PDA

View Full Version : What games can you speedrun?

metagloria
07-15-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm not so much talking about RPGs here, although if you're one of those folks who can lay hands on the Excalibur 2, godspeed.

At a 24-hour video game party last fall, I sat down and blasted through Mega Man Legends in 2:18, and I'm confident I can do better. At another gamer festival this past weekend, I sat down intending to see how quickly I could beat Spyro the Dragon, but got distracted by one of the bands. I've also beaten Super Mario World in 17 minutes, which I think has to be pretty close to a record since I took the shortest possible path and didn't die.

What games can you sit down, pop in, and blast through in a matter of minutes/hours?

Pike
07-15-2014, 03:03 PM
I used to be able to 100% The Lion King (all secrets and powerups) for SNES in about 40 minutes but I definitely can't do that anymore :(

Bubba
07-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

My current fastest time to get everything 100% is 3 hours and 40 mins. I've seen people do it faster but I'm still pretty happy with it!

Ergroilnin
07-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Well I never really liked speedruns, I just hate the pressure that time is ticking away each second but at the end of the last year I actually did FFIX Excalibur II run and got it in around 11:15 in PAL version (that's around 10 hours NTSC, damn 50hz vs 60hz!). I actually have a journal about it here in the FFIX subforum.

Other than that I pretty much didn't do any speedrun but I consider doing ODINS (One Day In, No Save) challenges for each of the classic FFs eventually, so maybe that will count a little then.

Jinx
07-15-2014, 03:50 PM
I've never tried, but I could probably do Ocarina of Time decently.

Pete for President
07-15-2014, 09:45 PM
My record for new game Dark Souls is about 3 hours and 20 minutes. One day I'll do better! On ng+ I've blasted through in under hour and a half I think.

Mirage
07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
i don't like doing them, but i like watching them, just to pick up tips and secrets i didn't know of

Mo-Nercy
07-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I haven't tried, but I reckon I could do FFVIII. It'd be hard to resist the temptation of playing Triple Triad for hours on end though.

Formalhaut
07-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Definitely not! I like to enjoy and take games slowly, so I probably could never do it.

I do enjoy seeing people blitz through games though - I'm always amazed at what they can do!

Scotty_ffgamer
07-17-2014, 06:01 PM
The only game I've ever gotten good enough to probably speed run was the first Metal Gear Solid.

Pumpkin
07-17-2014, 06:03 PM
No games. I cannot speedrun

Psychotic
07-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Used to bash out Metal Gear Solid 3 speedruns nightly for a while at university. On European Extreme I think I managed to get under the two hour mark with 0 kills and 0 times discovered. The favourite run I ever did was a Very Easy 1 hour 35m with 0 kills, 0 times discovered, 0 deaths, 0 damage taken, 0 food eaten run.

The difficult parts are the bosses.

Fynn
07-17-2014, 06:25 PM
I could do FFI in a day. That was pretty rad.

Dat Matt
07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
I've also beaten Super Mario World in 17 minutes, which I think has to be pretty close to a record since I took the shortest possible path and didn't die.

What games can you sit down, pop in, and blast through in a matter of minutes/hours?

Apparently the world record is <10 minutes. This guy has a video for 10:15.

eTmJnn6r-sI

Metroid is also pretty good for speedruns, but I'm not the best at them. I think I could finish fusion in <1 hour.

metagloria
07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
I've also beaten Super Mario World in 17 minutes, which I think has to be pretty close to a record since I took the shortest possible path and didn't die.

Apparently the world record is <10 minutes. This guy has a video for 10:15.

Yeah, I looked this up a few days after posting this. 9:51? Good gracious. How even. Reminds me of when I used to be "really good" at minesweeper (Expert in 89 seconds!), except the world record is like 40.

Mirage
07-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Id's still say that's pretty good though. If I was able to run 100 meters in twice of usain bolt's time, I'd consider me a pretty all right sprinter.

Christmas
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I like to savour my games slowly. :bigsmile:

Like wine. :quina:

or sex. :chocobo:

Pete for President
07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Used to bash out Metal Gear Solid 3 speedruns nightly for a while at university. On European Extreme I think I managed to get under the two hour mark with 0 kills and 0 times discovered. The favourite run I ever did was a Very Easy 1 hour 35m with 0 kills, 0 times discovered, 0 deaths, 0 damage taken, 0 food eaten run.

That's mighty impressive!

I wonder how you do that. On european extreme all I did was crawl on the ground.

metagloria
07-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Id's still say that's pretty good though. If I was able to run 100 meters in twice of usain bolt's time, I'd consider me a pretty all right sprinter.

I'm...not sure I would. Half Usain Bolt's speed is not that fast. But I appreciate your point : )

Mirage
07-18-2014, 06:29 PM

I'm...not sure I would. Half Usain Bolt's speed is not that fast. But I appreciate your point : )

I think i'd need like 30 seconds for sure to run 100 meters, but I'm also probably below average.

Psychotic
07-18-2014, 11:52 PM

That's mighty impressive!

I wonder how you do that. On european extreme all I did was crawl on the ground.There's specific routes where, if you run at full pelt, you can avoid detection by guards. There's also a lot of rolling across ledges/trenches/through barbed wire fences involved too. It's about memory more than anything.

jodymcdougle
07-19-2014, 12:11 AM
I've seen some pretty impressive videos on youtube! however, I don't think that I have the life that could go without any interruptions as far as an RPG title would allow me to do a speed-run. I could breeze through some NES Mario titles or maybe older PC titles like Quake though!

Ayen
07-19-2014, 12:35 AM
I never really done speedruns, but I can blast through Metal Gear Solid in a day.

Rez09
07-21-2014, 12:40 PM
I can run Sonic 2 pretty quickly, but nowhere near as fast as SDA runners do. I lose a lot of time compared to them in Hilltop, Oil Ocean, and Metropolis, as I don't use zipping and can never get under the platforms without dying in Oil Ocean. >_<