. I'm mad now. lol

Jessweeee♪
07-12-2014, 06:23 AM
I just put family I don't want stalking me on a restricted list. They think they have access to my stuff and that's enough to keep them from guilt tripping me about it :p

Shorty
07-12-2014, 03:35 PM

You were literally the only mutual friend.

SO STOP FEELING SPECIAL!!!!! > : (

Never :jess:

Araciel
07-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Lolol jealous girlfriends...ex girlfriends... monitor mine like a hawk.

Shiny
07-13-2014, 03:16 AM
Lolol jealous girlfriends...monitor mine like a hawk.

I would imagine they would because you have multiple girlfriends apparently.

Only one time did it ever cause a problem and I rectified it quickly. Basically one of my family members for some reason said I posted all my personal info from my passport on FB even though it was literally just the cover of the passport. She went and told my mom and my mom was like "omg no what are doing" and I had to be all "chill b".

I deleted that family member because of that and because I sent her a sweet message before all that happened and she read it but never responded. smurfing bitch. I'm cool enough with all my other family members on my feed and it's mostly just cousins and aunts who are fairly young, so they're cool.

My mom is on my FB but she just has it to save my pictures so that she can print them out and put them around her house and to check her horoscope.

I have an informant I'm aware of who shows my dad things too that I post but I could a smurf less because I don't post anything ridiculous. I don't make drama on my FB so hence why it's drama less. ;)

Shlup
07-13-2014, 03:28 AM
I learned about Facebook's "acquaintance" and "restricted" lists just a few days ago, and it's wonderful. There's a lot on Facebook I do like seeing, but there have been a few occasions where people have posted things that really change how I view them. For example, my dad and I talk far less than we did before I found out he's a massive bigot, and I just plain feel uncomfortable around his brother, who was always the "fun uncle" growing up.

Freya
07-13-2014, 04:14 AM
I learned very recently to ignore people who will cause drama on OTHER peoples pages.

I typically don't have too much of an issue. And if people or family, like I mentioned earlier, get upset, I usually just ignore it. Unless they throw fits outside of facebook and cause my life to be troubled.

Araciel
07-13-2014, 05:32 AM
Lolol jealous girlfriends...monitor mine like a hawk.

I would imagine they would because you have multiple girlfriends apparently.

I'm crazy, not stupid. Serial monogamy leaves casualties.

Jessweeee♪
07-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Only one time did it ever cause a problem and I rectified it quickly. Basically one of my family members for some reason said I posted all my personal info from my passport on FB even though it was literally just the cover of the passport. She went and told my mom and my mom was like "omg no what are doing" and I had to be all "chill b".

This is part of why I have my family on a more restricted list. Once I posted a quote from The Producers while watching it with a friend: "I'm not going into the toilet. I'm going into showbusiness!" tagged my friend and the movie blah blah. My mom comments "I hope you're joking." I get messages from all these people/family I've never met but they allegedly changed my diaper once or twice when I was a baby telling me how acting isn't a very wise career choice. Like gawd

Mirage
07-13-2014, 11:51 AM
My adulter-than-me family members don't use facebook, and the rest of them are pretty all right.

Mirage
07-13-2014, 11:53 AM
plz add me too btw jinx i couldn't search you up

Vyk
07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
I have everyone on facebook. If they don't get along well then whatever. I don't let drama dictate my life. But then again, I don't really care about what anyone says or does on facebook. I barely use it. And if anyone annoys me, I either tell facebook to stop giving me their updates. Or tell it not to let them see my updates. Whichever works best. If very desperate, I have little qualms about unfriending someone completely

Jess
07-13-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't really have people from online on my Facebook, except a very small handful of people. The rest of my friends list is all friends, family, work colleagues and people I went to school with. If anything, it's useful for offline relationships. Some of my family live quite far away, so it's a good way to stay in touch and see what's going on in their lives. It hasn't affected my offline relationships negatively in any way. Everybody on my Facebook either knows me well enough or I don't really care what they think. :jess:

Psychotic
07-13-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't have a Facebook and neither do my family so it's caused precisely 0 problems. :shobon: I get that it's a great way to find out about people's lives, but then it's also a great way to find out they just went to the gym, just ate a sandwich or happen to like this image macro from 2009. I find that just straight up talking to people lets me find out about their lives without any of the inane stuff.

