PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Endings

DarkBahamut
07-12-2014, 07:59 AM
What do you guys think of the idea of choosing the way the story unfolds almost?
Like you get to choose a path, but you don't know what it leads to, but you still are making the choice.

I would love to see alternate endings in more Final Fantasys.

Like imagine if there was a perk to letting Aeris die and a perk to saving her or something like that.
I think it would really be a ROLE-playing game if you had different consequences.

What if you could actually let the missiles hit Balamb Garden in FF8? I don't have a full idea, but I'm trying to express I would enjoy seeing different plots due to your decisions.

Ayen
07-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Basically what you would get in Mass Effect if you decide to save the council or let them perish in the first game. Or when you choose to join the Dark Side or stick to the Light in Star Wars: KoTOR. It wouldn't hurt, but I can't say I feel strongly about it either way.

VeloZer0
07-12-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm generally not a fan of branching storyline, which usually puts a damper on multiple endings. In certain circumstances they can be good, but only when as an added bonus for a little variety not because the games narrative doesn't have a definitive culmination.

Karifean
07-12-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm actually quite a fan of branching storylines when done right. I could see the game giving you a choice in Zanarkand in FFX. When Yunalesca asks you to choose who will be the Final Aeon, I could see being able to give any of the party members' names for an answer and "No one" being the last choice. Obviously the latter would continue the story as it is, and the others would go on for a bit (without save points mind you) and then end in a bad end as the cycle of death goes unbroken after Yuna's sacrifice.

Things like that. It would strengthen the feeling of being in a desperate situation with little chance to escape it, which to me at least would strengthen the immersion as well. There's something about going down story paths you choose yourself that makes it feel more connected to you.

Jinx
07-12-2014, 02:11 PM
I both really like and dislike this. On one hand, you've got a lot more freedom and choice, and your actions and characters seem closer to you for that very reason. It makes the story a much more personal one. On the other hand, you miss out on other things and it would require you to play through the game again and know the specific choices you must make to see other events or endings. So I guess I can take it or leave it!

Psychotic
07-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I like it to an extent, but then I'm not a fan of how X-2 did it. Oh, you didn't talk to a random old man in the depths of an underground mansion about Tidus so now he can never be revived. Silly you! That was ridiculous.

Pumpkin
07-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I like it so long as it isn't too complicated. I don't want to have to sit with a guide on my lap because I don't want to watch my character get violently killed by a psycho, which, believe it or not has been an issue in the past.

It can be a fun aspect, especially if its a game you love, you can replay it different ways and keep discovering different elements of it

Christmas
07-13-2014, 03:03 PM
It will be cool!!! Like Cloud decided to stop pursuing Sephiroth and work in the Honey Bee Inn or a Janitor in the Shinra Toilet. Awesome I will say! :bigsmile:

Mirage
07-13-2014, 03:17 PM
I prefer multiple endings in most games.

DarkBahamut
07-14-2014, 08:28 AM
I both really like and dislike this. On one hand, you've got a lot more freedom and choice, and your actions and characters seem closer to you for that very reason. It makes the story a much more personal one. On the other hand, you miss out on other things and it would require you to play through the game again and know the specific choices you must make to see other events or endings. So I guess I can take it or leave it!
Well what if you don't miss out on things?

Let's say your character gets the option that affects the story, and either way you choose will give you the same weapon, experience, etc. but in the end only the story gets affected not gameplay.

VeloZer0
07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
You still miss out on the other story paths.

metagloria
07-14-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm not a huge fan of multiple endings (because I'm a completionist), but I am a fan of branching storylines along the way. Near-perfect example, giving the sphere to New Yevon or the Youth League in X-2. Totally alters subsequent events without changing your ability to complete the game (unless you're going for 100%).

Mirage
07-15-2014, 02:22 AM
You still miss out on the other story paths.

So you have a reason to play the game again. Replay value is horrible, right? :p

Mercen-X
07-15-2014, 05:52 AM
I think what Velo is trying to say is that he prefers to play a game wherein your character is omnipresent and doesn't miss out on anything on the first play through. That way, you'd get the full scope of what's going on without the hassle of "re-reading" thus you would never have to play the game again. *rolls eyes*

I've always loved the idea of alternate endings but I've always despised their execution. This is mostly due to full-motion video overindulgence. I had gotten so used to the beautiful pre-rendered sets used for the typical ending sequence that I found myself painfully disappointed by the alternate endings that did not feature them (as in Chrono Cross and Radiata Stories). The fact that Shadow of Memories was essentially one long cutscene meant that I was not left with such disappointment. Admittedly, at first, I hated that the cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts were all made with basically the same graphics as those seen in the gameplay when the opening and ending sequences were full-motion vids. While I still hate that the opening and ending vids exist separately from the game, I've grown to like the fact that the remainder of the game's body is rendered in the same style.

My point being that if they can render multiple endings in a stylistic way (fully animated and preferably voice acted) and better still, allow you to record the endings in an in-game ledger, I think it would be an awesome feature.

because the games narrative doesn't have a definitive culmination.

I read this as meaning that the multiple endings have no closure which doesn't have to be the case. It's not as if the MEs should be just some cheap mechanic to increase replayability. I think that any alternate ending should feel natural. If the ending occurs as you are killed by a boss, it shouldn't just be another game over screen. They should go forward and show what happened as a result of your failure. Obviously, only particular bosses should warrant this reaction and no I'm not saying that MEs should occur as a result of dying in battle. Maybe it happened because you failed to stop a train or show the Dragon mercy or save some stupid dog. The point being, that an "alternate ending" should not feel like just another "game over" screen. It's like the actions you take would decide what kind of story was being told and the ending would justify that this tale was either a tragedy, a comedy, a rebirth, etc.

Formalhaut
07-15-2014, 10:43 PM
I think FFX would have been quite good in this regard. That bit on the Highbridge where Kimahri is allowing the party to escape. You could either come back to rescue him, or continue fleeing. Just imagine how the story would change because of that sacrifice.

Mirage
07-16-2014, 12:27 AM
yeah, that's a good example