PDA

View Full Version : DOTA 2 & the International.

Pete for President
07-15-2014, 07:38 AM
With a prizepool of over $10 million dollars the International is probably the biggest video game tournament ever held in the history of e-sports. It's pretty sick: http://www.dota2.com/international/overview/

So who else plays dota? Who's following the tournament? Who's keen to give this free to play game a try and form an EoFF team sometime? :D

Christmas
07-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I do play it but it has one of the worst online community ever, at least for me. People are so rude and aggressive over a game. :mad2:

I quitted.

Pete for President
07-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear the community ruined it for you Christmas! I play with a few friends and that definitely helps the atmosphere in the team :) Can't deny that there's a lot of hate over nothing sometimes.

Agent Proto
07-15-2014, 10:43 AM
I play from time to time, but I'm not very good, and I don't play against other humans for that very reason. I play mostly against bot trying to hone my lack of skills, so I would likely be a liability to any team formed of fellow EoFFers. :D

Aulayna
07-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Couldn't get into DOTA2 personally, for similar reasons to Christmas really.

I used to play League a lot instead, but got into the Alpha of Heroes of the Storm so have been playing that a lot lately.

$10mil is a pretty hefty prize pool though!

Bolivar
07-15-2014, 03:37 PM
I thought me and nirojan were the only ones who played around here! I have a few hundred hours too many clocked on Steam. I would love to form an EoFF team or just group up in 5-stacks to mess around, have fun, and teach newer players who are interested.

I only caught the first night of preliminaries, some really cool games. For those who don't follow the pro scene, the biggest story right now is that last year's champions, [A]lliance, have just been eliminated before the tournament proper could even begin. This is a huge reversal from TI3, where Alliance absolutely stomped every team at the competition, going undefeated in the preliminaries IIRC. Their win rate has declined over the past year, despite having the same lineup I believe. Many were pulling for them to return to form and unveil the super secret strategies they've been saving for the tournament but, alas, it was not meant to be.

Watching TI3 last year while on voicechat with friends, then hopping into games together was some of the most fun I've had in gaming. Really excited to see how things play out this year (go iG!).

Spuuky
07-15-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm extremely good at Dota but I don't care much about the Invitational. Why would I? I just like to play the game.

Also I don't like playing in 5-stacks (even of nice, likable people) because I don't like losing, and it's much easier to win solo.

Bolivar
07-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Wow Spuuky I thought you were pretty anti-Dota last time the topic came up!

Anyway, we probably wouldn't run five stacks in public matchmaking, as I don't know if that many EoFFers are serious about the game. I was thinking more along the lines of bot games to keep it casual and help newer players learn, or, if we had enough players, run scrims against eachother with bots filling any empty spaces.

Spuuky
07-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Dota is objectively inferior in design to League of Legends; but it is still a MOBA and therefore still extremely good. I did play DotA 1 for thousands of games, after all.

Lonely Paper Star
07-16-2014, 07:23 AM
I play Dota 2 (and suck at it) and prefer it over League of Legends and Smite. I play with friends mostly. I tried to teach a few EoFFers the game but I actually don't recommend anyone ask me to teach. I'm horrid at that.

The community is pretty bad sometimes, I admit, but that's something I grew accustomed to.

I've been keeping up with most of the TI4 games and am excited for the main event! :O

Pete for President
07-16-2014, 08:07 PM
I only started playing a couple months ago but I enjoy it thoroughly even if the community is sour every now and then. I find that if you just say a proper hello at the beginning most matches become friendly. It seems to prevent the no talking for the first half of the game and sudden rage in the second half.

Unfortunately my internet at the moment really can't handle playing online but I hope to have that fixed soon and I'd be up for some EoFF party team games!

Bolivar
07-19-2014, 07:44 PM
FYI there are some absolutely amazing matches going down today, up next is an elimination game between Na'Vi and Cloud9. The last one they just finished was an incredible teamfight lineup stomp by Na'Vi.

Lonely Paper Star
07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
I think my favorite TI4 game was Game 2 of Cloud 9 vs. Vici during the main event. So hype~ :lol:

As for the grand finals, I was a little disappointed. Not by who won, but the overall game itself. Was anyone else?

Pike
07-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Awesomenauts is the only MOBA that I actually find fun. I want to watch an international tournament of that!

Dat Matt
07-24-2014, 09:46 PM
The MOBA community is usually quite toxic because a single game can last upwards of an hour before a victor is decided. It's a long time investment where player are criticised for any mistake during this period. Putting so much time into a game only to lose is really frustrating.

The main reason i stopped playing was because I just ran out of time to play. I wanted to play a game after work to get my IP bonus, but playing PVP I couldn't gaurentee a win. So I moved to bot games and then just got bored. It's something I'd like to check into again when I get a better PC though.

escobert
07-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Both of my roommates are hardcore into DoTA2. One more so than the other. I played for awhile when it first came out but like others have said, I hated the community. Of course I suppose the game I love does have one of the worst communities as well lol

Bolivar
07-26-2014, 05:29 PM
I think my favorite TI4 game was Game 2 of Cloud 9 vs. Vici during the main event. So hype~ :lol:

As for the grand finals, I was a little disappointed. Not by who won, but the overall game itself. Was anyone else?

You were certainly not alone:

Anyway, I guess we've reached the point in Dota threads where non-players come in to explain why they don't partake but I would hope you guys could give it another shot if we ever get an EoFF private game going.

Pete for President
08-21-2014, 09:03 AM

I watched this game and it was epic!

My buddy and I started this game blog and he went to the International. He wrote an article about it:

http://gamecrusaders.com/article/water-bottle-4-things-liked-international-4/