To each their own though, I wouldn't judge anyone for using it... though I get a hell of a lot of funny looks for saying I don't use it. It's come full circle now though, when people give me grief I say "It's 2014 bro. Who uses Facebook now other than grandmas :smug: What's your snapchat?" and that's that really.

Pike
07-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Not gonna lie, the only reason I have a Facebook is to keep in touch with family members who are a billion miles away. I didn't use it at all while we were all still in the same household, but now that my siblings are moving out and my parents are divorced (lol) and we're all spread out through several states I've started using it.

If my family wasn't on it I probably wouldn't be either!

Colonel Angus
07-13-2014, 07:33 PM
You're ahead of the curve, Psychotic, just like Hipster Kitty. :p

There's one thing I don't do that Jess does on FB is have work people on it. I do have one girl, because she's just awesome & one other I used to work w/. Other than that, I try to keep work & Facebook apart. My workplace doesn't need to know all my likes & dislikes.

Since I tend to not share too much super personal stuff, I have plenty of online friends from another place I frequent. It's the 21st century, a lot of friendships are & will be forged via the web. It's a lot harder to find people w/ similar interests irl than it is online.

BTW, I am in the EoFF group, if anyone wants to add me...

Jess
07-13-2014, 07:58 PM
You're ahead of the curve, Psychotic, just like Hipster Kitty. :p

There's one thing I don't do that Jess does on FB is have work people on it. I do have one girl, because she's just awesome & one other I used to work w/. Other than that, I try to keep work & Facebook apart. My workplace doesn't need to know all my likes & dislikes.

Since I tend to not share too much super personal stuff, I have plenty of online friends from another place I frequent. It's the 21st century, a lot of friendships are & will be forged via the web. It's a lot harder to find people w/ similar interests irl than it is online.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't have a ton of work people on there! Just people I would consider friends. :jess:

Scotty_ffgamer
07-14-2014, 02:35 AM
I really don't post much on facebook at all unless I want to try to share and promote something a friend is doing. Otherwise, I'll occasionally quote or post a funny video to a couple of friends.

I just message back and forth with friends I can't talk to much otherwise. Even that isn't happening much anymore really. So, I don't really experience drama on there. There hasn't been any "drama" there directed to me since high school, and that was after my girlfriend at the time and I broke up. Internet had been down at my house and then I went on a trip to a church camp or something like that, so I hadn't changed my relationship status. Got back from camp to messages from her seeing that my status said I was in a relationship and she was really upset that I was already in a relationship or something. A bunch of messages like that and then one final one saying "oh, you are out of town. My bad. Sorry." Fun stuff.

Shiny
07-14-2014, 06:27 AM
I don't have a Facebook and neither do my family so it's caused precisely 0 problems. :shobon: I get that it's a great way to find out about people's lives, but then it's also a great way to find out they just went to the gym, just ate a sandwich or happen to like this image macro from 2009. I find that just straight up talking to people lets me find out about their lives without any of the inane stuff.
Of course as you have other means of stalking people.

Christmas
07-14-2014, 10:37 AM

I wanna add you!!! I wanna add you!!! Add!! Add!! Add!!! :kaoclove:

Facebookの上で大佐を追加

Cloudane
07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
One thing I find amusing there, and it's quite true because I think most of us just genuinely want people to be happy, whether they're with someone or not, and if they seem to be indicating "this change is good" (happy picture) then we're supportive. But there are one or two where this happens

*changes profile picture to them and partner*
109 people like this

*changes profile picture to them alone*
109 people like this

Repeat ad nauseum as their on/off relationship goes on and off every few weeks :p
Thing is, it makes sense. Of course you want a profile to be truthful, and people do have on/off things as they figure things out. Though I can't help wondering if unstable relationships warrant some kind of delayed Facebook update action.

Formalhaut
07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
plz add me too btw jinx i couldn't search you up

I tried searching too and ended up finding this:

"Vivienne's Homes for Hope and Healing"

Interesting...

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
A lot of people have added me on Facebook lately. I'm not sure why since I am dreadfully boring on FB. At least on Twitter I'm vaguely interesting.

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Facebook allows me to...

