PDA

View Full Version : Watch Nerds

Pike
07-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I want to know if anyone else here is a watch nerd or if I am alone in my appreciation of tiny mechanical wonders.

There are many types of watches; the ones you buy for $20 at Walmart are quartz watches which operate via tiny electronic oscillators. Which is pretty cool, but the old-style mechanical ones are the most fun to look at IMO!

http://www.anatomyofnorbiton.org/images/escapement.gif

(And yes I know no one wears watches anymore; that's why I'm specifically asking for watch nerds! Once I helped a coworker win a bet by being a young person wearing a watch :joker:)

Mirage
07-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I wear watches! Saves me from taking out my mobile phone just to check the time. Every time i take it out of my pocket, I could accidentally drop it, and every time I use it to check the time, i spend battery that could have been better used on other things.

I have a really cheap and ugly digital watch that I wear at work, and a fancier metal analogue watch that I wear when I suit up and want to look important.

Christmas
07-13-2014, 01:34 PM
(And yes I know no one wears watches anymore; that's why I'm specifically asking for watch nerds! Once I helped a coworker win a bet by being a young person wearing a watch :joker:)

Young and beautiful. :bigsmile:

Forever 21. :kaoclove:

Mo-Nercy
07-13-2014, 02:47 PM
I've got a Swatch (specifically this one) (http://image.rakuten.co.jp/big-plus/cabinet/watch/swatch/swatchycs564g-1.jpg?_ex=128x128)but I don't wear it often anymore because I'm always scratching the face on a rail, against a wall or when turning a corner. Yargh. So I only wear it when the occasion calls for it.

I love the look of some of the Tag Heuers. I'd love to own one of those someday (specfically this one) (http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Tag-Heuer-Formula-1-cal-16-CAU2010-1.jpg)

escobert
07-13-2014, 03:32 PM
I don't wear watches and I don't own a cell phone either :p

Christmas
07-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Do you create fire using stones btw? :bigsmile:

Shauna
07-13-2014, 03:50 PM
I wear a watch every day. Is that really an uncommon thing these days? Weird.

escobert
07-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Do you create fire using stones btw? :bigsmile:

No, sticks :p

Colonel Angus
07-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I would be lost w/o my watch. I can't have a phone on me while @ work & I can't always trust their clocks/computer clocks, so I wear a watch. I also don't want to have to keep pulling out my phone to check the time.

I have a watch that's both digital & analog. Unfortunately, the analog portion stopped working a year or so ago, but the digital part works great. I'm always getting complimented on it, usually by the same person.

Team Lead: Sir, that is a nice watch.

Me: Thanks! You know, you tell me that all the time.

Team Lead: :lol: :blush:

Sephex
07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about a TV show or something about watching nerds.

Ayen
07-13-2014, 10:49 PM
I used to be fascinated by wrist watches I would wear all the time, but now not so much. I am sorry at being a continued disappointment in the modern world.

escobert
07-13-2014, 11:35 PM
I just can't ever get them to fit right. Either too big or too tight! Maybe I'll get a pocket watch :bigsmile:

Dr Unne
07-13-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm a fan of watches that don't make any sense and are hard to read. In other words: http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/1/

I own one watch from there. People would ask me "What time is it?" and I'd hold out my watch, and they'd look at it and get confused, and then I'd feel good about myself. I don't wear it any more though.

Crop
07-14-2014, 01:45 AM
I adore watches, I own three wristwatches and have just ordered a fourth. I cannot leave the house without a watch, it makes me feel naked.

I also own a pocket watch that I don when I wear a waistcoat, and sometimes I just like to hear it tick as it is a mechanical one. I really want another one.

I also sometimes like to buy a watch and take it apart, this is obviously best for the mechanical ones because you can see it all moving if you take it apart carefully enough. I dismantle them sometimes, but not often as I am not too adept at putting them back together and more often than not I can't and I break them.

A world without watches would sadden me.

Madame Adequate
07-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Who watches the watch nerds?

Mirage
07-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm a fan of watches that don't make any sense and are hard to read. In other words: http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/1/

I own one watch from there. People would ask me "What time is it?" and I'd hold out my watch, and they'd look at it and get confused, and then I'd feel good about myself. I don't wear it any more though.

That one's not too hard to figure out

Drift
07-14-2014, 02:55 PM
I appreciate a good watch, both in looks and it's mechanical workings however I do admit it's mainly the looks for me.

