PDA

View Full Version : Do you replay games or move on?

Ergroilnin
07-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Hey there guys!

I wonder if you like to replay your old games either just when you feel like it/periodically or perhaps if you even do multiple challenges in your games to give your favourite games new perspective.

Or do you belong to the kind of people that play game once and never touch it again and simply move on?

You see I myself am hardcore replayer and I love doing challenge runs on many games. I seriously have games I can NEVER grow tired of for a long time. I do realize that that way I am perhaps missing on many new experiences so for the past year and half I tried REALLY hard not to replay, rewatch (in case of movies, serials and anime), really I am forcing myself. But I am really the kind of guy that hates changes and getting out of his comfort zone. I almost feel like I have Asperger syndrom due to this (not to offense anyone who actually has it).

And I am feeling like I can't force myself much more to not do something I really like. But is it really that bad in this case?

Well discuss and tell me what's your opinion, I am really curious!

Ayen
07-14-2014, 09:44 PM
If the game is something I really enjoy I'll go back and play it again from time to time if the replay value is good. Some games even require you to replay it to unlock more stuff like the Metal Gear games, for instance. I can't tell you how many times I have replayed games like Monster Rancher, Mass Effect, Game Dev Tycoon, BattleTanx, Final Fantasy, and the list just goes on and on. Sadly, I haven't had as much time to replay new games I play as I used to, since I don't have time to play anything outside of the games I review.

Agent Proto
07-14-2014, 09:49 PM
For most games, once I beat it, I'll leave it alone. However, sometimes I will play a second or third time if I really enjoyed the game. :D

Karifean
07-14-2014, 09:58 PM
I replay games all the damn time. To the point where I only rarely play actual new games.

Ergroilnin
07-14-2014, 10:03 PM
I replay games all the damn time. To the point where I only rarely play actual new games.

You, I like you.

Sephiroth
07-14-2014, 10:20 PM
I do that all the time. Everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9PpC1QOO8

Rez09
07-14-2014, 10:29 PM
It depends on the game.

RPGs I really like I'll play through again every couple of years (or, sometimes, I'll replay them three or four times back to back then never touch them again), but, for the most part, I don't replay RPGs. When I do, I tend to do challenge runs of them, such as a white wizard run of FF1, low level natural magic FF6 game, or random characters in Romancing SaGa 3.

That said, platformers and action games I enjoy I tend to replay fairly often. Pit-Pot, Legend of the Kage, 8-Bit Sonic 1, Shatterhand, 16-bit Sonic 2, Mega Man 1, 4, X2, and Rosenkreuzstilette, in particular, come to mind as games I replay a lot.

escobert
07-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Depends! I'm currently playing FFVII for the umpteenth time. But for the most part nowadays? No. If I can't get hundreds of hours in a game in the first place I'm not very happy. I just can't get into games for the story anymore, I want something I can play everyday for months. And I hardly ever buy games unless there on a crazy cheap sale on Steam so the ones I do buy had better last me.

Bolivar
07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
I love replaying, I'm a firm believer that games should be appreciated, not consumed. Unfortunately, there's a perfect storm of factors deterring me.

Between cheap games on Steam sales, free games from PlayStation Plus, and a steady stream of releases across the devices I own, I'm drowning in content and can hardly squeeze in a replay when I'm surrounded by new experiences to surprise me. Conversely, having a career and a fiance leaves me with little time to game anymore, the Vita is far and away the system I use the most, due to my commute.

I hinted at it above but I believe our gaming culture has become too consumerist. We judge each console and the health of the industry by its steady stream of titles and the press is more like a glorified buyer's guide, with the bulk of their reports announcing new games, chronicling their development and reviewing them once released. It creates a frenzied mentality where we're constantly pre-ordering and running through games for the sake of clearing through our backlogs. I remember one critique leveled against Polyphony Digital is that they dont release Gran Turismo games fast enough. This mentality undermines the spirit of artistry in this medium and our ability to really go back and appreciate what developers achieved.

Depression Moon
07-14-2014, 11:57 PM
I love replaying, I'm a firm believer that games should be appreciated, not consumed. Unfortunately, there's a perfect storm of factors deterring me.
I agree.

I remember one critique leveled against Polyphony Digital is that they don't release Gran Turismo games fast enough. This mentality undermines the spirit of artistry in this medium and our ability to really go back and appreciate what developers achieved.

Come on Bolivar you got admit that it took forever for Gran Turismo 5 to come out; only The Last Guardian and FFXV have beaten it.

Sephiroth
07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Come on Bolivar you got admit that it took forever for Gran Turismo 5 to come out; only The Last Guardian and FFXV have beaten it.

D
U
K
E

N
U
K
E
M

FOREVER

Mirage
07-15-2014, 03:29 AM
I replay games when I feel that I have forgotten what they felt like, or what they were about. Or if I got an idea of playing it in a more exciting way than I have previously done.

Pumpkin
07-15-2014, 03:33 AM
I replay the fairly often, depending on the game

Quindiana Jones
07-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Developers who don't include New Game+ should be shot. Long live Dark Souls/Dragon's Dogma!

With regards to just normal replays from scratch, I used to do it a lot, but now I just don't have time for it all. :(

KentaRawr!
07-15-2014, 06:05 AM
When it comes to a lot of things, I feel like I have the opposite problem. Instead of going on binges on one thing, I go on binges on a bunch of related things to the point where I can't fully remember one piece of work over another. I do this all the time with books once I get in a "reading mood." It's always at or near to 1 book per day. It's not that I remember each book's more prominent details after the fact; I just really enjoyed experiencing it and didn't mind buzzing through it.