1. Post photos in a nice easy to use format that most of my friends can see.
2. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell.
2a. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's leaders.
2b. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's gardeners.
3. Keep up with family at the other end of the world.
4. Keep up with friends from high school.
5. Keep up with friends from work.
6. Keep up with friends from Danielle's work.
7. Keep up with EoFFers.
8. Keep up with old EoFFers that don't frequent EoFF anymore, occasionally dragging them back to EoFF.
9. Keep up with old friends like ex-neighbours and ex-workmates and ex-holiday-peoples and whatnot.
10. Get to know all of the above people better.
11. Send links and reminders to Danielle.
12. Keep up with EoFF's articles and whatnot.
13. Promote EoFF.
14. Organise people ahead of, during or after meetups/parties/whatever.

As for the whole "urgh family" thing, don't you guys set up groups for family/EoFF/work/etc? If I don't want someone to see something I don't let them see it. :p

Pike
07-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I don't understand "urgh family", family is the entire reason I have a Facebook in the first place. xD

Cloudane
07-24-2014, 02:26 PM
What I don't really like is the relatively new "live stream" of everything that everyone is liking and commenting on. Which if I'm not mistaken, follows the privacy rules of whatever the source post is, and can't be turned off. Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?
Woah, man. These are deep questions you're asking here.

jodymcdougle
07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
facebook has caused a little bit of problems in my personal life. nothing to serious though. some people that I didn't know well getting into my business and telling other people. just gossip type of stuff. wouldn't have ever been a problem if I didn't put it out there, I guess. but I didn't know that people could be such instigators that I knew in my personal life. guess I could call it life experience...? :)

Christmas
07-24-2014, 04:37 PM
A lot of people have added me on Facebook lately. I'm not sure why since I am dreadfully boring on FB. At least on Twitter I'm vaguely interesting.

It's another channel to keep in touch with you in case you disappeared from EoFF!!! People like to keep in touch with Auntie Pike. :bigsmile:

Facebook allows me to...

2. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell.
2a. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's leaders.
2b. Keep up to date with the Fat Chocobos Free Company & Linkshell's gardeners.
3. Keep up with family at the other end of the world.
4. Keep up with friends from high school.
5. Keep up with friends from work.
6. Keep up with friends from Danielle's work.
7. Keep up with EoFFers.
8. Keep up with old EoFFers that don't frequent EoFF anymore, occasionally dragging them back to EoFF.
9. Keep up with old friends like ex-neighbours and ex-workmates and ex-holiday-peoples and whatnot.

I am curious, do you actually group all of them in your FB like that? Because to me, I read it as

Keep up to date with happenings in Fat Chocobo Free Company & Linkshell
Keep up with friends
Keep up with Eoffers

What I don't really like is the relatively new "live stream" of everything that everyone is liking and commenting on. Which if I'm not mistaken, follows the privacy rules of whatever the source post is, and can't be turned off. Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?

If you like it, why hide it? :shifty:

facebook has caused a little bit of problems in my personal life. nothing to serious though. some people that I didn't know well getting into my business and telling other people. just gossip type of stuff. wouldn't have ever been a problem if I didn't put it out there, I guess. but I didn't know that people could be such instigators that I knew in my personal life. guess I could call it life experience...? :)

Some people just want to get attention from anywhere, like from the misery of others. :(

I know people having to "escape" from their own country to seek asylum in another country because of FB. :(

Loony BoB
07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I am curious, do you actually group all of them in your FB like that? Because to me, I read it as

Keep up to date with happenings in Fat Chocobo Free Company & Linkshell
Keep up with friends
Keep up with Eoffers
I have a Facebook page for Fat Chocobos and an ongoing group chat with Fat Chocobos on Facebook. I have additional Facebook chats for the leaders of the Fat Chocobos and for the gardeners of the Fat Chocobos.

I have separate groups that I include/exclude on many of my status updates which vary depending on what the update is about. The groups include Work, EoFF, Family, Extended Family, Danielle's Family, Edinburgh and the more generic Other. =]

I separate all of thsoe things because they are all separate in my life... it's extremely rare that people from my work, Danielle's work, our non-work pals, EoFFers, family etc. will cross paths. They're all select kind of groups... so I see Facebook as a one stop shop for talking to a lot of different kind of people and keeping up with them, or catching up with them after a period of absence. In the end, I don't see any real downsides to Facebook for a social media site. I think it's about as versatile and productive as they can be. I'm not a "OMG FACEBOOK ERRY MOMENT" kind of guy, but I feel it's important to (and I'll quote Baz here) "work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young."