Sometimes you just can't beat that *tick tick* sound

Cloudane
07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm more of a digital watch nerd.

In my school days I had one of these:
http://i.imgur.com/uSIVuOL.jpg
Calculator, address book etc..

And one of these:
http://i.imgur.com/f5OoJdL.jpg
IR remote control. My dad's car had central locking operated by IR, which I programmed into it - so I felt like James Bond unlocking the car with my watch :lol:

One day I wore one on each wrist, which I have never lived down to this day :p

I usually wear a Pebble now.

blackmage_nuke
07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
I want to make my own electronic pocketwatch with LED's as a clockface (not digits) but I dont know where to get a pocketwatch case without actually buying a pocketwatch and taking everything out

Freya
07-14-2014, 08:56 PM
I don't like things around my wrists so watches are out. But I do think clocks are cool. It's why I have a novel about a time mage. :p

Dr Unne
07-14-2014, 09:11 PM

Pike
07-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Is that Wesley Crusher? That looks like Wesley Crusher.

Anyways I want to point out that when I mean mechanical watch I mean one that winds or is self-winding, not just an analog watch that runs on batteries! (Not that there's anything wrong with a battery powered watch, but a lot of us watch nerds like the ones that sacrifice accuracy for hundreds of little gears inside.)

If you're not sure which one you have, most quartz analogs tick once a second whereas a mechanical watch will tick several times per second.

Dr Unne
07-14-2014, 09:38 PM
It is Wil Wheaton.

Yesterday I was thinking about watches, and I realized I was asking my spouse what time it was ALL THE TIME, because I never wore a watch nowadays. Then I freaked out and bought this watch (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000LTAY1U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This is my first automatic watch. Reviews say it's not especially precise or fancy, but it's reliable and well-built. The design is from the 60's. A Seiko 5 was worn by Gene Kranz, who was flight directory for the Apollo 11 and 13 missions. Is this nerdy enough?

Cloudane
07-14-2014, 09:40 PM

Shut up, Wesley.

He may have kind of been my hero back then

Pike
07-14-2014, 10:11 PM
It is Wil Wheaton.

Yesterday I was thinking about watches, and I realized I was asking my spouse what time it was ALL THE TIME, because I never wore a watch nowadays. Then I freaked out and bought this watch (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000LTAY1U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This is my first automatic watch. Reviews say it's not especially precise or fancy, but it's reliable and well-built. The design is from the 60's. A Seiko 5 was worn by Gene Kranz, who was flight directory for the Apollo 11 and 13 missions. Is this nerdy enough?

I KNEW it was Wesley Crusher.

Seikos are good watches. That watch you got is a good watch and it'll last you a long time. I'm planning on getting one very similar soon, in fact!

Shauna
07-14-2014, 10:40 PM
I also have a Seiko watch. It is p nice.

chionos
07-14-2014, 11:05 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about a TV show or something about watching nerds.

Ha! Me too. And, in fact, I'm a little disappointed. But watches are cool. I still wear watches.

Alive-Cat
07-14-2014, 11:29 PM
I have this weird thing for really cringey watches. Like, Looney Toons, Barbie, Care Bears, anything that's cringey enough so that I can wear it ironically and pretend that I'm cool. Yeah :greenie:

I'd say Pokemon but no, if you wear a Pokemon watch there is nothing ironic about that. You are just cool.

~*~Celes~*~
07-21-2014, 12:14 PM
I had a sailor moon watch once, I loved it <3 I bought my husband a pocket watch for Father's Day last year but it needs to be fixed. Its a manual wind-up where you can watch the gears turn.

Iceglow
07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
I really wish my inheritance hadn't gotten stolen when I was 14. I'm not going to lie Pike, you'd positively have been jealous. My inheritance from my dad was the contents of his jewellery box. This consisted of a gold St Christopher, a couple of gold sovereign rings, 2 gold Rolexes and a silver Breitling.

Don't ask me how a mechanic/off licence manager from Tipton West Midlands afforded these watches, I have no idea... but I also know my dad owned at least 2 Jaguar E-Types (at different times) when he met my mom and also drove a Toyota Celica in the early 80s when they were super popular. He later traded it in for a burnished gold coloured range rover stating if he was driving with his kids in the back he was going to drive the safest thing on the road. I'm guessing my Dad was probably a pretty good manager/mechanic.

Irony is, I could only have ever worn the Breitling as I'm allergic to gold.

Mirage
07-21-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm more of a digital watch nerd.

In my school days I had one of these:

Illuminator