PDA

View Full Version : Learning to cook

Pike
07-12-2014, 11:32 PM
I've mentioned before in this subforum that I'm brand new to cooking and am trying to learn (mostly to save money), but often even threads I start about basic stuff segue into things that I don't understand. This is not your fault, by the way - I mean, I understand that anyone who isn't me should understand "cook a chicken in a pot" - but I am so new to this that I, uh, don't. Like, going back to the example, do you do anything to the chicken first? Do you just put the whole thing in the pot? Then what? Does it go on the stove? Do you add anything? Do I need water? How much water? What temperature do I set it to? How long do I let it cook for? What happens next? Does it keep in the fridge? What parts are and aren't edible? Basically when I say "explain to me like I am five" I mean it.

So basically I am coming to ask if you have any resources or websites that can teach someone with zero experience how to cook.

Alternatively if you want to walk me through something easy step-by-step like I'm a brain damaged puppy or something, that's fine too.

Pike
07-13-2014, 12:05 AM
I'll learn to cook pretty much anything so long as it's gluten-free.

And I don't like spicy foods at all, so when it comes to spices I figure I'll just need the basics.

Freya
07-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Honestly. Pinterest is a great place for recipes (http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=gluten%20free%20recipes&rs=ac&len=6). I have learned a lot from just trying recipes. The easiest thing is just to try it! If you mess up, oh well. if you have a question about it, google it! you'll find things explaining it. That's how I found out how to ribbon zucchini.

Shorty
07-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Second in pinterest. Search for gluten free easy recipes and it will give you a goldmine.

I'm on my phone and can't type out a lot but pinterest seriously!

jodymcdougle
07-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Hello, Pike! I would be glad to help you cook Italian foods! if you can read a recipe card and understand English and various measurements, I would gladly help you out. you should have a general understanding of how to make sure that various meats are cooked thoroughly, however I will supply you with the degree that it should present. if your interested just let me know. I'm new to this forum but not in the kitchen. just trying to make a couple of friends here!

all the best,
Jody :shobon:

noxious.sunshine
07-13-2014, 01:14 AM
http://startcooking.com

I did a Google Search and found that.

Click on the "Recipe Index" - there's a ton of stuff there, though some of it does have gluten (you could easily switch out for gluten-free stuff.. IDK how gluten free pasta tastes other than egg noodles, but I know gluten free breads can be nas-tay.).. And it has step-by-step instructions for things.

Also look up Julia Child's recipes.. Many of them are more complex, but she was wonderful at showing how to properly cook & butcher things like whole chickens.

Giada de Laurentiis is also good at coming up with simple, easy recipes. She's Italian which means pastas and breads are gonna happen, so again, you'll have to switch them for gluten free versions, swap the pasta for rice, or omit altogether.

Feel free to PM me if you need help or anything though!

EDIT: Why does Julia Child look like my grandmother? rofl.. Like when she was younger. This cracks me up.

fire_of_avalon
07-13-2014, 01:44 AM
I had this post started about all the different cooking terms and what they mean, but real talk you should buy a good cookbook. A good cookbook will not only have recipes but will also have information about how to cook certain items, what cooking terms mean, sometimes will even go into the science of cooking. If you can find one online or in a used bookstore, an 80's or 90's edition of Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book is an awesome way to get started. My dad learned to cook with one and so have I and my sister. I have heard the more recent editions aren't as good as the older ones.

Also - youtube instructional videos.

As far as boiling something in liquid, you always want the liquid to cover the solid, even as the liquid evaporates. If you're boiling something that is mostly liquid then you want to make sure you cook it at a high enough temperature to get it done but at a low enough temperature you don't scorch it. Sugary foods scorch easier than non-sugary foods.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-13-2014, 04:59 AM
You want to eat food? Tell me what kind. I'll tell you step-by-stepp how to make it, just as if you were a brain damaged puppy.

Gluten-free? Not a problem. There are always plenty of things we can substitute for that tasty shit with gluten in it and it will still be good.

Chicken in a pot? No silly. Well, yes. But I feel there are better ways.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Take boneless skinless chicken breast.
Put it on a cutting board or something as a prep area. Give it a few shakes of pepper and a few shakes of garlic powder. Do both sides. Don't dump it on there. Just a light covering.
Cookie sheet pan thing. Put some aluminum foil on it. Trust me, save yourself the cleaning.
Plop that chicken on that aluminum foiled cookie sheet thingy.
Toss it in the oven on about the center rack once preheated.
Leave it there for exactly 23 minutes.
Take it out. Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
Eat with some other tasty shit.
Fantastic.

magemasher
07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Jamie Oliver has some great cheap recipes on his site and TV show. Ok they're not all gluten free but you can replace as you need to.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/savewithjamie/

The Banh Mi sandwich is awesome.

Jess
07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
What are some of your favourite things to eat, Pike? Then maybe we can tell you how to make those things. :)

Are you willing to spend time cooking, or would you prefer quick & easy meals? And, what cooking utensils do you have to cook with? Basic stuff such as pans and baking trays, oven and microwave? Or do you have a slow cooker.etc?

If you are going to be following recipes, I recommend getting a measuring jug and kitchen scales, if you don't have them already. It's much easier to get stuff right & tasting yummy when you're not guessing quantities. :jess:

Christmas
07-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Start with cooking instant noodles first, young Pike. :bigsmile:

jodymcdougle
07-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Christmas, instant noodles are so good! :D

noxious.sunshine
07-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Instant noodles are loaded with sodium, though.. Euggghhhhh

Iceglow
07-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Hmm Jamie Oliver actually realised that a lot of British young folk actually don't have a clue when it comes to cooking and so he's actually made a vocational cooking qualification he's trying to get formally added to the curriculum. Well the entire thing is actually accessible online which is pretty cool. Anyhow, the recipes in it are pretty basic and come with detailed instructional material for anything you're unsure of. Even I used it for some of the things I'd forgotten how to make (i.e. I used his dumpling recipe from there for my stew this Sunday) which I must say, his stew is actually very similar to the one I usually make (probably because mine is a modified version of one from a cookbook he wrote).

Anyhow. here's a useful link Pikebot:

http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com/index.php

haha I see Magemasher had similar idea to me, the difference is that save with Jamie is more suited to intermediates, this is more suited to newbs. As before, gluten free is easily done by replacing any ingredients if you get stuck for ideas of what to use for an alternative drop me a PM I'm sure I'll think of something :)