PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII - Lost in Translation

NeoCrimson
07-14-2014, 04:07 AM
In a website it is mentioned this, here the link:
http://www.lokasenna.pe.kr/ardente/etc./

========

There are 3 situations, of which the most important is that which I put below.

SITUATION:
When asked at G-Garden whether she still liked Seifer

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Rinoa: If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about it.

ORIGINAL:
Rinoa: If I did I couldn't talk about it like this.

COMPARISON:
Huh? o.O I checked another source, and it bears out the story guide book, too. It seems the translators either made a huge boo-boo, or mistranslated on purpose to create a lover's triangle between Seifer, Squall, and Rinoa. Whether to go with the English translation or not is up to the gamer, but it seems Rinoa wasn't originally the "tart" she's made out to be in the English version.

Christmas
07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
So is Rinoa Ultimecia?

Mo-Nercy
07-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Interesting. Edea's speech in particular is quite a change from the original (though I'm not sure just how much closer to the original a Korean guide would be). It's a bit more grounded in reality. The original is all a bit too vague for the player at that point of the game, because they know nothing about Ultimecia and Time Compression at that point. So I guess at least the English version sets the tone a bit better, and firmly sets Edea as the enemy.

The second scenario is just plain wrong, but it doesn't affect the game at all, other than maybe making the player think that Seifer may come back into the picture later on.

I don't see any difference between the original and English translation in the first scenario. I don't think 'asking him for advice' necessarily implies that Seifer went over to Timber and actively participated in the rebellion. They could've just been talking over the phone.

NeoCrimson
07-14-2014, 09:48 PM
So is Rinoa Ultimecia?No, in Ultimania was clarified that.

The second scenario is just plain wrong, but it doesn't affect the game at all, other than maybe making the player think that Seifer may come back into the picture later on.In the translation (non-English) you could say that Rinoa confirms his lack of feelings for him in the present, because she no longer likes Seifer.

Dat Matt
07-19-2014, 01:30 AM
The second scenario is just plain wrong, but it doesn't affect the game at all, other than maybe making the player think that Seifer may come back into the picture later on.In the translation (non-English) you could say that Rinoa confirms his lack of feelings for him in the present, because she no longer likes Seifer.

Either that or everything is squalls dream! Fan theories away!!

Ayen
07-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Translation wasn't Square's strong suit back in the day. Not sure how much they're improved in that area, either.