PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst gift you've ever received?

MissH
07-13-2014, 08:08 PM
It's Danny's (Bubba) birthday a week on Tuesday and I'm excited/nervous as to what he will think about his present!

I have to say, I've been quite lucky with presents over the years. I think my best was my little mustard coloured Renault Clio my parents got me for Christmas when I was 17! I cried my eyes out with happiness! It was wrapped up in a big red bow,covered in frost on a cold Christmas day morning!

The worst present I ever received was a cardboard clock from an ex one Christmas (no joke). Especially bad as I had spent about £100 on him!

What are the best/worst gifts you have ever received?

Ayen
07-13-2014, 10:52 PM
It's hard for me to pick a favorite or least favorite because I gotten so many good gifts over the years, and I was always told by my mom to appreciate what I get even if it's something I don't like. Some of my best gifts have been Buffy, Charmed, Xena DVDs, video games I gotten for the Xbox 360 and PC, and of course last Christmas' PS3 with a bunch of PlayStation 3 games to go with it.

Loony BoB
07-13-2014, 11:52 PM
PS1 from my family is probably right up there for gifts received, I got it with Air Combat which doubled the awesomeness. Also this badass spacecraft Lego thing I got ages ago was really awesome. Actually, on the Lego note, that reminds me. Best present ever was a massive tub of lego, along with loads of ice cream tubs likewise full of Lego. A lot of it must have been second hand. But it was awesome if only because of the presentation - I woke up to find that Stuart (friend of the family) and my Dad had gone crazy with it and made all kinds of crazy cars and robots and stuff, and they were seriously cool, too, with loads of moving parts and whatnot. Genuinely great way to receive a gift. Who needs packaging when the display is awesome on it's own? My Dad was always good with prezzies. Danielle has got me a PSP and that gets an honourable mention, too.

Best present I've ever given? Now that is seriously tough and I honestly don't know. If Danielle's engagement ring counts, then that, easily. Outside of that it's genuinely hard to say. I mean, I tend to buy her lots of smaller gifts because she likes getting a lot of gifts, or else I just spend a lot on her throughout the year and she tends to be pretty happy with that too. xD I've spent £100 or so on clothes on her a few times but nothing major springs to mind.

Guess I'll just have to think on that up 'til Christmas. :shifty:

MissH
07-14-2014, 12:05 AM
PS1 from my family is probably right up there for gifts received, I got it with Air Combat which doubled the awesomeness. Also this badass spacecraft Lego thing I got ages ago was really awesome. Actually, on the Lego note, that reminds me. Best present ever was a massive tub of lego, along with loads of ice cream tubs likewise full of Lego. A lot of it must have been second hand. But it was awesome if only because of the presentation - I woke up to find that Stuart (friend of the family) and my Dad had gone crazy with it and made all kinds of crazy cars and robots and stuff, and they were seriously cool, too, with loads of moving parts and whatnot. Genuinely great way to receive a gift. Who needs packaging when the display is awesome on it's own? My Dad was always good with prezzies. Danielle has got me a PSP and that gets an honourable mention, too.

Best present I've ever given? Now that is seriously tough and I honestly don't know. If Danielle's engagement ring counts, then that, easily. Outside of that it's genuinely hard to say. I mean, I tend to buy her lots of smaller gifts because she likes getting a lot of gifts, or else I just spend a lot on her throughout the year and she tends to be pretty happy with that too. xD I've spent £100 or so on clothes on her a few times but nothing major springs to mind.

Guess I'll just have to think on that up 'til Christmas. :shifty:

Aww, that whole reaponse is lovely! It's funny the things we can remember as kids. I used to love getting an orange for Christmas! Mum said I used to spend hours playing with wrapping and empty boxes! Nowadays kids want ipads and iphones and the lot!

Also- your lucky wife! Which woman wouldn't want to get lots of thoughtful gifts! What a lovely man :-)

Shiny
07-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Best gifts:
PS1 -- I remeber my brother and I got one of our own for Christmas. We flipped out like the Nintendo 64 kid did, but with no tears of joy.

Also the massage chair attachment. It's heavenly. I had to bribe the person that got it though because it is expensive. Totally worth it.