Parker
07-24-2014, 09:20 PM
I use facebook and put silly statuses and photos up but i would be happy without it. its pretty redundant and i don't care about 90% of what happens but there are people I talk to via fb chat that I simply wouldnt talk to otherwise. also there's the whole thing where no one tells people their life events anymore. "uhm yea asshole i got married 4 months ago why didnt you know the pics are on facebook"

Cloudane
07-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Do I really need the world to know that I "liked" Joe's status about having his finger up his butt?
Woah, man. These are deep questions you're asking here.

Depends how deep his finger was!

If you like it, why hide it? :shifty:

People gossip! "Have you seen that status he 'liked'? Eee, I wonder what else he likes up there"

And then there are employers - "oh yeah. I bet that's all HE does all day as well"

~*~Celes~*~
07-25-2014, 04:48 PM
The only reason i keep my facebook is for the people on here that Im friends with, the people i work with that I know i can trust and who I enjoy working with, and people i went to school with who are pretty neat. Also for pictures and videos of my son for my family members but after a stupid mistake on my part that lead to my in-laws jumping down my throat, I won't be doing that anymore :)

Parker
07-26-2014, 05:11 PM
how is it not that simple tho

Denmark
07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
thought i'd jump in with my opinion here

i don't like facebook

Værn
08-01-2014, 06:56 AM
I keep a facebook tab open for two reasons:
1) To watch for posts in a group that a few of my friends and I use to schedule game nights
2) To relentlessly poke Pike and shion
I may also make a random comment once in a blue moon, but I generally don't pay much attention to facebook at all.
Anyway, where's that friend request at? :bigsmile:

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Ugh you are awful with the poking

Shorty
08-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Do people still poke? PG used to poke me like fifty times a day.

Pumpkin
08-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Vaern never sleeps and the second you poke him, he will pose you back. The very second

Formalhaut
08-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Værn never sleeps and the second you poke him, he will pose you back. The very second

I'm somewhat concerned.

Cloudane
08-01-2014, 11:41 PM
I have over 150 pokes with one of my contacts XD
And we barely use FB!

Colonel Angus
08-02-2014, 12:20 AM
I haven't used a poke in maybe 5 years.

Kalevala
08-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Poking is such a mom thing to do. The only people who poke me are mothers.

Pumpkin
08-02-2014, 05:11 AM
:colbert:

I'm a cool mom, my boyfriend said so! (no he didn't ;~;)

Cloudane
08-03-2014, 01:47 AM

Don't knock it, you've got to take what you can get!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-03-2014, 10:07 AM
So many things on this page alone I could put in the quotes out of context thread.

Ayen
08-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Oh, Daniel. If it was as simple as "don't let your family see certain stuff you post on Facebook!" I would've done that a long time ago.

You can decide who sees your status messages from the drop down menu next to post. Just click on that, go down to custom and type your family names into the "Don't share with this" box and hit "save changes." Facebook will save it and your family won't be able to see those messages until you change it, or they're peering over your shoulder for some reason.

Colonel Angus
08-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Oh, Daniel. If it was as simple as "don't let your family see certain stuff you post on Facebook!" I would've done that a long time ago.

You can decide who sees your status messages from the drop down menu next to post. Just click on that, go down to custom and type your family names into the "Don't share with this" box and hit "save changes." Facebook will save it and your family won't be able to see those messages until you change it, or they're peering over your shoulder for some reason.

Yeah, except, the problem is that it isn't what I AM posting on Facebook. The problem is what I'm NOT posting on Facebook. Kind of crazy, right? :p
What exactly do they want you to post there? If you don't mind me asking.

Colonel Angus
08-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Oh, they want me to like or comment on stuff. We've also had a problem with them inviting me to events and me either not responding or responding no (when I'm not coming, but they want me to say 'yes' to show moral support).
I'm going to play armchair psychiatrist & say they have low self esteem. They need your approval for any thought they have. I mean, who wants someone to say "Yes" to an event they know they aren't going to make? To me, it seems they want you to say "Yes" so you'd feel obligated to go.

One way to go, just respond yes, no matter what. Don't show up. Even if you want to. If they want you to comment on something that you disagree w/ in particular, flame them. In fact, if you do agree w/ them, play devil's advocate. Become the worst Facebook friend they have. Maybe they'll block you. IDK if that's the best way, but it could be fun.

Kalevala
08-03-2014, 07:22 PM

Don't knock it, you've got to take what you can get!

I didn't say I was knocking it. ;)