PDA

View Full Version : Updated computer, now no sound!

Jinx
07-13-2014, 09:59 PM
My computer did an automatic update today, and when it restarted, the sound wouldn't work! I was able to restart my computer and it worked again, but I went to watch a YouTube video and it's not working again.

Does anyone know what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Mirage
07-13-2014, 11:53 PM
does the speaker icon where you adjust the volume show up? If it does, what does it look like now?

Colonel Angus
07-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Right click on the speaker icon & "Open Volume Mixer". Check to see if anything is muted or turned down.

Be sure to do this when YouTube is up, so you can see if the volume for that is muted.

Report your findings here.

Colonel Angus
07-14-2014, 01:40 AM
You might have to do a system restore.

Do any of the updates have anything to do w/ sound cards? You might be downloading an update that is incompatible w/ your software.

Mirage
07-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Yes it does, and it has all three lines coming out of it. I may be a bit of a dingus, but I know when my sound is and isn't muted. :p

Currently, I'm getting sound.

I was actually just going to check if it had a small x over it, instead of the usual muted symbol. Cause that would have indicated that windows couldn't detect a sound output device.

Dr Unne
07-14-2014, 02:51 AM
More info needed. Do other programs fail to produce sound or is it just Youtube videos? Does sound cut out if you play some MP3s or play a game or a video file?

Are you using speakers or headphones? Can you swap them out for a different set and see if the problem continues?

escobert
07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Try rolling back your sound driver or reinstalling it.

Spuuky
07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
In Windows, if you click on the volume control, it shows a green bar when it thinks it is outputting sound (even if there is no speaker plugged in, for instance). Do you see that effect when the sound is out?

escobert
07-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Nice, in future check your drivers out. sometimes it will auto update and not like your hardware. I was having some sound issues on my laptop and just uninstalled then reinstalled the audio drivers.

Oh and I always have my windows updates set to let me choose what ones are installed.