PDA

View Full Version : Old School Final Fantasy - H E L P !

jodymcdougle
07-13-2014, 01:02 AM
I've recently gotten several of the older Final Fantasy titles -- mainly for the Game Boy Advance also Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Game Boy, and the Nintendo Entertainment System. I was wondering if some of you could tell me which one to try out 100% of the way through. I hate to start an RPG and not finish it (anyone else feel this way?). I've also got tactics for the GBA even though I've never played the original PlayStation version of the game.

I should probably note that I'm a stranger to these older titles other than the one for the SNES, 7-9 on the PlayStation, and 10-12 on the PS2. I'm up for a good game and story line, so if any of you can recommend your favorites and the reasons behind them, i'll gladly check them out and post back here throughout the way! any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Jody :shobon:

Sephiroth
07-13-2014, 01:40 AM
If you have GBA and SNES Final Fantasys you should probably try out Final Fantasy IV and 6. The US versions for SNES have the numbers II and III.

Ayen
07-13-2014, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure what it's like on the GBA, but I recommend the first game because it's the first game. It almost seems like a rite of passage to be able to play the original game and see where everything began, it's also pretty fun once you get going if you don't mind grinding so much. If you want a bit more story II is probably the way to go, but the way the battle system and stuff is setup could be off-putting for a beginner. FFV is also A LOT of fun and just filled with silly moments, but if you want a more serious and concrete story then I echo what Sephiroth said about VI. I haven't played IV yet so can't comment.

Shiva95
07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
You should try FFVI and FFIV.

Mirage
07-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Which ones is it you have?
I'd play 5 or 6 first.

jodymcdougle
07-13-2014, 05:03 PM
I have all of the final fantasies for the following consoles:

Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance

I recently hacked my wii to where I could run ROM files on it. I've had several of the titles over the years, but never beat any of the handheld ones except revenant wings and chain of memories. I've played 7-10 on the ps-ps2.

I am currently playing 6 on the snes. I got lost quite a bit, but other than that I enjoy it! I also tried tactics advance. would you recommend that one? I only went through maybe 30 minutes of it and switched back to 6.

Mirage
07-13-2014, 05:43 PM
The original final fantasy tactics is supposed to have one of the best stories in all of them, but I've heard the GBA sequels are kind of lightweights when it comes to the story department. I haven't gotten far in any of those games, which is strange, considering I am no stranger to SRPGs. I think it might have been because I am a bit picky when it comes to gameplay, and more recent SRPGs have spoiled me when it comes to how streamlined the controls and gameplay of such games can be, while FFT is a bit clunky, due to its older age.

jodymcdougle
07-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Mirage, I'm playing the 6th one (I think). the one that originally came out on the SNES. the graphics aren't quite what I'm used to, but overall the storyline and everything else is pretty awesome! I had several chances to purchase FFT and never did. wish I would have, but I was more into the straight-RPG type of game at the time, I suppose. I played revenant wings for the DS, is that considered a Tactics type of title? it was okay, just wasn't the same as XII. have you heard good things about the Game Boy Advance version? it looked sort of "childish" or something to me at first. I didn't really give it a chance, I had just gotten the game started and had to do something else. so I'm not completely putting it to the side just yet. a lot of these titles consume a lot of time, so I'd like to make sure that I play the best ones first. ;)

metagloria
07-13-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm completely not objective, because FF1 is my favorite game of all time. All the classics are good in their own way. It depends on what you like about the newer ones. My favorite of the rest of 2-6 is 5, because of the fun story, exciting gameplay, and stellar job system. It was one of the tougher games for me to beat the first time through, because I didn't really know how to work the system well.

Psychotic
07-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Hi Jody - thanks for registering and I hope you can get the help and answers you're looking for. As you made three copies of the same thread, I have merged them all into one. Cheers. :)

jodymcdougle
07-13-2014, 10:32 PM
thank you, Psychotic! wasn't quite sure where this topic fit, so I put it every where. sorry about that. :)

I'm going to check out 5 tonight and give it a try! looking forward to the new system!