PDA

View Full Version : Is Parasite Eve worth it?

Ayen
07-14-2014, 12:43 AM
I have sixteen dollars left at the PlayStation Store after buying a one-hundred dollars gift card. I see they have Parasite Eve 1 and 2 for $5.99 a piece. Are they worth getting or should I shift my focus elsewhere?

Discuss.

Colonel Angus
07-14-2014, 12:47 AM
I have the first one & haven't played it in forever. I think it might be worth getting, honestly. It's a horror type game set in NYC.

Edit: or go w/ Chrono Cross. I like both.

Edit: 1K post! w00t!

DMKA
07-14-2014, 01:33 AM
Yes. It's fantastic. Easily one of my favorite games of the PS1 era.

Ayen
07-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Yes. It's fantastic. Easily one of my favorite games of the PS1 era.

Good.

'Cause I was moving stuff around on my bed and accidentally hit the X button on my controller buying them both anyway.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-14-2014, 03:12 AM
Can't speak for the second one but the first Parasite Eve is fantastic! Hope you enjoy!

Masamunemaster
07-14-2014, 05:27 AM
I have always loved parasite eve, and recently got to play the second. In my honest opinion, it would be worth way more than six bucks, and I would highly recommend them both.

Fynn
07-14-2014, 01:26 PM
It's pretty good.

Rez09
07-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I enjoy the weapon/armor customization and combat system in the first game enough to recommend it to people, but the second one is a lot more hit and miss; it feels a lot like an older Resident Evil game with odd quirks attached and less puzzles. I thoroughly enjoy the title, and actually like it more than the first, but I know enough people who were put off by it to be selective in recommending it.

Not that it matters, since you already bought it. ;)

(You should try to unlock the gunblade in the second game!)

Ayen
07-14-2014, 08:27 PM
I enjoy the weapon/armor customization and combat system in the first game enough to recommend it to people, but the second one is a lot more hit and miss; it feels a lot like an older Resident Evil game with odd quirks attached and less puzzles. I thoroughly enjoy the title, and actually like it more than the first, but I know enough people who were put off by it to be selective in recommending it.

Not that it matters, since you already bought it. ;)

(You should try to unlock the gunblade in the second game!)

I'm a fan of the older Resident Evil games so that shouldn't be much of a problem, unless it feels like a RE rip off like Dino Crisis did.

escobert
07-14-2014, 09:51 PM
I couldn't stand it.

Resident evil meets Vagrant Story. I liked the concept but was not happy with the results.

Aulayna
07-14-2014, 10:36 PM
First one never got released here, second one was enjoyable enough though!

Ayen
07-14-2014, 10:41 PM
First one never got released here, second one was enjoyable enough though!

So, did Parasite Eve 2 get renumbered or did they FFVII you guys?

Aulayna
07-14-2014, 11:09 PM
It remained Parasite Eve II xD

Rostum
07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
I never got to play the first, but I did watch a Let's Play of it a few years ago. The second one I managed to get a hold of when it first came out and I really enjoyed it but I never managed to finish it - perhaps I'll emulate both of them one day and finish them. Isn't there also a third one out now for PSP/Vita?

Sephiroth
07-15-2014, 12:03 AM
I have all three. Get them. They are good story-wise and atmosphere-wise.

Elly
07-15-2014, 09:33 AM
i loved the first 2 games, i haven't finished the 3rd one as it's on PSP and i keep getting distracted by other games on the PS3 and PC... i hope you enjoy them they're both great games, with New Game + options after you beat them, the first one opens a bonus dungeon when you beat it, and the 2nd game has 3 endings...

Iceglow
07-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Ironically, in the UK we got Parasite Eve 2, but not Parasite Eve 1. I can therefore say Parasite Eve 2 was a fantastic PSX game.

Masamunemaster
10-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Can we just turn this thread into a parasite eve discussion thread? It was one of the first series that didn't have a huge hype about, and fell in love with.

Ayen
10-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Can we just turn this thread into a parasite eve discussion thread? It was one of the first series that didn't have a huge hype about, and fell in love with.

Go ahead. My question was made moot when I accidentally bought both games while deciding.

Masamunemaster
10-03-2014, 07:38 PM
What did you think of them?

Ayen
10-03-2014, 07:46 PM
What did you think of them?

I haven't gotten to them yet.

Masamunemaster
10-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Well now is a great time as any:). I'm staying the third birthday as of an hour ago.

krissy
10-03-2014, 10:07 PM
First was good
Hacked it thomcuz was hard
Interesting story

Masamunemaster
10-04-2014, 09:03 AM
An update on the third birthday, if my psp didn't die I would still be playing it now. So far it seems like a great game, but I don't have a lot of hours logged into it.

Vyk
10-05-2014, 04:56 PM
How did your PSP die? Do you mean it needs charged or is something wrong?

Masamunemaster
10-07-2014, 05:09 AM
Just needed charging, but it's good now:).

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Fun Fact: Parasite Eve the video game is a detached sequel to the novel Parasite Eve, written by Hideaki Sena. You can find it on Amazon for 5 to 10 dollars. I haven't picked it up yet (the book) but the description makes it sound absolutely fantastic.

I haven't played the first two games yet, but I've seen enough of them and done enough research to know that if you're looking for a great classic Square game, you can't go wrong with Parasite Eve. I have the 3rd birthday, if I remember correctly it came with a promo code that gave me an Aya Brea outfit for Lightning in Dissidia 012.

I want to pick up the hard copy of the first two games. Particularly the black label of the first one, with a demo disc that has a Xenogears demo and a Final Fantasy VIII preview video. I enjoy little things like that.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-07-2014, 05:55 PM
I want to pick up the hard copy of the first two games. Particularly the black label of the first one, with a demo disc that has a Xenogears demo and a Final Fantasy VIII preview video. I enjoy little things like that.

I had this and it was "permanently borrowed" by someone over the years without my noticing who. Must have been one of my roommates. I had to re-buy a green label version instead. Lames. :(

Masamunemaster
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I want to read the book, and I can say I watched the movie. It was very strange to say the least. I also have black label of both of the first gamesoso be jealous.

theundeadhero
10-08-2014, 09:16 AM
I have a black label of the first two but I haven't played them in foreeeeeeeeeeever.

Jowy
12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
mrrrrrowl aya brea

collect 300 pieces of junk while you're having fun with parasite eve. buy it!

Masamunemaster
12-03-2014, 05:03 AM
well update on my third birthday run....it's gotten pretty slow. It started out great, but after a dozen hours or so it's all just so repetitive:(

Leigh
12-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Parasite Eve was immense, but I sadly never got around to playing two and third birthday. Easily my most favourite non-ff RPG.