A letter. The person didn't have any money to get me a gift so they wrote and mailed me a letter. I thought it was adorable seeing as how young people rarely send each other letters. Anyway, I sent one back.

Worst gift:
A card for Christmas that said nothing but the person's name. It isn't just the gift that counts, it's the thought behind it. They could have at least put a personal message instead of just signing their name. The card just said, "Merry Christmas" inside of it -- not even a touching message. I thought it was tasteless.

Shorty
07-14-2014, 07:09 AM
I think I've mentioned this before, but on paper, the worst give I ever received was standard bathroom crap like a toothbrush holder and a shower curtain from my ex for my birthday. He had the right intentions at the time - we had just moved into a new place and stuff and he knew I was wanting to do some stuff with the bathroom, but bathroom essentials aren't really what a girl wants for their birthday. He did make up for it by later finding me a super incredible physical copy of a David Bowie interview with Playboy from like the 70's and a signed copy of Invisible Monsters Remix by Chuck Palahniuk.

Some of the best gifts I've received were some super-specific me-stuff including earrings, a necklace, a teeny tiny little vintage-looking pillbox encrusted with gems, a teacup, a squid corkscrew, and some beautiful wall decor. (Rantz is a great gift-giver.)

Madame Adequate
07-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Best present was probably the PS1 I got for Christmas the year it came out. Granny is awesome that way.

Worst present was one time I remember when I was maybe 8 or so, I had a whole list of stuff I wanted for my birthday. My parents got me two books. There were books I wanted; these were not among them. Not that I can now recall what books they were, I just remember being supremely buttsore.

A few years later they got me an N64 for my birthday though, which is probably the second-best gift I've ever got, so that made up for it!

Christmas
07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Playing Final Fantasy games lead me to EoFF!! :bigsmile:

That is the best gift I have gotten out of playing games!! :kaoclove:

Bubba
07-14-2014, 02:56 PM
I've had lots of great presents over the years. When I was a kid I remember getting the Action Force Mobile Command Centre complete with prison for any unruly members of Cobra. Honourable mention has to go to Mum for buying me my PS1 complete with 6 games. They weren't top of the range games but I was still more than happy. Probably my best is the one that Sophie got me last year. She was obviously taking note when I was talking about my favourite games. She got me a shiny new 3DS complete with a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D. Perfection!

It's Danny's (Bubba) birthday a week on Tuesday and I'm excited/nervous as to what he will think about his present!

Don't worry, getting me the 3DS means that you're good for a few years :D

noxious.sunshine
07-14-2014, 10:23 PM
I think the year my sister gave me a shopping bag full of cheap ass shampoo & conditioner (like Suave & VO5). Worst gift ever. lmao.. I'd rather get nothing at all.

Best gift.. I think it was Parker's first Christmas.. A close friend of mine and my sister's (who also is my sister's ex girlfriend)- -her- sister in law put a picture of Parker up on her mini Christmas tree that sat on her desk at work, just cuz my baby is precious and whatnot.. People at her work bought my girl tons of gifts- toys, diapers, clothes, baby wipes, even wrote checks to me for groceries and things. I literally bawled my eyes out 'cuz it was so freaking sweet. Someone even hand stitched a quilt for her that I still have.

Aside from that, maybe the Pandora bracelet and charms my sister got me this past year and P's Vermont teddy bear my mom ordered her before she passed away. It was her last gift. We all cried a lot.

Araciel
07-14-2014, 10:32 PM
When I was 15 I used my birthday money to buy ff7 and rent a ps1. During that school year I won a science award and my dad bought me a ps1 because he was so proud. In our household (poor as fuck) this was a huge deal to me.

Worst gift I've gotten ? Probably nothing. Also I did get a weed whacker once. Dadgift.

Alive-Cat
07-14-2014, 11:36 PM
I think a guitar was easily the best as a child. I rarely asked for things but I asked for that and it happened!