With games, this kind of mood doesn't really work out because I always want to go to a new thing before the game's done. I'm having a rough time forcing myself to finish Bahamut Lagoon, for example. It's not that it's a bad game. It's actually really good! I just find myself wanting to play Final Fantasy Tactics... and then Fire Emblem... and then all the things! :hyper:

Ergroilnin
07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Ohh so far everyone replays at least once in a while. Nice surprise.

I am now playing the P4G, I don't really count that as replaying the P4 since there is alot of new content but I do plan on replaying it immediately after I finish this first playthrough (hard difficulty) on the very hard and I plan on using just the MC, doing all social links, defeating Margaret and probably even getting all the trophies.

metagloria
07-15-2014, 03:49 PM
I have a trove of games that I can't imagine not replaying. I'm always going to be going back through FF1-12 periodically, along with Star Ocean 3, Mega Man Legends, and a few other classics. But with newer games, I find the urge to replay them fading. I've only beaten XIII and XIII-2 once each, and I don't really feel like picking them up again. I borrow games from a friend sometimes (Tales of Vesperia/Graces f/Xillia, Xenoblade) and only really intend to try those out once (although Xenoblade is worth having around forever). But as far as I'm concerned, there will never be a day where I'm done replaying any old favorites.

Bolivar
07-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Haha well, as an aside, I'm actually glad they took the time to go beyond "just another racing sim" and encompass the entirety of Motorsport, from NASCAR and rally racing down to go karting and the quirky but awesome Top Gear challenges. Also, the wait wasn't that bad since they released GT5 Prologue and Gran Turismo PSP, which were both awesome slices of what was to come in GT5.

So to go back to my earlier post, while they could have released a barely iterative "GT4 HD" in a much shorter amount of time, I'm happy they made a much more complete game instead and I think gaming as a medium is much better served that way. I still play GT5, partly because I don't have the save from my old PS3 and partly because I have a 3DTV now but mostly because the game is just that deep, diverse, and enjoyable to play (for me).

Sarisa
07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I guess I'll be the trend breaker. I almost never replay games as I play them mainly for the story, so once I've seen it the game is no longer of interest to me. Even new game + modes where I can get new items, do new sidequests, etc. aren't really worth it considering I'd have to play through the whole game again just for a few new things. The only RPGs that I've replayed are a few Pokemon games and Tales of Phantasia mostly because they we're some of my earliest games so I didn't have anything new to play at the time.

I will re-watch movies though if it's been a few years since I've last seen them, although given the option I prefer to watch new ones.

jodymcdougle
07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
if it's a game with alternate endings, unlockables, etc. then I tend to replay quite a bit.

Madame Adequate
07-16-2014, 07:39 AM
I have to actively force myself to play games outside a core handful I always play. The reason for this is that most of the games I'm really into are pretty freeform and open-ended, like strategy games such as Crusader Kings 2, so there's really as much replayability as a person desires in them. To actually exhaust all possible options in a game like that would take, I dunno, decades? Then again I've been playing Civ IV for a decade and I'm still a novice scrub. :p

Similarly, some games do have pretty firm endings or definable end-states, but they're almost zenlike in nature so the replayability is basically "as long as I want it to be". A great example of this is Dynasty Warriors 8 (which is incidentally the best game in the series since 3 or 4) where I'm committing Wu/Wei/Shu genocide over and over and over, and it doesn't really get any less fun because it's just a solid stupid action game. Probably I'll exhaust the possibilities at some point, but it'll take awhile to get there.

When it comes to games with much firmer endings, whether I replay really depends on my mood. I imagine I'll replay some games - the Suikodens, Breath of Fires, some FFs - now and then for as long as I'm playing games. Some I finish once and put aside fairly confident I'm not going to go back to it. Bolivar was spot on when he said games should be appreciated rather than consumed, and when a game has merits* for an individual, that appreciation might be something close to timeless. Then again, vidya isn't much older than the older members of the forum, so who knows how this will play out when the medium is as old as movies are today?

* I say "has merits" rather than "is good" because I know in my own case there are games I've enjoyed which I can't really argue are actually good, they're just personally enjoyable. Conversely there are games I recognize are excellent but which do nothing for me.

black orb
07-17-2014, 05:10 AM
>>> FF1, I think I`ll play it again for the 200th time..:luca:

Pete for President
07-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Replaying games for life. I've only bought a handful of new games in the last couple years.

Cloudane
07-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Depends.

For the most part I move on, as there are countless games on my "to play" list that people have recommended over the years, so it'd seem a waste to replay existing stuff. That's why I also rarely re-watch TV shows (even the one I'm most nuts about)

FFVII to X-2 are an exception though - I've replayed those loads of times. I don't know why, but they are just obscenely addictive.

Loony BoB
07-17-2014, 12:32 PM
I probably replay 1-2 games per year on average. When I was a kid I replayed games a hell of a lot more than I do now. Now I enjoy the "unknowns" a new game provides.

Of course, some games are designed for replays, such as Football Manager. Some games not so much, like FFXIII - although I expect I'll replay it someday regardless, as I've replayed most FF's I've enjoyed.

I replay about a game every year from my youth, for the nostaglia, and replay a game every year or so that is more recent because of the good replay value.

Christmas
05-15-2022, 09:41 AM
I do especially with remasters nowadays. Nostalgia is priceless and I missed my youth. :(