Yeah, I like all gifts, any gift from anyone, it warms my heart, but. My aunt and uncle have this weird thing where they get me gifts that do not make sense, that just aren't good. I literally think that they try on purpose now just to keep up some kind of tradition. As a child it was never even like a toy of any kind, it was always something very odd and very uninteresting to a child. I thought as I got older and appreciated things their gifts would make more sense to me but, I'm at a loss. The thing is they always drop by when I'm at work on christmas, it would be more of a gift to just see them, instead of coming home to find like, a strange olive green hat. Or something.

Pumpkin
07-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Best gift: A good birthday :D

Worst gift: A bad birthday

Jess
07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
My parents got me my first car for my 18th birthday. I loved that car. My boyfriend has got me some amazing gifts, which I will love forever. My favourite is a gift he got me early in our relationship; a diamond ring (not an engagement ring) which may as well be permanently attached to my middle finger.

But really, I love those little thoughtful surprise gifts that make your day. Once I was having a bad week, and my boyfriend got me some new pyjamas to cheer me up. A while back I was at risk of redundancy from my old job and my parents got me a load of my favourite sweeties ever as a surprise when I went to see them. :)

Worst gift? None. I appreciate every gift, big or small.

The best gift I've ever given is probably the electric guitar I got my boyfriend a few years back. I prefer giving gifts to receiving them. There's nothing better than the feeling you get when somebody's face lights up because they love the gift you got them. :jess:

blackmage_nuke
07-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Best Gift - A lot of money
"Worst" Gift - Not as much money

Once my parents gave me $200 the day before my birthday then on my birthday someone broke into our house and stole it.

black orb
07-17-2014, 05:41 AM
>>> Best Gift: Coal..
Worst Gift: Coal..:luca:

Scotty_ffgamer
07-17-2014, 08:00 AM
This is really hard for me to think of. I love all of my gifts I get from my parents and grandparents and such. They put a lot of thought behind the stuff. The way I see it, they don't ever have to give me anything and I appreciate whatever.

The one that really had me excited as a kid was when I got the PS2 for my birthday (it actually came out on my birthday!)

The worst "gift" was last year for my birthday when all of my closest friends told me last minute they weren't going to come to my birthday party thing. The birthday was still fantastic as the only person who did show up is a cool guy despite me not knowing him that well at the time. He drove me out to chipotle and vintage stock, bought me food and two Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, and we just hung out at his house. I think in part he felt bad about the plans falling through that he and his wife just put a lot of effort into making sure it was a good day. So in the end, it went from my worst birthday ever to a big contender for one of the best birthdays, haha.

Pheesh
07-17-2014, 10:04 AM
My Auntie Connie gives the absolute worst gifts consistently. Notable examples are; a bag of spice rub, Family Guy figurines (even though I don't watch or enjoy Family Guy and was told this by my cousin), a studded leather bracelet that I never so much as looked at, let alone wore.

Rocket Edge
07-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Like some here, my PS1 for my brother and me was up there. Santa was good to me. So was getting the PS2. I was of age then where I appreciated it much more but nothing beats the excitement of getting the PS1.

Worst? A grandfather watch from my sister that was far too big for me. I didn't care though, still appreciated the sentiment.

Just thought I'd share - the best present I ever bought for myself was Final Fantasy VII, by pure accident. I bought the game for a pen-pal and let it slip it was a game. He said he didn't want it so I kept it myself. I never would have bought an RPG as I was into FIFA & RTS games at the time. By mistake, the guy at the gamestore put in the newly released discs of FFVIII into the FFVII case by accident. It remains my favourite game and series 'til then, and I wouldn't have joined this forum without those series of events.

Pike
07-24-2014, 11:53 AM
The best gift I ever received was when Pokemon X & Y came out. I was sad that I wouldn't be able to get it because I didn't have a 3DS, but when I came home from work there was a special edition Pokemon 3DS, Pokemon X, and a Chespin plushie waiting for me. Huxley had walked all the way to the mall while I was gone so he could buy them for me :3:

The worst gift I've ever received - I hate saying stuff like this because it sounds super super ungrateful - but we had a few "welfare Christmases" growing up where our presents were all donated by strangers, and I always wound up with earrings and things because all they would know about me was that I was a 15 year old girl or whatever so they assumed I would like earrings. I, uh, have never had pierced ears :erm: